Sign in to follow this  
cheRubyy

BIG PROBLEM: Thirst / Hunger / no bottles / no food

Hi guys,

i'm very very new to DayZ. To be honest, I played WarZ and was waiting for DayZ-Standalone Alpha to be released cuz i didnt want to buy Arma2. I'm VERY excited about the game and i love it, it was a LOT of potential. So i started playing yesterday evening... and got f***ed hard into my little tight a** ._.

After spawning and searching like 10000000 houses in 2 hours for food/water bottles/what so ever i found exactly 1 rotten apple (which made me vomit btw) and 1 backpack. My character was crying for drink/food all the time + beeing ultra-exhausted. Well, then 2 friendly guys came and just killed me (yay). 

Next spawn: I again searched about 2 hours to find any shit, without succeed (some rotten bananas/oranges/apples from dead bodies, but no real loot). Finally i died of thirst. I was totally desperate because imagine searching like 100 houses, barns, whatever without finding ANYTHING !!! Now i dont know what to do anymore.

I read about heading north from the coast (where the fuck is north? ok check sun, but in the night?) which i really tried, but without success. I just cant find anything. I read somewhere that the loot-system is broken and the loot doesnt respawn? is that true? cant believe that.. So whatever, i just starve or die of thirst before i can find anyhting (and to be honest, running >2 hours without finding anything cant be really true...). 

Pls help me, give me some stupid beginner advice. I dont know the map at all (yeah i can check online maps but without compass im fucked anyways), i dont know where to find loot, i dont know how to start and what to do first when i spawn at coast. When u say "head north" then i ask u: how long? for how logn should i run north before trying to loot at some village/city? How can i find military bases without knowing the map? How do they look like? Where can i find can-opener (i heard i need that for cans)?

A nice briefing would be so good for me, i love this game but at the moment i'm a bit frustrated cuz i dont know how to survive at all without finding the most fundamental things (food, water). Im not even asking for weapons, that appears to be a luxurious problem for me :D

Thanks a lot for helping,

fight on guys,

#cheRubyy

Every beginning is hard i know ;) but still..

edit: one more questin: what can i do about being exhausted / tired? How to rest? Can i die of being exhausted?

Edited by cheRubyy
  • Like 1

I agree.

I feel that part of the problem here may be that there are a lot more players running around the map than there were during closed testing and they're consuming the food and drink much more quickly than expected.

As I'm sure you are aware this is a very early alpha build. Have faith, I'm sure these issues will be tweaked/resolved very quickly.

Also, moved to DayZ General Discussion. Please try to use the correct sub-forums.

Edited by Mos1ey

I agree.

I feel that part of the problem here may be that there are a lot more players running around the map than there were during closed testing and they're consuming the food and drink much more quickly than expected.

As I'm sure you are aware this is a very early alpha build. Have faith, I'm sure these issues will be tweaked/resolved very quickly.

Also, moved to DayZ General Discussion. Please try to use the correct sub-forums.

nice !

I feel like loot and zeds often don't respawn. Been on servers where I went through cherno and elektro without seeing a single zombie or loot.

Ok yeah, thanks a lot so far. Of course i'm aware that it is an alpha version and i while playing an alpha i only expect like "ok the game starts, it runs, i'm fine". So dont worry, i'm not blaming or anything. 

It's just that i see a lot other people without any problems (streams, youtube, forum, reddit, ...) and they are doing very fine, so there gotta be something i'm doing wrong obviously ;) 

If somebody has some advice or suggestions about anything i could do, pls let me know :)

and: what's about the "exhaustion / tired" thing? How to rest / can i die of that? 

Stand on the beach, have the ocean directly behind you..North is directly ahead :) Sun rises in the East and sets in the West. What you will have to do is start to get to know your way around, remember landmarks, hills, roads and road junctions, large chimneys in certain towns and cities, after a while it will sink in and even a small shack in the middle of nowhere will be a place you can use as a reference.

Find a road and follow it, remember where you started and then see where you end up..and what you passed on the way, barns, certain small rises and forests and even clumps of trees or rock outcrops. You will slowly become aware of your surroundings and be all like ' aww dayum..i 'member dat shitty ole town down dere..dats buttfuck shitville !'

Loot, well dunno, i haven't experienced the severe lack of it yet but obviously it is habbening, i generally head inland and have had no trouble finding gear. My advice..get off the coast and venture in, the only way to get to know the map is to get lost. Some of the best moments are when you work out where are and you end up finding that can of drink or food you were desperate for :)

good luck young journeyman

• Like 3

Ok yeah, thanks a lot so far. Of course i'm aware that it is an alpha version and i while playing an alpha i only expect like "ok the game starts, it runs, i'm fine". So dont worry, i'm not blaming or anything. 

It's just that i see a lot other people without any problems (streams, youtube, forum, reddit, ...) and they are doing very fine, so there gotta be something i'm doing wrong obviously ;)

If somebody has some advice or suggestions about anything i could do, pls let me know :)

and: what's about the "exhaustion / tired" thing? How to rest / can i die of that? 

I believe exhaustion and tiredness are tied to hunger and thirst.

I'm not sure how accurate this is because it's very early DayZ and I doubt anyone (other than the dev team) is 100% sure of all of the ins and outs yet, but you might find it useful...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204765503

Food and Drink aren't really a problem with me.  I just cannot find anything to open cans with  :P

Apparently sharp tools can open cans, but my axe is a no no haha.  Any suggestions?

thanks a lot so far to everyone who found some minutes to help ;) i'll try my best (when i'm home from work FK) to find my path through the wasteland and survive somehow :D

I joined the most populated server my first login. First house I went in I found like 8 pieces of food 2nd house an 80 canteen

the best advice for newbies is to directly head north after you spawned

most people hang around the coast so the coastal cities are almost always out of loot

just head inlands and try to find some small villages the houses there are always filled with loot like food or some drinks

I played the DayZ mod for months. This is annoying.

I'm okay with a decreased drop rate, but the consumption rate of food and water is so high I can barely believe it. It's bad enough that I can't go anywhere besides Cherno and Electro, because I feel that if I choose a destination any further away, I'll need to find food/water as soon as I get there or die, which I can't guarantee as I don't know the new map at all yet. Finding food and water should be a priority when you start the game, but once I find those I want to focus on the rest of the game. I don't want to spend 90% of my time looking for soda cans because I'm usually dying of thirst (even while I'm finding hatchets and backpacks and clothes and helmets and everything else besides canteens and can openers).

I couldn't find an entry for the loot-not-respawning thing in the patch notes.

I thought this was to be prioritized... no?

Maybe they're keeping it that way till they find a workaround for loot cycling?

Edited by kadude

just dont bother to head inlands i tried it myself yesterday and these messages just aren't as bad as they seem

the amount of energy and water you have at spawning will get you for example to zeleno without any problems and the villages and town in the north have much more loot cause most people are just staying near the coast and kill freshspawns or are afraid to go north for the same reasons as you

the airfield for example was totally abandoned yesterday i was extremly suprised as there was just some nice loot for me :D

hmkey, so i always (!) spawn around cherno or elektro, right? this means i always spawn at the south-coast of the map and NEVER can spawn at the east coast, right? 

i'm asking because maybe i got 1-2 irl friends who might join, so we can find each other :D

Stand on the beach, have the ocean directly behind you..North is directly ahead  :)

just dont bother to head inlands i tried it myself yesterday and these messages just aren't as bad as they seem

the amount of energy and water you have at spawning will get you for example to zeleno without any problems and the villages and town in the north have much more loot cause most people are just staying near the coast and kill freshspawns or are afraid to go north for the same reasons as you

the airfield for example was totally abandoned yesterday i was extremly suprised as there was just some nice loot for me :D

This was my tactic for a long long time when I played the mod. Its currently pot luck in the SA how far you get unless the server has literally just restarted.

Last night I spawned in Komarovo, I died / became

unconscious just east of Pavlovo after attempting to get to Zelenogorsk (looting every building I found otw) which was a bit frustrating to say the least.

Mos1ey's hit the nail on the head, more food / drink is required OR making the health system more realistic i.e not dropping dead because you havent taken on any liquids / calories in 2 hours

one more question: is it best to RUN (2x w) all the time or just the usual walking? 

not sure if i should 2x w (run fast) or if its bad because i would lose a lot faster energy/dehydrate

one more question: is it best to RUN (2x w) all the time or just the usual walking? 

not sure if i should 2x w (run fast) or if its bad because i would lose a lot faster energy/dehydrate

You have walk, jog, sprint. Your sprint slows down after a short burst and is more of a fast jog. You will use more energy fast jogging :) 

I don't know. I don't play on empty servers... 30-40 people and I tend to have an abundance of food to where I eat food just to make room to pick other things up. 

I played the DayZ mod for months. This is annoying.

I'm okay with a decreased drop rate, but the consumption rate of food and water is so high I can barely believe it. It's bad enough that I can't go anywhere besides Cherno and Electro, because I feel that if I choose a destination any further away, I'll need to find food/water as soon as I get there or die, which I can't guarantee as I don't know the new map at all yet. Finding food and water should be a priority when you start the game, but once I find those I want to focus on the rest of the game. I don't want to spend 90% of my time looking for soda cans because I'm usually dying of thirst (even while I'm finding hatchets and backpacks and clothes and helmets and everything else besides canteens and can openers).

How many warnings do you need that this will be buggy, frustrating and annoying before you won't complain?

How many warnings do you need that this will be buggy, frustrating and annoying before you won't complain?

All of them?