Madscripter

DayZ UI / HUD Photoshoped *UPDATED*

This no doubt took time and effort on your part and unlike many people here you're actually designing things. Maybe take some advice from the comments and alter the design a little bit. But really good job. I thought it looked quite nice. Keep it up!

• Like 1

love it, good job if someone dont like it maybe they can try to make a better one!

I like how your action menu along the bottom is a little more less

Think there needs to be a option to change the gamma on that particular part of the screen.

But yep, function first, fancy stuff can wait til post alpha

Definitely like the look of this one a lot. Although it's a little premature to start talking about fancy-ing up the UI its a nice concept.

Inventory system (second version)

mw6t.png

I'm also not a fan, reminds me of a web based UI not a game UI.

Try thinking out side the box!!(with rounded corners)

WHY do you need to keep the inventory in the same order as the Alpha has now? It's only been slapped together in it's current state as a place holder.

How many times have you come across a huge pile of items lying on the ground that would require an entire left hand window to display? umm... NEVER! you might see 2 - 3 items MAX!

Try something new. Think about what is available NOW!

Consider the fact that our characters are rotatable within this UI, why not allow the items we wear(bags / vests etc) be selectable? further reducing the amount of window space needed.

I personally think the UI is to obstructive.

minimalise, minimalise , minimalise 

• Like 2

I have to echo the sentiments of others here. This isn't really bringing anything new to the table, and uses styling techniques lifted straight from the web 2.0 era (which is now well and truly dead and buried).

I, for one, appreciate the effort that has gone into this, and as an exercise this is well worth doing, but perhaps a little more research into the current state of game UI wouldn't go astray :)

For what its worth, I would go back to the beginning, work on some proper UX wireframes and build your concept from there, rather than window-dressing the current solution.

My 2c!

Read the latest few comments that you guys made, thank you very much.

I will work on some new stuff, and yes this is good exercise as Jimieus said.

Points taken.

Looks like shit imo. I prefer the simple one that's in the alpha actually

For what it's worth, this thread sparked a little creative energy for me and I went ahead and did a quick mockup.

DISCLAIMER: This is totally concept work and is basically working off the existing user-flow... and is really only half thought out. It's more of a demonstration if anything. I think this concept is a little cliche', and now that I have had a closer look there are definitely some creative ways one could reduce the ui - personally I would go for a super-duper minimal setup, using symbology and sound as much as possible -  but to do so would probably mean a rethink of the current user flow!

So here we go... Lets do a UI excercise. Started with some basic wireframes, and then went and got all the pretty pictures I would need. The majority of this concept is done in Illustrator.

Gotta have a start screen right? Half MMO, half FPS (I know I will be crucified for mention mmo but it is worth factoring in). Emphasis on the character, with some stats thrown in (I wonder what would be most useful). Have the player panel area sit in the scene - some grass in front of it for eg - you get the picture :)  [i may have missed some menu items... meh concept]

f1xx.jpg

Now lets go Ingame! The basic running state is no-ui - so that doesn't need a concept, but the numbered inventory tab popup state would be nice

vr5p.jpg

Now the bigun - the inventory popout. In this example I thought - why have the little guy if you could drop stuff right onto your guy? (work with me here - hypotheticals) - perhaps dragging items onto him and having the existing item texture highlight to mark it can be replaced/put in there. If that could happen there is some nice real estate made right there - and instead of centering the panel, why not work with the peripheral real estate? bla bla bla here is the piccie

9kyj.jpg

...and then, because ui in games isnt just a static experience, some notes for the idea.

3ui4.jpg

And there you have it, a crack at a UI project for funsies. :)

Anyhoo, I sure hope I havent broken the forum with those images, and I did try to keep their size down. Perhaps this should be in its own thread. Just wanted to upload this somewhere and get back ingame lol.

Hope this sparks some inspiration!

• Like 3

Have to admit, I really like the above inventory mock up. The thirst and hunger indicators (while rocket has hinted that they will be removed) are actually really creative. You could apply a whole range of visual effects to them in order to illustrate the status of the player. That being said, I know it will look and feel far too "gamey" for a lot of people.

Also, to the people throwing the "its an alpha, it will improve" thing about, these guys are doing exactly what they should be in an alpha. Generating suggestions and illustrating possible ways in which elements could be improved. I love it, it's great to see both the creativity of people, and the ways in which the game could develop.

• Like 1

While Jimieus and the OP put some effort into there UI creations. I don't like any of them. For me DayZ UI/Inventory should be as minimalistic as possible. Especially the approach by Jimieus looks like BF4 or something similar. 3D-effects, specially shaped boxes, etc. - just no.

For me DayZ UI/Inventory should be as minimalistic as possible. Especially the approach by Jimieus looks like BF4 or something similar. 3D-effects, specially shaped boxes, etc. - just no.

DISCLAIMER: ... I think this concept is a little cliche', and now that I have had a closer look there are definitely some creative ways one could reduce the ui - personally I would go for a super-duper minimal setup, using symbology and sound as much as possible -  but to do so would probably mean a rethink of the current user flow!

I actually totally agree with your sentiment Kawa. I'd love to see Dayz implement a ui system that was more outside the box. I was blown away with what Shelter (badger game) managed to do with no ui (using sounds and environmantal cues), and others like from dust, Black and white etc. I certainly believe the most 'uninterrupted' experience is the best way to go.

The inventory system is always going to be a challenge - If i get a chance, I will start a thread with some pics of an idea possibly more inline with what you (myself and perhaps the majority of players) would like to see. There is definitely an idea brewing in the pot. For the funsies, of course :)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback [/end thread hijack]

Nice work but I think you've played too much Diablo or something similar to it. :P

I see you like rounded corners but I don't. It reminds me about Warz. :blush: 

I like original UI. Maybe I just want somehow to get rid of the "scroll-down" when you have many items.

One day I think survival time must be included.