carlj

Possible FPS Enhancer

I've got a Phenom X4@3,7ghz and 670gtx. I run almost everything al highest setting. Only 2 settings changed. First and far most effective setting is sceneComplexity. I've got that on 100000. I also got drawdistance at 1600 meters. Good fps in wild AND city.

Yes, i read that it has something to do with hyperthreads i think Intel has it And AMD Not is that right ? Maybe Thats the Point. I bought a New pc 4 months ago especially for Playing Arma my Old pc was an AMD Too And i got 20-30 fps now i got 60-100 fps its a hughe improvement.

carlj my menu looks grey and there is no character also when I lost I see dayz logo and loading bar below going very slow. When game loads I see textures as a grey soldis, after a while it loads to normal. But yeah... I get more fps after that xD

Can someone tell me the code to put in mine?

nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=? -maxVRAM=? -cpuCount=? -exThreads= ?

Windows 7 64 bit

AMD FX- 6300 CPU Six core processor 3.50 GHZ

RAM 8 GB

AMD Radeon 7770 1 GB

I've got a Phenom X4@3,7ghz and 670gtx. I run almost everything al highest setting. Only 2 settings changed. First and far most effective setting is sceneComplexity. I've got that on 100000. I also got drawdistance at 1600 meters. Good fps in wild AND city.

Where is the scene complexity and draw distance settings?

EDIT: FOUND IT

Edited by Skyelur

I get:
25-30fps in cherno.
50-100+fps in wilderness, depending on angle of the camera.

Computer:
CPU: 
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3,2GHz (3,6GHz at load), 6 Cores. Normal clocks.

GPU: Gainward GTX570, 1280MB VRAM. Normal clocks.
RAM: 8GB, Normal clocks.
HDD: Mechanical, 7200RPM

This is my settings outside the game:
Important: The changes to the Dayz.exe have to be done with every restart of the game...

Task-manager -> Processes -> DayZ.exe, rightclick, "Set Affinity" (sets how many cores the game is allowed to use), Set it to 2 Cores. 
This will improve your fps with 5-10FPS depending on your specific CPU. If you use less then 2 or more than 2 you will get an loss of FPS.
In other words, DayZ won't make use of more than 2 cores.

Task-manager -> Processes -> DayZ.exe, rightclick, "Set priority, High".

Remember to protect your cfg's by putting "Read-Only" in it's properties after you have made these changes. (Rightclick, Properties, General, Attributes, Check "Read-Only". Otherwise the game will overwrite some of the values with every restart of the game!

COMPUTERNAME\Documents\DayZ\DayZ.cfg:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

COMPUTERNAME\Documents\DayZ Other Profiles\STEAMNAME.DayZProfile.cfg:

sceneComplexity=100000;
shadowZDistance=90;
viewDistance=1600;
preferredObjectViewDistance=1600;

Steam (DayZ Launch Options):
-maxMem=8192 -maxVRAM=1024 -cpuCount=6 -exThreads=6

These are my ingame settings:

Video:
  • Resolution: 1920x1200px
  • VSYNC: OFF
    • Quality
      • ​Objects: Very Low
      • Terrain: Low
      • Clouds: Low
      • Shadows: Low
    • Textures
      • ​Video Memory: 1024 MB
      • Texture Detail: Normal
      • Texture Filtering: Very High
    • Rendering
      • ​Antialiasing: Disabled
      • Alpha to Coverage: Disabled
      • Edge Smoothing: Disabled
      • HDR Quality: Low
      • Ambient Occulsion: Disabled
      • Postprocess Quality: Disabled
      • Bloom: 0
      • Radiation Blur: 0

I will probably try and overclock my CPU a little bit since that seems to make the biggest change in FPS in my rig.
I've tried to overclock my GPU, and I got about 5-6fps increase, but I couldn't get the card stable so the game kept crashing on me.

Edit* Tried some overclocking on the CPU. Got to 3,8Ghz, but when I got to 3,9GHz my northbridge said no, temperature wise. Have to look over my cooling before I go further.
The CPU never got over 50'C in 100% load tho.
Edited by Wh1spY

carlj my menu looks grey and there is no character also when I lost I see dayz logo and loading bar below going very slow. When game loads I see textures as a grey soldis, after a while it loads to normal. But yeah... I get more fps after that xD

Then it is working, I've mentioned before that -nosplash -noIntro -world=empty does exactly that.

Can someone tell me the code to put in mine?

nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=? -maxVRAM=? -cpuCount=? -exThreads= ?

Windows 7 64 bit

AMD FX- 6300 CPU Six core processor 3.50 GHZ

RAM 8 GB

AMD Radeon 7770 1 GB

nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=1023 -cpuCount=6 -exThreads= 6

This is my settings outside the game:

Important: The changes to the Dayz.exe have to be done with every restart of the game...

Task-manager -> Processes -> DayZ.exe, rightclick, "Set Affinity" (sets how many cores the game is allowed to use), Set it to 2 Cores. 

This will improve your fps with 5-10FPS depending on your specific CPU. If you use less then 2 or more than 2 you will get an loss of FPS.

In other words, DayZ won't make use of more than 2 cores.

Task-manager -> Processes -> DayZ.exe, rightclick, "Set priority, High".

COMPUTERNAME\Documents\DayZ Other Profiles\STEAMNAME.DayZProfile.cfg:

sceneComplexity=100000;
shadowZDistance=90;
viewDistance=1600;
preferredObjectViewDistance=1600;

I haven't tried the "set affinity" so ill try that once i get home :)

Again, I just want to mention that changing the priority to high/ launchparameter -high may cause instability. 

Also added your settings in the dayzprofile to the first post/credited you for it :)

What cooling do you have for your CPU? I have absolute not experience in OC'ing a AMD, but not getting over 4,0 should not be a problem of you do the OC with manual vCore until you find a stable OC. 

Edited by carlj

Just buy an Intel and dont overclock your PC's when you have an Intel you will love this Game, because then it runs like you wished it would ran on your amd systems ;)

Just buy an Intel and dont overclock your PC's when you have an Intel you will love this Game, because then it runs like you wished it would ran on your amd systems  ;)

Why would you want an expensive Intel when an AMD CPU does the job equally fine. And regarding overclocking, it wont damage your stuff if you do it right and don't overdo it.
Most bang for the buck is the way to go, IMO. Buying the most popular stuff ain't good and will only lead to monopoly and expensive prices...

Anyway, Intel isn't a definitive solution either since I have two friends with Intel i7's which also got terrible problems with FPS in DayZ.

- Again, I just want to mention that changing the priority to high/ launchparameter -high may cause instability. 

Also added your settings in the dayzprofile to the first post/credited you for it :)

- What cooling do you have for your CPU? I have absolute not experience in OC'ing a AMD, but not getting over 4,0 should not be a problem of you do the OC with manual vCore until you find a stable OC. 

- Oh, didn't know that, no problems here so far. :D

- Corsair H80, budget water-cooling, not to happy about it actually. I made a big mistake buying it, since it had to be installed at the only fan-slot available in the back of my case and therefore eliminating hot air to escape my case, so I had to remove the side-panel and go with an open case.
I have almost no OC experience so I'm just guessing here, but I think the north bridge is getting to hot, passed 60'C pretty fast since I don't have a fan blowing fresh air at it's heatsink. When I got to 3,9GHz the audio began to stutter and the game crashed. Any tips? Btw, my CPU vCore gets increased automatically to fit the OC. Maby that's bad? :)

Edit* Overclock success!
I have now successfully overclocked my 1090T to 4GHz stable, I began the prime test before i wrote this post. The increase in FPS is HUGE! 
From 25-30fps in Cherno I now have 35fps minimum and 45fps peak, it tend to stay around 40fps. Just outside Cherno I get 40-50fps. <3 Haven't noticed any spikes yet which I usually get in Cherno, when the fps goes all the way down to 3fps. But I guess I was lucky. I tested on a 30/40 server, don't know if the population have any different on the fps tho.
But I did notice that the area with the flats, NW of Cherno have a bigger impact on your FPS than Cherno.

Edit*2 
After further testing I can confirm that servers have a big impact on your fps, even if you switch between servers that have the same amount of players online.

Edited by Wh1spY

this is so hard, cant we have this kind of options in the main menu? i dont want to learn stuff like changing numbers and nerdy stuff please

my game runs fine but sometimes when i want to record theres drops of fps

View distance is locked. Changing it in cfg makes no difference. Setting scene complexity also not needed as that changes when you change object detail.

The best thing you can do for fps is: Turn off post processing completely. Set shadows to normal. Terrain to very low. Clouds to normal or high. Shadows to high look a little better but you lose a frame or 2.

AND the single biggest FPS hog, is Ambient Occlusion. Turn that shit off. It almost halves your FPS

Edited by Irenicus

Why would you want an expensive Intel when an AMD CPU does the job equally fine. And regarding overclocking, it wont damage your stuff if you do it right and don't overdo it.

Most bang for the buck is the way to go, IMO. Buying the most popular stuff ain't good and will only lead to monopoly and expensive prices...

Anyway, Intel isn't a definitive solution either since I have two friends with Intel i7's which also got terrible problems with FPS in DayZ.

- Oh, didn't know that, no problems here so far. :D

- Corsair H80, budget water-cooling, not to happy about it actually. I made a big mistake buying it, since it had to be installed at the only fan-slot available in the back of my case and therefore eliminating hot air to escape my case, so I had to remove the side-panel and go with an open case.

I have almost no OC experience so I'm just guessing here, but I think the north bridge is getting to hot, passed 60'C pretty fast since I don't have a fan blowing fresh air at it's heatsink. When I got to 3,9GHz the audio began to stutter and the game crashed. Any tips? Btw, my CPU vCore gets increased automatically to fit the OC. Maby that's bad? :)

Edit* Overclock success!

I have now successfully overclocked my 1090T to 4GHz stable, I began the prime test before i wrote this post. The increase in FPS is HUGE! 

From 25-30fps in Cherno I now have 35fps minimum and 45fps peak, it tend to stay around 40fps. Just outside Cherno I get 40-50fps. <3 Haven't noticed any spikes yet which I usually get in Cherno, when the fps goes all the way down to 3fps. But I guess I was lucky. I tested on a 30/40 server, don't know if the population have any different on the fps tho.

But I did notice that the area with the flats, NW of Cherno have a bigger impact on your FPS than Cherno.

Edit*2 

After further testing I can confirm that servers have a big impact on your fps, even if you switch between servers that have the same amount of players online.

It is kind of the wrong thread to discussing OC'ng, but the reason why you couldnt get higher than 3.9 in the beginning was probably that your vCore shot through the roof, so youd have a vCore for a 5.0Ghz OC thanks to the auto mode, and thus BSOD/instability. As I said, I dont have much experience with AMD, but send me a PM on here and maybe I can help you get higher.

this is so hard, cant we have this kind of options in the main menu? i dont want to learn stuff like changing numbers and nerdy stuff please

my game runs fine but sometimes when i want to record theres drops of fps

The FPS drops thanks to you recording. And it isnt very hard, tell me your system speccs and ill write the line for you. 

View distance is locked. Changing it in cfg makes no difference. Setting scene complexity also not needed as that changes when you change object detail.

The best thing you can do for fps is: Turn off post processing completely. Set shadows to normal. Terrain to very low. Clouds to normal or high. Shadows to high look a little better but you lose a frame or 2.

AND the single biggest FPS hog, is Ambient Occlusion. Turn that shit off. It almost halves your FPS

Of course what settings you use have an affect to your FPS. But DayZ, as Arma 2, Arma 3 and Take on helicopters, have no idea of how to utilize your system. Your computer throws all of its power at the game, and the game is just standing there looking like you asked it to cure cancer. So, these launch parameters, combined with ingame graphic settings is the best way to go for a fps boost. 

Yes, i read that it has something to do with hyperthreads i think Intel has it And AMD Not is that right ? Maybe Thats the Point. I bought a New pc 4 months ago especially for Playing Arma my Old pc was an AMD Too And i got 20-30 fps now i got 60-100 fps its a hughe improvement.

This is not the thread about AMD vs Intel. There is situations where AMD will run circles around Intel, and vice versa.

Edited by carlj

If this does not make any difference, then I guess my computer and game is magical. Lucky me! =) Nothing in the cfgs change if you lock them.

That is just BS. Viewdistance isnt locked. I can see clear difference as trees and sorts are not rendered at the horizon. SceneComplexity gives me biggest fps boost. I can't see the difference visualy but the preformance is much better. So do not state things that aren't true....

I'm having trouble with which is "-maxMem=2047, -maxVRAM= 1023, & -exThreads=4."

Here are some screenshots that can help you help me.

http://prntscr.com/2ef5e6

&

http://prntscr.com/2ef5g0

What I could find is that you have a Nvidia GT750m, so your lauch parameter would be:

nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=2047 -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7

Edit*2 

Congrats on the OC success. Currently running my 3.6 GHz AMD FX-8150 at 4.1 GHz. Can push it to 4.2 on a cold day!

And yes, the biggest impact seems to come from servers. More specifically, to the player with the highest ping connected to the server. This has been a problem with all of the ArmA series of games.

Set it to 2 Cores. 

Hey, man I completely forgot about the priority option xD, used it in CoD 2 back in the days, Thanks! I have a Q9550(1333mhz) @ 2.8Ghz, when you say change it to 2 cores, which ones you mean, cause you know, it has CPU 0 - 3, which ones should I "checkbox"? Does this matter, or not at all? sorry for ignorant question if so.

Btw, I have

XFX HD4890 @ 950Mhz

8GB RAM @ 1066Mhz

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

1920*1080

I have 40-50 in wilderness(not bad at all) but 15-20 in cities is really bad for me. Everything is on Low mostly, except for Textures and HDR. I've tried carlj's tweaks, but sadly didn't noticed any difference, so I might try yours.

Do you think I can get more out of this rig, before the game gets optimized ? I know I could OC, which I already did in the past up to 3.8, but i don't really want to, cause I need it to last a few more months.

1. which ones you mean, cause you know, it has CPU 0 - 3, which ones should I "checkbox"?

2. Do you think I can get more out of this rig, before the game gets optimized ? I know I could OC, which I already did in the past up to 3.8, but i don't really want to, cause I need it to last a few more months.

1. Core 0 and 1. Core 0 is the main core. However, setting the affinity seems to work less good the better the CPU get. Now after my new clocks I don't notice any difference at all.

My friend even got lower fps by setting it to 2 cores. But it's worth a try. =) And the Q9550 is a DualCore processor so you don't need to change the affinity, since it already using only two cores.

2. Probably not, try my settings and see, I gained a few fps on every setting, and in the end I got about 20 more fps in average or so.

The HD4890 is a really old card and probably is equivalent to my old GTX260 or something, which I switched out several years ago! Heck even the GTX570 I have now is 2 years old.

I'd say, wait until the game gets optimized, in the meanwhile, save your money and buy a really good computer when you can afford it. Buying small upgrades isn't worth it. Most bang for the buck mid/high or high-end is the way to go! =)

Edited by Wh1spY

1. Core 0 and 1. Core 0 is the main core. However, setting the affinity seems to work less good the better the CPU get. Now after my new clocks I don't notice any difference at all.

My friend even got lower fps by setting it to 2 cores. But it's worth a try. =) And the Q9550 is a DualCore processor so you don't need to change the affinity, since it already using only two cores.

2. Probably not, try my settings and see, I gained a few fps on every setting, and in the end I got about 20 more fps in average or so.

The HD4890 is a really old card and probably is equivalent to my old GTX260 or something, which I switched out several years ago! Heck even the GTX570 I have now is 2 years old.

I'd say, wait until the game gets optimized, in the meanwhile, save your money and buy a really good computer when you can afford it. Buying small upgrades isn't worth it. Most bang for the buck mid/high or high-end is the way to go! =)

Q9550 is not a dualcore, it's a quadcore, hence the "Q" in the name. It's an old proccessor but does the job well enough tbh. It's still equal to even some i7's out there despite being a 6-7 year old cpu lol

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Quad+Q9550+%40+2.83GHz&id=1049

However, you would need something far more powerful if you want to be enjoying this game at full potential and I agree with the GPU being weak. I have the same CPU and I'm stuck with 20-25 fps in Cherno, 50-90 fps in the wild. I run high settings though, except SceneComplexity and the standard config tweaks.

And the Q9550 is a DualCore processor so you don't need to change the affinity, since it already using only two cores.

Q9550 is a Quad Core, not DualCore.

I had a little boost on fps; I get 25-30 in cities now, which is a little bit bearable. Wilderness 50-65. I have yet to try with the affinity and see if it makes better or worse. Thanks

I adjusted the cpu and thread count and fiddled a bit with the values in the cfg files.

Most significant changes in performance come from (surprise surprise) shadowZDistance and viewDistance.

With a lower viewDistance you can also try upping the sceneComplexity value for nicer looks to find a good middle way.

Tested it in Stary - went from 18-25 fps to a solid 30-40 fps (I'm not even kidding, it's probably because my gfx card has trouble processing large amounts of drawcalls properly...).

Additionally I turned off ambient occlusion. That usually yields a couple of bonus fps too and the visual effect is so subtle, it makes almost no difference most of the time.

I have:
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
GTX 550 TI
8GB ram
(Thats all you need to know)

I have several cpu/gpu monitors, and apparently my cores + gpu ain't being used up that much, maybe 50% of all cores are being used and 50% of my GPU is being used up. Wouldn't it help to have most cores + gpu running at their full usage in order to get better frames?

In cities I get like 18-25
wilderness I get like 25-60
It is really annoying and my game is choppy, which makes it a lot harder to shoot :(
ANY TIPS?

@Cloudious.
Maxframes settings in cfg @1
viewdistance @ 1500
scenecomplexity @ around 100000

Ingame settings @ medium and no clouds.

OC your CPU @ 3,8ghz. With the right cooling it should handle this clockrate easy. Don't be scared. I've never destroyed a AMD with overclocking.

You've got almost the same system as I got. These settings should give you a big boost. If you don't know where to find this variables read the rest of this topic.

Edited by Hershel Green