DerrocK (DayZ)

Surviving way too easy for veterans

As the title says, for the veterans like me that played the mod for like 2 years, it is very easy to survive, even for my brother who has just bought the game and never played the mod. Once you find food and drink and run like 15 minutes for a good weapon/backpack/helmet/etc at NWAF/NEAF/StaryMilBase you just have to find a pair of those medkits or find a hospital and then you are done. I know this is alpha I really do, I'm impressed by the current state of the alpha, I'm loving it, but I find it way too easy to get geared/nourished/healthy.

I'm intrigued as of wich new systems are going to be in place to increase survival difficulty.

Thoughts? Info I might have missed about those new systems?

Kind regards

• Like 1

I agree that it's pretty easy to survive right now.  I'm not sure how they'll make it tougher, but I do know there will eventually be more zombies so that should hopefully make things a bit harder.  Can't say for sure though.  For now, you'll just have to hold tight and wait for updates.  I'm sure rocket and his team have some things in store for us.

Edited by denkart

I agree with you, the game ATM is too easy, but as you said, it's alpha.

I guess that Beta or full release will have A SHITTONE of zombies, maybe even less supplies, and higher chances of infection etc.

Currently, in 2 hours you can find enough gear and supplies to survive for days, then you can either go full PvP mode or just explore

As the title says, for the veterans like me that played the mod for like 2 years, it is very easy to survive, even for my brother who has just bought the game and never played the mod. Once you find food and drink and run like 15 minutes for a good weapon/backpack/helmet/etc at NWAF/NEAF/StaryMilBase you just have to find a pair of those medkits or find a hospital and then you are done. I know this is alpha I really do, I'm impressed by the current state of the alpha, I'm loving it, but I find it way too easy to get geared/nourished/healthy.

I'm intrigued as of wich new systems are going to be in place to increase survival difficulty.

Kind regards

There's an awful lot of stuff that's on the way - and that's just the stuff we know about. I'm sure Rocket has got plenty of plans in store that he's not told us about yet, too.

I don't think it's so much a case of 'too easy' to survive, because I could run and find an enormous stack of beans and water, run off deep into the woods on the North of the map and survive more or less indefinitely - the current problem is that there's not really enough to do to justify putting yourself in potentially dangerous situations by raiding towns/buildings to go looting. In DayZ, if you die, it's almost always because YOU made a mistake - whether it was not checking the roof of that building for a sniper or forgetting that pond water is probably not all that hygienic to drink, your survival is inextricably linked to your ability to consistently make good decisions, not what gear you have. Sure, gear can help you get out of a bad situation, but it's unlikely to stop you getting into one.

For example, let's say that hypothetically the next update introduces vehicles (it won't, as far as I know - they're quite a way off, but it's an example) - you're fully geared up, but now you've got something else to shoot for. So you start exploring towns for a car. You find one, it's going to need repairs and new parts most likely, so there's more looting runs to be doing. The more times you take that risk of going into a new town, the more chance you've got of making that one costly mistake. Maybe that mistake doesn't kill you - maybe you get away with a few wounds but nothing serious - but now you need to make sure you're healthy and that you're going to get that wound infected. Do you have medical gear? Do you have the right medical gear? The health system is going to get much more complex in future updates. More potential risky trips into towns.

Also, don't forget that zombies are very basic at the moment - in time, they'll increase dramatically in both number and behaviour.

Then there's the 'nutrition' system that's planned. A man can't (or shouldn't, at least!) live on beans and soda alone, so you'll need to find different types of food and drink to keep a balanced diet.

The amount and variety of loot will increase exponentially as well - don't forget that right now, there's only four guns in the whole game. I don't know exactly how many were in the mod, but I'd guess it's well over 50. Then you've got new clothes, items, tools... there's going to be a lot of decisions to be made over what you put in your backpack and what you have to leave behind...

So yeah, it's a bit 'easy' right now, but it's only because at such an early stage of the game the incentives to take risks aren't there yet. When those get here, they'll make things a lot more interesting - crawling through a town full of zombies, you know there's a bandit out there hunting for you and that you should turn round and go back to camp, but you saw a car wheel here earlier, and you really need it... but one wrong move and BANG! You go right back to T-shirt and torch mode. :)

• Like 5

I still don't understand where people are finding all this loot. In my games coastal towns are usually entirely clean, with sparse resources in the cities. I keep hearing Balota is OP right now. I went there and found a pair of shoes. If I go north I can usually find a motorcycle helmet, a backpack, an axe, etc. but I can never find any food other than rotten fruit (a lot of it,) and if I find canned food it always seems to be the time the game decided to give me a crowbar. The only gun I've been able to find so far was a Mosin without any ammo, and I've found many mods to the M4 but never an M4. This usually results in me moving town to town steadily northwards until I die of starvation or get player killed. The game has so far been for me much more brutal than the mod.

Edited by ArcadeusXIII

Kind regards

Stop playing on empty servers.

• Like 1

I still don't understand where people are finding all this loot. In my games coastal towns are usually entirely clean, with sparse resources in the cities. I keep hearing Balota is OP right now. I went there and found a pair of shoes. If I go north I can usually find a motorcycle helmet, a backpack, an axe, etc. but I can never find any food other than rotten fruit (a lot of it,) and if I find canned food it always seems to be the time the game decided to give me a crowbar. The only gun I've been able to find so far was a Mosin without any ammo, and I've found many mods to the M4 but never an M4. This usually results in me moving town to town steadily northwards until I die of starvation or get player killed. The game has so far been for me much more brutal than the mod.

I have had a ton of luck in Zelenogorsk.  I left there with a hiking bag completely full of food and drink last time.  Coastal towns/cities are almost always completely picked clean in my experience.

My tactic so far has been to get as far inland as I can from the very second I spawn. Unless there's something that has obviously not been touched (closed doors, zombies in area), I won't stop to check anything until I'm at least 2km inland. Ideally I'll come across a well or pond early on so I can drink a whole bunch, but it's not essential - even with this tactic, you'll have an hour or more to find a drink of some kind, and once you're away from the coastal towns, loot's much easier to come by.

• Like 2

Stop playing on empty servers.

Sorry to dissapoint you, I play with a group of +5 people and we have food/medical supplies for 15 people, bloodbags, salines, morphine, epi-pens, painkillers, antibiotics, lots of those lovely yellow boxes :), M4 for everyone except one of my guys who has the mosin with the scope+bayonet. We only play on servers with +30 people because otherwise it is BORING at the current state and we know where to loot, we know all the tricks. hell, I even have a box with 600 5.56 bullets even if the box says it has place for 300 rounds, It seems when you unload your 60 bullet magazine the stacks consist of 60 bullets instead of 30 wich leads to the box being able to hold 10 stacks of 60 bullets, we are geared to THAT point. only thing im missing is a damn acog, found like 10 all of them broken :'(

• Like 1

My tactic so far has been to get as far inland as I can from the very second I spawn. Unless there's something that has obviously not been touched (closed doors, zombies in area), I won't stop to check anything until I'm at least 2km inland. Ideally I'll come across a well or pond early on so I can drink a whole bunch, but it's not essential - even with this tactic, you'll have an hour or more to find a drink of some kind, and once you're away from the coastal towns, loot's much easier to come by.

My main problem is food. Finding a well is my first mission after spawn and water is never really a problem. The game though, seems inclined to throw piles of rotten fruit at me, which barely refill your food and make you sick, before you know it "You are Unconscious." I try to apply the general wisdom, which is "head inland search every goddamn searchable thing you see," but I just don't get very far. Don't get me wrong. I find loot. I find clothes out the hooha as well as medical supplies. Guns (not the mods) and food just evade me. While in the mod I usually find a Makarov, an Enfield, a Winchester, maybe an AK or an M16 usually before even leaving the coast. I'm just not seeing the the dip in difficult anywhere but the zombies. In the mod I've never died of starvation or thirst. In the game I've died several times already. From what I'm hearing I guess I'll just call it bad luck.

Sorry to dissapoint you, I play with a group of +5 people and we have food/medical supplies for 15 people, bloodbags, salines, morphine, epi-pens, painkillers, antibiotics, lots of those lovely yellow boxes :), M4 for everyone except one of my guys who has the mosin with the scope+bayonet. We only play on servers with +30 people because otherwise it is BORING at the current state and we know where to loot, we know all the tricks. hell, I even have a box with 600 5.56 bullets even if the box says it has place for 300 rounds, It seems when you unload your 60 bullet magazine the stacks consist of 60 bullets instead of 30 wich leads to the box being able to hold 10 stacks of 60 bullets, we are geared to THAT point. only thing im missing is a damn acog, found like 10 all of them broken :'(

Have fun after the next server wipe.

i am sorry but i do not agree for solo players, it is imposible to work out what is wrong with your avatar and what medication / blood levels are needed.

Wait until Zombies start respawning... Right now it's just a test period. Worry about difficulty once 20% of the features have actually been implemented. 

Kind regards

If you understand it´s alpha you will see that there´s little to non zombies around which will of course change over time. Just wait for couple updates and bam.

zombie hoards are coming sometime, that'll flush out the noisy campers and groups. Most vets stay quiet and lone-wolf anywayz, so not much difference for them :) 

I will, dont worry, get fully kitted in 20 minutes ;)

Yep easy to gear up if you know what to do and where to go lol.

I think it's tough between balancing the game for veterans and newcomers. Understanding how sickness / hunger works is probably the most confusing part of people who step into the game blind. Once you understand that, it is quite easy to survive. Like everyone said, the addition of zombies should make things harder. I think reducing the amount of food and med supplies when hunting / gathering comes out should make things more interesting. 

I agree with op, but ive only explored west side. 2 mil bases on way to NWAF/bash, + zelengorsk. Full kit.

From what ive heard weather will make a big change, and the addition of extra health probs, trench foot etc(running in swamp/water too much).

This will add a need for shelter thus bringing players back into close quarters but also with zombie numbers increasing + hordes, many ways to have to reveal your position in the town to others nearby.

Wells(watersource) at the moment seem 100% safe, which will change, meaning more medic runs.

The degradation on weapons doesnt seem active at all, but again, only what ive heard, player killing will degrade weapons a lil faster then zombie kills. So far its just attachments that i have to replace.

As someone above said more weapons will actually be a slight downside for how easy it is to kit. Right now u get an M4 or nagant, and if you find ammo, you have a 1/4 chance of it working for your gun. Even if you need a magazine for the pistols, the ammo itself is easy to find.

Add in 20+ more weapons, and thats 10-20 + more ammo types you can find instead of what you need.

The "loot only spawns on restart" thing while a little more realistic, i see as a almost gamebreaking problem. And NO, not because you cant just farm it. But i see a mass migration from server to servers as soon as you see a restart somewhere. The hive system makes this worse. Squads of geared players server hopping to recently restarted servers to collect as much ammo etc as they can to take back to their home server. Players who have 1-2 home servers and just play there will be heavily disadvantaged compared to "hoppers".

Loot only respawning at start does help the game feel more like it should, but will in no way add to the game unless a system is implemented to make sure that if a player loots balota on server A, that same player will find no loot in balota on any other server till his original server restarts. Otherwise the respawn factor will play no part in most peoples games and basically be a slowdown for anyone joining a server late after restart who doesnt hop.

I will, dont worry, get fully kitted in 20 minutes ;)

You know why? Because of bullshit Balota, 3 barracks, mil tents, ATC Tower, and the new barracks with a jail cell in them. I find M4's for days in there! Mags, ammo, packs, and other shit that you used to have to go to NWAF for. Stary Mil camp is gone now, and there is a Military Base right north of Kamenka! TOTAL BS! I spawned at Balota ran up to it for the first time and seen that it was a decked out military area. Got my bag, vest, helmet, medical, and got my guns (both M4 and pistol WITH mags and ammo) ran over to the town got my food and water just to basically meet "End Game" all within 8 minutes. There was nothing to do after that except to be that ass hat Bandit camper that doesn't know what the north side of the map looks like. So I dropped that shit in a random house in Cherno and ran north to do what REAL Vets do.

Edited by FoamNinja
  • Like 1

My thoughts:

These are just my preferences.  Its your game and you can play anyway you want.  Want to be a Coastal bambie killer?  Get to it!  Want to camp NW and try to snipe someone? Get to it!  Its your free time you enjoy it anyway you want.  ACCEPT DIRTY ASSHOLE PIECE OF CRAP HACKERS! and almost as Dirty pieces of crap COMBAT LOGGERS!  You can all die a horrible lonely death!

Dayz is the most fun with a group of 2.  If your playing on a server with lots of groups you'll want to kick that upto 3 or 4.  Any more than that and you just overwhelm any situation.  You can make lots of mistakes and the sheer number of players in the group usually overpowers the problem.

The health system that they have created seems genius.  So many different things going on to complicate life.  Its going to take care.Those of us that don't take the life of an imaginary survivor lightly; risk/reward is going to be paramount.  Because of the Alpha state of the game there isn't a whole lot to do. But any "veteran" Dayz player can see that as they toggle on features this game is going to be relationship ending.  Just envisioning the state of the game in 6 months a year, etc... scares me.  I'll be surviving on just hours of sleep a night.  Starting a fight with your significant other just so you can meet a few friends to loot cycle the new Military Base.  Go into work early to get a quick 45 minute run from the coast so you can meet up with someone that evening.  Watching Twitch streams all day looking for some good gameplay and maybe pick up a tip or two.

So many complications!  Damn you dev team...damn you to hell!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by HeroSchool
  • Like 1

I absolutely agree. Amusingly enough, there has been a thread complaining that it is too hard to survive for the new players.

People are never satisfied :)

I am personally all for the scarcity of food and water. It would be better if it was uncommon enough that it keeps yu busy, and somtimes it would give you a genuine reason to shoot someone. Survival of the fittest.

About the shooting part too, i would like to see rarer ammunition, and even then it has the chance to spawn only a couple of rounds in a magazine. The way i see it, people would preserve ammo for self defence in a critical situation or to defend themselves against better geared players, rather that shooting on sight like in the mod because the ammo is so abundant that you can enter 2 houses and come out with a backpack full of magazines