scaramoosh

Does any one else feel burnt out already?

What made the mod exciting for me was it was hard, I felt threatened and death felt punishing. However now I'm used to it, I can run anywhere really fast, the map doesn't feel endless like it used to and if I die I don't care. The other thing I noticed is players are largely just crap in the SA, I never died once when playing to other players, killed everyone I saw... I had one guy who shot at me, forgot I was there and run past me........ wtf? It also doesn't help that the Zombies might as well not even be there and no vehicles makes getting around rather tedious, I just turn auto run on and make myself a cup of tea.

I don't think even with new content that I'll be coming back any time soon, just one of those things where you've played it so much and it is time to move on. Like I've never played a game for more than 20 hours usually, Dayz kept me for 10 times that and the only other game I played for that long was SWG Pre CU. So it did well but I wish they didn't bother with the network stuff, I just don't see what it adds, no one I know cares about it or is even aware. For me hackers wasn't an issue, just join the whitelist thing and sorted...

U still only talk about killing ppl. Have you ever thought about another way to play Dayz? We have suggested some things, maybe try this out and then return to this topic. I don't disapprove your playstyle but you keep on complaining about boring gameplay while sticking too the same way to play the game. U say the game is to easy, well use your skills and knowledge helping the freshspawns and newcomers who don't think the game is to easy. 

Edited by Hershel Green

Whoever feels burned out should just take a break and wait for some big patch, then try again.

With loot being so limited now, it is pointless to hoard anything, but you can still play for the experience, as somebody here already mentioned. Try more interacting with folks, if you die so what? It's not like you can not find your M4 in next 30 minutes anyway.

And yes, I'm also looking forward for them to fix zombies and have 3000 of them on the server.

To have more guns (oh my AK's where are thou), more clothing, add cars, more faces for your ingame hero and other super cool goodies.

I don't think the length of time that they took to release tha game has anything to do with it, I think the lack of content means that it doesn't have the same amount of replay value that the mod did.

We need more weapons, more clothing and more items in general. In the mod you would find an Enfield, then an M4 or an AK and then an M14 or FAL. You had to work your way up. Now you just find an M4.

This will come with time, just be patient.

I think what we really need is PROPER (scary, dangerous) ZOMBIES.

that's what I got into dayz for in the first place a year ago.

been waiting ever since for real zombies...like in ROAMING HORDES OF MANEATING CORPSES.

couldnt fucking care less about new clothes or some other cosmetical shit.

There is only a fraction of the games total content in atm. I think when vehicles, bases and respawning zeds/ loot with full loot tables of hundreds of diffrent items comes in, It will get a lot more interesting for ya. As someone else said atm patience is key. If your already feeling burnt out id say maybe dont play for a while, maybe a monththen come back and see all the new stuff. Then next mont the same and so on. 

Im trying very hard not to do this to myself lol. Iv capped myself at you can fully search one town each session, then log. Also trying not to play every night, maybe two or 3 times a week. Too much of a good thing me thinks :)

I didn't get bored, didn't play it long enough to get bored due to starting at the coast almost every time I logged in, but it did get me in the mood to play the mod again which I have not in almost a year. Got the Epoch mod and I'm having a blast! I'll just play it and watch the forums till they get things running better with SA.

I don't think the length of time that they took to release tha game has anything to do with it, I think the lack of content means that it doesn't have the same amount of replay value that the mod did.

We need more weapons, more clothing and more items in general. In the mod you would find an Enfield, then an M4 or an AK and then an M14 or FAL. You had to work your way up. Now you just find an M4.

This. I also think they should make some guns extremly rare like 0.01% drop chance, i love hunting rare guns that only few people have and when you get that gun you get so excited and try to survive long as posibble to keep it.

Hello there

As has been mentioned, why not take a break until some game changers come along?

Or even better, wait until its open for modding?

You've evidently got your money's worth and its hard to expect one game to keep you permanently engaged.

Ive just started playing A3 as its only now IMHO that there are enough mods and its mature enough for me.

You strike me as a glass half empty type of person, so you may well think that nothing *could* be added to change your mind, but you have nothing to lose by waiting and seeing what turns up.

Take a break and come back refreshed.

Rgds

LoK

I agree 100% people need to have patience, the .357 Revolver was just added, I have yet to find one. But importantly, paitence is key at this point!

I've definitely noticed a bit of burning out, but playing the mod since release for 4~5 months I know that content patches are released in quick succession so I'm not worried too much if I have to take a week or two off. The biggest things that are causing my burn out currently are (and sort of a suggestion on how to fix it):

Lack of Gear Progression and Proper Loot Tiers:

While I enjoy the completeness of the current guns there is definitely a feeling of stagnation and ease to the current gear progression. Finding key combat items like the combat vest and ballistics helmet usually only take 1 trip to a military base of your choice, and while the finding the Mosin is a rewarding experience due to its generally rarity the M4 seems as rewarding as finding your first makarov after spawning. Tiered spawns [Residential > Low tier Military (Balota, Stary Sobor) > Mid Tier Military (NW/NE Airfield) > High Tier Military (Heli Crash Sites)] are currently absent in the game, which makes the general flow of loot progression lack any direction and predictability, which is causing players to be completely scattered among the countless added military spawn locations.

Lack of Danger:

DayZ is a simple game at it's base and even with the countless mods and items added it is at its core a psychological experience that makes the user want to keep playing. The thrill of impending danger and paranoia is a staple that seems to be missing from the standalone possibly due to the current server player cap, but more likely due to the previous point. Walking through previously high risk / high reward areas such as Balota, Cherno, Electro, and even NW/NE airfield without ever getting shot at has created an even stronger feeling of DayZ: Hiking Simulator than previously felt in the mod.

Rewards / Risks of Combat:

Engaging an armed player usually only met two possible outcomes: You die, or he does. The psychological effects of dying suck, but losing all your hard earned stuff sucked more.. but the possibility of killing that player and taking their fancy new weapons that may just happen to be much rarer than yours (FN Fal, or similar) was a worthwhile risk back in the mod. As it stands now dying to another player means I have to server hop to regain all my lost gear (which usually only takes an hour tops, and is a predictable outcome due to loot tables) OR I kill him and two things happen: He stays in the game and I loot his body only to find that he is literally a carbon copy of my character with nothing but bullets worth scavenging or he leaves the server due to the respawn bug (or rage quit) his body disappears and I get nothing. Back in the mod there was a problem with bodies disappearing sometimes and it was really frustrating when it happened ONCE in a day, but now that combat involves this issue literally 95% of the time it makes PVP not worth while in the least, even for what little it offers currently.

Lack of Endgame Options:

Once you've got gear there is simply nothing to do. You can't camp out an area because there are about 40 places to get the handful of items in the game, you can't repair a vehicle, and you can't attempt to progress your character further through gear because that doesn't exist either. After attaining what you want to the game boils down to trying to find the other 39 people in the game and interacting with them in some way or another. Problem with that is the map is so large and hotspots are so scattered that the chances of finding another player who isn't a completely fresh spawn is slim to none unless you server hop to a fresh reset and hope for more server hoppers. The fact of the matter is the map and all its additions were designed around the goal of 150 players a server, and with just under a third of that currently available it just doesn't deliver the proper experience.

Don't get me wrong I love standalone and I'm aware that rocket doesn't recommend getting the game because it is in the current condition it is, but this list was more of a response to the thread as well as  what I feel is solid feedback.

Edited by CDriVe1335

Before people moan I know this is an alpha.

I was so excited when it launched and for a couple of days after I played a lot with friends. However I had a hard time getting all my gaming friends to buy it, most didn't as they got bored of Dayz with the mod, so I only had 2 other friends who would play. Come day three and they both stopped and said they're bored of Dayz in general (as they didn't go back to the mod) and because it's just not enough of a leap forward, it's a leap backwards in many cases. 

I found myself bored after that too, I played a day longer and I had all the loot the game has to offer for high end like what do you do now? The only thing the game promotes is to kill other players, if you don't then what else is there? I could try to help people out, but that isn't really fun as most the time they shoot you, but also there is nothing to do with them but kill other people. 

I just realised they took too long to release the SA, I become bored of this game with the mod they allowed me to play for over a year since the SA was originally announced for. I've played that mod like 200 hours and usually with any game you become burnt after that, I've never even played an MMO that long. I kinda just feel like how I do with COD or BF... I've played them too much in the past, I'm done, I need something new.

I think you answered the reason for your boredom with your first sentence. " Before people moan I know this is an alpha. "  If you are playing to have fun and get some lulz then you shouldn't of bought the game as of now. I will direct you to this stickied thread.....

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/155089-is-it-worth-buying-dayz-standalone-yet-rocket-response/

You shouldn't be playing to have fun and get to end game. You should be playing to find bugs and report. There simply isn't enough content to be playing this game seriously at the minute and probably not for the next 12 months. Come back when the game is ready, you're clearly not cut out for alpha testing or simply do not understand the concept of it. Not trying to be rude, just trying to be brutally honest. The same goes for others who feel "burned out" already. 

Edited by Ammo

Well, how about establishing some goals for yourself?

Examples:

1. Help other people. Collect food, can openers and other essential stuff and give it away to bambis.

2. Hunt bandits. Look for campers, assault them and yell "Die, you bandit scumbag".

3. Became a bandit, but not a murderer. Ambush people, make them surrender and make them give away something, but not *everything*. Like "Two cans of beans or life!".

Sandbox games aren't for everyone, sad but some people lack imagination and require a carefully staged experience in order to have fun. 

I'm role playing a Chernorussian immigration officer now, approach fresh spawns and demand papers, first in Russian and then ask for a valid entry visa in English. It's been hilarious. 

• Like 1

I was so excited when it launched and for a couple of days after I played a lot with friends. However I had a hard time getting all my gaming friends to buy it, most didn't as they got bored of Dayz with the mod, so I only had 2 other friends who would play. Come day three and they both stopped and said they're bored of Dayz in general (as they didn't go back to the mod) and because it's just not enough of a leap forward, it's a leap backwards in many cases. 

I found myself bored after that too, I played a day longer and I had all the loot the game has to offer for high end like what do you do now? The only thing the game promotes is to kill other players, if you don't then what else is there? I could try to help people out, but that isn't really fun as most the time they shoot you, but also there is nothing to do with them but kill other people. 

I just realised they took too long to release the SA, I become bored of this game with the mod they allowed me to play for over a year since the SA was originally announced for. I've played that mod like 200 hours and usually with any game you become burnt after that, I've never even played an MMO that long. I kinda just feel like how I do with COD or BF... I've played them too much in the past, I'm done, I need something new.

The game is like a good wine, the older it gets the better. This is purely a foundation and will only get better and better surely?

What? You got bored and burnt out playing an alpha lacking a lot of the content "a lot" and have done all you think there is to do? Say it isn't so. 

hang up the game for a few months then come back and check out what has changed.

Me... I am going to have fun scouting out all the new locations and buildings that are hidden around the map. I have passed places where I can see cities will be built that will rival Elektro in size or maybe even Cherno. I have seen the new cliffs and train stations. I have found the edges of the map on multiple sides and wanted to drop notes saying, "Here there be monsters", if they wouldn't simply be reset when the server restarted... :)

Theres a lack of things to do no doubt about that and if dayz was the only game I had Id go insane.

We just got to wait for it to mature, 

Also we are lacking all the good servers, I really miss those 1000 vehicle self blood bag and spawn with a weapon  24/7 day servers because they were the funniest. 

kidding, don't  crucify me

I have a hammer and some sticks... now if I could find some nails. 

I'm with OP, I'm getting a little burnt out too... on the Alpha.

Yes there is very little point to the game right now. Other than scavenge/die/scavenge/die/scavenge/die there is zero point to this game RIGHT NOW. Once they start adding features like camps/bases where you can horde things and re-start there instead of randomly on the coast, or missions requiring player cooperation or making your way to a certain city to radio for evac. Point is, yes.. the Alpha is boring and pointless for gamers. It is meant to iron out bugs and improve stability/security. It's not meant for entertainment at this point, it is merely a byproduct right now. As it progresses they will shift focus to player entertainment.

I'm burnt out of the Alpha, therefore I will stop playing for now. Will I stop playing for good? Unlikely

Theres a lack of things to do no doubt about that and if dayz was the only game I had Id go insane.

We just got to wait for it to mature, 

Also we are lacking all the good servers, I really miss those 1000 vehicle self blood bag and spawn with a weapon  24/7 day servers because they were the funniest. 

Ur right. Those where the best dayz of Dayz....It was really funny to see overbody driving and flying around in military vehicles after a big apocalypse...fully geared with modern weapons and ghillie suits. I think that would be a very realistic simulation of what would happen....after a apocalypse....in a remote place on te planet...with lots of poor ppl...having state of the art weapons....  :P

I'm with OP, I'm getting a little burnt out too... on the Alpha.

Yes there is very little point to the game right now. Other than scavenge/die/scavenge/die/scavenge/die there is zero point to this game RIGHT NOW. Once they start adding features like camps/bases where you can horde things and re-start there instead of randomly on the coast, or missions requiring player cooperation or making your way to a certain city to radio for evac. Point is, yes.. the Alpha is boring and pointless for gamers. It is meant to iron out bugs and improve stability/security. It's not meant for entertainment at this point, it is merely a byproduct right now. As it progresses they will shift focus to player entertainment.

I'm burnt out of the Alpha, therefore I will stop playing for now. Will I stop playing for good? Unlikely

Lol. As if there was any point in the mod...Like the OP I think you are tired with the concept. And I don't think a couple of addons will make you less bored.

Ur right. Those where the best dayz of Dayz....It was really funny to see overbody driving and flying around in military vehicles after a big apocalypse...fully geared with modern weapons and ghillie suits. I think that would be a very realistic simulation of what would happen....after a apocalypse....in a remote place on te planet...with lots of poor ppl...having state of the art weapons....  :P

It makes sense actually.  With most of the population turned into zombies, there would be all those vehicles and weapons just lying around for the taking.  I liked those 1000 vehicle servers.  They had a more frantic "the world is going to shit and everyone is trying to grab what they can" feel, vs the isolated I Am Legend feel of Vanilla Mod.  IMHO of course. 

I can see the OPs point.  I'm actually not playing the SA that much because I don't want to get burned out on M4A1s, rotten fruit and beanie caps before all the good stuff goes in.

I quit playing the mod months ago just for this very reason, didnt want to be burnt out on DayZ just as the alpha was coming out.  Loving SA so far.  :D    :thumbsup: 

Like you said, It's alpha. It have a alot of missing contents and such so why you buy it if you know you will get bored? maybe just wait a couple a month and come back and see whats new