lev

Third person view removal from SA discussion

To adapt you have to change your playstyle

Or, you know, just not play on those fucking servers if it bothers you so much.

Seriously why are we even still talking about this?

• Like 3

I can agree that first person only will add to the experience for sure. But to say it should be completely removed? no. You have Private servers for that and the hardcore mode. I really don't see why everyone is crying about it. Don't want to play 3rd persion, then don't, the option is there. Private servers will start doing 1st person only also. I personally do enjoy the 1st person only more. But I'm not going to come crying to remove 3rd person.

• Like 2

Right, many ppl gave the solution which is to play on servers that doesn't have their person, but you insist on changing for every body. How is that not Hitler like? Then you pull a wiki crap to try and make a point. This thread is a dead horse, you don't like the game is go play something else

... but you insist on changing for every body. 

I don't. Learn to fucking read! Read! Understand!

Until then stop posting here. And don't use Hitler in discussions.

For me I consider the server splitting as temporary and just a stage in the alpha. Final solution should still be to implement LOS for 3rd person. ie. Fix the broken mechanics rather than split the playerbase...

• Like 5

The game needs to be balanced PvEwise from an FPV perspective rather than a TPV perspective  - otherwise it will require balancing separately for each. Zed reaction times and numbers, loot distribution, timeframe/rates of usages of food and water...etc.... FPV is slower than TPV because for each corner you have to stop, peek and then continue instead of just panning the camera round ahead of you. If I run out of water because I'm progressing slowly because I'm playing FPV, I want it to be because of my skill level, not because it was balanced for EZmode players.

This is a very important point I think a lot of people miss. The gameplay becomes fundamentally different when 3PP is available. Players navigate differently, they loot differently, they interact with each other differently, and they fight zombies differently. By supporting both views BIS is essentially building two games. The impact of each design decision they make will be different depending on what type of server is being played on. I hope they have enough time, manpower, and wisdom to find a reasonable compromise for each issue.

Once the separate 3PP:OFF hive is up I would love to be able to do some comparative data mining between the hives to see how big the differences in player behavior are. I would bet that plenty of surprises will be hidden in that data.

I don't like hearing a developer say it's not up to them to force the definition of DayZ.

I've said it before and will no doubt say it again. If DayZ ends up mediocre or worse, it will be because its developers were afraid to make hard decisions about what the game should be. ARMA is a great sandbox with an infinite number of tools and its community used them to make it great. For DayZ BIS decided to go a different way and stripped away 99.9999 % of those tools. They won't be able to rely on the community to make it great. Not only is it up to BIS to define what DayZ is, it is their bloody responsibility.

• Like 3

A game that is fundamentally about the brutality of surviving in a post apocalyptic zombie world, is somewhat undermined by magical camera floating 2m behind your head.

• Like 4

I don't think 3rd person has any place at all within such a tactical survival game.

I'm using it for all it's worth now as others are but I hope for it to be gone. We have the inventory screen and load up screen to look at our characters and although it's fun to look at your character in game I'd much rather 3ps be out of the game so it couldn't be exploited.

First off, I read the title wrong.  I thought this was going to be a post about removing the discussion of Third Person View from the forum.  I chuckle softly to myself now as I realize how woefully naive I was, as I begin typing this on the 65th page (unless I take to long and it increases before I hit "Post")

Second, Third Person View has too many supporters to remove.  Way too many.  Your asking a company to turn it's back on a good portion of a huge playerbase.  Would people not buy this game without a 3rd Person View?  It's a risk that isn't up to you to take.

Third: 3rd Person camera angles would be nearly impossible to fix to impede views.  Now phlOgistOn has some good ideas about changing zombie AI in 3PP:ON servers.  I feel like loot placement should also be addressed, but from a programming point of view could be a nightmare.  Basically it can either be coexist happily, or split the player base.  I wonder why that is such a powerful point in these arguments.  It seems like if an argument comes down to splitting the playerbase, then the argument is over.  I feel that a split player base would still have large numbers of peoples.  But I'd rather coexist.  And cohabitate with any one of you. 

Fourth and finally: Arguments will never get their point across if you ruin them with your rudeness, ego, long posts (oh shit, I'm doing this now!) and more importantly your insecurities.  How many posts does it take to defend your words?  None.  You dont have to.  If someone insults you get over it.  A forum is a place to put your thoughts out for a community to read and judge and ridicule.  If you can't handle criticism, don't post.  And opinion isn't fact.  As an idiot named Tomme once pointed out, 3rd Person View is bad and therefore should be removed.  And he really got pissed off when his obviously factual statement wasn't accepted by everyone.  

Here you FPV guys want your cake and eat it to how about this. You put on a gas mask it limits you LOD, Motorcycle helmet limits your LOD. You complain that TPV isn't realistic, how about they make FPV realistic first.

Edited by BwickFS39

As an idiot named Tomme once pointed out, 3rd Person View is bad and therefore should be removed.  And he really got pissed off when his obviously factual statement wasn't accepted by everyone.  

3PP per se is not bad but as it is currently implemented, it has a broken, exploitable mechanic. Anyone that fails to see that it is a broken mechanic is really not thinking very hard about player interactions in the environment; with each other, with NPCs or with static objects. As a result of this broken mechanic the playerbases have to be kept separate for now (and in the forums it would seem).

Aside from that, it's a pure matter of opinion. Personally I like the immersion of playing in 1PP, others get motion sickness from it.

Here you FPV guys want your cake and eat it to how about this. You put on a gas mask it limits you LOD, Motorcycle helmet limits your LOD. You complain that TPV isn't realistic, how about they make FPV realistic first.

Yes pls, that would be awesome. I'd like the gasmask to have some functional advantage to make it worthwhile to wear though (other than looking kewl in 3PP*)...or they might as well remove it from the loot. Also they'd need to severely lower the amount of ballistic helmets on the map so that more people have to stick with the motorbike option or go without head protection to keep better vision.

At the moment there's no question about wearing a helmet, you find one, you put it on - it's a no brainer. Intelligent* players like choices and decisions where they have to weigh up pros and cons.

Nice attempt at antagonising btw 3/10

*added in Edits for clarification

Edited by phlOgistOn

A game that is fundamentally about the brutality of surviving in a post apocalyptic zombie world, is somewhat undermined by magical camera floating 2m behind your head.

I assume your all about "Muh realism" so please do explain how my character can shrug off pistol rounds while still running? or how my eyes can magicly zoom? or how I can run for ever without having to stop to catch my breath? case in point this game is not realistic. 

This thread is pointless its a back and forth argument thats going no where as no one will budge towards the real issue, fixing the camera not removing it. but some people appear to still want to beat the dead horse and ignore logic so good luck everyone.

Edited by Gerandar
  • Like 1

Thats completely fine.

hqRSD.jpg

It created amazing atmosphere and made misery for stalker truly scary.

• Like 7

Removing tpv is a bit late (but i would like it to be removed).

However, I would like that if a player is not visible in first person that he gets hidden in third person. This way people could still play third person but they can't peak over walls anymore etc.

• Like 2

This is an old discussion....

so? why do people keep trying too dictate what we should discuss? if you don't want to participate, stay out of the thread

I like the quote, but if you have a problem with Ken Bean, use the report button.

Unfortunately it's his right to be stupid and ignorant. Otherwise I'd be spamming that button. I just take the right to point it out.

I believe Inception just asked you to drop the fight with Ken Bean, and you completely ignored him.

And just to make it clear: You do not have the right to call other forum members 'stupid and ignorant'.

Time for a little break.

As an idiot named Tomme once pointed out, 3rd Person View is bad and therefore should be removed.

Make your point without calling people 'idiots' please, this is getting ridiculous.

@Everyone else:

What the hell is going on? Why is it not possible to discuss this without getting so aggressive, so determined to win? There is nothing to win here, there is no prize.

This is embarrassing.

Please remember that we share these forums, we'll all have to live with each other afterwards.

So again, please, shake hands and agree to disagree.

And leave goddamn Hitler out of it.

• Like 6

3PP destroys a significant part of that by sheer existence.

This is like the major argument we are trying to make since forever...and you guys simply ignore that. Why? Because you like it. That's basically it.

Sorry, but you could argue the advantages and disadvantages for both sides forever. You keep saying our only argument is that we "like it" in 3PP and that's not valid in your opinion.

At the end of the day that's the same reason you play in 1PP. Because you "like it". You feel like it's more immersive and realistic and that's why you like it that way. It's all a matter of personal preference.

You don't have to play in first person, but you do because you "like it". On a basic level that's the only reason that matters. We don't judge you for that, so you shouldn't judge others for the same thing.

• Like 1

I don't. Learn to fucking read! Read! Understand!

Until then stop posting here. And don't use Hitler in discussions.

oh i read and understood, yet you fail to see what your actually doing. Also note i never called you that name, i point the characteristics he had......and to clarify my grandmother was a WWII refugee so please dont try and be touchy ok? ok

Now there are FPV fans and TPV fans, like i said i like both ppl and many other ppl like both as well. to call it a cheat or exploit is absurd. Exploit is something that is doing what it is not intended to be doing and used for their advantage, such as wall glitching, there was a time where a glitched existed on top of the hospital in cherno and ppl would camp into it and kill from there thats an exploit. As for using TPV as cheat, it is not. i play first person 98% of the time and never felt the other had advantage over, either i got killed cause i wasnt paying a attention or simply got outmatched. Dont blame TPV for you sucking in the game leave both as they are.  

Edited by reapers239
  • Like 1

Dont blame TPV for you sucking in the game

stop it. when you frame stuff like this, you automatically put the other person on the defensive, and negate any chance at rational discussion

• Like 1

stop it. when you frame stuff like this, you automatically put the other person on the defensive, and negate any chance at rational discussion

Well sorry, however sometimes that is the feeling that I get from these demanding requests after they explained their reasons. I am not taking sides on TPV or FPV because i like both, i have explained my reasons has to why. Perhaps you should tell the others how not asking but demanding the devs to remove something to stop as well, this topic puts everybody on defensive already because it is a dead horse we are still beating at it since the mod.

My feeling is that one player should not force change something in the game just because he/she likes this way or that way, or merely because he/she is hardcore FPS or TPS. Dayz offers both not only in game but servers wide as well. They should just lock this thread  honestly

Sorry Max Planck. I shamefully admit I did it only to get a rise out of him. I usually am more respectful but sometimes I give in to immaturity. Plus he made an offensive comment about slavery or eke if never single out somebody.

• Like 2

The point is the time window the 3PP camper has is not limited. He can take as much time as he wants beeing invisible, pre aim, stand up, shoot, be invisible again in practically no time. With 3PP off he would have to expose himself to spot someone. What is so hard to understand about that?

Anybody with some common sense would check rooftops and possible sniper spots before going out into the open. With 3PP enabled it's pointless though. That is ridiculous. To adapt you have to change your playstyle to something far far from plausible which might even be a major obstacle for new players.

It's a major theme for rocket to make DayZ a game where real world skills and knowledge are supposed to help you. 3PP destroys a significant part of that by sheer existence.

This is like the major argument we are trying to make since forever...and you guys simply ignore that. Why? Because you like it. That's basically it.

Obviously I like it, i stated that before in one of my posts, but not from the exploiting point of view. Simply I think it differentiates the game from other FPS games and gives people the option to use a more functional viewpoint - it's easier to loot, easier to travel (i couldn't imagine traveling kilometers of distance without being able to observer the surrounding areas, which is a big feature in DayZ SA). Because 1st person servers exist, it's not a gamebreaking mechanic. Regarding the guys ability to pre-aim - If you stand in the center of the road in any big city, you're doing it wrong.

Dayz is a multiplayer open world survival horror video game, and not a serious FPS combat simulation. I admit 3PV is a shady area in a game such as ARMA, or Planetside (vehicles) tho.

I assume your all about "Muh realism" so please do explain how my character can shrug off pistol rounds while still running? or how my eyes can magicly zoom? or how I can run for ever without having to stop to catch my breath? case in point this game is not realistic. 

This thread is pointless its a back and forth argument thats going no where as no one will budge towards the real issue, fixing the camera not removing it. but some people appear to still want to beat the dead horse and ignore logic so good luck everyone.

Tbh I don't I haven't even been fpv server, I switch all the time between the two, I can live with or without it's not a problem as long as everyone subject to the same rules. All I did was point out (unoriginaly) the disconnect between the ideology and reality, which by the way only existed in mod due the game it was built on. However you got you knickers in a twist and only added to futility of the thread.

However you got you knickers in a twist and only added to futility of the thread.

And with this piece of non-contribution, this thread is laid to rest.

The discussion may continue in a calm and civil manner over here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/162565-fix-not-remove-third-person-perspective/

Don't ruin that one with personal insults and namecalling, it will be moderated.

• Like 2