.VincenT.

Sniper Rifles

while that may be true, i think that dayz was set in the "armaverse", where there was the chernarus civil war. i think that was rocket's excuse for nato weaponry. but again, even if that is the case, as50s do not really fit either way. who uses 50. snipers against insurgents with little to no armour?

The US army.

To kill targets behind cover.

• Like 1

anyone with weapon experience would be able to operate an M4. anyone without specialized training would most likely break their arm trying to fire a 50.

do you know how much power you're dealing with here?

I had no specialized training when I fired a .50BMG rifle for the first time. I was, not surprisingly, uninjured. 

There's a reason they put those big muzzle brakes on the front. 

And this wasn't even a semi-automatic rifle or one with any sort of reciprocating barrel. 

You would be surprised to learn that the 'kick' from a rifle is due to the relationship between the amount of recoil energy it has and the time over which it is imparted into your shoulder. 

A semi-automatic mechanism or a reciprocating barrel doesn't really 'eat up' much of the recoil energy, but it does help increase the duration of time during which it is transmitted to your body. 

Consider the difference between being hit with a hammer, and having the ball of a hammer set against your arm and pressed down. Even if the same kinetic energy is involved, the short shock is much worse for you.

Because 50BMG rifles have muzzle brakes, which propel hot gas back toward the shooter like a jet, pushing the rifle away from you at the same time the recoil energy is pushing it back, the 'kick' isn't nearly what you'd imagine it to be from wherever you got your wrong idea. 

The only thing you need to know to safely shoot a 50BMG rifle is to make sure to press the stock firmly against your shoulder. But this isn't any kind of specialized training or procedure, it is just as necessary, if not more so, when firing something like a Mosin Nagant or similar bolt action rifle. 
Edited by HCHellCaptain
  • Like 1

The US army.

To kill targets behind cover.

good point.

I had no specialized training when I fired a .50BMG rifle for the first time. I was, not surprisingly, uninjured. 

And this wasn't even a semi-automatic rifle or one with any sort of reciprocating barrel. 

You would be surprised to learn that the 'kick' from a rifle is due to the relationship between the amount of recoil energy it has and the time over which it is imparted into your shoulder. 

A semi-automatic mechanism or a reciprocating barrel doesn't really 'eat up' much of the recoil energy, but it does help increase the duration of time during which it is transmitted to your body. 

Consider the difference between being hit with a hammer, and having the ball of a hammer set against your arm and pressed down. Even if the same kinetic energy is involved, the short shock is much worse for you.

Because 50BMG rifles have muzzle brakes, which propel hot gas back toward the shooter like a jet, pushing the rifle away from you at the same time the recoil energy is pushing it back, the 'kick' isn't nearly what you'd imagine it to be from wherever you got your wrong idea. 

The only thing you need to know to safely shoot a 50BMG rifle is to make sure to press the stock firmly against your shoulder. But this isn't any kind of specialized training or procedure, it is just as necessary, if not more so, when firing something like a Mosin Nagant or similar bolt action rifle. 

well since i am obviously the lord and master of everything and can not be wrong, i will burn you with fire.

Edit: i just realised that the internet is a terrible place and someone might not understand that this is a stupid joke, and not an insult in any way.

Edited by radivmoe

Yea, ive heard the over pressure from the .50s is worst than the recoil.. ive never fired one :( (got a mate here in nz that had one, but he sold it before i got a go > :( ), i loved the ole m2's, and the over pressure from them never really bothered me... but im kinda deaf anyway ;)

25lbs... isnt that much... no more than a loaded gpmg, ive lugged them for weeks at a time... i think what people consider reasonable weights is probably gonna differ depending on personal experince... i dont actually care if there isnt a .50, ive never been into them in the mod, mk48 was my baby... so... pkp for stand :ph34r: alone (its kinda a quick fire sniper)

Edit in, o course the over pressure from m2 would be heaps less than a .50 with a muzzle break

Edited by KingOchaos

There won't be any .50cals, but I'm sure we'll see a few more scoped weapons.

If no .50 cal so no vehicle disables on the run? 

Yea, ive heard the over pressure from the .50s is worst than the recoil.. ive never fired one :( (got a mate here in nz that had one, but he sold it before i got a go > :( ), i loved the ole m2's, and the over pressure from them never really bothered me... but im kinda deaf anyway ;)

25lbs... isnt that much... no more than a loaded gpmg, ive lugged them for weeks at a time... i think what people consider reasonable weights is probably gonna differ depending on personal experince... i dont actually care if there isnt a .50, ive never been into them in the mod, mk48 was my baby... so... pkp for stand :ph34r: alone (its kinda a quick fire sniper)

Yeah, when I got to shoot one, the feeling in your sinuses, lungs, etc from the pressure was a bit more impressive than the recoil. 

We were just out in the desert shooting some rocks and stuff for the heck of it. Didnt have any trouble firing it from the shoulder standing, recoil-wise. 

It's more unpleasant to shoot normal bolt action rifles, in my opinion, from a recoil perspective. 

Edited by HCHellCaptain

LOL @ the people crying because they won't have any OP .50's to shoot people with from700-800m and think they're gold at sniping.

LOL @ the people crying because they won't have any OP .50's to shoot people with from700-800m and think they're gold at sniping.

You do know... a 300 win mag will out shoot an m24... and for that matter a .338 lapua mag out shoots a .50 ;)  I would still be fearing snipers if i were you, .50s were good for knocking down choppers... but there are plenty o other rifles that will fill that dreaded sniper slot. Unless we just make it sticks and rocks :unsure: You know, for balance.

Unless we just make it sticks and rocks :unsure: You know, for balance.

Well if we add .50cals then we should probably add nukes.

That's the reverse of your argument. It's not very strong, is it?

If your getting sniped, its your own fault, then you suck. DONT blame the damn AS50 for it. OP? If you stand still in the middle of an field and then wonder why your dead you blame the snipers? Cmon. This reminds me of CSGO where everybody calls out hacks when somebody is better than them. Banditry is a part of survival, and youll probably never know what you would do in a real life situation since you wont be in a zombie apocalypse so dont come with that shit. If I snipe someone in BF4 there is no reward, if I snipe someone here I have loot. There is just no real reason to not add them, its just little kids like you crying that make other kids cry even more.

You realize that rocket basically abandoned dayz mod for standalone? The game went in a direction where ROCKET did NOT want it to go and that is shoot everything that moves,rocket will do everything in his power to prevent the same EXACT thing again. Also rocket doesn't want the game to be BATTLEFIELD with rage induced humans as a nuisance.

• Like 2

Well if we add .50cals then we should probably add nukes.

That's the reverse of your argument. It's not very strong, is it?

Im not saying add 50 cals, im saying that no 50 cals does not mean no sniping... and the only way to stop it, is by abandoning fire arms... i fail to see how that was hard to interpret... and no your rebuttal makes very little sense ;)

Edited by KingOchaos

If no .50 cal so no vehicle disables on the run? 

If you're asking how will we be able to stop vehicles without anti-material rifles, well that's easy. You shoot them.

If it's like the mod and most vehicles are civilian, then it doesn't take much. I've always had success just shooting a tire out, except on Urals. If you need an anti-material rifle to stop a Betty van you have other things to worry about.

• Like 1

You realize that rocket basically abandoned dayz mod for standalone? The game went in a direction where ROCKET did NOT want it to go and that is shoot everything that moves,rocket will do everything in his power to prevent the same EXACT thing again. Also rocket doesn't want the game to be BATTLEFIELD with rage induced humans as a nuisance.

thats an interesting interpretation... as i understood it, it was more because, you know he was paid to make the standalone on the grounds the mod was so successful by BI.

If you're asking how will we be able to stop vehicles without anti-material rifles, well that's easy. You shoot them.

If it's like the mod and most vehicles are civilian, then it doesn't take much. I've always had success just shooting a tire out, except on Urals. If you need an anti-material rifle to stop a Betty van you have other things to worry about.

Its not going to be like the mod, in that you can modify, arm and armor vehicles... end o the day, if you can make improvised explosive devices, as it looks like we are going to be able to, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Edited by KingOchaos

Im not saying add 50 cals, im saying that no 50 cals does not mean no sniping... and the only way to stop it, is by abandoning fire arms... i fail to see how that was hard to interpret... and no your rebuttal makes very little sense ;)

But there are currently only two primary weapons in the game and one of them (i.e. 50% of the weapons in the game) is capable of sniping. :huh:

But there are currently only two primary weapons in the game and one of them (i.e. 50% of the weapons in the game) is capable of sniping. :huh:

It was in response to this... which i guess is in response to you declaring there will be no 50s in standalone(i couldnt help but notice a .50 hummer in that thread going through logs or such of incoming stuff.. but err)

Because, most hunting rifles are perfectly capable of hitting some one past 800m.. it dosnt matter if they only add hunting calibers... a lot of them (pretty much all big game calibers) out perform military calibers.. and this thread is talking about where the game is going... and i was pointing out he was being premature in his crowing about the death of the l33t as snipers.

while that may be true, i think that dayz was set in the "armaverse", where there was the chernarus civil war. i think that was rocket's excuse for nato weaponry. but again, even if that is the case, as50s do not really fit either way. who uses 50. snipers against insurgents with little to no armour?

It's actully used by the British Armed Forces (a DLC) in ArmA2. Though most of their action in the ArmAverse is taking place in Takistan from what I've seen.

It's actully used by the British Armed Forces (a DLC) in ArmA2. Though most of their action in the ArmAverse is taking place in Takistan from what I've seen.

yeah, not chernarus. you prove my point.

It was in response to this... which i guess is in response to you declaring there will be no 50s in standalone(i couldnt help but notice a .50 hummer in that thread going through logs or such of incoming stuff.. but err)

Because, most hunting rifles are perfectly capable of hitting some one past 800m.. it dosnt matter if they only add hunting calibers... a lot of them (pretty much all big game calibers) out perform military calibers.. and this thread is talking about where the game is going... and i was pointing out he was being premature in his crowing about the death of the l33t as snipers.

50 cal mounted hummer is one thing, a sniper is another different type of engagement. For hummer thats a machine gun (obviously) but a sniper can easily take of that by killing the gunner or the driver, or one tire either way will make it stop. the sniper though the guy can sit hidden some where and kill a good number before he is found/ counter sniper given he is not in popular sniping spot.  Also hummer is hard to hid once you start shooting if there is anyone alive you can find him and it takes at least two ppl to make it a dangerous weapon, a team to make it leathal : one drive, one shoots, the rest gives perimeter cover and/ or assault element 

Simple solution.  In no way can you just slap a scope on any weapon and it be zeroed in.  Make scopes seperate from all types of rifles 50 included and put in a zeroing system where you have to find ammo and then properly sight your gun in.

Realistic and would keep scrubs from just grabbing a gun and finding a hill side.  Also true for other types such as ACOG.

Also when better zombies get implemented would be a very dangerous indevour.

Edited by Cheb44
  • Like 3

This thread has more BS in it than a commercial cattle feed lot. Others have pointed this out but I'll reiterate. There is no such thing as a 'sniper rifle' as any rifle in the hands of a trained sniper becomes a 'sniper's rifle'. Sniper rifles are a myth created by media to classify usually scoped (though the most sucessful sniper in history used an unscoped MN91/30) high powered rifle.

Does high powered mean .50BMG? Yes and no. Generally 'high powered' refers to any cartridge over .22.

So, does this mean there are 'high powered sniper's rifles' in the game? Certainly as the MN91/30 uses a cartridge that is halfway between the .308 (M14 platform, also called 7.62 NATO though there are slight differences between the two) and the 30-06 (M1 Garand, 1903a4 springfield etc).

Do .50 cals have a place? I don't think so as I personally shoot a ton and have only seen/fired a handful of .50BMG rifles, they are heavy, they are extremely loud and they are cumbersome. If .50s are added in these factors should be taken into account. As someone else posted the muzzle blast from these large rifles are pretty intense and makes rapid, accurate follow-up shots nearly impossible. I say nearly because someone who trains regularly with the .50BMG can probably overcome this with time/practice etc.

That's my 2 cents. Continue to flame away.

• Like 5

Alot of people dont seem to understand that this is a game, real life is different then a game. A game needs to be realistic to some point, it also needs to be fun, a game which is 100% like irl or somewhere close to that wouldnt make any fun.

Its not going to be like the mod, in that you can modify, arm and armor vehicles... end o the day, if you can make improvised explosive devices, as it looks like we are going to be able to, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

How about we wait and see just how vehicles work before deciding that anti-material rifles are needed to stop them.

Also can you give a source for what you just said?

I think I posted this already but I will say it again.

Logically, no one with half a brain is going to order .50 snipers against zombies and scared screaming people in cars. A .50 HMG? Maybe. Bur definitely not a .50 sniper. Totally unrealistic. Yes it is anti material, doesn't mean. Other cartridges cannot go through cars.

In fact, a .223 can easily penetrate a car. That means all you need is a M4 and some ammo and hose a burst or two at a car and boom, drivers and passengers dead, car crashes.

Unless the military were dealing with a large armored force, AKA ANOTHER MILITARY, we shouldn't be seeing AM rifles.

IF this did happen, we should be seeing tanks as well.