Xeiom

[Suggestion for Final Release] Characters feel Remorse..Sorta

Hey Guys, I'll try keep it short to not bore.

I came up with this idea and I'd like to know what the community thinks.

I was just thinking of ways to help discourage kill on sight mentality without putting in unrealistic measures.

The idea is 2 parts.

The idea is that when you shoot a player dead, the game takes a quick screenshot.

The screenshot is then attached to your character. (new characters mean all screenshots get deleted)

The second part is that your character will now get small flashes of the screenshot (blended, not fully screen obscuring)

The more people you kill the more screenshots you acquire and thus the more frequently they appear.

Even a veteran bandit shouldn't be receiving them too frequently(once every 25-35mins?) and it should maybe select just 2 or 3 at a time to flash. Causing no more than 1.5 seconds of disruption and not impairing controls.

This sort of leaves it up to the player if they are actually being bothered by all their kills and helps build up a character in the negative ways the apocalypse might affect your mental status. 

I actually had similar idea in mind once, but then I realized it's a stupid one.

• Like 1

I actually had similar idea in mind once, but then I realized it's a stupid one.

That leaves very little in the way of narrative. Any reasons you feel this is more detrimental than positive?

That leaves very little in the way of narrative. Any reasons you feel this is more detrimental than positive?

Mainly because it would be more of an annoyance than actual feature to decrease KoS. It doesn't seem very realistic either, because what if you killed in self defense? What if it was accident, etc? Not every human mind would get flashes of that memory.

Mainly because it would be more of an annoyance than actual feature to decrease KoS. It doesn't seem very realistic either, because what if you killed in self defense? What if it was accident, etc? Not every human mind would get flashes of that memory.

I think people that are forced to kill in self defence or as an accident are actually more likely to receive vivid recollections than those going out to kill for sport.

People with very low kill rates might not experience this at all or only once every few hours.

The idea is to be an annoyance but to also be unpredictable. Something that frequent killers will suffer more than the occasional kill.

It's true that not every human would necessarily get the flashes which could be accounted for with some background math, however not every human has the exact same shoe size and so far that's not an issue in the game!

Not the worst Idea ive heard, but still, I dont think this would detriment people at all tbh, 1.5 seconds of disruption every half an hour? And that's not me saying "Make it happen more often" either. I just dont think it would work well. 

I believe Rocket wants everything to be spontaneous. So I don't think this "forced flashback" idea is what he wants.

There's actually no big point to discuss this, we all know that rocket wouldn't even put something like this in the game.

I believe Rocket wants everything to be spontaneous. So I don't think this "forced flashback" idea is what he wants.

Yeah I suppose this might not align with Rockets vision of the game.

I don't think this would affect how spontaneous things are, if anything it might make the game a tiny bit more unpredictable.

I mainly suggest it because I feel that while hunger, thirst, and physical health are all accounted for in the game. Mental health is a very real aspect of survival and seems reasonably under represented.

Not the worst Idea ive heard, but still, I dont think this would detriment people at all tbh, 1.5 seconds of disruption every half an hour? And that's not me saying "Make it happen more often" either. I just dont think it would work well. 

I agree that it's unlikely to work well, this sort of thing really requires a top notch implementation and I dare say for a game like DayZ more time investment to add correctly than worthwhile investing. Other features would likely take less time and add more to the game as a result.

There's actually no big point to discuss this, we all know that rocket wouldn't even put something like this in the game.

I'm not so sure, Rocket seems very fond of representing survival and mental health is not represented directly. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar to this was added. 

Brainstorming is a very powerful tool for creative media, sometimes bringing up and idea is useful not because the idea itself is going to be used but rather someone elses contribution brings forth a really great idea. 

What if repeated exposure to traumatic situations (being shot, killing others, zombie orgies, etc.) caused psychological damage? What if future exposures had a chance to trigger panic? Your character might start making noises like when in pain, perhaps the occasional jitter. Stuff that might give you away, but with minimal impact, ideally.

I think the idea of someone being shot at and then immediately shouting, "Wuagh, no no no no no, not again!" to be absolutely hilarious.

I don't think screen flashing with a layered picture is very good, plus would look ugly and overriding control of the screen i don't think is wise as i don't think taking control off of the player is a fair trade off.

I do like the concept of mental illness though but whispers i think would be more appropriate as that can make the actual player paranoid not just forcing something upon the games character; if you're walking through a field alone then you hear someone whisper something that you can't quite make out it'll make you paranoid and it also means each actual player would react differently some players might not even be effected by ghostly whispers or voices in their head, might be normal for them lol

Edit: grammar

Edited by twingunz

Mental illness and hallucinations are a neat idea, just not as a means to punish people for killing other players.

We've all been through Hell and back. We all murder humans every day. The infected are not zombies, they're people. Sick people but people nonetheless. One presumes that though the models do not exist, some of these infected are children. You're slaughtering men, women and their kids every day. Your family's gone, probably dead. Maybe you even had to kill them yourself to save your own life. You probably watched your wife eat the face off one of your children.

So, yeah. If I'm crazy for shooting a couple survivors, you're crazy too. We should all be a little bit crazy.