Phineas

Too many veterans

I get sincerely pissed of at this topic.

IMO!

The newcomers are the big issue. How often does a vet try and run up to you to kill you with his fists? Not very often, i cant deny it would happen. But still utter pointless. So many times i have bailed my mate out (and vice versa) beacause of some retard at the beach trying to get some rags of the t-shirt. FFS lost all my gear to one bambi i let go. He found an axe not to far of and snuck up on me.

Vets get the fuck away from those areas to get their gear and sort things out. In my experience atleast.

ITS THE DAMN NEWCOMERS THAT HAVETO KILL ANYTHING THAT MOVES ON THE BEACH! Sure some people camp balota etc etc. SO FOCKING WHAT???

Sure, i can be a nub mentor and guide them. Fine by me! But still stop this bitching and try and team instead. How do you think we became vets? Found our way and worked from there. We all got raped by a horse in start. CALLED A LEARNING CURVE

(Note i never read full topic.. Just pissed me off)

EDIT: 

I agree. The veterans are ruining the game for everyone else.

Anyone who has supported this game from the very beginning should be banned from ever playing dayz SO so that the nubs can safely run about smacking each other with fire axes on the coast.

PRICELESS HAHAHAH!!!
Edited by FroztyReaper

I get sincerely pissed of at this topic.

IMO!

The newcomers are the big issue. How often does a vet try and run up to you to kill you with his fists? Not very often, i cant deny it would happen. But still utter pointless. So many times i have bailed my mate out (and vice versa) beacause of some retard at the beach trying to get some rags of the t-shirt. FFS lost all my gear to one bambi i let go. He found an axe not to far of and snuck up on me.

Vets get the fuck away from those areas to get their gear and sort things out. In my experience atleast.

ITS THE DAMN NEWCOMERS THAT HAVETO KILL ANYTHING THAT MOVES ON THE BEACH! Sure some people camp balota etc etc. SO FOCKING WHAT???

Sure, i can be a nub mentor and guide them. Fine by me! But still stop this bitching and try and team instead. How do you think we became vets? Found our way and worked from there. We all got raped by a horse in start. CALLED A LEARNING CURVE

(Note i never read full topic.. Just pissed me off)

EDIT:

PRICELESS HAHAHAH!!!

I'm gonna find you buddy, and give you such a baseball bat beating, then I'm gonna steal your shirt pants and shoes, you need new players in this game moron

Can one of you vets point me in the direction of the military areas I'm new, I don't have a problem with loot food or other players but I'm lost in the bush lol. I ran off to the right of all those big apartments

I am a Warz vet so I'm not concerned with other players I know how to kill em, just don't know where I'm goin

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

The airfields normally have military loot and there are also some military bases shown on this map.

P.S. You might not want to admit that you're a "WarZ" vet around these parts.

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

The airfields normally have military loot and there are also some military bases shown on this map.

P.S. You might not want to admit that you're a "WarZ" vet around these parts.

Thank you, finally a helpful person and not a troll lol, I'll keep that in mind :)

If you use your head a little, dont you think at least to google the map?? well .. just write this in google: DayZ Standalone Chernarus+ Map - DayZDB ... you will have to understand the map. So this will boost new player happiness i guess, now that they have this epic map :D.

edit: ahh someone beat me to it, well i tried to help.

Edited by quamtraxxx

Is this a joke thread? How else are you going to get better at it until you learn how it works?

Just remember us Vets are new to it too, a lot has been change from the ground up. We just probably liked and played the mod before the hype of the SA and followed it from day dot.

Paitence is key

Is this a joke thread? How else are you going to get better at it until you learn how it works?

Just remember us Vets are new to it too, a lot has been change from the ground up. We just probably liked and played the mod before the hype of the SA and followed it from day dot.

Paitence is key

Yes, thats how I knew how to open cans and where the swamp that saved my life was.

Not to mention how to load guns and mags, puts things in my hand, use the hotbar, use the torch.

DayZ is a game that forces players to learn through dying over and over again (unless you're hella natural). I've never played the mod honestly, but I pretty much adapted nicely to it with the scavenging and whatnot.

I bought this game for the challenge it brings -- the feeling of having to watch your back, doubt everything and do what you must to survive. What's the point of getting the nerfed version of it. DayZ is meant to be tough and gritty. 

It's the kind of game where it teaches you how to swim by throwing you straight into the sea.

But yes. Maps are great.

Edited by Rivenoir

If you use your head a little, dont you think at least to google the map?? well .. just write this in google: DayZ Standalone Chernarus+ Map - DayZDB ... you will have to understand the map. So this will boost new player happiness i guess, now that they have this epic map :D.

edit: ahh someone beat me to it, well i tried to help.

Of course I googled the map, I want to know from experienced players where they would go for loot. To me I'm looking at a map with a bunch of towns I don't know what's what man. Thanx for the attempt but try to be less of a jerk in your phrasing thanx

Of course I googled the map, I want to know from experienced players where they would go for loot. To me I'm looking at a map with a bunch of towns I don't know what's what man. Thanx for the attempt but try to be less of a jerk in your phrasing thanx

Ok the "jerk" will tell you, if you use chrome, it will ask you to translate in your language so it is good to know where is cherno, elektro and other popular towns, where we go for the loot? Where barracks, tents, hangars are .. so airfields, military bases that you see on map if you zoom a bit in, i would skip Balota since it is looted by new players a lot, but you can try your luck by finding a corpse with loot there or a fresh corpse(if you know what i mean).I know there is a lot of houses to loot(in towns or villages), but you might find food and drinks inside that could save your life.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156162-new-player-mentor/

I am trying to get it going, instead of these flame fest topics maybe we can keep it civil in there.

Given that you dont know where you atm its hard to say where to go though. Military camps are good. Zelenogorsk wielded some good stuff. The new skyrise by cherno/balota had some epic garages

You can risk it at the military camps near Balota and run up to the NWAF too. 

Cherno tends to be rather risky until you at least get a fire-axe and a gun.

When I started only 2-3 month after the Dayz Mod was born, i got craped upon. By Zombies and also by Players. Everybody had a Pistol then, and you could not get out of Cherno with loot alive. 

What i am saying is this: Deal with it. Dayz ist hard. You'll figure it out and go hunting bandits someday, son ;)

I keep my hair short and stay out of big cities, that's the advice a friend gave me once. It worked out for me so far, I still havn't found Omid and Christa though.  :(

• Like 2

I played a good amount of the mod, I like to think I have a good visual understanding of the map.

But I always watch anyone I choose to approach, and usually get a pretty good read on said persons skill as a result of just watching.

By chance, if I happen to run into another player by surprise or who is armed - I make sure If I am armed to have my weapon raised and vocalize to them my intentions.

If they raise on me, they die. If they ignore me and act awkwardly, they die. If they talk in a fashion that is very repressed, they die...eventually.

On my first day I helped a person learn how to give and receive blood with a first aid kit, I helped someone learn how to use the compass and as well, I gave them a drink from my canteen, which he returned; (that shows good faith) to which I then proceeded to allow him to keep.

Everyone's different, everyone's learning.

Edited by Strongtent
  • Like 2

I am a newcomer and have more gear than a lot of veterans, your argument is invalid.

DaTrader

I played a good amount of the mod, I like to think I have a good visual understanding of the map.

But I always watch anyone I choose to approach, and usually get a pretty good read on said persons skill as a result of just watching.

By chance, if I happen to run into another player by surprise or who is armed - I make sure If I am armed to have my weapon raised and vocalize to them my intentions.

If they raise on me, they die. If they ignore me and act awkwardly, they die. If they talk in a fashion that is very repressed, they die...eventually.

On my first day I help a person learn how to give and receive blood with a first aid kit, I helped someone learn how to use the compass and as well, I gave them a drink from my canteen, which he returned; (that shows good faith) to which I then proceeded to allow him to keep.

Everyone's different, everyone's learning.

Good advice, that's how I play aswell.

snip

Hard for lone wolves? This is my gear right here... by the way, survived for like 7 hours on a fully populated server so you are literally talking out of your sphincter...

Eqf8HVU.jpg?1

Also, this sort of game thrives on whittling out the casuals. Why would they cater for the masses when that compromises very key components of the game? You are so fucking self absorbed to make this post which is essentially saying ''I find the game hard so you must make it easier for me!''. 

Bore off and play another game man.

Did you make this topic on the sole basis of frustrating me? 'cause it fucking worked...

• Like 1

"

You do NOT want to alienate newcomers.  Frame that any way you want, say I'm against pvp if it makes you feel better, but the question is far more complex.  How do you give a first timer an experience that they will want to expand on, without frustrating them?

"

you answered your own question. remember first time you played dayz mod? everything changed...

it will be the same for new comers in SA for sure, I can already see it based on the alpha.

that being said, it is frustrating because it is missing some very very KEY elements. It seems they arent doing much atm to fix them.

- simply adding more spawn points throughout the map will help spread out the play base.

- simply adding a loot timer, instead of ONLY LOOT SPAWN WHEN SERVER RESTART (insanity) will encourage exploration and that old dayz looting experience that got us addicted to the game in the first place. Also help with server hopping...and on that note, bring a penalty for hopping. but for gods sake bring a loot timer if you do that...running around on a 50 person server that has been looted already is extremely off putting.

- VEHICLE (even just 1 type of car is enough for now)

- insert maybe 3-4 more weapon types and it wll be 10x more interesting to new and old players.

the end, its that simple.

the problem a lot of people are having is coming to terms with this "alpha" concept.

I dont really think they understand what it means...

we constantly see threads going up of people bitching and whining about this and that, and while they have their right to post, its fucking annoying and gives a bad message to other newbs.

they only need to fix some very minor things and focus on some more realistic fixes, than complex medical systems and hunger/energy systems and all these wonderfully complex ideas rocket has. This will make it more playable and enjoyable to the majority of people for an Alpha stage.

IE fuck the vulnerabilities in the latest patch, you should have fixed that negative mouse acceleration garbage...come on.

hackers gonna hack, regardless of what you do. so lets work on getting the mod to a level that will entice the masses to play. (althoug the hype train did a good job of that haha)

Edited by deebz1234

@ OP

I'm a new player to dayz, I've never played the mod (although I've known about it and thought about buying it but never did). I've put something like 4-6 hours into playing normal Arma II well over a year ago (didnt like it too much). But I bought dayz SA on day one and started my dayz adventure. After playing for a couple hours around the coast, died a few times, never found anything great, only food, water, small pack, melee weapons. I decided to use my brain and come read the fourms to learn more about the game, someone posted an early map and theres talk about going north for unlooted areas. Thats all I needed.

I've suffered from none of the things you're calling a problem.

"Very difficult to find squat."

- No way, its WAY to easy. After a simple tip from a nice player I ran into, I had pistols and ammo (over many deaths) in the first 24 hours I ever played dayz. Then after reading the fourms, You only need to head north. I'm hoping for a big nerf, its just too easy to get fully armed and everything you need. I don't think I've been on a server that I havent seen many people armed to the teeth (maybe at night, but its not like I can see good to tell what all the players have).

On day 4 of learning dayz, its taking me about 30 mins to an hour to get fully geared (M4 with attachments, extra mags, med supplys, food/water), depending on how long since the last server restart. Since I started going north (on day 2) I dont think its takin me over 2 hours to get fully geared, in the worse case. It seems like theres always somewhere to loot, you just need to travel a bit.

Lone wolf (aka new players) is nigh impossible.

-  Umm, although I do die (what dayz player doesnt?) I'm not having a problem with it, I find it easyer to lone wolf since I can move slower and take my time scouting areas before I move in and i don't have anyone to worry about but myself. Area doors open? Its prob been looted or has players there, move on to next destination or find the player and wait for him to go into houses to move closer and closer to ambush him for easy loot, simple, easy.

"Zombies move through buildings great, floors matter not."

-  I was shocked the first time I saw it but once I knew, no big deal, their easy to deal with aslong as I have a melee weapon or I can just run away, easy and I trust they will be fixed in time, np.

"Veterans are harming newcomers to the game, veterans are too good at it, and newbies will be discouraged."

- Umm, is this a joke? I couldnt disagree more. I've played dayz for 35 hours since I bought it, I've never played it before. Do I fear veterans? Hell no, at the core this is just a FPS, its my aiming skills/tactics Vs theirs. I've never once (even on my first hour of play) thought "I hope this guy is new like me or I hope this is not a dayz mod vet" when running into another player. I don't care how long you've played the mod, If I shoot you, you die! If anything, I'ed rather it be a vet, If you happen to kill me, then you've tought me something. If i kill you, well then....you just got killed by a newcomer and I'm sure I've already killed my fair share of vets (I don't KOS or kill unarmed players unless they come at me). Please come kill me and make me stronger!

The hard part to this game for me is learning the map, without a compass I have a hard time getting around. I can do it, but it takes me alot longer then it should. I got lost tonight for around 1-2 hours, but then found a town with landmarks and I was able to find my position. With that said, every day its getting easyer to recognize the terrain. I'm not getting slaughtered and more often then not, the players I run into have no interest in harming me, their only worryed about me harming them.

Maybe I'm an exception to what your talking about, but I don't think so. All a player has to do it use their brain a bit and keep playing. If thats to hard for them, this is not the game for them and even holding their hand to help them learn is not going to stop them from quiting after they lose all their stuff a few times.

P.S Sorry for my grammer and any spelling mistakes, also for the long winded post. I just wanted to add the opinion of a newcomer. Great game, I'm having a blast and look forward to future development!

Yeah...

I think you should buy keys for one month at a time. After that month you should be banned for 5 years so you never learn anything or get good at the game.

Veterans do ruin the game. I hate it when someone is better than me at a game. It's just so annoying that just because they've invested more time in it they're better.

Who even invented the real life skill system? It's shitty because practice makes you better...

Guys, check your rage for just a second. The OP brings up a few valid suggestions and points. Though does seem a bit off about the "veterans ruining everything" stuff. Even if the sheer volume of angry and generally unproductive responses in this thread might lead one to that conclusion.

------------------------

Problem 1: No way for people unfamiliar with the control scheme to understand how to play without reading going to a menu within a menu within a menu and reading a set of spread sheets designed as menus.

Answer 1: Develop a small tutorial level "like the ones in arma" to help describe basic movement and interaction controls.

Comments 1: Sounds pretty good to me. Don't know why people are bitching over this like they got their epeen stuck in a vice.

Problem 2: Many game mechanics are currently hidden from view if you don't already, understand the game/developed it yourself/google searched your ass off, you will spend a long time just scratching ur head like a dumbass. Until you go search the forums or the reddit or the google.

Answer 2: Same short tutorial idea. Where it explains some of the mechanics like scavenging and hunger thirsty blood and sickness.

Comments 2: You have no right to gripe about this one after what happened with the hunger and thirst alerts at launch. It's much better game design for people to learn the basics of the mechanics in the game and not on some reddit post where you finally figure out that you have been spawning at around 30% thirsty and hunger levels.

----------------------------------------

Additional comments on no-pvp "servers", noob friendly servers, and custom servers (24/7 daylight ect.):

So, as long as the characters aren't shared between these servers and the regular ones you guys who are angry about them are playing on, why would you be mad about their existence? Are you that sadistic? OH NO PEOPLE HAVING FUN WHILE PLAYING SOMETHING EASIER THAN I AM?! WHAT A CANCER!

Like really, if that's the case. We should just outlaw all other games in the universe besides DayZ. Or better yet outlaw DayZ too and everyone can only play Multidimensional Mathematician F16 Pilot Simulator 2014.

• Like 1

>loot tables are awful

*walks to balota*

*runs around tents*

*runs around barracks*

*biggest backpack, all scopes in backpack, got all clothes, tac vest, drinks, muchos tuna, ran past 6 m4s on the floor*

time taken from spawn: five minutes

Yeah I just did this, kinda felt wrong to have all the bad ass gear straight away. It definitely needs to be addressed. The loot in Balota should be minimal, some empty clips army boots and maybe a few other things, but a new spawn shouldn't be able to leave there geared up like a god. 

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with veterans. I am a vet of DayZ and I personally find that we are needed in the game no matter what. I came across a few new players already with the questions filling Direct Chat. What do I do? Where should I go? When can I kill everyone and be a badass? I, of course, try and steer them to the Jedi ways just to see them become the Evil I try and prevent. I have succeeded in a few of these buckos but a lot see that it is easier to kill anything they see. And I am sad to say that most of these people are just kids that go to the good side. I am talking I play with 12-13 year olds sometimes because they have that Brain to be formed. I'm sad to see people that would know better in a game like this. I played with one guy and he was about 20. He killed someone and just ran over the body not even checking for loot saying "Dude that guys skull was fucked he is such a noob faggot with no skill" I left the TS in shame. For a guy like me video games are my life. I walk around with a cane and do generally nothing, females are a thing of imagination to me now my Army Days are over. All in all I like helping people new to the game, It gives me something to do. I run up north grab my gear and head to the Coast where Heroes are needed more than Batman in Gotham. However yes I hope to see a "Tutorial" or at least a single player so people that are new can learn before they get in just to get there head smashed in for no reason by some jackass wearing a PayDay 2 mask wielding a Fire Axe. We had to learn the hard way when we got in, and in a small sense we are noobs again with the new system. Loot is rare, food can rot, water needs purifying, ammo is scarce, blood bags are not just willy nilly at hospitals, and many more things to be named and found out. Hell we barely know what rope and sticks are used for. In the mod we were handed these things like it was grass all around us. 

Also Phineas is correct, a "Nerf Camp" would be amazing. The Arma world is cruel and unforgiving. Space bar raises your weapon/fist etc. Most games it's as simple as JUMP. To jump here is sprint and press v at the right time hoping it doesn't bug out. Double tap W to sprint when it's usually Shift. And we can't forget about the F Keys. Some dude walks up to you and says put your hands up and you don't even know that part of the game? Yeah there needs to be a tutorial or some NO PVP FF OFF servers for these guys with some helpful dudes like me or some others like me wondering around teaching them tricks of the trade (<--- that may a bit too far but hey teaching these guys about heroism before hand is better than 1000s of more bandits coming in).