Sign in to follow this  
dirny

Suggestion: Starving to death might be too harsh.

I sort of find it ridicilous that you need a can opener or whatever to open a can. Like if a person would be on brink of death would they not find a big freaking rock, bash it open and try to eat what was left of the insides? Maybe make other options to open these taunting and laughing cans of death when starving, with perhaps a penalty of losing some of food in process and not getting the full benefit of the canned food if opened by crude methods? Also perhaps maybe some wilderness food such as berries and the like, only useful if devoured by huge amounts and perhaps bit unhealthy if it is all you eat.

• Like 4

...."starving to death might be to harsh." It's a survival game. You will die from a huge number of things. Learn how to adapt and figure out ways to overcome the games challenges. That is the main point of the game. If you expect the game to change to make it easier for you, you are playing it for the wrong reasons.

I have to admit though, it does seem a little odd that the zombies seem to have stolen all the can openers. I assumed every kitchen which had cans in it would obviously have some way of opening them, but it's possible to survive on powdered milk and tuna tins until you can find a can opener I suppose (I've not found one in three hours of playing today).

I understand it but I would like there to be multiple choices you can use to survive. Like last I knew the tin cans were not made out of thick coating of mithril or anything? It just gives more options and as I said they should perhaps not be as efficent but just enough to keep you from stumbling over your face and starving because you have tin can full of food in your pocket, which you can only open with what seems to be the rarest item on whole earth, a freaking can opener. It just seems bit stupid and unrealistic. Like let me ask you. You are starving to death, you dont have a can opener, you know this can of beans could give you enough energy to stumble maybe to nearby town and find something to survive. Will you just accept the fact that you die because you cannot fancily open your can of beans or bash it open into something so you can go A LITTLE bit further?

Starving to death, not too harsh. But I do like the ideas the OP has proposed, though would hate for it to be too easy.

also tinned sardines usually have a tab allowing them to be opened with ease.

I understand it but I would like there to be multiple choices you can use to survive. Like last I knew the tin cans were not made out of thick coating of mithril or anything? It just gives more options and as I said they should perhaps not be as efficent but just enough to keep you from stumbling over your face and starving because you have tin can full of food in your pocket, which you can only open with what seems to be the rarest item on whole earth, a freaking can opener. It just seems bit stupid and unrealistic. Like let me ask you. You are starving to death, you dont have a can opener, you know this can of beans could give you enough energy to stumble maybe to nearby town and find something to survive. Will you just accept the fact that you die because you cannot fancily open your can of beans or bash it open into something so you can go A LITTLE bit further?

There are plenty of other food options then canned goods. You can find fresh fruit(although rare) cereal, rice, etc.

They are adding the ability to open cans with sharp objects such as knives and bayonets.

My character is running on 6 hours alive and I don't have a can opener. I left the coast ASAP, the looting is much better in the towns to the north.

There are plenty of other food options then canned goods. You can find fresh fruit(although rare) cereal, rice, etc.

They are adding the ability to open cans with sharp objects such as knives and bayonets.

My character is running on 6 hours alive and I don't have a can opener. I left the coast ASAP, the looting is much better in the towns to the north.

Aye that is true. But for my example all I found was few cans of food with my trek through the middle of wilderness and inner country towns. I ended up trying to reach next one only to be starved to death because I had two useless cans of food in my pocket which I could have perhaps used to get something out of them. Like, even throwing them up into air and booting it across the field would have made me feel a bit better.

Dayzdb.com has a map you can use to navigate and make sure you sit and rest or you will die faster. (F3)

I kinda agree with op.

We should be able to open canned food with more items, but with a penalty. Like open the can on a rock, get 75% food penalty so you only get 25% of the can to eat, same with an axe or stuff like that

I don´t know who it mention, someone posted the idea that you can throw the can to the ground and get a "80% bean". I like this idea.

Maybe it get unhealthy than.

Edited by NoCheats

...."starving to death might be to harsh." It's a survival game. 

Sorry sir but if you have 3 canned bean on you, in a real survival situation you gonna open it with a can opener or with naked hands.

It happened once in real life to me and I had a knife. I opened very correctly the can, I'm pretty sure I could do it with a screw driver too...

I feel sad when my character died from starvation with a fire Axe and 4 canned bean I cant open !

In survival you gonna break the shit out of the can with your axe, trust me !!

Edited by Granok

whats new:

• Opening cans with sharp tools
  • Damaging knife, screwdriver and bayonet used for opening cans