sai (DayZ)

Force mic chat: skype etc.. thru dayz?

Even if they did force this on at all times people would just block the game from accessing the mic.

Then you would have the people that just set it to play music all day long. 

I would just keybind a button to turn it off and on for the game all the while still talking on ts to my buddies.

how youg turn off voip thats forced by the client?

I've thought about the same thing. Just force constant direct voice chat.

Wouldn't work, since if ANYONE in my house decides to walk past my room while chatting, everyone in the radius will hear it.

Edit: Also, 98% of the community would go apeshit. But, people keep forgetting that something like this would be very easy to work around. I could simply stop giving DayZ permission to use my mic, all problems solved.

Edited by BurritoBandit

Wouldn't work, since if ANYONE in my house decides to walk past my room while chatting, everyone in the radius will hear it.

Sound levels can be changed. Sensitivity can be changed. this is not an issue.

You can say this about any type of cheating....

No, you can say this about any sort of unenforceable rule. What are you going to do? Scan my computer to be certain I have a mic and it is turned on? Scan my router to make sure I don't have a phone running Skype? What happens when I am in game and my daughter decides to Skype with a friend from her iPod/phone? There is no way to enforce it and incredibly simple ways around it. 

My mic is hardware based. The mute button is outside Window's knowledge. There is no way for you to force my mic on or me to broadcast in game. I can then use another device to communicate with my friends. You have now screwed anyone who hasn't thought of this simple thing and added complexity to the game for very little benefit since everyone will eventually disable it. 

Edit: Also, 98% of the community would go apeshit. But, people keep forgetting that something like this would be very easy to work around. I could simply stop giving DayZ permission to use my mic, all problems solved.

Dean makes a game he wants and we can only suggest him things ofc that is not kice when community goes apeshot but theyre the ones to blame for buying a hardcore game...

Sound levels can be changed. Sensitivity can be changed. this is not an issue.

Would you really prefer rocket to waste his time tweaking all that crap when 98% of them will just find a way to bypass it?

Waste of development time

• Like 1

how youg turn off voip thats forced by the client?

MUTE BUTTON!

Hardware headphones and mic. Plugs into my 7.1 surround sound ports. Windows has no idea if my mic is active or not so DayZ SA wouldn't have a chance to ever know. I have a phone that can run Skype and can tuck an earbud into my normal headphones comfortably(I sometimes do while watching a show on the iPad while doing something on the computer that takes only half my attention). Now I can chat with my friends all day long, DayZ can't broadcast it, and I can still flick my normal mic on to talk to people in game if I want to. 

Would you really prefer rocket to waste his time tweaking all that crap when 98% of them will just find a way to bypass it?

This is the main point. It is so incredibly easy to bypass and so hard to implement correctly that it is a waste of time to do.

Situation time. You're in a building whispering to your friend you found an M4, in real life you know no one can hear you. Yet some dude 30m away can hear you. Runs over to where you're at and smacks you with a shovel. Next thing you know you're pissed and say the game is bugged because 30m is too far.

No, you can say this about any sort of unenforceable rule. What are you going to do? Scan my computer to be certain I have a mic and it is turned on? Scan my router to make sure I don't have a phone running Skype? What happens when I am in game and my daughter decides to Skype with a friend from her iPod/phone? There is no way to enforce it and incredibly simple ways around it. 

My mic is hardware based. The mute button is outside Window's knowledge. There is no way for you to force my mic on or me to broadcast in game. I can then use another device to communicate with my friends. You have now screwed anyone who hasn't thought of this simple thing and added complexity to the game for very little benefit since everyone will eventually disable it. 

You're missing the point. I'm saying cheating is easy, but most people don't do it, they play the game as is, you people who will do anything to cheat are not a majority. 

Made up number

Situation time. You're in a building whispering to your friend you found an M4, in real life you know no one can hear you. Yet some dude 30m away can hear you. Runs over to where you're at and smacks you with a shovel. Next thing you know you're pissed and say the game is bugged because 30m is too far.

Who said anything about 30 meters? 

Who said anything about 30 meters? 

He's saying direct chat broadcasts at a set distance. Not sure how it is in DayZ SA but in the mod (or ArmA 2 rather) I believe it goes out 80m.

So every word you spoke in a town would broadcast your position. This is why I type if I'm "whispering" in DayZ because it broadcasts (at least in ArmA) at half the distance IIRC and doesn't give away my position.

People would find a way to bypass it. I mean you could just make it so direct chat is "always on", as it does when you double tap CAPS, but that would get annoying fast, especially with people that have awful mics, of which there are many.

You know why we are in the only few percent that survived? Because we are special. That's right, we have telepathic abilities. Seems silly that people to whom our thoughts were not directed could hear us. Duh.

You're missing the point. I'm saying cheating is easy, but most people don't do it, they play the game as is, you people who will do anything to cheat are not a majority. 

Whoa! Hold up here! Just because I can tell you exactly how to work around the rule doesn't mean I would personally do it. Accusing me of doing so is a dick move. The truth of the matter is that I am realistic enough and have enough experience to tell you that if there is an easy way to bypass it, and there is, then "Most" of the people won't play by your rules. Server hopping is an easy way to gain additional loot. It isn't the way the game is supposed to be played, but there are a ton of people who do it. I personally do not. 

You are being naive if you think that the majority of the player base would not find away around this and abuse the system. All it is going to do is give us honest people a disadvantage and THAT is why I am against it. 

• Like 1

He's saying direct chat broadcasts at a set distance. Not sure how it is in DayZ SA but in the mod (or ArmA 2 rather) I believe it goes out 80m.

So every word you spoke in a town would broadcast your position. This is why I type if I'm "whispering" in DayZ because it broadcasts (at least in ArmA) at half the distance IIRC and doesn't give away my position.

People would find a way to bypass it. I mean you could just make it so direct chat is "always on", as it does when you double tap CAPS, but that would get annoying fast, especially with people that have awful mics, of which there are many.

Ofcourse... But this is easily changed..... I.. man do I have to explain every single little detail? You guys have brains comon.

Broadcast distance woulds depend on how loud the sound is. Obviously. 

Ofcourse... But this is easily changed..... I.. man do I have to explain every single little detail? You guys have brains comon.

Okay, how does the game determine that? Scale slider? So people with "quiet" mics will broadcast less far and those with "sensitive" mics will broadcast even their breath 200m? So we put a way for a person to adjust this into the game so they can calibrate it. Now they just calibrate it so anything less than a scream is not broadcast and simply go back to talking on 3rd party VOIP with their friends at a normal talking level. 

• Like 1

Whoa! Hold up here! Just because I can tell you exactly how to work around the rule doesn't mean I would personally do it. Accusing me of doing so is a dick move. The truth of the matter is that I am realistic enough and have enough experience to tell you that if there is an easy way to bypass it, and there is, then "Most" of the people won't play by your rules. Server hopping is an easy way to gain additional loot. It isn't the way the game is supposed to be played, but there are a ton of people who do it. I personally do not. 

You are being naive if you think that the majority of the player base would not find away around this and abuse the system. All it is going to do is give us honest people a disadvantage and THAT is why I am against it. 

Server hopping is part of the game, changing options on your pc and hardware isn't There's a big difference. I very much doubt most people would bother with it. The scripting in the mod is easy, but no where near everyone does it. They want to play the game. 

As said above, that's a lot of work for something that would just be worked around. What game even does that right?

We have brains, that's why we see the flaws in this system.

Okay, how does the game determine that? Scale slider? So people with "quiet" mics will broadcast less far and those with "sensitive" mics will broadcast even their breath 200m? So we put a way for a person to adjust this into the game so they can calibrate it. Now they just calibrate it so anything less than a scream is not broadcast and simply go back to talking on 3rd party VOIP with their friends at a normal talking level. 

Sound can universally be amplified or lowed to a set level. 

As said above, that's a lot of work for something that would just be worked around. What game even does that right?

It's not a lot of work

Sound level of 15 decibels, = 5 meters, Sound level of 60 decibels, = 20 meters and so on, a program could easily make it dynamic and not set. 

Where has it been done properly before?

Different people have different input levels as well. Some people have god-awful mics or no mic at all. Those with bad ones either have a lot of amplified white noise going on or their words are just screwed up.

Imagine coming into a town and hearing "Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzvvvvvvvvvvvvvvttttttt" or something similar due to one guy's crappy mic. Not my idea of fun, personally.

Server hopping is part of the game, changing options on your pc and hardware isn't There's a big difference. I very much doubt most people would bother with it. The scripting in the mod is easy, but no where near everyone does it. They want to play the game. 

Weird, muting my mic is the single press of a button that turns red. It turns green when I unmute it. Yeah, that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much trouble to bother with.  <_<

• Like 1

It's not a lot of work

Sound level of 15 decibels, = 5 meters, Sound level of 60 decibels, = 20 meters and so on, a program could easily make it dynamic and not set. 

All mics are different. Windows setting will also determine how much the mic picks up. It is a LOT of work and not as simple as you are trying to say it is.

Sound can universally be amplified or lowed to a set level. 

No it can't. Now you are talking sci-fi for it to do so probably. All for something I can bypass in 30 seconds by owning a smart phone and a mic with a mute button.