Frost20

Dean Hall is the Einstein of game dev

The way this game is being made reminds me of back in the day when Blizzard was at its golden age, and Nintendo actually pushed out some really good freakin games. A game worth a thousand words, let me think....

-Warcraft 3

-Banjo Kazooie

-Zelda Ocarina of time 

-Star-fox 64 

-Resident evil 4

-Red dead redemption

-Skyrim/oblivian

^ Games that are played even today by people around the world, people like me, who know ill have a good time.

But what makes a good game? A game is art. So what if an artist went up and down the street and asked everyone what they liked/didnt like? What if that artist took what seemed to be the most vocal requests by the community and put it into art form? A disaster thats what! Dean Hall is creating an amazing work of art that nobody can predict, no one is going to play the final product of this game and say "I totally expected that" or "This is just like every other game". 

My only wish at this point is that Dean Hall makes the best darn game he can make, with whatever he feels is right to make it how it should be. Let the community give its input here and there, but don't let it alter your game vision. If you want the game to make us figure out how to play its hidden and unforgiving mechanics? So be it. If you want the game to be an easy, call of duty type game where anyone can pick it up and experience the whole thing in an hour, so be it. Just do it right, and make it fun, thats all that matters.

You know a fair chunk of einsteins theories have been proven wrong.

Really?

I would like to hear more about this!

I'm curious to know what similarities you have found between the development of this game (which is, sad to say.. a lot "like some other games".. most notable being the DayZ mod..) and the development of say, Ocarina of Time.

Yeah this game is no different outside Dayz Mod. I mean the GUI, char avatar, inventory (icons), clothing. but all the core mechanics didn change. It makes you wonder what all was really rewritten? lol the AI most certainly was not..

Edited by BigCountry

I'm curious to know what similarities you have found between the development of this game (which is, sad to say.. a lot "like some other games".. most notable being the DayZ mod..) and the development of say, Ocarina of Time.

No one ever told the devs of ocarina of time to make something easier/harder/easier to do. There was no mass internet forum or social media. Just a bunch of artist, making a wonderful piece of art. Dean Hall is developing the game around his own wonderful image of a great game, something to stand the test of time and criticism 

Dean Hall is developing the game around his own wonderful image of a great game, something to stand the test of time and criticism 

No, because art by its very nature is subjective.. If people don't like it, it will fail.

Don't clog the forums by asking me.

Use the search function on google.

cop-out  [kop-out]

noun | Informal.

an act or instance of copping out; reneging; evasion: The governor's platform was a cop-out.

• Like 1

No, because art by its very nature is subjective.. If people don't like it, it will fail.

Indeed, but look at other titles such as ESO for example, that are trying to use the most vocal community members of the MMO world to shape their game. Its a mess, you have people claiming its too mainstream and other claiming its not mainstream enough. When the game comes out there will be very few people who actually stick with it and even fewer who are satisfied with the whole package. In contrast, look at Star Citizen, a game out of no where with a vision to make something that no one ever went on Reddit and screamed about, a game where only time will tell what will unfold, the work put in by the artists, the dedication of the lead, and the ethic of the entire crew. 

Another example.. Wildstar. A game claimed by a vocal minority to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the numbers indicate that no one really cares, its not original and all thats happening is a few vocal community members, along with completely cliche and riskless developers, are making what appears to be the most boring game of all time. Its small NDA lift attracted like 2k viewers which is pretty sad considering its so called "hype"

EDIT: i meant verbalist not vocalist

Edited by Frost20

Really?

I would like to hear more about this!

Well it was only theories after all.

Joking, joking, I'm joking alright?!