Zeeb (DayZ)

<<<< [How to] Improve random player killing. >>>>

Terrible list (bar 1 idea :D). The thing that makes dayz for me is its different from everything else yet there is always some shit average ideas people have to make it just like everything else(no offence). I do like the last idea though I've had some thought on that myself.. maybe an area that requires a key to enter like a junkyard or something that is difficult to navigate and lots infected thus requiring a team of people with atleast 2 guns).

But for the most part everything else kinda sounds like its been done everywhere else in most other games that you suggested..I remember playing a game 10 years ago called "Vietcong" and the hardest mode to choose was called "vietnam mode" where you had nothing at all listed on your screen except your ammo amount would display when you reloaded, other than that nothing at all in the way of a HUD... the point is that game really opened my eyes up to how much immersion can be created via being told nothing at all on your screen and just relying on the environment itself as your only source of ingame knowledge..

back to dayz--- the game is hard without indicators and crap on screen but thats really what i think makes the game and what its about.. working out and solving situations without the game really giving you anything other than the current situation etc.. but yes being killed by a scumlord 5 times in a row sux. But just because we have a bad run I dont think the game should suffer in the way of giving us more indicators or HUD elements to inform us of whats going on. 

A humanity meter would be pretty nice. It would solve the problem rather elegantly if you simply gave respawning benefits to humane players, and harsh penalties to murderers. For example, an extremely humane player could spawn with a mosin and some ammo, and a serial killer would spawn without a flashlight and starving. The tradeoff would then be between starting off with better gear and being able to gear up fast by killing other players.

The problem however is deciding how you gain / lose humanity. You can't just say "well if I kill a player then I should lose a lot of humanity", because what if you killed him to defend yourself or one of your buddies? What if I just knocked someone unconscious but then looted all his gear, potentially sealing his fate? Any system you put in place to detect who started a fight or to gauge the severity of players' actions would be necessarily complex, flawed and open to abuse, because players are crafty. I don't think there is an elegant solution to this problem.

@liquidcactus:
I've never once mentioned any type of HUD change or implementing indicators of any kind, I want it to be difficult, that is why I play, but that does not disprove the fact that the game suffers from extremely annoying random killers, I always got good runs and most of the cases I dont encounter bandits, but I do know for a fact that this is a problem, I myself try not to shoot people, especially not people who poses no threat, while random bandits do enjoy it. That is the problem.

@aj_:
With humanity implemeted, the developers can reach such heights, my options are kind of based on a humanity system.
My options are simply how I would do it if I were a developer.

Edited by Zeeb
  • Like 1

That is what my topic is all about, please read all of the options and you'll see it, thank you for your input.

I can't deny I stopped reading at 'NPC', but ok here goes:

#1: I'm all for some sort of skill system based on attempts as long as it's implemented elegantly and doesn't make the game too easy over time.

#2: Your first sentence says it... now I'm not going to flame you, but NPCs anything other than zeds is a big no-no for me. And a safe haven policed by NPCs? No thanks, I'd rather see a player group take over one of the smaller villages and create that safehaven themselves.

#3: Trading is something that should come naturally between players, I hope once the rarity system is in place and more diverse loot gets patched in this might actually happen. Ofcourse it would still be a freaking dangerous ordeal (like it should be) so you'd better have some friends to back you up if something goes haywire.

#4: Same as before, no farmable npcs pretty please. If they can accomplish making the zombies an actual threat (image 100 zeds roaming the streets of Cherno and they'd all come running if you're bold enough to fire a shot) then that should be enough reason for random short or long term grouping and if that makes it so it's nigh impossible to even come near a barracks solo that'll solve server hopping too (except maybe for organised clans, but then again I'm still advocating having characters tied to servers).

#5: Again no arbitrary systems, if a bandit pissed you off that much you should place the bounty yourself (but you'll probably need a friend to cough up the reward, unless someone will do it for a battery) and hope someone will go after him. Now at the game's current state that would be rather hard, but once radios/vehicles are in the game you could call it out. And again if characters would be tied to the server he couldn't just flee to another server, making bounty hunting an actual occupation.

#6: This one could have potential if the messages where ambiguous enough that it's not always clear and sometimes flat out wrong. Although I think it might be better to just leave this to observation; for instance if you meet someone and he's immediately fumbling around to get his weapon out and not responding to your greeting he's probably not going to be very nice. If someone does respond and approaches without a weapon drawn and you find terms on which to group then maybe take the risk and go for it. If you notice suspicious behaviour down the line you might want to inquire about it or part ways (anecdote from my mod days: I once repaired a van with a stranger in Berezino, we were grouped, cruizing and talking for about an hour, until I notice he's getting less talkative and asks me to change direction, I figured his buddies came on teamspeak and he's planning something so I ended up booting him from the car and went on my own merry way).

#7 & 8: Again not a fan of artificial systems.. the whole black and white hero/bandit thing needs to go. There should be more weight and benefit to someone's life other than his gear; an elegant skill system might help.

#9: And because it's easy gratification. If shooting a gun near Cherno actually becomes a weighted descision because of zeds actually posing a threat, they would think twice about killing some random newly spawned. Also endgame should come in the form of fortificating buildings, repairing and maintaining a vehicle if you're lucky, maybe the abbility to repair some prominent structures (Green Mountain to broadcast all over Chernarus, or a power generator to light up a small village), farming and hunting could become a thing, they could introduce more and more complex diseases and illnessess with different approaches to cure them (doing it with makeshift items yourself might take days/weeks, but dropping by a hospital bed in that hospital a medic clan managed to get operable and it'll dissipate in 5-10 minutes (maybe longer and just bring a damn book)). There's a whole bunch more I can think of that I'd rather see than have npc quests shovelled in that will only feel stale after completing them once.

Edited by JoostVoordeel
  • Like 1

just wait till the zombie numbers are at or near the correct levels. You will need a group to go to cherno as im sure i read a statement from rocket saying that cherno alone call spawn up to 800 zeds.

Also, the influx of new players to the game ( not ones from the SA) is just insane and will have a huge impact to the KoS mentality.  More experienced players would rarther leave a fresh/poorly geared player alone if possible so that they do not give their position away or waste ammo.

Edited by Spikér

I agree on a lot of your points, Bandits need to be a part of the game, but currently there are far too many of them. If we keep going in this direction without any changes, DayZ won't be a zombie-survival game, it will be a Free for all deathmatch with zombies as a nuisance.

If I wanted to play Deathmatch I'd play Counter Strike or Battlefield.

Well, its gona stay that way. I mean, would you really be motivated to work if you had all the money you needed? 

my whole point is: make survival really hard and shooting guns really dangerous and difficult. + zeds need to be a real threat. but with all the mods (except a few hardcore servers) it seems to go exactly in the opposite direction. everything is easy.

Theres nothing the dev can do to stop it. Its a community problem not a game design problem. Keep in mind that if new players came to the game because they saw some streams or youtube videos what they saw was ppl shooting on sight. They allready come to the game with this idea, and theres nothing the devs can do to change it.

Hes not saying to get rid of player killing, his suggestions are to make it a more difficult and hopefully less viable approach to player interaction.

• Like 2

wow great post op it all allmost sounds like a real game.....OMG a real game...dayz will never become that it will stay kos deathmatch pvp cause people are ignorant...

and also anyyone who says #2 is dumb must not reallize that epoch out did most other mods and was really really really popular due to  the npc's and other such small things that add something called depth to the game.

some things im not sure on....but for the most part the kos has to stop...take a look at the mod right before the SA the servers were getting more empty by the day due to random KOS.

kos is fine but it needs to have meaning other than ignorance and needs to have consequence...this game cannot survive as a deathmatch sandbox...it will simply bleed players and never reach heights that it could...

people come to this game for zombie survival not deathmatch pvp and thats the direction the game needs to take to actually survive and be long lasting..

also all you people's bullshit random KOS is making it really hard to test for bugs..

Edited by soulesseye
  • Like 1

There are some features in play that are working to prevent this. 

The condition on items is the big one. 

If I hold you up and rob you I get pristine condition gear. 

If I KOS you on site I might ruin all the gear I wanted in the first place. 

Fun fact, KoS/Random player killing is never going away, no matter how much you tweak the game. You see a player, your loot senses are tingling, open fire, loot, repeat.

I try to make as much out of my "story" as i can, but at some point you just do it. Just for the loot or the feeling of insecurity when there's another player nearby.

But there still are the exceptions, but they are slowly turning to the same mentality.

#1 make zombies hard nut to crack, hordes, that will remove that, no hero or bandit shit, people are who they are, sometimes you need to bandit to survive. thats the point...

if you want uber roleplay, then do that, dont force it on everybody.

Edited by aasav
  • Like 2

Fun fact, KoS/Random player killing is never going away, no matter how much you tweak the game. You see a player, your loot senses are tingling, open fire, loot, repeat.

I try to make as much out of my "story" as i can, but at some point you just do it. Just for the loot or the feeling of insecurity when there's another player nearby.

But there still are the exceptions, but they are slowly turning to the same mentality.

that is due to the fact the game has no depth....

That is due to the fact that it is an alpha..

Too early to moan about all this.

Edited by Harba

EVEN if it had more to it. I'm sure Rocket tries he's best to add more carebear stuff and co-op features, but it never stop it completely. I don't see how some bandit's mark or something among those lines would change anything. It's not like KoS can punish players for their actions, it's a simple advantage most of the time, because.. loot. Unless settlements are implemented that won't let Bandits enter (Rough example, just thoughts.)

Edited by Konna

Im against gun wielding npc's, but I would like some more PvE from things like animal dens or places with armored zeds. Anything as long as the risk in trying to do it alone is so big that you would prefer to team up to do it. Dosent even hurt bandits as they could wait for the friendlys to clean it out then snipe them all and take the loot. Maybe even encourage bandits to form groups aswell lol.

If there is gonna be benefits to hero'ing, there would need to be benefits to banditry aswell. Maybe some slight after effects of combat that are worse for a hero than a bandit. Unless of course the hero killed a bandit, then he/she wouldn't feel remorse. Also if the hero was fired upon first the effects would be less pronounced. But if he chose to kill, just because he didn't like the look of the guy, it would be much greater.

No safe trading! :P trading in dayz is and should be one of the most heart punding situations you can experience. Well that's for meeting a new guy to trade for 1st time anyway. Any sort of Safety is a no go for me, should always be scared for your life. Currency and buying things im against aswell, for me it detracts from the apocalyptic surviving off the land sort of thing.

EDIT - guess what I mean is we make our own currency. Il give you my quad and a ghillie for your nvg or whatever. And the trade rates change on what you need....that car you spent 3 hours fixing is suddenly worth a can of food in the right situation ;)

Edited by Karmaterror

You can't discourage a persons play style because you die a lot. The game is made to play the way you want to in order for YOU to survive. Remember that. The reason there are more bandits than heros is because the majority of people are lazy and just want quick easy gear from killing other players or they have been killed so much they too paranoid to risk interaction with a player they don't know.

when they balance out the ammo so its really rare (hope they do) and add hunting, its gonna be a choice of KOS someone for chance of stuff or shooting a deer for food (Dethmath people will get fed up when they only find 10 shells a day). Atm (as posted earlier) there is to much ammo and it has no value. So with so much ammo, its like a FPS, and unrealistic that so much would be available (as posted earlier).

But i don't think my earlier post was read or understood, i don't have the best language skills :)

• Like 1

Run or defend yourself is my experience. A bloodthirsty guy with an FNX is gonna be frustrated and not chase you after you start sprinting unarmed through the woods. I have never gotten hit by an FNX even though I got shot at twice (both fired their magazines empty).

The FNX is a low velocity gun with a large drop off at range which has to be accounted for, actually it probably has a lot more drop off than it should. I think another player posted a thread about gun velocities/falloff, based on their Arma 2 values and more realistic values.

If they cant control the mentality of people stocking up on wepons then going out to kill as many people as they can, (witch would be ridiculous in Real life, you would not put your self in that danger unless your psychotic) then DayZ as a survival simulation will have failed and will just be another war game. a person like that would be removed as a threat quite fast and then they are gone for good. there would not be lots and lots of them (cus same person comes back in game). I think Dazy team know that and have plans to guide the game via concepts, not gift for goodies and so on.

Dazy will lose a lot of Pvpers (as they go back to war games), if Dazy they get it right and will make a unique game type of scavenging survivalist. Sure there will still be KOS cus that's life (and part of the game), but not people that want a deathmatch, it would not be the type of game they wanna play.

So DayZ can define its self as the best Survival sim (Before you comment on that research some documentaries and RL news on what happens in survival*1) or just and other war game.

not an easy thing to make , a realistic survival zombie sim :P

*1 when there is no outside threat, just people, there are fights and looting, not people running around with guns shooting all they see and they are looking for food not guns (that's why ammo need adjusting).But when its people and an outside threat, there is a lot of teaming up and those  that are a threat are removed till stable groups form - as dead people cant respawn in RL, but that a unique problem dazy will have to work on.

Edited by Sooden

If they cant control the mentality of people stocking up on wepons then going out to kill as many people as they can, (witch would be ridiculous in Real life, you would not put your self in that danger unless your psychotic) then DayZ as a survival simulation will have failed and will just be another war game. a person like that would be removed as a threat quite fast and then they are gone for good. there would not be lots and lots of them (cus same person comes back in game). I think Dazy team know that and have plans to guide the game via concepts, not gift for goodies and so on.

Dazy will lose a lot of Pvpers (as they go back to war games), if Dazy they get it right and will make a unique game type of scavenging survivalist. Sure there will still be KOS cus that's life (and part of the game), but not people that want a deathmatch, it would not be the type of game they wanna play.

So DayZ can define its self as the best Survival sim (Before you comment on that research some documentaries and RL news on what happens in survival*1) or just and other war game.

not an easy thing to make , a realistic survival zombie sim :P

*1 when there is no outside threat, just people, there are fights and looting, not people running around with guns shooting all they see and they are looking for food not guns (that's why ammo need adjusting).But when its people and an outside threat, there is a lot of teaming up and those  that are a threat are removed till stable groups form - as dead people cant respawn in RL, but that a unique problem dazy will have to work on.

Most of us PvPers play because we think this is how an authentic post-apocalyptic society would actually be. Carebears who come upon an armed stranger who is scavenging for goods and try to reason with him, only to be shot in the face, also don't "respawn in RL". I fail to understand how you think a post-apocalyptic society would be anything but cuthroat.

Edited by Mallow88
  • Like 1