Sign in to follow this  
ThirdSinger

While the robbery system is nice it won't work.

Why? Because I'd rather take my miniscule chances of escaping with my loot and life instead of guaranteeing I lose everything and then probably get shot afterwards anyway.

It's been said a kajillion times, but there needs to be more worth to a character than the loot on his back. How this gets implemented could be a number of ways, but it is LIKELY going to HAVE to boil down to a semi 'skill' system that gets reset on death.

• Like 2

Handcuffs are a joke.  I think they put them in for roleplaying kinky sex.  I know they didn't put them because they legitimately think that people will be restraining other players instead of killing them.  No one trusts anyone in this game beyond who they already know, that's exactly how it would be in real life. 

The only painstaking difference is the fact that no one gets on DayZ to play Suzy Homemaker and wash kids or cook food for a camp while people go on loot runs.  That's not what DayZ is, never was, never will be.

People will restrain their friends to be dicks, that's it.  Or they'll restrain a victim to then shoot them in the face later, handcuffed.  What a great addition.

Edited by McG2
  • Like 1

Well that's just you. You can't judge all the players and what actions they may take.

• Like 3

Well that's just you. You can't judge all the players and what actions they may take.

I've been handcuffed thrice and then shot every single time afterwards on multiple different servers.

You're simply delusional if you think the handcuff system is going to work. The game very nearly encourages it not to.

• Like 1

I dunno i like the system a mate and I are doing some robberies tonight AKA 'road piratiering' going to hold up people on the highways if they don't oblige they get the gun if they do we are gonna restrain them unload their guns take their ammo then send em off, no harm no foul! 

You can't really take all their stuff anyway as my bags are always 80% full all i want robberies for is easy ammo and when you're working the roads as a 2 man team i think it can be highly rewarding and then to send them off into the world with their empty guns! muhahahaha! well i'll see how it goes tonight and how many people oblige to being restrained!

• Like 1

I dunno i like the system a mate and I are doing some robberies tonight AKA 'road piratiering' going to hold up people on the highways if they don't oblige they get the gun if they do we are gonna restrain them unload their guns take their ammo then send em off, no harm no foul! 

You can't really take all their stuff anyway as my bags are always 80% full all i want robberies for is easy ammo and when you're working the roads as a 2 man team i think it can be highly rewarding and then to send them off into the world with their empty guns! muhahahaha! well i'll see how it goes tonight and how many people oblige to being restrained!

See how quickly you both get popped the second someone you rob tells his group about it.

I like how some project their experiences on the overall game or community. "Yoo, dat is how DayZ yo fuggin carebears" or "Screw yo KOS deathmatch bandit people!". No. Just no. DayZ is not "This or that". It's what you make out of it. You decide.

I can do the same: Handcuffing works.

Simple, isn't it? But in the end, it's somewhere in between. Fact is: Random people are likely to shoot up others anyway without going so far. Other bigger groups (more than 1-2) can act different. Saw the handcuffs in action a few times already and no, the person was not shot.

Edited by Combine
  • Like 2

As much as this may be a "one off" I just had a two guys hold me up and handcuff me, they took only what they needed and left me with my main equiptment. They temporarily disarmed me and un cuffed me. we exchanged transfusions to patch up and they let me on my merry way. As much as it sucked to lose some of that loot it was much better than being shot on sight, killed and having to respawn. As I said i understand this probably won't be the norm but it is a nice addition and great option to have in the game!

• Like 4

I like how some project their experiences on the overall game or community.

I can do the same: Handcuffing works.

Simple, isn't it? But in the end, it's somewhere in between. Fact is: Random people are likely to shoot up others anyway without going so far. Other bigger groups (more than 1-2) can act different. Saw the handcuffs in action a few times already and no, the person was not shot.

You realize of course these forums are an EXTREMELY small percentage of the people that play the game.

You also realize I'm sure that the people who played the mod will play this.

Guess what happened in the mod more than anything else, and was constantly complained about?

I've been handcuffed thrice and then shot every single time afterwards on multiple different servers.

You're simply delusional if you think the handcuff system is going to work. The game players very nearly encourages it not to.

I have robbed three players of their batteries and not killed them. It is very easy to rob and not kill.' Get down on the ground or i shoot at three! Start counting, once they are on the ground..' Strip all of your clothes and gear off now !'   I didn't handcuff any because i didn't have keys to unlock them.

• Like 2

I have robbed three players of their batteries and not killed them. It is very easy to rob and not kill.' Get down on the ground or i shoot at three! Start counting, once they are on the ground..' Strip all of your clothes and gear off now !'   I didn't handcuff any because i didn't have keys to unlock them.

The thing is, the people you took all the loot from may as well be dead anyway, since they're the equivalent of a fresh spawn now.

Being robbed is essentially the same thing as being killed, and location isn't exactly a big deal since Balota is by far the best place to camp and server hop for loot.

See how quickly you both get popped the second someone you rob tells his group about it.

How if they pull or don't do as we say instantly we are both opening fire they won't have a chance or know where we are, it's an ambush!

Edit: we won't be staying in one place but setting up all over the place in bushes homes along roads etc! fun times ahead! bring on the war haha

Edited by twingunz

How if they pull or don't do as we say instantly we are both opening fire they won't have a chance or no where we are, it's an ambush!

...lol

Alright then, good luck.

Yeah I'll tell you what, I'm definitely going to slow down on the highway for someone wielding a gun.  Who the hell is actually dumb enough to be running along the main highways with other players around?  Probably players like your friend who handcuffed a guy and then shot him because he used his microphone in the game.

i think there is a tendency: groups tend to fool around have fun with each other and screw with other ppl. the loners or sporadic team-players may take the game a tad more serious and tend to spare someone maybe...but maybe that's just crazy talk..or group dynamics. 

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

I think that this, and many of the other items and tools in DayZ depend on the player base that uses them. Already I've made the decision that when the radio system is applied and the mechanics are worked out that I'm going to become a paramedic, the decision was made when I saw how complex and interesting the medical mechanics will be and how tough it will be to stay healthy without someone on the server who is dedicated to having the right supplies and knowing how to use them. As for combat, I'm willing to play the pacifist, only being armed enough to defend myself from ambush and zombie attack. In short, I'm willing to play the role.

And I think that's the best approach to DayZ in general. The only reason to play this game is because of the exciting interactions between players, that could mean murder, betrayal, companionship, spying, unhealthy alliances, solid friendships, mutual interests and all out war. The only thing that separates this from any other deathmatch is the size of the map and the experiences with other survivors. I'm willing to play up to being robbed if only to provoke an exciting interation, in some ways it's more fun than a 30 second shootout.

• Like 8

You all shouldn't think that there's many people in the game that do "amazing robbery without killing and then letting the victim escape" by watching videos or reading stories posted on this forum, those cool robbers are about 0.1% of DayZ players, the rest of them are just assholes who either KoS, or handcuff and then KoS just for fun. I bought Standalone yesterday and I got handcuffed twice, they wanted me to drop my shovel on the ground, I did, then they shot me in the face. The 2nd time I got handcuffed because some guy said he's gonna bloodbag me and boom, handcuffed. He only laughed and then shot me in the face. 

Yeah, DayZ really needs something that would add any value to player's life, other than his loot. Since it's early alpha, we should all focus on the  main flaws of the basic gameplay, and then focus on adding lots of things to the gameplay, like hundreds of items, upgraded looting system, hunting, building bases and other good ideas and then focus on details and polishing the game so it's even more amazing. 

Edited by Gdaddy22

Yeah I'll tell you what, I'm definitely going to slow down on the highway for someone wielding a gun.  Who the hell is actually dumb enough to be running along the main highways with other players around?  Probably players like your friend who handcuffed a guy and then shot him because he used his microphone in the game.

When i say mouthy i mean he started calling me a SOB and blah blah blah... basically all i took was some ammunition and a compass even left them with their guns (without ammo) and melee weapons etc. Others were quiet nice basically just said "reach for the sky and don't turn around or your gettting a .44 lobotomy". Advised them i was just looking for a few things if they cooperated they would leave alive. Actually bandaged one guy also because he didn't have rags or anything and was bleeding out.

Balota is by far the best place to camp and server hop for loot.

sounds like it's also the best place to get handcuffed and shot

sounds like it's also the best place to get handcuffed and shot

Nope. Every time I've been handcuffed and shot I've either been up north or a completely fresh spawn.

You all shouldn't think that there's many people in the game that do "amazing robbery without killing and then letting the victim escape" by watching videos or reading stories posted on this forum, those cool robbers are about 0.1% of DayZ players, the rest of them are just assholes who either KoS, or handcuff and then KoS just for fun. I bought Standalone yesterday and I got handcuffed twice, they wanted me to drop my shovel on the ground, I did, then they shot me in the face. The 2nd time I got handcuffed because some guy said he's gonna bloodbag me and boom, handcuffed. He only laughed and then shot me in the face. 

Yeah, DayZ really needs something that would add any value to player's life, other than his loot. Since it's early alpha, we should all focus on the  main flaws of the basic gameplay, and then focus on adding lots of things to the gameplay, like hundreds of items, building bases and other good ideas and then focus on details and polishing the game so it's even more amazing. 

Okay so... Run away? Nobody is forcing you to comply with their orders, you chose to do that. A player being able to kill you is not a flaw in the gameplay.

• Like 1