rjcollins

PvP slider

Thought came to me as I was reading some of the KoS threads. Anyone who's familiar with Star Citizen will know what I mean, but I'll give a rundown.

Star Citizen is looking to make available to it's players a pvp slider that will let you indicate your preference (note preference) to what degree of pvp you would like to engage in, and would match you up with others according to that preference. Now there is no guarantee that you would not meet other players in space as has been indicated over at Star Citizen as your geographical location also influences that pvp preference. If you're in a dangerous part of space, your slider preference means less as it's supposed to be dangerous where you are. Some zoning for the map, such as towns and villages being "safer" than the cities, where the chance of running into another player is higher due to the danger level being higher.

Star Citizen will allow you to adjust the slider, but only while landed on a planet. I'm not sure how to allow for adjustments in DayZ since there is no similar "docking" mechanic. Perhaps a timelock where your slider must be where you set it for a minimum of X hours.

EDIT: There seems to be some confusion how the slider works, so let's see if I can clear it up.

If everyone set their slider to 0, the chance that anyone would run into anybody would be highly remote. Part of the slider's function is that it creates the encounter instances according to your preferences and anyone else you might encounter.

For example, if I were to wander into Lopalito with a slider setting of 0, and someone else wandered in with a slider setting of 0, there's a very, very, very small chance we would get the same encounter instance. However, if I wandered into town with a preference of 0, and someone else wandered in with a preference of let's say 10, the max on this hypothetical slider, there's a higher chance the encounter instance would put us together, despite my slider being at 0. No guarantee that an encounter would happen, but it's a higher possibility than if both parties had it set to 0.

Here are some abbreviated points:

http://starcitizenstuff.wordpress.com/2013/06/06/on-the-player-interaction-slider/

Edited by rjcollins
  • Like 2

Slides to non PVP server, kills everyone.

Your encounter chance would be slim at best. So of the few people you saw you could certainly kill them if you so desire. Again, no guarantees on not having an encounter as that's influenced by where you are as well.

• Like 1

PvP indicators above players heads? Sounds like a step backwards toward the DayZ mod's humanity system. No artificial "gamey" behavior indicators on my avatar please.

• Like 1

I don't understand the benefits to this at all.

There would be nothing but abuse. How would your encounter chance be lower if EVERYONE set their slider to 0? Sounds like the lower your slider, the more PvP you're going to face.

Also, this will never be implemented; Rocket wants to encourage nothing but organic player interaction, and "zoning" or a feature like this completely goes against that creed.

• Like 1

Just give some sausage lad.

...what kind'a sausage ye lookin'fer?

• Like 1

Edited original post with clarifications as it evidently wasn't clear the first time.

PvP slider in DayZ

clint-eastwood-cannot-unsee-what-has-bee

Also I'm VERY skeptic of the success of the PvP slider in SC, the main thing I'm worried about is the community being split into two and the carebears turtle up in their own little world.

• Like 2

Taking stuff way out of context here.

First of all the PVP slider in Star Citizen doesn't determine how often you will have combat. Only how often encounters will feature real players instead of NPCs. The PVP slider is not intended to reduce chance of conflict.

If you don't want to play with other people. UNINSTALL THE GAME! this game is multiplayer only.. it clearly states that when you buy it.. I have no problem with people killing me, i just have problems with people combat logging being little virgin pussies that don't what their cherry popped! GROW A PAIR OF BALLS

Why not make a system, sort of like GTA 5's bad sport system, that tracks stats and puts you in a game with people of about the same stats as you. It could track how many people you have killed that didn't have a gun and give you the "bad sport tag" making a higher chance of being placed in a game with other bandits. Of course this wouldn't work with the current selecting a server but its just an idea.

• Like 1

Why not make a system, sort of like GTA 5's bad sport system, that tracks stats and puts you in a game with people of about the same stats as you. It could track how many people you have killed that didn't have a gun and give you the "bad sport tag" making a higher chance of being placed in a game with other bandits. Of course this wouldn't work with the current selecting a server but its just an idea.

+1

There'd have to be some sort of server work done for matchmaking to be a thing. I don't know how attached we are to having to use the current server tech we got, but it seems some kind of matchmaking would relieve some of the woes people are experiencing.

That aside...

I'm all for the most hardcore experience possible myself. That does not mean that I have the right to shove that experience onto others. I should be placed with those that want that same, hardcore experience.

• Like 1

Thought came to me as I was reading some of the KoS threads. Anyone who's familiar with Star Citizen will know what I mean

blasphemy.gif

And SC isn't out yet. It's not even close.

• Like 1

Here! I implemented a PvP slider for DayZ:

[PvP]------------------------------------[]-------------------------------------------[PvE]

[DayZ]-----------------------------------[WoW]--------------------[barbie Horse Adventures]

Slide at will.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

+1

There'd have to be some sort of server work done for matchmaking to be a thing. I don't know how attached we are to having to use the current server tech we got, but it seems some kind of matchmaking would relieve some of the woes people are experiencing.

That aside...

I'm all for the most hardcore experience possible myself. That does not mean that I have the right to shove that experience onto others. I should be placed with those that want that same, hardcore experience.

I mean I honestly like the idea of discouraging the KoS mentality, but letting people chose how likely they are to run into action directly is a bad idea. And this shouldn't change how likely people are to run into others (because thats nearly impossible to control), but just place players with other people with the same thinking.

If they want to kill on sight, let them also be killed on sight.

Edit: PvP is fun! Fun to watch sometimes to from a nearby area. It shouldnt be discouraged, but killing unarmed people is just ridiculous.

Edited by kg360
  • Like 1

There is no way to determine "rate of encounters" in DayZ, if 2 players head to the same place on the same server, they will see each other, there is no way for any way this could work without a complete rewrite, and it won't even be attempted as its not that kind of game.

Edit: Matchmaking isn't suitable for DayZ, as this isn't a PvP game, its a survival game set in a zombie apocalypse, that allows unrestricted player interaction(so yes, PvP exists), it'd be silly to "matchmake".

Though, just thinking about some kind of "quick play" button, that is feasible, and would choose a decent ping server to put you on, if such a thing was implemented, there might be an option for low/high/don't care population servers, in which if you select low as your preference, itll find the lowest population server with a decent ping and put you on it, now "lowest population" might still end up being 30 people during busy times, the only way to get around this would be to manually go and find a low population server, which is the current way you connect to a server anyway.

Edited by Atomizer

If you don't want to play with other people. UNINSTALL THE GAME! this game is multiplayer only.. it clearly states that when you buy it.. I have no problem with people killing me, i just have problems with people combat logging being little virgin pussies that don't what their cherry popped! GROW A PAIR OF BALLS

Your behaviour is unnecessary. Please don't.

• Like 1

Dayz is a game with perma death and military grade weaponry. It is a hardcore survival game. Its not some my little pony friendship forever farming game. If you are seeing people and are not equipped to defend yourself you are playing wrong. Learn to adapt and avoid players. KOS is a survival method. If you are not in my teamspeak have a gun and i can not avoid you, you are near a gun, or you have something I need I am going to scrub the floor with you. People want create convoluted methods of marking players who kill each other or expect rocket to make the number ONE survival method have huge repercussions. Learn to manage your defense not ask rocket to.

Dayz is a game with perma death and military grade weaponry. It is a hardcore survival game. Its not some my little pony friendship forever farming game. If you are seeing people and are not equipped to defend yourself you are playing wrong. Learn to adapt and avoid players. KOS is a survival method. If you are not in my teamspeak have a gun and i can not avoid you, you are near a gun, or you have something I need I am going to scrub the floor with you. People want create convoluted methods of marking players who kill each other or expect rocket to make the number ONE survival method have huge repercussions. Learn to manage your defense not ask rocket to.

When we complain about the KoS gameplay style, were not talking about shooting somebody who has a gun or an ax or is running towards you. We are refering to those who kill freshspawns or anyone without any way to defend theirselves. Holding up soneone and feeding them dysinfectant is not "surviving"

Edited by Guest