Sign in to follow this  
Mao Zedong

Why is everyone so worried about killing on sight?

*sigh* I kill, but I don't Kill On Sight. I even kill unaware people who are not trying to kill me actively at the moment. It is still retarded to give away your position with a gunshot just to shoot someone for the lolz. 

No, they are not evil for playing COD/BF/Quake/Unreal they are just a little slow not realizing it's actually fun to not play DayZ like every other game out there. :)

""

Even you admit you shoot unaware people on sight.. ! And no , it's not retarded, if you're good. If people know where I'm at, great! I love a fight. Back in the mod, i'm constantly telling people of my groups location over side so people will try to come kill us. It brings action , which can be far and sparse in the northern part of the map. I hate the south.

"

Nope... just the "I drink their salty tears". people, because that is very likely why they act that way. 

"

They're kidding, chill. Remember this IS a video game. I only find it funny when someone rages and throws a tantrum. However, if they said "good food," "good match" etc, I sometimes ask them if they want to team up (yes even after killing them) .. It has nothing to do with being a crazy sociopath, it has to do with kids raging.

EDIT: quote boxes aren't showing up.

Edited by Mao Zedong

Well I definitely don't get a warm feeling in a video game. Lmfao.. You need to chill with the whole sociopath/evil stuff.. this a video game people. A video game with guns. Does that make every cod, bf, (or any pvp game) player evil? Lol..  that logic xD

^ This. I like to call those who don't kill Boy Scouts on dayz. (copywrite pending!) .. let's sit around and do jack squat. Sounds fun.

You act like... If we cram as much killing in that will make the game more fun... why not play COD if you have a 20 second attention span? You see what Rocket has been adding? You see what kind of the community he favours? You don't know what dayZ is.

You act like... If we cram as much killing in that will make the game more fun... why not play COD if you have a 20 second attention span? You see what Rocket has been adding? You see what kind of the community he favours? You don't know what dayZ is.

The thing is, killing someone is dayz goes waaay beyong a 20 second attention span. If you're at the coast, maybe only 20 seconds, but try going north. It could be hours before you actually see someone... Hours without action.. and you're just gunna let them go? How are you going to tell me I don't know what dayz is? It's a sandbox. There is no purpose, end goal, winner/lose, point to the game. YOU clearly don't know what it is. He added those features most likely because there IS a large player base that doesn't want to KoS. Which i'm fine with, I don't complain about their play-style, don't complain about mine.

""

Even you admit you shoot unaware people on sight.. ! And no , it's not retarded, if you're good. If people know where I'm at, great! I love a fight. Back in the mod, i'm constantly telling people of my groups location over side so people will try to come kill us. It brings action , which can be far and sparse in the northern part of the map. I hate the south.

"

"

They're kidding, chill. Remember this IS a video game. I only find it funny when someone rages and throws a tantrum. However, if they said "good food," "good match" etc, I sometimes ask them if they want to team up (yes even after killing them) .. It has nothing to do with being a crazy sociopath, it has to do with kids raging.

EDIT: quote boxes aren't showing up.

I have never once Killed On Sight. I have however killed. There is a HUGE difference between the two things. 

• Like 1

The thing is, killing someone is dayz goes waaay beyong a 20 second attention span. If you're at the coast, maybe only 20 seconds, but try going north. It could be hours before you actually see someone... Hours without action.. and you're just gunna let them go? How are you going to tell me I don't know what dayz is? It's a sandbox. There is no purpose, end goal, winner/lose, point to the game. YOU clearly don't know what it is. He added those features most likely because there IS a large player base that doesn't want to KoS. Which i'm fine with, I don't complain about their play-style, don't complain about mine.

Yes, but sandbox doesn't mean, "Let's sculpt a really big dick then giggle like we are 12." to everyone. I mean there are those people. KOS is akin to that. Killing is not, but KOS is. We you figure out the difference between the two you will understand why I dislike KOS.

Edited by Mercules
  • Like 1

I have never once Killed On Sight. I have however killed. There is a HUGE difference between the two things. 

If you're talking about killing on sight being a mindless kill everything you see, I highly doubt that actually happens anywhere except the coast. Most likely when people don't have gear. So leave the coast. I kill everyone I can up north (is that considered kos?) but I do take time to think about how I'm going to do it. Maybe we should clearify what "KoS" is, but if I see you, I'm trying to kill you at some point. 

Yes, but sandbox doesn't mean, "Let's sculpt a really big dick then giggle like we are 12." to everyone. I mean there are those people. KOS is akin to that. Killing is not, but KOS is. We you figure out the difference between the two you will understand why I dislike KOS.

Sculpt big dicks? What are you on about? Read about about clearifying KoS.. but if you mean 100% true killing on sight with no thought, that doesn't happen up north. And if that is the KoS definition you're talking about, leave the coast. 

You think I've never gone North, that was the first thing I did in the Standalone.

Over 6 hours I saw 3 people up there, didn't try shoot one of them just because I have an aware mind and can put myself in others shoes.

I know I would hate being struck down by someone without the guts to try and say hello or the common sense to let me pass.

In the mod I had a damn good group camp and we literally played for weeks at a time and might see one person.

In our interactions we helped two new spawns and helped him fix a car, another guy we were going to pick up but decided to stand in a line and all shoot him at the same time then admins came after us and we killed them and stole their ural before getting banned :\

If you don't want to be KoS'd, then don't be seen. YES, that means actually leaving elektro/cherno/balota/THE COAST... Oh, and you should probably avoid NWAF and the military camps. Just go be a boyscout and do nothing in dayz. Sit around building campfires... killing the occasional zombie. How does that should like fun? Seriously, zombies are not a threat in this game whatsoever. If you don't want to kos, then don't , but you can't expect everyone to form to your play-style. Playing boy-scout simulator is god awful boring.

If that's what you do why don't you play ArmA 2? More guns, more maps, more killz, and vehicles

If you think it is the norm to shoot at people in dayZ you haven't played the game properly and in my book aren't a proper fan.

Ill keep that in mind when i see you in the server and kos. 

You think I've never gone North, that was the first thing I did in the Standalone.

Over 6 hours I saw 3 people up there, didn't try shoot one of them just because I have an aware mind and can put myself in others shoes.

I know I would hate being struck down by someone without the guts to try and say hello or the common sense to let me pass.

In the mod I had a damn good group camp and we literally played for weeks at a time and might see one person.

In our interactions we helped two new spawns and helped him fix a car, another guy we were going to pick up but decided to stand in a line and all shoot him at the same time then admins came after us and we killed them and stole their ural before getting banned :\

If that's how you have fun, helping people, etc, great!! I'm not stopping you! Personally, if i'm up north, i LIKE being shot at (so long as i don't die) it scares the shit out of many, and it's some intense action. If i die, I lose a lot of gear and a lot of time making it up north.

If that's what you do why don't you play ArmA 2? More guns, more maps, more killz, and vehicles

Problem with arma 2 is it's just like cod/bf/etc. You don't really lose anything if you die.. I like the feeling that if i lose a fight, i lose everything. I don't like tons of vehicles, rocket launchers etc. I like the dayz theme of weapons, scarcity etc. Arma 2 is just warfare. The zombies also make pvp SUPER interesting.

If you're talking about killing on sight being a mindless kill everything you see, I highly doubt that actually happens anywhere except the coast. Most likely when people don't have gear. So leave the coast. I kill everyone I can up north (is that considered kos?) but I do take time to think about how I'm going to do it. Maybe we should clearify what "KoS" is, but if I see you, I'm trying to kill you at some point. 

Sculpt big dicks? What are you on about? Read about about clearifying KoS.. but if you mean 100% true killing on sight with no thought, that doesn't happen up north. And if that is the KoS definition you're talking about, leave the coast. 

Yes, it does happen up-north. It happens nearly everywhere. It's like this clip only with BANG following "squirrel". I have watching it in the Mod where a guy surrounded by zombies that were not attacking him and not knowing other players are about decided shooting some other guy at the other end of the airfield with CCO rifle was a grand idea. Since I was fairly certain I also had players about I hadn't seen I didn't help the other guy out by putting a bullet in the guy spraying down field and being swarmed by zombies. I just backed away slowly. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUXXzN26zg

If that's how you have fun, helping people, etc, great!! I'm not stopping you! Personally, if i'm up north, i LIKE being shot at (so long as i don't die) it scares the shit out of many, and it's some intense action. If i die, I lose a lot of gear and a lot of time making it up north.

Problem with arma 2 is it's just like cod/bf/etc. You don't really lose anything if you die.. I like the feeling that if i lose a fight, i lose everything. I don't like tons of vehicles, rocket launchers etc. I like the dayz theme of weapons, scarcity etc. Arma 2 is just warfare. The zombies also make pvp SUPER interesting.

Yes, but you probably also are not sprinting to the nearest military spawn, grabbing a gun and then going out to find someone to shoot on purpose without concerning yourself about food or drink. We already have thos KOS players trying to play the game not like DayZ but like Quake without starting guns. ;) THAT is what I hate. I don't want killing taken out of the game, I really don't. What I want to see happening is making randomly blasting someone a bad idea. If the zombies are challenging enough that you don't want to draw a horde onto yourself from firing a gun, that would be awesome. If you don't want to risk shooting some random harmless player because death actually means something, that would be awesome. I want people to at least consider if shooting someone is a good thing or not. Right now with the state of the game even for someone who in the Mod let countless people pass right by I don't see much of a reason to do so in the SA. 

Mao Zedong is right. This is a sand box game so judging his actions and telling him he is wrong is pointless. If Rocket and the dayz team want to change the way players interact with another, they need to give us a reason. At the moment, there is no reason to be friendly. Zombies are not a threat and nothing in the game supports teaming up with someone. Rocket needs to creatively create an incentive for me to want to keep you alive. My suggestions would be either make zombies more valuable to kill, or make world events that people will fight over and the reward is gear for you and your friends.

Quit trying to act like this is some kind of RP game, because at the moment, even in the mod, you don't NEED anyone else to survive.

Edited by Dgenerate

If you don't want to be KoS'd, then don't be seen. YES, that means actually leaving elektro/cherno/balota/THE COAST... Oh, and you should probably avoid NWAF and the military camps. Just go be a boyscout and do nothing in dayz. Sit around building campfires... killing the occasional zombie. How does that should like fun? Seriously, zombies are not a threat in this game whatsoever. If you don't want to kos, then don't , but you can't expect everyone to form to your play-style. Playing boy-scout simulator is god awful boring.

Same thing applies to you. "you can't expect everyone to form to your play-style" . KoS is god awful boring in a sandbox game with lots of possibilities. Besides, we're now in early alpha, so we should try and test features then provide positive feedback so we can help out shape the game and help the devs. Honestly, if you only play DayZ to kill people, you missed the point.

This.  I've came across probably 20 people by now since SA launched.  Every single one of them has either lit me the fuck up(Even if I do the surrender emote), ran at me punching me just to grief/annoy, one asshole chased me for like a mile with an axe just because I didn't feel like trying to fight him with my axe.  It seems like most people playing now are just pure assholes.

Why the fuck are you running up to random people and surrendering? You should never confront somebody without first taking control of the situation.

Same thing applies to you. "you can't expect everyone to form to your play-style" . KoS is god awful boring in a sandbox game with lots of possibilities. Besides, we're now in early alpha, so we should try and test features then provide positive feedback so we can help out shape the game and help the devs. Honestly, if you only play DayZ to kill people, you missed the point.

Killing players for loot is a viable playstyle. They need to expand on the current non-lethal banditry options (handcuffs) in order to make that a more viable alternative. But that doesn't mean KOS players are doing something "wrong". Just as it might be unrealistic for people to run around shooting first for no reason, its also unrealistic to think that the post-apocalyptic world would be this friendly carebear place where you can just waltz up to random armed men and ask them to be friends with you and share their medicine.

The entire point of DayZ is that players are free to play their own way. You cannot restrict behavior in that kind of a setting, nor can you convince everyone to do something that isn't in their interest by checking to see if every stranger is friendly before shooting. They should add more non-lethal ways of disabling players to let you rob or approach them safely. Expanding gameplay features is how you incentivize different playstyles.

Edited by ClassyPenguin

I think it would be cool to have tasers or stun guns laying around in police stations to add to the non lethal methods...or maybe pepper spray for when someone comes running at you with a melee weapon...that would be awesome. Then you could force feed someone the pepper spray...give them the runs and ruin their pants haha.

I really haven't had an issue with KOS. Most players that  I have run into either just ran away in fear...or they were friendly and we chatted for a little bit. I've had the occasional idiot that comes running at me with his fists out, but I just pop them in the face with my shovel and move on. I'm sure its out there but I don't think its a problem. I love the tension of not knowing whether this guy plans to kill me or work with me. Always watching my back and keeping my distance but helping each other at the same time. I never approach other players without making contact first. I don't give away my position I just speak and judge from there.

Killing players for loot is a viable playstyle. They need to expand on the current non-lethal banditry options (handcuffs) in order to make that a more viable alternative. But that doesn't mean KOS players are doing something "wrong". Just as it might be unrealistic for people to run around shooting first for no reason, its also unrealistic to think that the post-apocalyptic world would be this friendly carebear place where you can just waltz up to random armed men and ask them to be friends with you and share their medicine.

The entire point of DayZ is that players are free to play their own way. You cannot restrict behavior in that kind of a setting, nor can you convince everyone to do something that isn't in their interest by checking to see if every stranger is friendly before shooting. They should add more non-lethal ways of disabling players to let you rob or approach them safely. Expanding gameplay features is how you incentivize different playstyles.

That's exactly my point. What I'm saying is that I often hear players saying that they just grab some combat gear and go kill players for fun, like in any FPS focused mainly on combat (BF, CoD, MoH,etc.) and that there's nothing else to do. That's the problem here. There's no "correct" way of playing DayZ, I've been playing the mods since they came out, but saying that there should only be this type of play or this type is wrong. To each his own to play a sandbox game, just don't try and force a certain playstyle on others.

On a side note, I highly doubt intelligent beings in an apocalypse scenario would kill each other for their "loot". To survive alone for another day? When it's mankind vs zombies, or aliens, or whatever, there would surely be some occasional crazies going around killing other survivors, but most remnants of humanity would try and unite to save the race. The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few. Then again, our society never faced a real apocalypse, so it's just speculations and theories.

Respect.

Killing players for loot is a viable playstyle.

Bullets now damage the items a player is carrying.  So intimidating a player into putting his stuff down is viable, but outright killing for loot isn't, by design.

Now killing on sight detection is a viable playstyle to keep your loot, and very logical.  Besides the pay off is the encounter, not the loot.  Confrontation in Dayz is so much more intense then a kill every 20 seconds fps.  And that's the reward.

• Like 1