Nariquo (DayZ)

Kill on sight... my group is doing it now

not sure why everyone is complaining about combat logging. lets say you do kill them before they log theri body goes done and by the time you get near to loot htem their body will be gone as if they click "respawn" or "exit" their body disappears i confirmed this as one of my friends valted over a balcony(lawls) in cherno died he respawned somehow miraculously in cherno but the second he clicked respawn his body disappeared

HOWEVER i do agree with logging out into a different server to reposition is complete bullshit i posted in a different furom where servers shoudln't carry over items/characters but everyone disagreed with me. Apparnelty they look having a combat logger disappear pop up in a tower and kill you.

Edited by Ynneead

Are you serious? The other is a game-breaking exploit and the other is a playstyle. How are these in any way comparable?

How are they not comparable? People are saying that this is a "sandbox" game, play how you want, etc etc etc. KOS can be considered game-breaking to those being killed repeatedly. This is a back-and-forth argument that cannot be resolved by telling the opposite side to knock it off. The OP basically states "I don't like what you're doing, so I'm going to retaliate by doing the action that is causing you to do what I don't want you to do." How is that productive? Exploit or no, it's simply the other side of the coin.

• Like 1

not sure why everyone is crying about combat logging. lets say you do kill them before they log theri body goes done and by the time you get near to loot htem their body will be gone as if they click "respawn" or "exit" their body disappears i confirmed this as one of my friends valted over a balcony(lawls) in cherno died he respawned somehow miraculously in cherno but the second he clicked respawn his body disappeared

The issue isn't a dead body disappearing (though that bug does need to be fixed).  The issue is people avoiding being killed, attacked, interacting in any way shape or form through the use of killing the game.  This prevents them from being killed/attacked, whether they are geared or not geared.  Depending on the person, and what that person was doing, will lead to them just going about their business on a different server or reposition on a different server and then going back onto that previous server.

That is a serious problem that needs to be addressed or we're going to just keep going down the horrible road we had with the official vanilla dayz hive in the mod.

How are they not comparable? People are saying that this is a "sandbox" game, play how you want, etc etc etc. KOS can be considered game-breaking to those being killed repeatedly. This is a back-and-forth argument that cannot be resolved by telling the opposite side to knock it off. The OP basically states "I don't like what you're doing, so I'm going to retaliate by doing the action that is causing you to do what I don't want you to do." How is that productive? Exploit or no, it's simply the other side of the coin.

Uhh, because KOS is a choice in the game and not a game design/bug that prevents people from playing.  Just because someone is KOS does not mean they did not get to play the game.  They were KOS due to their own problem of not having situational awareness.  That is not game-breaking when that person just didn't do what they needed to do to survive.  And that is regardless of how geared/ungeared they are or how fresh of a spawn they are.  I can escape just fine as a fresh spawn because I am actually aware of my surroundings and any potential threats and threat areas.  So I act accordingly.  But because other people can't figure out simple survivability skills it is game breaking to be KOS?

Sandbox games give people choices.  The choice to KOS that person.  The choice to loot a house.  But if I choose to loot a house I now have the choice to just rush in without looking around, or the choice of looking around while I go in there.  The choice of how I exit the house will also have an impact on whether or not I am KOS.

I am someone who does KOS.  And it amazes me how oblivious a lot of people are that I shoot.  It's baffling.  In a game where your primary goal is to survive, and you know people KOS, how can you not be always looking around and playing in a way to make being shot difficult?

Uhh, because KOS is a choice in the game and not a game design/bug that prevents people from playing.  Just because someone is KOS does not mean they did not get to play the game.  They were KOS due to their own problem of not having situational awareness.  That is not game-breaking when that person just didn't do what they needed to do to survive.  And that is regardless of how geared/ungeared they are or how fresh of a spawn they are.  I can escape just fine as a fresh spawn because I am actually aware of my surroundings and any potential threats and threat areas.  So I act accordingly.  But because other people can't figure out simple survivability skills it is game breaking to be KOS?

Sandbox games give people choices.  The choice to KOS that person.  The choice to loot a house.  But if I choose to loot a house I now have the choice to just rush in without looking around, or the choice of looking around while I go in there.  The choice of how I exit the house will also have an impact on whether or not I am KOS.

I am someone who does KOS.  And it amazes me how oblivious a lot of people are that I shoot.  It's baffling.  In a game where your primary goal is to survive, and you know people KOS, how can you not be always looking around and playing in a way to make being shot difficult?

Once again, you're part of the crowd arguing in circles.

There are two things everyone should consider at this point in time:

1. The ability to instantaneously disconnect is available within the game with no repercussions.

2. Many people do not like to get killed on sight, and if they continually get killed on sight, they are more likely to use the ability to instantaneously disconnect from the game.

You can argue all you want about the ethical nature of combat logging, how you should be able to KOS, etc. However, understand that your arguments will not further your position and are simply filler. The entire debate is a moot point as long as the above two facts remain true.

• Like 2

Tommy, you are really bad at debate, bro.

It's not a moot point. One's a play style, albeit a dickheaded one that, yes, will lend to people using the exploit more. But you yourself recognized it as an exploit...so how is the argument moot? B/c Rocket is on vacation and can't patch it this week? Wtf are you babbling about. It is a clear problem, has been since the mod, and anyone in any way defending is a toolbag who probably does it himself. 

Edited by slow_ri0t
  • Like 1

Tommy, you are really bad at debate, bro.

It's not a moot point. One's a play style, albeit a dickheaded one that, yes, will lend to people using the exploit more. But you yourself recognized it as an exploit...so how is the argument moot? B/c Rocket is on vacation and can't patch it this week? Wtf are you babbling about. It is a clear problem, has been since the mod, and anyone in any way defending is a toolbag who probably does it himself. 

You are really bad at comprehension, bro.

You have validated my point explicitly. OP is complaining about people using an exploit yet is going to increase the behavior which causes more people to use the exploit. This is a cycle that will continue, thus making the debate moot.

• Like 2

we dont campe we are going from the north cost, the whole cost to balota and back again. and everyone is logging of.

and really. we DID A 10 HOURS search in the north. no one there.

dont care everyone will be shot now, till it is changed. have fun

I will find you, and I will kill you.

Since the start of SA we were friendly or robbed people but never killed people, even if we lost people.

BUT

since 2 day everyone is logging out if they see another group that is no fun anymore. because of that we shoot on sight now till they implement something against combat logging. 

today we were 5 hours at the coast. we engaged 10 people. and 10 people logged of. really only pussies in that game

So...you're friendly but because people are logging out before you can be "friendly" to them, you're killing them now?  Well...makes sense to me!

• Like 3

lawl. Camping new spawns on the coast...using your m4's against their axes im guessing? Silly KoS'ers. Try something challenging like being a wasteland medic or a true bandit by holding up ppl near the northern roads...and NOT killing them.

• Like 2

your KD will be ruined forever.

Oh god, get out. Get out now..

• Like 1

Combat loggers are doing this, yet you say they shouldn't. You cannot apply rules only when it suits your purpose. If people don't like combat logging the instant someone is engaged, then they should stop killing people the instant they're engaged. Both sides are causing a repeating pattern of behavior, and only telling the other side to stop will never work.

Combat logging, body disappearing, ect, is part of the game, and we have to deal with it. The aspect of the sandbox does not change. The way people play the sandbox is up to them, no one has to camp the coast, no one has to combat log, no one has to server hop, but they can if they want to. Why? Its a sandbox. Thats why.

So you roam the spawn points looking for people to kill, and get mad when people log out, people who probably have had a hard time finding some food and other supplies since you're camping the coast and grabbing all the food.  They most likely log out to preserve what little loot they have found.  From what I've seen most of the people staying on the coast are either A.) NEW and are just learning the game. or B.) People looking to kill fresh spawns with their recently looted Balota M4's.  So not only are you roaming the coast looking to kill fresh spawns, but people new to the game who don't know what is going on.

As for combat logging, Dean said they were gonna implement something eventually (can't remember if he gave a time frame), where the first server hop was 30 seconds between getting in and then increase incrementally to prevent server hoppers.

EDIT:  I in no way condone combat logging, it sucks, but so does a group of people camping the coast killing fresh spawns.

Edited by ThePieKing
  • Like 5

got to this statement and laughed at the irony

today we were 5 hours at the coast. we engaged 10 people. and 10 people logged of. really only pussies in that game  

really? LMFAO!

• Like 5

Why should people stick around?

They log off and try a different server because the play experience with ten people running up and down the coast killing new spawns is going to be shit.

It's not hard to understand.

Edit: INB4 "but we worked hard to shit up that server, people should at least have to experience the shitfest we have engineered long enough for us to get our kicks"

Edited by Jace C

Since the start of SA we were friendly or robbed people but never killed people, even if we lost people.

BUT

since 2 day everyone is logging out if they see another group that is no fun anymore. because of that we shoot on sight now till they implement something against combat logging. 

I am gonna kill you all. Then I eat your turkey, then I steal your x-mas presents.

Edited by icedon

Combat logging, body disappearing, ect, is part of the game, and we have to deal with it. The aspect of the sandbox does not change. The way people play the sandbox is up to them, no one has to camp the coast, no one has to combat log, no one has to server hop, but they can if they want to. Why? Its a sandbox. Thats why.

Rocket has already talked about combat logging.  It's going to be addressed.  Everyone just needs to stop getting their panties in a bunch and be patient.  There's a lot of work going on under the hood as well.  Once a logout/dc delay/cooldown is implemented then everyone can be "friendly" to all the coasties they want with impunity.

BUT

just had it 2 seconds ago, i shot some people on the balota sniper hill and they just run away and logged... fucking noobs. And if someone say i am a bad shot, i am not the grass stoped my bulleds couse the grass is bulletproof

Combat loggers are doing this, yet you say they shouldn't. You cannot apply rules only when it suits your purpose. If people don't like combat logging the instant someone is engaged, then they should stop killing people the instant they're engaged. Both sides are causing a repeating pattern of behavior, and only telling the other side to stop will never work.

One side are being dicks, the others are cheating. See the difference?

Combat logging, ghosting, and body disappearing are examples of cheating or a glitch (the body disappearing). Sure we have to deal with it but do not put it on the same level as a play style that was an intended feature. Being a jerk in DayZ is part of the game, I might not like the fact that far too many people lean that direction but I would never call KoS cheating. I would definitely call combat logging, server hopping, and ghosting cheating. You could say both break the game, but you can not call KoS cheating so there is a huge difference. 

Edited by Zombie Jesus
  • Like 3

The funny thing is there not logging off. When you kill someone and they respawn there body will disappear its a bug right know. Plus shooting someone damages there gear so what's the point.

The funny thing is there not logging off. When you kill someone and they respawn there body will disappear its a bug right know. Plus shooting someone damages there gear so what's the point.

Target practice.

Wow sandbox refers to how people log in/out and choose servers now?

Why don't we keep stretching it... "You know, he logged out, went to his next door neighbour's house, and then shot the whole family. It's a sandbox, you know? We have to deal with it."

Here's what I don't like about the whole "It's a sandbox" discussion- when people stretch it to things like combat logging (though this is the first time I've ever heard someone say that) and when people use it to justify playing only one way. Sandbox just refers to the fact that it's an open world and there are no goals. It is specific to in-game, not server hopping or combat logging, that has nothing to do with it. Those are just cheap moves done by people who are afraid to play the game.

To relate the discussion to KoS, what you want to encourage out of a sandbox game is a variety of play styles. When people log on you don't want them thinking "I have to KoS because everyone else is." Then it's no longer open for the player to decide. You want encourage a mixture of styles so that players don't know what to expect when they encounter others and when they play the game in general. That's why KoS isn't a bad thing, but it definitely is when it's all everyone does. It completely restricts how everyone plays the game and it's no longer a sandbox.

Edited by AnarchyBrownies
  • Like 3