Frell

Reduce triangle counts in cities

Hello there

Since the RV is Bi's custom built engine, its unlikely it will be holding R back.

What might be an issue is the fact it was never really designed to be an AAA bf4 CS type engine.

So, whilst it excels at some area it might not be natively superb at others.

The fact it IS their own creation means that the likelihood of major changes happening are higher in the long term.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 5

Weird, I felt bad for Dean since he's stuck with the engine. It most likely holds him back.

there's just no other game like Arma though. it's the go to response for this kind of thing, but it is what it is. none of those other engines really provide the level of simulation Arma does. that's the main reason I'm not particularly interested in any of the 'DayZ clones' out there

Yea I certainly think its no coincidence that dayz was created on this engine. Whilst not the best in optimization, it certainly excels in innovation.

Hello there

Since the RV is Bi's custom built engine, its unlikely it will be holding R back.

What might be an issue is the fact it was never really designed to be an AAA bf4 CS type engine.

So, whilst it excels at some area it might not be natively superb at others.

The fact it IS their own creation means that the likelihood of major changes happening are higher in the long term.

Rgds

LoK

Then why was there no real increase in performance when A3 went from alpha to release?

Hello there

Im sorry I dont get the relevance?

Was an increase expected? How does that relate to my post? Confuzzled.

Rgds

LoK

Then why was there no real increase in performance when A3 went from alpha to release?

there was an increase, but not as much as people would have liked

I think the issue will be improved once occlusion culling is added to towns (I remember Rocket saying this would happen eventually on one of his streams).

Ideally, the game should render the outside of the house and the inside separately, so when you are at a certain distance it should only render the outside and as you get close it'll start rendering the inside as well. If they manage to do this we should see a big improvement in performance.

Of course, depending on how these houses might have been built this might require some art changes so it could take some time.

I think the issue will be improved once occlusion culling is added to towns (I remember Rocket saying this would happen eventually on one of his streams).

Ideally, the game should render the outside of the house and the inside separately, so when you are at a certain distance it should only render the outside and as you get close it'll start rendering the inside as well. If they manage to do this we should see a big improvement in performance.

Of course, depending on how these houses might have been built this might require some art changes so it could take some time.

Glad to hear its planned on being added.

Occlusion culling shouldn't require any new art, as it is just a calculation to determine what should be rendered and what shouldnt be dependent upon what is on the clients screen. I think this is where some of the biggest performance gains will be seen. We have powerful tech nowadays but not crazy enough to render every thing in a city lol.

I have a pretty decent pc and haven't seen any fps drops at all with everything turned as high as it will go. I've only played on servers with 10-20 people so I can't say what it would do if twenty people were in Cherno when I ran through. I'm also curious what exactly causes it for most people because its definitely not the geometry. I built an absurd map for Arma3 using L3DT and had close to 400 buildings all in the same place with not much drop in FPS. When I loaded a modified Dayz mod on it my client would auto crash. That tells me its either loot spawns or zombies/other players. Since there aren't a whole lot of zombies in the game right now it might just be loot updates that are dragging you down. You might not be rendering them but it may be loading the items into memory so that it doesn't have to spam your client with updates for 2500 items a second. If nothing else, have you tried lowering the textures down really low to see if that helps your fps?

Edited by hogs

In its current state this is the FIRST Bohemia game ive gotten Decent FPS in. If by the end of it all it increased I would be super pleased. I gave up playing the Dayz Mod because of fps issues alone. Felt like 10 fps in the store in elektro.. It said I was getting 18 but it sure didnt feel like it. Arma 3 I had good fps in campain and such but anyhting multiplayer from bohemia has been a mess untill now. I hope they keep it up.

AMD 965 Black Edition 4.0 GHz c3

4 GB DDR2 ~ Do your research ram speeds are a negligible stat.. (b4 I have to argue with someone)

GTX 480

BF3-4 over 70 FPS at all times Avg 100, Avg for CS 200.......

Aren't we talking about DayZ and not Arma 3 here?

Hello there

Im sorry I dont get the relevance?

Was an increase expected? How does that relate to my post? Confuzzled.

Rgds

LoK

They're under the same studio and are very similar engines.

BiS has a terrible history with performance which is why I'm concerned for DayZ. ALOT of new people are coming into the game and if this clunkyness isn't ironed out soon theyll all part ways. 30k players at once is amazing, but not for long. People who aren't used to Arma aren't going to like it at all. And "get used to it" is not a good thing to tell people when DayZ/Arma is the odd one out

Why do you guys make suggestions on how they should write this game when you can't even see the already existing code

If the existing code was working we'd all be running the game very well.
Edited by Frell

I have a pretty decent pc and haven't seen any fps drops at all with everything turned as high as it will go. I've only played on servers with 10-20 people so I can't say what it would do if twenty people were in Cherno when I ran through. I'm also curious what exactly causes it for most people because its definitely not the geometry. I built an absurd map for Arma3 using L3DT and had close to 400 buildings all in the same place with not much drop in FPS. When I loaded a modified Dayz mod on it my client would auto crash. That tells me its either loot spawns or zombies/other players. Since there aren't a whole lot of zombies in the game right now it might just be loot updates that are dragging you down. You might not be rendering them but it may be loading the items into memory so that it doesn't have to spam your client with updates for 2500 items a second. If nothing else, have you tried lowering the textures down really low to see if that helps your fps?

I play on lowest as it is, turning some settings up has no change on my fps so I just turn them up. When I play games I always start on lowest and start going up by whats the most important to me. For example shadows disabled and shadows very high has no hit for me.

If the existing code was working we'd all be running the game very well.

Well I'm a C++ programmer and... after reading a bunch of posts in this topic I can tell you guys aren't. No offense but half the "implementation suggestions" here are uneducated ramblings and the other half are purely shots in the dark in terms of being relevant if you don't know how they've written everything

Well I'm a C++ programmer and... after reading a bunch of posts in this topic I can tell you guys aren't. No offense but half the "implementation suggestions" here are uneducated ramblings and the other half are purely shots in the dark in terms of being relevant if you don't know how they've written everything

Yea because NO ONE ELSE could possibly have experience in the field?

Ok.

Well I dont think anyone was saying hey rocket, do it like this. I sure wasnt. Hell if anything I said was an "uneducated rambling", sorry i thought its was relevant to the convo cause its what ive learned. I never claimed to be a programmer in fact Im always looking to expand my knowledge, its come from hours upon hours of google searching, not classroom learning. Id love to learn how to code properly, but dont have the time for it atm. Maybe when life slows down a bit. By all means, id love to hear how and you found errors in what I said.

Edited by Davschall

None of this is insulting Rocket. Rocket is a game developer not an engine tech programmer, there is a difference.

Your video memory is extremely important. If you have a 2 GB card, you want to set your video memory to 2048 Mb.

what you people keep forgetting is that arma is simulator with very high cpu demand, and when i saw that dayz SA kept it`s core features it still is demanding on cpu, gpu is not that important here.

gpu is not that important here.

And that is not good at all. GPU's are built for this, if they're not going to use it its a slap in the face.

And that is not good at all. GPU's are built for this, if they're not going to use it its a slap in the face.

this game is big, graphics are decent here but not most important, you need good cpu and memory to get nice fps. you know, you quote one part of what i said, it chances all meaning, so read more carefully next time.

Why do you guys make suggestions on how they should write this game when you can't even see the already existing code

You can see the code that you DL with the game is almost the same code as the old A2 Mod only codes we can't see is the server side which would be spawning locations % of loot spawning in building ect ect.

Arma 3 went from alpha to release with very little performance change.

REALLY ????

Did you even play Arma 3 during the alpha ?

i got 20+ FPS from the alpha to the current version

Edited by Inexorable

REALLY ????

Did you even play Arma 3 during the alpha ?

i got 20+ FPS from the alpha to the current version

I never got 20+, I did get 5 or 10 but only in single player

this game is big, graphics are decent here but not most important, you need good cpu and memory to get nice fps. you know, you quote one part of what i said, it chances all meaning, so read more carefully next time.

No I was basically agreeing with you

Edited by Frell