Sign in to follow this  
LDSkinny

KoS mentality

It's a shame the attitude is still there. So far all five player interactions I've had have ended in me being killed. Three of the times I was completely unarmed, and the other two I had a melee weapon. The worst part is that one of the times, I was fleeing from the player who was decked out in tactical gear and a rifle and he chased me through the town shooting until eventually he killed me. I was still fresh off the beach and had picked up a single can of soda. At least in the mod there were actual zombies in the game, so shooting like that would bring the whole town down on you.

The sad thing is, the mindset is infectious since now just like in the mod I've begun thinking that if I have a weapon I should kill on sight for my own protection. Is the effect of damaging the loot on a person when you attack them in the game yet? If it is, do people just not know about it? 

It's a shame the attitude is still there. So far all five player interactions I've had have ended in me being killed. Three of the times I was completely unarmed, and the other two I had a melee weapon. The worst part is that one of the times, I was fleeing from the player who was decked out in tactical gear and a rifle and he chased me through the town shooting until eventually he killed me. I was still fresh off the beach and had picked up a single can of soda. At least in the mod there were actual zombies in the game, so shooting like that would bring the whole town down on you.

The sad thing is, the mindset is infectious since now just like in the mod I've begun thinking that if I have a weapon I should kill on sight for my own protection. Is the effect of damaging the loot on a person when you attack them in the game yet? If it is, do people just not know about it? 

People don't care about your loot

People just want your tears.

• Like 2

altho it is the game, the op has a point.

this item damage system does nothing against pking.

"the targets gear is destroyed? who cares, mine's better; i just want to kill him just because."

people still grief bambis, they still camp fully stocked in cherno just to make the game suck for everyone.

dont get me wrong i love the pvp but its just childish to hunt weak players.

find someone who is a challenge. i like to lay traps inland, fight looters at the airfield, hunt people who reload in stary etc.

so when i win it feels good, and if i lose i learn from it.

ganking bambis is for scum without skill.

yet, there is this type of people who call themselves "bandits" when all they do is behave like asshats.

It happens. Quit moaning and do something about it. I've said the same in two other topics now; go group together with other players who don't like KOS and team up with some friendlies. People need to stop waiting for someone else to fix it, nothing is going to stop someone who is intent upon ruining your gaming experience. Get together with others and fight back against it, help players out, build up trust etc. etc. No patch or update or new system or anything is going to change the minds of people who want to pull the trigger on you upon spotting you. Players can make a difference if they wanted to, actively seek out people you can play with who will protect you and help out others, form groups and develop tactics. If all the people who whine about KOS and the lack of friendlies got together and played with each other, you'd have a motherfucking army.

Edited by DoctorBadSign

Oh God, another one of these threads.

dead-horse.gif

I'm going to kill you and drink your carebear tears. Deal with it.

Edited by Tremu1ant

as i said, im not against killing, per se. part of the game blah blah.

generally i stay away from people unless they have something i want.

holding up people is fun and if i get you first you either drop it or i put a hole in you.

i might also steal your shoes.

i just dont spend all day camping in cherno, because thats gay.

thats all im saying.

and while all the kos threads are a bit annoying, people replying in EVERY single one of them

"im superhard and im gonna kill you because kos is elite and part of the game" are just as tiresome.

• Like 1

Actually I've been quite impressed with DayZ so far. Every player I've met (except some Russians, but quiet about that) has been friendly. It reminds me of when the mod was quite new and everyone tried to work together instead of killing on sight. I hope it stays like this, really enjoying the game so far :)

• Like 1

stuff

Some people like to group. Some people like to KOS. Some people like to lone-wolf. Some people like to camp.

The game is what you make it. If you don't want to get snipe camped in Cherno... maybe don't go to Cherno? No one's saying you HAVE to go there. There's plenty of other places to get loot.

i know. im not complaining i just despise kos because i think its not necessary.

too bad that some people have to turn dayz into their personal turkey shoot and make everyone paranoid.

but i dont care because i play smart (mostly) and havent been shot in cherno (yet).

what bothers me is the reasons people give.

"i was minding my own business and got killed now i kos everyone too." yeah better watch your step.

"someone said they were friendly and betrayed me, now i kos everyone too" dont trust anyone and never turn your back on someone.

"i waved at someone saying im friendly and he shot me now i kos everyone too" seriously? running in the open in a apocalypse game?

if you get killed ask yourself why. and stick to your mindset.

either say youre a bandit and shoot first, or be a careful non agressive person. that doesnt mean you have to either kos or play stupid.

still i personally think shooting weaker people just for fun is bad.

its much more fun to just rob them. ^^

It is simple, get friends and meet people outside the game first. Do not try to come screaming 'iam frendly' and try to meet new players inside the game while they already have good gear and weapons. I wont think twice to shoot you dead if i need your beans or water bottle, or just becouse i felt like you could be a threat.

Remember, it is a survival game, ill kill to stay alive and i wont risk my gear to meet a person i dont want to.

Edited by m4ndark

I think people misunderstand my point. My point is that the uncertainty of a player encounter that makes it exciting is all but lost. Every player that is not part of an out-of-game trusted circle is a hostile. There is no point in using voice chat, there is no point in negotiation. Seeing a player presents two options: Fight or flight. It doesn't make me mad when a player kills me, that's part of the game. What bugs me is that none of the emergent storyline elements that occurred in the early days of the mod can realistically happen. Saving a player who has fallen unconscious? Why would I ever even consider that, the odds are extremely high that he will attempt to kill me on coming to. Saving someone from a an attack and teaming up for a bit before parting ways? Nope, just shoot him on sight. Hold a player hostage for his food and leaving him in his underwear in the middle of nowhere? Nope. Shoot on sight.

Death can be frustrating, but it's an essential part of the game that generates the "stories" that people remember and retell as fond moments.

In the mod, me and my friends filled a bus with 50 cooked steaks and drove into Cherno honking the horn and yelling "FREE STEAKS HERE." The plan was that anyone who took a free steak would be allowed to take as much as they could carry and leave peacefully. Anyone who fired on us would be killed by me in a sniper position overlooking the city. The guy who came up to us cautiously, heard our proposal of a free steak, then fired two shots into the bus before being sniped. He has a story to tell. Something unique happened to him. That's a story far better than "I walked into Cherno and died from a gunshot out of nowhere."

As it stands, we could never give away free food in this game. 100% of players will attempt to attack us even while outnumbered and outgunned. Players will charge you with a crowbar even if you have an M4 because they know you are not going to let them leave alive and it's the only possibility of maybe getting a lucky hit to knock you unconscious. Banditry is certainly a necessary part of the game, but it isn't intelligent banditry. It's just people shooting anything that moves because that's how we do things around here.

I've only encountered 5 players so far. With three I chatted a bit then we went our ways, one fired at me at the Balota AF when I stumbled upon him but didn't pursue me, one pursued me for a short time swinging a hatchet.

Business as usual.

• Like 1

Business as usual indeed.

Standalone game one:  immersion ruined.

Shooting a new spawn without any gear is a waste of ammo, but they don't care because they get decked out in empty servers/with their friends with enough gear to run back and forth with ease.

I've met some fun people, even when we all had fully loaded ARs. I've traded food and medical supplies with geared up people in the woods, let a group of dudes borrow my can opener, been given a blood transfusion by a nice man with a Mosin. But I've also been shot in the face without any gear and then called a "faggot" over direct chat. There are fun people out there, but generally they become soured by bad experiences with people that get a kick out of it.

Edited by Hells High

It's not like there is much else to do right now. Very few zombies, so people are probably more prone to shooting other players.

Im a devoted bandit, and stopped playing(I was there on the early releases of the mod but quit cause cheaters) in modstage. But now Im back in SA, I think shooting bambis is less attractive now.

List why

*They spawn with jack shit

*The decrease of loot, makes bambis have less weapons, which makes them less attractive.

*You actually need supplies much more, there is no point to shoot somebody over what can be assumed be some beans. The reward for killing somebody with more loot is much higher.

*Handcuffs, handcuffs and handcuffs. So far I have killed 1 new player, which started running when threatening them, but cuffed over 10-15 players, cuffing is an effective way to loot people or tap them out of blood. When you cuff somebody, you can actually let them have all their gear, including their weapon, since you get a chance to tag away. There is a win-win situation, where a player would have been shot straight off in the mod, we loot him with handcuffs instead.

Must add, I even give some people overflow supplies, (which we have handcuffed) or players I would never have talked to a nice conversation, since you can b e rather sure they have no weapon.

It makes the game fun, why everyone have to be your friend? Why everyone needs to welcome you to his group just becouse you dont have guns and gear? Like i said in another thread, my and my group always try to avoid contact and wont shoot nobody if they simply not harm us. But for sure ill KoS if you come close, i dont know your intentions, and dont want  to be your friend and i wont risk my life letting you come close. 

Edited by m4ndark

Had the nicest player ever. I was bleeding as i just started the game and a guy came over and bandaged me up. Told my wife I was shocked but it was one of the best things i ever experienced in 30 years if gaming.

Thanks buddy whoever or wherever you are. You are awesomw

The attitude of shoot first, ask questions later will always exist.  You simply can't trust anybody to NOT shoot you and therefor if you wish to survive, you have to shoot them.  It's just an unfortunate fact.  

I usually start out each day by being nice and not killing people when I have the opportunity.  I always end up regretting it by getting killed by the very person I spared.  From then on out it is kill or be killed.

It makes the game fun, why everyone have to be your friend? why everyone needs to welcome you to his group just becouse you dont have guns and gear? Like i said in another thread, my and my group-

Let me stop you right there. "Me and my group", exactly. You have a group of people to play with and work together with. Yes PvP belongs in this game, you need to be able to shoot people, I just wish people would be more discriminative with the people they shoot.

You don't need to be that unarmed guys friend, you don't have to welcome him to your group or give him anything. Point your guns at him and tell him to go away, save the bullets for someone that has something worthwhile if you are a bandit, or for another armed group if you are just trying to survive.

People need to stop with these threads, its getting realy old. Affecting how people play the game is very difficult in a sandbox game of this nature. If you want to change the way the game is played, lead by example and just hope people follow you.

Let me stop you right there. "Me and my group", exactly. You have a group of people to play with and work together with. Yes PvP belongs in this game, you need to be able to shoot people, I just wish people would be more discriminative with the people they shoot.

You don't need to be that unarmed guys friend, you don't have to welcome him to your group or give him anything. Point your guns at him and tell him to go away, save the bullets for someone that has something worthwhile if you are a bandit, or for another armed group if you are just trying to survive.

I see, the problem isnt just about KoS, but KoS new players or at least someone who dont have any weapons. Well, ive never done it

In my scenario, i was intending the person has a weapon. But yeah i dont shoot him if he doenst, but dont expect me to chat with someone who has his gun aimed at me :P

Edited by m4ndark
  • Like 1