rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2

Every survivor you come across attacks you if they have a means to' date=' every one that doesn't, runs until he/she finds one, then proceeds to shoot you. There is no atmosphere of teamwork present. It has become a deathmatch that never ceases.

[/quote']

this isnt going too stop no matter how tough the zeds are its still going to be easier for me to shoot u in the back for ur gear, the only thing that can be done is a way to tell a murderer from a survivor (I liked the skin change but heartbeats work)

theres plenty of people willing to group up, theres even posts on this forum of people organizing said groups, add them on steam, join them in TS and play with them stop relying on simply joining a server and expecting to instantly find friendlies who have no reason not to kill you.

Lol, I can find a vehicle in under a hour. Its not fucking hard, do some research on where they spawn, if you are so upset about not finding a vehicle swap servers until you find one, you know theres a thing called a wiki for dayz right?

also a way to tell bandits from good guys would be to add a tag, but you would have to be 5-10 feet infront of the person, his name would pop up, adn then you could check the game board or it could be automated to see if hes been reported as a bandit. That would be metagaming as dead ppl cant report but for all you babies out there who dont know how the world works it could be a bandaid

Dear Rocket,

Can we please have debug forest fix today if nothing else.

Thnx

this isnt going too stop no matter how tough the zeds are its still going to be easier for me to shoot u in the back for ur gear' date='[/quote']

throw away comment.... quite clearly isnt true.

there will of course be a tipping point at which lone survival is impossible. that isn't desirable, what is would a having areas you cant survive in alone.

zeds running in buildings? i don't know may not be the best idea

i know it's more realistic but they did very often manage to overrun me while walking because they were just too many now imagine if they also can run

take all the time in testing before releasing

if i think of the buggy behavior in this version (runnig through walls, appearing behind you etc. etc.)

although i'm up for the challenge fighting fast zeds inside buildings ;)

PLEASE ADD A CONFIRMATION DIALOGUE TO THE 'RESPAWN' OPTION

That would be Arma 2/OA menu system my friend. bother Dwarden for it, or better yet, try asking politely.

rocket, how about not losing your gear when swimming. new arma beta patch already supports it.

i am a fan of big slow hordes of zombies that had many art of walking........

i am a fan of hide and seek

i am a fan of "the walking dead" and "MGS 3 snake eater"

That's the way to go!

The idea of Zeds running indoors isn't very appealing, they already sprint like a champ and zig-zag like a pro NFL player. Perhaps if there were more Zombies it would address the no teamwork/low-threat-Zeds quo. I'm all for making it frighting and hard, hey I might even be wrong not having been able to go against Fast indoor zombies yet, but roll the following around for a minute:

You run inside from a pack of 5 zombies, they sprint in after you and usually end up going to far when you stop to shoot so they get behind you, you get surrounded and mauled. Death/K.O. in seconds. Sounds scary/fun sure, like a rollercoaster, fast and intense. But you died, fast(yeah yeah you should never have been caught, but shit happens, maybe a bandit fired off a round but the zombies found you because you were close and just unlucky). Its over before you know it. If you had a satisfying run no big, start over. Although if this happens often its gets frustrating. Not bad I think, but because you cant just dive out of windows due to it being a game with limits that you have to limit the realism unfortunately. The "If this were real it wouldn't have happened like that and I would have survived" factor. It's the ping response factor, they ran too far, through you usually and just turn around, sweep the knee and break your femur. Very Arcade-esque. Less forgiving, borders "Nintendo Hard".

Now ponder this:

They same city is packed with triple the amount of the undead(performance aside) that are slower, you run inside and they just pile in. Your gunning them down, maybe with friends but they don't stop. This isn't COD so you don't have hundreds of rounds of ammo(usually) so every miss makes your stomach lurch. The horde just keeps rolling in andif you are alone you can't fight for very long so you need friends(high zed numbers would also make it dangerous for bandits to go on player killing sprees). It could very well be your last stand and you must make the shots count to make an exit. Its that uneasy feeling of being trapped that is in between raw fear/shock and tension just on the border of instinct and rational thought. You have to think your way out, you cant just dive out a window. Plus the zombies don't flank you due to ping response speed. With slightly slower zeds they would attack you as soon as they got to you and not accidentally run by, unless you cut and dodged and it was on purpose as opposed to you stopping and turning.

But hey, both of this could be completely luck based/situational and turn out to be too cinematic. Who knows, the Mod is only in... uh... it's first trimester? Not quite infancy even ha.

i am a fan of big slow hordes of zombies that had many art of walking........

i am a fan of hide and seek

i am a fan of "the walking dead" and "MGS 3 snake eater"

That's the way to go!

What ?

sorry my english is shit and i do not understand what you mean.

i suggest that we should be able to drink from lakes and waterpumps directly.:heart:

words

i agree as much as it is possible to agree.

the super-human zombies are absolutely game breaking, despite what the sado-masochists may want you to believe.

ignore for a moment how unrealistic that the undead would bear the tremendous speed and coordination these zombies manifest, the game engine simply can't handle fast zombies. the frame rates are too low, regardless of hardware specs, and the client-server communication is too laggy.

arma 2 is not a run-and-gun engine, putting run-and-gun style zombies into it does not work well.

Rocket, whats the eta on this thing, your already 1 day behind and it doesn't seem likely that your releasing today either.

Now ponder this:

They same city is packed with triple the amount of the undead(performance aside) that are slower' date=' you run inside and they just pile in. Your gunning them down, maybe with friends but they don't stop. This isn't COD so you don't have hundreds of rounds of ammo(usually) so every miss makes your stomach lurch. The horde just keeps rolling in andif you are alone you can't fight for very long so you need friends(high zed numbers would also make it dangerous for bandits to go on player killing sprees). It could very well be your last stand and you must make the shots count to make an exit. Its that uneasy feeling of being trapped that is in between raw fear/shock and tension just on the border of instinct and rational thought. You have to think your way out, you cant just dive out a window. Plus the zombies don't flank you due to ping response speed. With slightly slower zeds they would attack you as soon as they got to you and not accidentally run by, unless you cut and dodged and it was on purpose as opposed to you stopping and turning.

[/quote']

/agree

I'd very much like to see more but slower zombies. The fact that they can run like 30 mph is a bit over the top imo.

rocket' date=' how about not losing your gear when swimming. new arma beta patch already supports it.

[/quote']

How about YOU grab 40 lbs of gear and go swimming. How do you think that will work out?

rocket' date=' how about not losing your gear when swimming. new arma beta patch already supports it.

[/quote']

*cough* realism...

However I would like to see a massive temperature loss and mobility drop after getting wet to represent the dangers of wet clothing, but then we'd move on to the Bear Gryles getting naked to survive type stuff then... but still.

Stay safe, its a cold world out there...

i suggest that we should be able to drink from lakes and waterpumps directly.:heart:

agreed!!! On one occasion a friend and I found our selfs without water, suffering from dehydration we stumbled upon a pond an remarked at how unrealistic it was to have a the water RIGHT THERE but being able to do absolutely nothing about it.

[/quote']

How about YOU grab 40 lbs of gear and go swimming. How do you think that will work out?

How about you stop bullshitting about realism. Its still a game. More real then ARMA2 itself it shoudnt be. How about I break your leg and you fix it with morphine ?

You suck out all your blood and then make a blood transfusion in the field in about 3 seconds ? Very realistic

[/quote']

How about you stop bullshitting about realism. Its still a game. More real then ARMA2 itself it shoudnt be. How about I break your leg and you fix it with morphine ?

You suck out all your blood and then make a blood transfusion in the field in about 3 seconds ? Very realistic

well said man

Anyway to fix zombies running speed? Right now they are running like rockets with super human speeds. Kinda ridiculous. Just buff the running speed of the player - we have to run for hours on this big map.

DayZ is NOT an experience for those without patience or without an affinity toward realism within the fiction of the experience. I may be way off here' date=' but I think the goal is a balance of playability and realism within the fiction of a zombie apocalypse. This would not include superhuman running speeds. First off, it is easy enough to stay ahead of zombies without an increased running speed. Secondly, the investment of time, patience, thought, effort and the risks (even though insanely frustrating most of the time) are exactly what set this mod a few levels above (in concept) many "AAA" titles out there. DayZ does not need to make any moves toward catering to those without patience or the attention span to successfully attempt to exist in this sandbox project. True, this is still in its Alpha state, but making changes such as was suggested here would be tantamount to killing the very spirit of the mod.

I am for the extreme buff of zeds, with their current state, they are not a problem, not even in huge packs of 30+, they do not pose large enough of a threat to be of any concern. If the zeds were more dangerous, it may help alleviate all the pvp that is taking place in the southern cities. Every survivor you come across attacks you if they have a means to, every one that doesn't, runs until he/she finds one, then proceeds to shoot you. There is no atmosphere of teamwork present. It has become a deathmatch that never ceases.

Zombies do not need to be independently any more dangerous than they are currently, IMO. This is for the sake of playability. You have to consider any number of other danger factors that can and will be active at any point in time. Even if you are playing in an empty locaton, there is the chance that you will get overwhelmed or caught off guard by zombies resulting in serious injury or death. Then there is the likely danger of other players who will come to cherry pick a zombie attack, looking for the chance to kill you in the confusion. Or....how about those newer survivor characters who have little to no defensive gear or medical supplies. An attack by even one zombie could be fatal even if they manage to kill or evade the zombie itself.

There are so many combinations of factors that may (or may not) come together to up the difficulty level of the game in any given situation that an artificial increase of zombie lethality would not be wise.

I understand that alot of this comes from those who have managed to equip themselves adequately and no longer find zombies much of a threat, but this is also realistic. The better equipped you are, the less the threat of dying to zombies becomes. This is as it should (and would) be. if Zombies were the ONLY threat in the game, I would might possibly need to be made a little more dangerous.

What is needed is some "end game goal" that will continue to challenge those who have survived long enough to equip themselves with most or all of what they feel they want or need. That, however, is a whole other facet of the discussion.

Zombie behavior and lethality may need some tweaking from the current 1.7.2 build, but they do not need to be made more dangerous.

/agree

I'd very much like to see more but slower zombies. The fact that they can run like 30 mph is a bit over the top imo.

Indeed. I think we'll get there. It will just take a while.

Personally I'd like to see 5% of zombies that can catch running players and force them to defend themselves. 75% walkers and slow joggers. 10% hoppers and 10% crawlers.

On top of all that. Head shots need to always be 1 shot kills. Body shots should take MUCH more than they do now.

So there's the tradeoff that works best I think. Very few speedy zombies. Mostly slow zombies, and make headshots/shotguns more critical.

words

i agree as much as it is possible to agree.

the super-human zombies are absolutely game breaking' date=' despite what the sado-masochists may want you to believe.

ignore for a moment how unrealistic that the undead would bear the tremendous speed and coordination these zombies manifest, the game engine simply can't handle fast zombies. the frame rates are too low, regardless of hardware specs, and the client-server communication is too laggy.

arma 2 is not a run-and-gun engine, putting run-and-gun style zombies into it does not work well.

[/quote']

Indeed. ARMA2 is about precision and planning over super-dynamic-seat-of-your-pants-CQB. That's why there's no standard melee. The controls and engine weren't designed for Zombies. It was designed for AI with guns and thought. You might be able to make Rage-Zeds realistic, but they player is so very limited in how they can deal with them up close. You can't rifle stroke/shove/throw/grapple etc, its shoot or hatchet, and if you have to switch to the hatchet it's a super convoluted method(not your fault Dev's). It should just switch positions with your primary on the tool belt. With that said, yes it is realistic. The rifle could have a sling which equates to "toolbelt" for the sake of the engine. Hell, theres even, I forget the name, hooks you can snap your rifle vertically to your belt in combo with a sling so its at your side rather than slung across your back. Also Tactical slings. Programming-wise to avoid walking armouries, easier said than done.

agreed!!! On one occasion a friend and I found our selfs without water' date=' suffering from dehydration we stumbled upon a pond an remarked at how unrealistic it was to have a the water RIGHT THERE but being able to do absolutely nothing about it.

[/quote']well. i wouldnt want it to be added for the sake of realism(Rocket doesnt want that anyway, adding features for the sake of realism) but i had the same situation like you and run for like 15minutes red blinking and came across like one dam and 4 lakes :D ( i still did it, finding a farm and some pepsi ).

and now its not to bad with drinks and bottles. it would maybe benefit the most for the newly spawned. anyway i would like that feature.