EalDrakiaz

To Rocket : you could do something to make the PVP more interesting.

Hello, I had an idea to make the PVP better. 

Actually, many players kill everybody on sight. And it destroys something because when you meet someone, you KNOW that there is a 90 % probability that he will attack you.

Paranoïa is a really good thing of Day Z and if everybody kill others always, you lose the real fear of the other because you know he will attack you, so you shoot him and that's all.

So, it could be intersting to make the bandits who play like psychopaths (by killing innocents on sight) become mad more and more.

And by mad, I want to say : having hallucinations (auditive and visual), and visual effects (see in black, white and red or maybe having some black distortions on the screen).

So the psychopaths could hear shots, human screams, steps sounds and see some zombies who don't exist.

It would happen to real psychopaths, who kill A LOT of innocent people. If the other guy has shot you or your friend, killing him is a defense, not an attack.

I know many people will not like this idea, but if people want just to kill others, there are maaaaany games where the only goal is to kill others.

Day Z is a game of survival and paranoïa, not just a murder game.

Anyway, hope some would like this idea, have a good day (z).

You apparently don't know what a psychopath is.

• Like 4

Ideas similar to this have been suggested many times before and were burned off long ago. Nobody wants to implement a system where there are any kinds of game-given benefits or detriments for behaving a certain way when playing DayZ.

It just isn't going to happen.

• Like 3

A psychopath doesn't care about the people he kills. He has no signs of affection. Not exactly what you describe there... ;)

And for that suggestion, it's been suggested a thousand times, NO! Dammit, you don't come to the forums suggesting stuff that is completely agains the ideals behind DayZ!

Ideas similar to this have been suggested many times before and were burned off long ago. Nobody wants to implement a system where there are any kinds of game-given benefits or detriments for behaving a certain way when playing DayZ.

It just isn't going to happen.

Beat me to it :D Thx

Edited by Weparo
  • Like 1

I know what a psychopath is. And people who kill all the people they see are....a little bit psycho, isn't it ? Maybe not a psychopath, but a mad guy after many people kill with this simple idea : "it's funny to kill others", and not killing because you're starving.

It's not about benefits or detriments, but something which could make murderers think about what they are doing. Something funny which would not make the game impossible to play but because of what people would think before killing others. There would be many murders and PVP, but with some realistic fair-play things. Everybody can become a monster, but it would be interesting to have some effects which would make you feel like a psycho, someone who would become mad because of his murders.

And with that, everybody would not kill others ALWAYS, just often. And paranoia would be better. Isn't it ?

I know what a psychopath is.

That's weird because the definition of psychopath is literally the exact opposite of what you're saying it is.

No No and No.

I don't even understand your title, how would something like this make pvp more interesting? Would someone want to have hallucinations on their screen, or would that make people shoot others less because they know magical hallucinations will then appear. The game aims to be a survival simulator and certainly does not need made up stuff like hallucinations

I feel like if the game gets to the point of having functional hordes of zombies in the cities that run toward loud noises, players will think twice about firing a loud gun.

• Like 2

In the real world, people wouldn't kill them each others like that, so easily. And many, many people don't understand that : the personnal morality is important in the real world. Many soldiers come back shocked. So I think it would be nice to have this thing in Day Z. To add an ambiguity.

I know what a psychopath is. And people who kill all the people they see are....a little bit psycho, isn't it ? 

No... actually a psychopath doesn't need to kill anyone and not everyone who kills people, like serial kilers are psychopaths. Actually the medical community recently split psychopathy as a diagnosis and term up. In general though it means someone who lacks empathy and is unable to create interpersonal ties to other people. They also tend to lack remorse simply because they don't relate to others. I've dealt with a couple in my times and they are some of the scariest kids I've ever met.

• Like 1

I've killed plenty of innocent people and I don't see any zombies running around.

What part of early alpha dont you get?

Uhg. This suggestion again. Please no.

No... actually a psychopath doesn't need to kill anyone and not everyone who kills people, like serial kilers are psychopaths. Actually the medical community recently split psychopathy as a diagnosis and term up. In general though it means someone who lacks empathy and is unable to create interpersonal ties to other people. They also tend to lack remorse simply because they don't relate to others. I've dealt with a couple in my times and they are some of the scariest kids I've ever met.

Actually I've read some interesting research that says that about 10- 20% of all people could technically be considered "psychopaths." However, not all of them are murderers, like you say. In fact, it's very possible society couldn't even function without them. Psychopaths are naturally good leaders and tend to utilize other's abilities to the maximum.

What part of early alpha dont you get?

What part of OP said if you kill innocent people you should start seeing zombies that don't exist don't you get?

I know what a psychopath is. And people who kill all the people they see are....a little bit psycho, isn't it ? Maybe not a psychopath, but a mad guy after many people kill with this simple idea : "it's funny to kill others", and not killing because you're starving.

It's not about benefits or detriments, but something which could make murderers think about what they are doing. Something funny which would not make the game impossible to play but because of what people would think before killing others. There would be many murders and PVP, but with some realistic fair-play things. Everybody can become a monster, but it would be interesting to have some effects which would make you feel like a psycho, someone who would become mad because of his murders.

And with that, everybody would not kill others ALWAYS, just often. And paranoia would be better. Isn't it ?

As a psychopath, I don't think that you know what you are talking about. And even if I wasn't one, essence of your argument combined with your phrasing, would suggest that you don't know what you are talking about anyway.

Edited by Septimus

What part of OP said if you kill innocent people you should start seeing zombies that don't exist don't you get?

What part of my comment did you not get?

I replied to the dude who said that zombies dont come running at you when you fire your gun at innocents by saying its an early alpha aka there are not many zombies in. I also replied earlier to this topic saying no to all the magical hallucination stuff..

Uhg. This suggestion again. Please no.

Actually I've read some interesting research that says that about 10- 20% of all people could technically be considered "psychopaths." However, not all of them are murderers, like you say. In fact, it's very possible society couldn't even function without them. Psychopaths are naturally good leaders and tend to utilize other's abilities to the maximum.

There was a study in... Late 80s? Early 90s? That interviewed a large number of people with a test designed to measure empathy and other areas. Those who score lower than... 19? 20? are considered to have Psychopathic tendencies. I believe the result was around 1.5% of the population. Guess who works for a company that makes software for psychological testing and used to work in group homes for kids with behavioural issues. I've got a few close friends who are therapists as well and I spend some parts of my day chatting with psychologists. 

Not magical, just psychologic effects which could make some strain for murderers, for serial killers.

If you have a better ideas to represent the psychological effects of killing everybody, please write it.

Please try to understand why I propose that : to make the game more interesting because people would kill less without reason. So there would be more paranoïa, because only a few people would kill you, but you would be always able to kill innocent people.

There was a study in... Late 80s? Early 90s? That interviewed a large number of people with a test designed to measure empathy and other areas. Those who score lower than... 19? 20? are considered to have Psychopathic tendencies. I believe the result was around 1.5% of the population. Guess who works for a company that makes software for psychological testing and used to work in group homes for kids with behavioural issues. I've got a few close friends who are therapists as well and I spend some parts of my day chatting with psychologists. 

A recent neurological study done this year, out of Germany I think, actually showed through FMRI that known psychopaths are able to willingly activate their "mirror" center in the brain, which controls empathy. Basically, for a psychopath it is "off" by default, but it doesn't make them completely incapable of empathy or emotion. The problem with a test like that one is that a self-aware psychopath can willingly answer the questions in a way that makes them seem empathetic, so it's not incredibly accurate. Basically, a lot of them could simply be lying. The real problem is that it's very difficult to actually "get inside" a person's thought processes, which in turn makes it very difficult to study psychopathy with complete accuracy. Also, mental disorders are often tiered, and not just binary. So there are most likely varying levels of the disorder and such.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

When I created this post, it was not about giving the perfect definition of "psychopath" but discuss and submit some ideas to make the game different for serial-killers, to have less murders "just for fun", so more paranoia, so a better game experience.

It would happen to real psychopaths, who kill A LOT of innocent people. If the other guy has shot you or your friend, killing him is a defense, not an attack.

It would be impossible for the game to determine 100% what was and wasn't a justified kill.  There are more factors than simply just if a player has shot you or a "friend."

I believe some sort of karma like system might have been mentioned by Rocket but we're still in an early stage of the game development right now.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly
  • Like 1

When I created this post, it was not about giving the perfect definition of "psychopath" but discuss and submit some ideas to make the game different for serial-killers, to have less murders "just for fun", so more paranoia, so a better game experience.

Yeah we're getting off topic. But to be completely honest, I do not agree that this would result in a "better game experience." This game is about the brutal realism of social destruction and anarchy. Player killing is highly contextual, and a computer system simply can't analyze the context of any given situation accurately. How do you decide between murders that are done in cold blood and out of self-defense? There's simply no way. Every single player would end up hallucinating, which is quite nonsensical. Even then, this is an age old suggestion of DayZ and it's generally agreed that the best way to proceed is not to punish certain playstyles, but simply to offer more content in the world and more to do. A more difficult environment, more zombies, objectives that require cooperation. That sort of thing will help to curb KoS. Of course it's never going away and to punish PvP would in fact make this game quite boring.

That's just my opinion of course.

• Like 1

Yeah we're getting off topic. But to be completely honest, I do not agree that this would result in a "better game experience." This game is about the brutal realism of social destruction and anarchy. Player killing is highly contextual, and a computer system simply can't analyze the context of any given situation accurately. How do you decide between murders that are done in cold blood and out of self-defense? There's simply no way. Every single player would end up hallucinating, which is quite nonsensical. Even then, this is an age old suggestion of DayZ and it's generally agreed that the best way to proceed is not to punish certain playstyles, but simply to offer more content in the world and more to do. A more difficult environment, more zombies, objectives that require cooperation. That sort of thing will help to curb KoS. Of course it's never going away and to punish PvP would in fact make this game quite boring.

That's just my opinion of course.

More value to your character's life making it less rewarding to risk it simply to "Lulz Kill" someone.