Madscripter

DayZ UI / HUD Photoshoped *UPDATED*

It looks good, but it doesn' have that DayZ feel it needs. To stylish, needs more simplicity.

It looks good, but it doesn' have that DayZ feel it needs. To stylish, needs more simplicity.

Have a look at this :)

Inventory system (second version)

mw6t.png

Not everyone likes the idea of having a too styled UI.

I agree. the whole idea with dayz is the simplicity of things.

Minimalistic interface.

I made this second version, I believe it's abit more polished than the one the game currently has.

Not much changed from dayz version to this when you look at functions, except for: Glass design (Transparent), colored notifications, quickslots, kills/status, and the hunger/thrist/bleeding/such notifications that are already in the game. just colorized here.

Added a new version of the inventory, A more clean one. thoughts? :blush:

Edited by Madscripter
  • Like 4

Tbh im not a fan of the effects of the UI but i like the stats showing Kills ect. The Blood, Thirst and Hunger bars are a no go for me its about realisum for me. Having this completely destroys the idea of "Dean's" idea of having gestures to show pain, hunger ect.

The main menu again not a fan of the effects but i would like it to show the stats of the "PLAY" server and have player stats somewhere on there.

Overall a realize you put alot of time onto this thread good on your behalf for that. But i just like the cleanliness of the current UI

AJ

I see DayZ Like this. My ideas in pictures, for a better game:

The inventory system

deim.png

OR , The second version (With some deocrations on the right side, backpack/M16)

LINK: http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8786/d136.png

1) I know that in current stage, where theres a lack of game content graphic is not important.

But a game is game. and graphic is a must. and I see how lost Dean is with how to show the player what's going on with his character

At first we had no notifications, was based on Sounds, then it was in the chat, and then he added the notifications of Thirst/Hunger/Bleeding to the Inventory/My character mirror.

I don't really support showing bars in the inventory like I designed it, but I think it might be a good idea. (The notifications as they are by the character are very nice anyway)

2) The show equipment button would allow you to hide/show the equipment you're wearing (hiding it will show you the character as it shows right now in the game, allowing you to rotate and stuff)

Inventory system (second version)

mw6t.png

Not everyone likes the idea of having a too styled UI.

I agree. the whole idea with dayz is the simplicity of things.

Minimalistic interface.

I made this second version, I believe it's abit more polished than the one the game currently has.

Not much changed from dayz version to this when you look at functions, except for: Glass design (Transparent), colored notifications, quickslots, kills/status, and the hunger/thrist/bleeding/such notifications that are already in the game. just colorized here.

The Main menu:

c3wc.png

1) Continue: will continue your character story on the last server that you played on (They already have that right now), while hovering on it it shows up with the Players and the current server Time in a fast tooltip.

2) Survivor Stats: Showing your survivor's name and latest session statistics (the total play time, number of each kills).

3) Changed the first two buttons to Continue and My Survivor.

In the next few days I'm going to upload & add more ideas that I made to this thread.

The wall of text bellow will be more justified as I add more screenshots soon.

The ideas here are not neccesarily have to be in the game, My goal is applying to the Art department, and this is an overall "Showoff" (sorry, don't want to sound like a douche!) of my skills and what I can do for this game.

I'm also aware that this is Alpha. What i'm uploading is ideas for the future. I never said add it now or the exact thing, just lure ideas from it.

Who am I:

My name is Eddie. served as a graphic designer for the Military for 3 years with 8 years of photoshop experience (Yes, the military needs art, heh).

Nowdays I work on my own 2D game called Gang UP (check it out if you're interested). The art in the game and the website is made by me.

Note that this is not an attemp to promote my game, I chose a nice picture packed with photoshop work.

So any moderator who see this, if there's a problem i'll remove all the following lines and pictures. just contact me first , please.

o9vw.jpg

More examples:

http://www.playgangup.com/images/media/screenshots/ingame/1483918_1443342395887169_2130655571_o.jpg

http://www.playgangup.com/images/media/screenshots/ingame/newbackgrounds.jpg

http://www.playgangup.com/images/media/screenshots/global/mrwho.png

Why am I doing this?

I tried to contact the developers of DayZ about applying to the art department, many times - and never got an answer.

The way I see it, the HUD and UI in DayZ looks bad. I believe I can make it better.

I know they're all placeholders from the Alpha - but for a graphic designer who loves what he's doing, it's easier to produce a good looking work rather then a bad one regardless to what state the project is in. (It really is)

You may see this as a public attemp to contact Dean Hall through the General Forum, since Emailing Bohemia Interactive never worked and he's forum inbox is disabled.

2D Art , UI , HUD Graphic designer & Web developer:

That's what I do for living. I have 15 live websites of customers I serve, and a portfolio of thousands of work.

I don't know if they already have 2D Art UI/HUD designers, but I know one thing for sure: I can make dayz look better.

there is much to work on, and if you guys help me and this thread gets bigger, it might make it's way to one of the developers, or Rocket.

I've made a forum thread like this an year ago.

When The War Z came out, I created about 20 photoshoped screenshots of the game with new ideas.

I uploaded everything to the forums and I've reached 100k views and thousands of positive replies.

Why? Because I wanted to be a developer, and I wanted to help.

I've caught the attention of all the game developers (5 of them, including the lead producer) and they all had commented and monitored my thread.

Eventually, everything was added into the game. not the way I designed it, but I believe that suggesting in pictures and making the developers actually see their game looking better, gave them some ideas to what's in the game today.

Know this - I'm not trying to compare between the Zed's. I haven't actually played War Z for months. (once in a while I go back to check what's new)

I know that some of you think War Z is crap. I respect your thoughts > and I'm only saying I made this kind of thread on the warz forums and it was successfull. that's it, so try not to hate me.

War Z Photoshop Examples:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/213/tradeui.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7244/clanstorage.jpg

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1385/socialinteraction.jpg

Aftermoon Photoshop:

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/2698/testaa.jpg

NOTE:

I AM recycling some of my art from other games since I'm not using them anymore.

Some of the things here might look the same.

More stuff can be found on my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w4a63y8827f0wx6/CGUIh1HL2O

On subject,

If you don't like my ideas i'm open minded. please feel free to comment here (just please be mature and try to be nice), AND if you have any more ideas please send them over PM and i'll make them. I have some free time.

When I started this thread on The War Z's forums a year ago, I started with one photoshoped picture. made almost 20 a few days later since I was flooded with ideas.

This is all made with good spirit and passion for this game :)

Thank you

i dont like your inventory... the alpha inv either...

and ohoho.. im a "graphic-designer" too... <_<

Let's see your version then.

Right there with you on this one.  My only complaint about the current UI iteration is the fact that it's in fucking Times New Roman.  The minimalism of it is great, but throw a man some verdana, or at least a sans serif font.

Sans Serif? Are you in *gasp* Marketing?

i really like the looks of this, make the game fell way more user friendly. and a way to see how many people/zombies you have killed would be good. and the hole server time and players on it as well. you should be working with there art team man :) +1

its all good. you don't have to like it

its all good. you don't have to like it

I however do like it very much (2nd version). Nice work!

Edited by Grumpy Monkey

Whats with people falling back to "its alpha/beta" responses like that means don't say anything till you see what they do?

Alpha/beta stages ARE the stages where feedback counts. It's what molds the game into what it becomes. Ideas are just that, ideas. It's all our jobs to give ideas and feedback to help the game evolve and mold.

With that said. The first concept seems to be the best. The button at the top looksl ike it would toggle the gear on the 3d model which is perfect to be able to see your front appearance.

The "generic" approach people talk about isnt a bad one. Especially when it's about ease of access and use.

I'm more against seperate inventory pockets dayz went with. I'd like to see a more unified inventory that expands with the more "slots" equipment have on them.

Good work, dude. Only one I didn't like was the first one where the icons covered up the character.

I don't think we will be seeing health, food and drink bars, though. I believe rocket said it was impossible.

Let's see your version then.

to lazy for that... im not here to work,..

im just jugdn his layout, and i dont like it, it doesnt fit with the layout... dont like this white/transparent gardient in v1

v2 its nearly the same as it is ingame

round corners lookin very bad in my opinion

try smth new, and solve with your suggestion the main problems

e.g.

gun shall show what attachments can be applyed

its kinda hard to drag smth from chest to backback

Good work, dude. Only one I didn't like was the first one where the icons covered up the character.

I don't think we will be seeing health, food and drink bars, though. I believe rocket said it was impossible.

It's not impossible. He just doesnt want to go that route.

It's always possible to program a client to fetch specific data your client is receiving anyway to determine if your hungry/ thirsty/bleeding/how much health your at currently to determine what your character does. like die for an example.

Would it be direct milisecond accuracy? No. But you dont need that constant refresh rate of that kinda stuff anyway.

I like it. I'm not a big fan of the main menu, but I like the concept. Perhaps some dirt smudges here and there could work? 

Also, I would love to see the item slots also be transparent.

Edited by colekern

Just no, glossy buttons - rounded edges - application to a blooming game just because you "play" around with Photoshop and have mastered how to make box's and text... I can't say something that hasn't been said already

This game needs functionality/ease of access not fancy rounded buttons with bright colors.

Its Alpha - take a step back, i'm sure they will improve the inventory in due time - right now there are thousands of things that needs fixing before the inventory becomes a issue.

Just no, glossy buttons - rounded edges -

This game needs functionality/ease of access not fancy rounded buttons with bright colors.

Agreed , i don't want a heap of colours and buttons all over the inventory, simple and clean with minimal colours, buttons. I like it as is because it is plain and doesn't look like a ten year old kid threw his art kit at it. 

You have some nice work Madscripter but maybe throw out the colours and roundness, think serious and gritty, function over form :)

I seem to remember these quotes...

"If you're very concerned about the font, I don't think this game is for you"

"The special edition comes featuring Comic Sans and a potatoe"

"The font stays. Mainly to piss the people off who care more about the font than functionality in the game."

I like it. I'm not a big fan of the main menu, but I like the concept. Perhaps some dirt smudges here and there could work? 

Also, I would love to see the item slots also be transparent.

thanks,

I did forget to add dirt more dirt, whenever I add textures to gardients and blocks they always look better.

and as for the item slots, I wanted to make them transparent with round shaped corners, margin from each other but I didnt have the items as transparent .png files, so i was too lazy.

heh :)

Just no, glossy buttons - rounded edges - application to a blooming game just because you "play" around with Photoshop and have mastered how to make box's and text... I can't say something that hasn't been said already

Its Alpha - take a step back, i'm sure they will improve the inventory in due time - right now there are thousands of things that needs fixing before the inventory becomes a issue.

1) did you even read anything from what i've said on main thread?

I said, I know it's alpha, and I know there are more important stuff to deal with. and this is not just a post about inventory, it's about many more stuff.

2) I don't play around with Photoshop. I work with it every day for the past 8 years. you could atleast say something nice but you choosed to mock. mkay.

Agreed , i don't want a heap of colours and buttons all over the inventory, simple and clean with minimal colours, buttons. I like it as is because it is plain and doesn't look like a ten year old kid threw his art kit at it. 

You have some nice work Madscripter but maybe throw out the colours and roundness, think serious and gritty, function over form :)

Gotcha.

I have some more stuff i'm working on. i'm doing it this way.

I must say, people here tend to forget it's just ideas.. and the idea of this thread is that I post one > You post one > I make yours > I post yours > and so on...

I seem to remember these quotes...

"If you're very concerned about the font, I don't think this game is for you"

"The special edition comes featuring Comic Sans and a potatoe"

"The font stays. Mainly to piss the people off who care more about the font than functionality in the game."

heh, tuna slap right in my face :o

thanks,

I did forget to add dirt more dirt, whenever I add textures to gardients and blocks they always look better.

and as for the item slots, I wanted to make them transparent with round shaped corners, margin from each other but I didnt have the items as transparent .png files, so i was too lazy.

I said, I know it's alpha, and I know there are more important stuff to deal with. and this is not just a post about inventory, it's about many more stuff.

2) I don't play around with Photoshop. I work with it every day for the past 8 years. you could atleast say something nice but you choosed to mock. mkay.

Gotcha.

I must say, people here tend to forget it's just ideas.. and the idea of this thread is that I post one > You post one > I make yours > I post yours > and so on...

You are on the net..always prepare your anus ;)

your topic title is a bit off.... its how you think it should look, not what it should look like.

I'm sorry, this is going to come off as rude.  But what you've created looks like a polished turd, its a cleaned up version of a ugly system, but yet, its still very ugly.  A spoiler on the back of a dodge neon doesn't change the fact that its still a dodge neon, not to mention the fact that its front wheel drive and therefore any additional down-force on the rear isn't going to improve traction (aka, you're spinning your wheels on something that isnt worth it).  Its been stated that the current system is a place holder, and will be revisited.  The more important fact is, however, that the menu system and the inventory are not main components of the game in terms of visuals as much as they are as far as function.  and currently, they function just fine.

thanks,

Gotcha.

You state in the OP that you understand some people won't like what you do, yet you seem rather unhappy when someone states so. I'm confused :o

I guess what I'm trying to say is, rather than trying the "show-off" (ex. 2) I don't play around with Photoshop. I work with it every day for the past 8 years. you could atleast say something nice but you choosed to mock. mkay.)  , say something along the lines of "I apologize that this doesn't appeal to you, hopefully you'll like some of my future works."

You'll be surprised how far that tone will get you in the Work Field.

Edited by Shadow134

You state in the OP that you understand some people won't like what you do, yet you seem rather unhappy when someone states so. I'm confused :o

I guess what I'm trying to say is, rather than trying the "show-off" (ex. 2) I don't play around with Photoshop. I work with it every day for the past 8 years. you could atleast say something nice but you choosed to mock. mkay.)  , say something along the lines of "I apologize that this doesn't appeal to you, hopefully you'll like some of my future works."

You'll be surprised how far that tone will get you in the Work Field.

well, i'm also here to learn.

and as for the title, i changed it. I'm not that good with phasing lines.

Well, i understand that most of the people like the dayz as it is, even with the placeholders.

I also understands that you don't like it that polished, or round corners. i'm only trying to add more ideas.

whenever I upload a picture, I get the comments about it (good/bad) and with the comments i'm creating a new one, which is ABIT more to what the author meant.

It's like a game, look at it that way. it's fun for me, and I have some free time so it's all good.

and there are two ways to explain yourself,

one in a good way saying that you don't like it, and second is saying my work is shit.

i'm willing to take both answers, and i'm willing to answer in two different ways to them.

both I understand, since you don't have to like it > just be more mature with the comment, i guess?