Sign in to follow this  
kragz

Why are people complaining about KOS like it's a feature issue?

Me and my pal was just chilling in balota for some hours helping out random players with food/water/ammo. We both were armed with M4s. 1 out of 20 players tried to kill me with a wrench. He tasted my bullets. 

I love when people refer dayz to cod in terms of kos. Those are completely two different games. Of course you are going to kos in cod. It's the objective. It had nothing to do with the fact that kos is happening in Dayz. Stop being dumb.

I love when people refer dayz to cod in terms of kos. Those are completely two different games. Of course you are going to kos in cod. It's the objective. It had nothing to do with the fact that kos is happening in Dayz. Stop being dumb.

Kill On Sight <- read that

There are tons of reasons to kill people in DayZ. There are almost none to simply shoot at someone because you spotted them. ;)

• Like 1

Kill On Sight <- read that

There are tons of reasons to kill people in DayZ. There are almost none to simply shoot at someone because you spotted them. ;)

Oh I agree however i am totally in favor of the player option to do so. Even new spawns can be valuable to kill for their shirts to make rags. I'm just saying stop comparing dayz to cod. It doesn't make sense. Edited by Dgenerate

Hey guys want to know a really big f*cking secret?

Its a video game. 

and I like to shoot things in video games. 

Want to know and even better kept secret? There are hundreds of games built JUST FOR SHOOTING THINGS. Any one of them will do for that. But lets take a game not built specifically for shooting at things and try and square peg a round hole with it because you can't go play the hundreds built for your special needs. ;)

It be cool if killing players had a psychological effect on your character, like hearing/seeing things.

Not really.  This has been something that has been suggested for well over a year and has been shot down every time.  Except for things like eating rotten foods that cause your character's vision to screw up, Rocket doesn't want things like killing a player to affect the character.  He wants it to affect you, the player.

I wouldn't mind if someone killed me for an actual reason, the shit that bothers me is when someone with a melee weapon charges me (who barely has any gear) and we fight until one of us drops. In that situation, there is no possible way unless the other guy is afk that you will get out of it without taking several hits yourself. Even if you win, you will have lost such a staggering amount of blood that your character is going to be nearly dead. In terms of gambling it's like saying "Ok, I can bet $1000 and I have a 25% chance of winning $500 (net loss), a 20% chance of winning $1000 (no gain), a 5% chance of winning $1500, and a 50% chance of losing everything" and then thinking "That seems like good odds."

When I've got a ballistic helmet and an M4 with a mountain backpack filled with food, yeah, I pretty much expect anyone who sees me to take a shot at me. That makes sense. But I've been killed by and had to kill several guys now who just charge me with a wrench. One of the times a guy came at me with a fire extinguisher when I had an M4. It was like why? I had a massive surplus of food and 5 canteens. I would have left some on the floor for him and parted ways. If I was in that situation, I would have ran, and if cornered I would have tried to talk my way out of it. Aggressively charging at me from down the road? That's several steps removed from anything remotely resembling intelligence.

KoS doesn't bother me when it's logical, what bothers me is the "hurr durr I'm attacking because it's a vidyer gaem mentality." It's not like we can really change it, people who are stupid can't help but be stupid. I honestly think that even if you put in major punishment for KoS (which I would be against, since it's not in the spirit of the game) that you would find that people would still do it just because. I'd love to see the mentality go away, but it won't happen as long as idiots exist, and damn are there a lot of them.

KoS doesn't bother me when it's logical, what bothers me is the "hurr durr I'm attacking because it's a vidyer gaem mentality." 

Killing on Sight is never logical. Killing other players often is but KOS means "Kill On Sight" which is very much that guy charging you with a fire extinguisher. It just doesn't make sense to spot a person and kill them. I am against KOS but not against player killing. I just think there should be more to killing another player than, "Because". 

Well, i have felt KoS a lot less now in the standalone, than it was at the end of the mod. I feel as though people did kill on sight from a lack of patience, overall boredom.

But now the standalone is new, people are having to learn all the new things again, the game is no longer boring. But a new experience.

They do not feel the need to kill on sight as it vary rarely benefits either party, when you weigh up all the pros and cons.

My personal approach is to kill if i feel i'm at risk, but other than that remain friendly.

As for having a physiological affect on my character, i feel it myself, i'd hate to have the blood of an innocent fresh spawn on my hands. It's human nature.

KoS is a part of call-of-duty-deathmacth gameplay and is brought to DayZ by cod-kiddies. Extreme survival situation is not about running around gunning everyone. Not trying to offend but that's true.

Not really. KoS is part of a FFA PvP ruleset. It's just a case of taking the good with the bad. You can't have a immersive survival experience without a FFA PvP ruleset. Rocket knows this, and won't change it, though he may add consequences for choices. IMO it shouldn't be overanalyzed, simply go with a reds and blues type of system, award more benefits to a blue playstyle (the reward of wanton slaughter is often enough for the people that go red in these types of games :)).

Punishing players for killing other players would be a really bad idea.

Even if the player is playing how you would think to be wrong it doesn't matter what you think, it's that players choice.

People complaining about others who kill them "stupidly" or "i had nothing, and they still killed me ruthlessly"... it doesn't matter what you think about him or if what he did was stupid or not, its not up to you to say what he can and can't do.

Maybe the actual player is actively playing a role of a crazy dude in game that has not had any human contact in years except for zombies, and my point being, if he likes to play that "role", if that's what he has most fun doing, then that's his choice.

Edited by Gumzz

Want to know and even better kept secret? There are hundreds of games built JUST FOR SHOOTING THINGS. Any one of them will do for that. But lets take a game not built specifically for shooting at things and try and square peg a round hole with it because you can't go play the hundreds built for your special needs. ;)

Want to know an even greater secret?  Those games you speak of don't have the same Player vs Area (PvE & PvP) as this game.  I have to worry about Zombies, eating, drinking, sickness, AND players.  It creates situations where you have to think beyond the ability of just shooting at another player.

Do I have gear that would allow me to engage that player?

Do I have the tactical advantage to allow me to get the drop on that player?

If i'm well geared, but have low health, is it worth it for me to engage that player based on my current location/situation?

Does that player have friends around?

Does the player show that he has situational awareness?

So many things go into playing DayZ and hunting other players than just running around and shooting someone.  Think big picture, not small picture.

Killing on Sight is never logical.

It's always logical. What good are you to me? Nothing. Your presence, as a stranger, is nothing but a liability. I don't know you, I don't trust you, and I don't want you around. You are an unknown variable and therefore a threat. Removing you from the vicinity therefore makes me safer, and the most efficient way to do that is to open your skull like a rotten watermelon.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 3

Can i drink tears in bf4? NO

Can I drink tears in dayz? yup

In honesty I'm pretty friendly guy, i only kill like 60% of the people I see, and in terms of dayz thats pretty good. 

Me and my pal was just chilling in balota for some hours helping out random players with food/water/ammo. We both were armed with M4s. 1 out of 20 players tried to kill me with a wrench. He tasted my bullets. 

About an hour ago I was in balota, and I saw two guys chilling with m4s walking inland, 

I snuck up to one of them and stuck my crowbar in his head, he turned around and tried to shoot me but I dodged all of his bullets. His friend, wise as he his, decides to spray a whole m4 clip kind of forgetting his friend was infront of me. He filled his friend up with at least 10 bullets. 

I died in the process but I was laughing so hard. 

• Like 1

no bandits, no game

I am not a bandit, I actually never KOS, but thank you guys who do. They enjoy that, I enjoy the danger that it brings to the game.

They should make a non multi player version of the game for those who do not enjoy the tension of the game at its best.

Can i drink tears in bf4? NO

Can I drink tears in dayz? yup 

Ah, I see... you need self-worth and try and fill it by making others feel bad. Issue explained. 

no bandits, no game

I am not a bandit, I actually never KOS, but thank you guys who do. They enjoy that, I enjoy the danger that it brings to the game.

They should make a non multi player version of the game for those who do not enjoy the tension of the game at its best.

*sigh*

Kill On Sight =/= Killing. 

Kill on Sight is literally killing everyone you see for no apparent reason. I have nothing against banditry or killing. I kill people myself. However, there is a subset of people who spot a player and start blasting when there is no benefit to doing so and probably some downfalls. That is KoS, not Bandits. :)

• Like 1

Ah, I see... you need self-worth and try and fill it by making others feel bad. Issue explained. 

People can be dicks in real life, expect the same people in a game which rewards you for killing and/or avoiding people you don't know.

It's always logical. What good are you to me? Nothing. Your presence, as a stranger, is nothing but a liability. I don't know you, I don't trust you, and I don't want you around. You are an unknown variable and therefore a threat. Removing you from the vicinity therefore makes me safer, and the most efficient way to do that is to open your skull like a rotten watermelon.

Perhaps when contact is made. I know that I've had some occasions where I opened a door to a house right as another player opened the rear door which led to an immediate close quarters scenario. In that situation I had my gun out already and he had his on his back, so I took the shot that I had.

If the other person does not have awareness of your existence, taking them out creates new risk where there wasn't one. That doesn't mean that you don't weigh the pros and cons. You might need to loot that village, and simply leaving to another town might not be feasible given your current supplies. But the thing is, engaging another player in combat always carries risk. Even shooting at that guy with the axe might come back to bite you in the ass if he manages to get away and flank you in an urban area. The point I'm getting at is that in the interest of "removing a threat" to make yourself safer, you have made the target aware of your presence and possibly even alerted others to your presence that you did not know existed. KoS will not make you safer or prolong your life. KoS drastically increases the likelihood that you, yourself, will be killed, because it exposes you to a new risk that you willingly created

By all means, there are times where it makes sense to kill another player, but killing every player you see will lead to you dying more often than simply avoiding them will.

• Like 1

It's up to people how they play. Generally, I don't go head hunting and I might even help other people, but if I see a guy with a gun while I'm standing behind him an axe in my hand....it's tempting. You don't know if the guy will shoot you in the head if you just say Hi. Teaming up is nice but very risky. In extreme survival situation you will want to secure your own ass first. That said, running and gunning is a quick way to make your location known and that's not good at all. At the moment I'm fully geared with m4 and loads of ammo. I have food and drinks for an army. And a can opener! I will shoot anyone who looks even a litlle suspicious without warning.

If/when the KoS deterrent comes, I hope that it will be some kind of item destruction system. I don't want to wear rags on my head nor do I want a big, flashy arrow on top of my head saying "PK".

There already is sort of a deterrent.   I ran past a sand bunker a couple of guys were hiding in at Balota airfield, I had switched to my axe incase a zombie that was near ran up to me.  They killed me, I respawned just south of Balota, my buddy killed them before I got back there and I looted my corpse.  They shot me in the chest and legs, my worn pants and pristine jacket were ruined as well as anything in the pockets  (some ammo, bandages, and a can opener).

But, I also think they were sitting there trying to kill anyone who ran by.

EDIT:  Yes, I was unaware they were there, I saw the zombie and went for my axe, my friend already ran past so I figured the area was clear.  Big mistake, if I spawned someplace else.

Edited by ThePieKing

Perhaps when contact is made. I know that I've had some occasions where I opened a door to a house right as another player opened the rear door which led to an immediate close quarters scenario. In that situation I had my gun out already and he had his on his back, so I took the shot that I had.

If the other person does not have awareness of your existence, taking them out creates new risk where there wasn't one. That doesn't mean that you don't weigh the pros and cons. You might need to loot that village, and simply leaving to another town might not be feasible given your current supplies. But the thing is, engaging another player in combat always carries risk. Even shooting at that guy with the axe might come back to bite you in the ass if he manages to get away and flank you in an urban area. The point I'm getting at is that in the interest of "removing a threat" to make yourself safer, you have made the target aware of your presence and possibly even alerted others to your presence that you did not know existed. KoS will not make you safer or prolong your life. KoS drastically increases the likelihood that you, yourself, will be killed, because it exposes you to a new risk that you willingly created

By all means, there are times where it makes sense to kill another player, but killing every player you see will lead to you dying more often than simply avoiding them will.

...and this is the point I am trying to make. Killing =/= Killing On Sight. Killing on Sight is literally spotting someone and shooting them. More times than not it is going to be a dumb move. Other survivors will hear you and avoid or come to your location. You might damage the very gear you were looking to loot from the corpse. 

Now if you are killing people you see just to be an ass, well you are an ass, enjoy life.

hmm, i must be the only one not giving a SHIT about KoS and instead im running around looking for bugs/glitches and you know, testing in  general?

hmm, i must be the only one not giving a SHIT about KoS and instead im running around looking for bugs/glitches and you know, testing in  general?

Oddly enough bugs can crop up from shooting at people. ;)