KrebsCast

Make Zeds investigate when audio-detected

I just had an idea when I heard some people complaining that zombies were detecting them beyond walls. Rather than Zed's knowing exactly where somebody is inside a building (especially multi-story ones) when they're detected by audio, why not make it so zeds investigate the general area of origin where the audio came from? That way people could maneuver their way out of buildings.

You could also expand it to outdoor occasions like when gun shots go off. Zombies could head in the general direction but not go to the exact spot it occurred.

Zombies that don't automatically charge in when they hear noises? Makes sense. Beloozero seal of approval.

That would be cool, slow walking zombies investigating noises until they detect somebody in the same way they do now and charging in. Very Dawn of the Dead.

don't zombies already do this?

when i get confronted by zombies they walk towards me when they hear sounds.

followed by charging if they come to close.

We all have strong ideas and high hopes for a mod that is still admittedly in alpha. I am with you in this issue, though, that zeds need a wider range of responses to seeing things and hearing things.

It is understandable that presently they are fairly digital, given that it is basically a labor of spare time love from rocket that we even have this mod.

don't zombies already do this?

when i get confronted by zombies they walk towards me when they hear sounds.

followed by charging if they come to close.

They are rather limited in that when annoyed, they just want to kill you. Whatever happened to apathetic or disinterested zeds? I see those all the time where I work...

I totally agree with you, KrebsCast. In fact I searched forum, because I wanted to post this suggestion on my own. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that's a good idea.

I find it really annoying, when I pull Infected that doesn't actually see me and he knows exactly where I am. It's just unrealistic. There are other creatures except humans that make noises so Infected shouldn't simply charge whenever they hear something. Investigating would make it more fun and less frustrating in my opinion.

wanted to post this actually, would make sense, but first they'd need to fix zombies phasing through walls entirely

+1

This would definitely make a huge, positive impact on gameplay as far as I'm concerned. If it's presently implemented in some form, it needs to be exaggerated; it feels like they're homing-zeds.

+1

But I do believe that Rocket is already trying this.

I do like how the zombie's heads seem to follow me if I make too much noise, even walk towards me more. Thankfully, they don't always zip to me if I crawl too much.

(Personally, I think crouch walking should make less noise than crawling, but be easier to see.)

Glad to see so many people like the idea. It just makes more sense that zeds should be more human in nature (although they're not human!): investigating origins of player locations.

I believe Rocket made it so that zeds will investigate a player's where-abouts when they lose sight of them but it would be great to expand it into audio aswell going in the general direction and not necessarily to the direct location

+1!

I think rocket stated somewhere that this was very performance demanding which is a shame since it would add a lot to gameplay. I really really hope it can be implemented.

My biggest wish by far is that a gunshot will attract Z attention at a far range to make camping harder and more risky and diversions easier.

This does make sense. Zeds might investigate but they shouldnt zero in on you like a frigging cruise missile just because you snap a twig.