ProGamerGov

Thoughts so far on Dayz Standalone

The things I like are:

1. Look outside your window, if it's dark or will be dark soon, it's dark in game. (Same for light)

2. Weapons are really hard to find. It's not a stupid death match anymore!

3. No stupid protected trading zones or other handicap features.

4. No squad up, you have to meet up or find your friends.

5. Loot is scarce like a real apocalypse makes surviving a much larger part of the game and encourages more teamwork and less stupid death match gameplay.

I fear the moment we get private servers, we will be back to the really stupid unlimited vehicles with easy weapons for death matches along with 24/7 day servers. I really like the current 24 hour day cycle. Let's you feel like your really there! Those easy mode private servers ruined the mod.

I hope helicopter come backs on but be extremely rare so the people who have it treat it well and you really shit yourself when one comes in guns a blazing!

The current spawn system for loot and zombies is awesome. Walking through areas finding what people missed or looking were others don't. Killing all the zombies in a town is also fun.

• Like 2

I fear the moment we get private servers, we will be back to the really stupid unlimited vehicles with easy weapons for death matches along with 24/7 day servers. I really like the current 24 hour day cycle. Let's you feel like your really there! Those easy mode private servers ruined the mod.

Maybe the server editor thing won't allow it. Maybe (Just maybe) Rocket has made a good call and taken out the 1000+ vehicle feature...

• Like 1

I don't understand why private server's get such a bad wrap and why all the so called hardcore gamers (or whiners IMO) go around claiming private hives ruin DayZ? Nobody's forcing people to play on the private hives, so why should players be forced to play a game the way a certain group see's fit when all type of game-play is possible? Isn't that what made DayZ in the first place, the mindset to customize and create a different type of gameplay beyond what raw Arma allowed? Make the argument that private hives are ruining your public hives? You cannot, because they are separated for that reason, if you want to play "hardcore" DayZ, then feel free, but why should players be forced to play in "hardcore" mode, the game leaves soo many opportunities for customization, and individualization, some of the features you see now in the standalone were originally created on DayZ-Mod private hives, and if originally they had been restricted these features may never have been developed? To each there own IMO, I think the game should have private servers that cater to what their player-base wants instead of a set of unmodifiable guidlines. As a DayZ Mod server owner, you won't get any of my money for standalone server rental until it's fully customizable. And when the game flops because they've lost such a large segment of their market, they'll have themselves to blame.

• Like 3

The good:

-Steady framerate (given no zombies present)

-Plenty of servers
-No connection issues or crashes as of yet

The Bad:

-I've seen zero zombies (but I have heard zombie noises..GHOSTS!!!)
-Barely any loot - It seems that loot only resets when the server does. The only thing I seem to find is clothing, hammers/axes, rotten fruit)
- Eating food is complicated. It leaves my fruit at 100% which leads me to believe it is not working despite hearing the eating sounds.
-There are no day servers during the nighttime when I play - The night looks really crappy right now. There are flickering textures and the quality just looks ugly unless a flashlight is on. Maybe Arma 3 spoiled me?

• Like 1

I don't understand why private server's get such a bad wrap and why all the so called hardcore gamers (or whiners IMO) go around claiming private hives ruin DayZ? Nobody's forcing people to play on the private hives, so why should players be forced to play a game the way a certain group see's fit when all type of game-play is possible? Isn't that what made DayZ in the first place, the mindset to customize and create a different type of gameplay beyond what raw Arma allowed? Make the argument that private hives are ruining your public hives? You cannot, because they are separated for that reason, if you want to play "hardcore" DayZ, then feel free, but why should players be forced to play in "hardcore" mode, the game leaves soo many opportunities for customization, and individualization, some of the features you see now in the standalone were originally created on DayZ-Mod private hives, and if originally they had been restricted these features may never have been developed? To each there own IMO, I think the game should have private servers that cater to what their player-base wants instead of a set of unmodifiable guidlines. As a DayZ Mod server owner, you won't get any of my money for standalone server rental until it's fully customizable. And when the game flops because they've lost such a large segment of their market, they'll have themselves to blame.

i agree, players will go were the servers that suit them are...

im hoping 24/7 daylite servers are up before the weekend.. im sik of logging in and out of dark servers already looking for some blessed daylite dammit.

The things I like are:

1. Look outside your window, if it's dark or will be dark soon, it's dark in game. (Same for light)

2. Weapons are really hard to find. It's not a stupid death match anymore!

3. No stupid protected trading zones or other handicap features.

4. No squad up, you have to meet up or find your friends.

5. Loot is scarce like a real apocalypse makes surviving a much larger part of the game and encourages more teamwork and less stupid death match gameplay.

I hope helicopter come backs on but be extremely rare so the people who have it treat it well and you really shit yourself when one comes in guns a blazing!

The current spawn system for loot and zombies is awesome. Walking through areas finding what people missed or looking were others don't. Killing all the zombies in a town is also fun.

While I really don't want to be a party pooper because SA has a lot of improvements...

1. Actually it's based on server time, which can be anywhere.

2. Weapons are extremely common, just hit up any good spawn on a fresh server.

5. Loot isn't scarce. It's either everywhere, or nowhere, depending entirely on how many people have been around since the last restart.

3 & 4 I agree with.

Sadly 2 and 5 aren't accurate (I wish they were).

Because it doesn't fit what the mod was supposed to be. If you and everyone that doesn't like 'hardcore' DayZ want to go on a rampant PvP fest, well, now you have the mod to do it in. DayZ was meant to be sandbox MMO survival with people making their own playstyle, but it was not meant to be easymode. Giving the server 1,000 cars, self-bloodbags, and increased loot turns the game from a survival sim, into a military sim with zombies. You're gonna sit here and argue for your cause with the same ideals over and over again because to you DayZ has become a PvP game. Fact of the matter is that the REAL community that likes playing DayZ for what rocket in-visioned it to be will never support private hives in the standalone. Whether you like to admit it or not, they killed not the playerbase of the mod, but the spirit and atmosphere of it. Like I said, you guys now have a nice and neat little mod to play by yourselves.

i agree, players will go were the servers that suit them are...

im hoping 24/7 daylite servers are up before the weekend.. im sik of logging in and out of dark servers already looking for some blessed daylite dammit.

Which if they're looking for PvP easy-mode, then that place will always be the mod. Don't get your hopes up for those 24/7 daylight servers, I guarantee you it isn't going to happen. Grow some manhood and get rid of your nightlight.

• Like 2

So far, i love it. If the loot respawns after a restart i'm totally cool with that. At least people won't just wonder around NWAF for few mins so, all the stuff respawns. It gives it more of a survival experience. You're there first you can take whatever you want,if you're the last one there, there might be nothing left..Love it!

24/7 daytime servers? Stupid. If so, i hope not official hive.

Edited by OntyCZE
  • Like 1

Because it doesn't fit what the mod was supposed to be. If you and everyone that doesn't like 'hardcore' DayZ want to go on a rampant PvP fest, well, now you have the mod to do it in. DayZ was meant to be sandbox MMO survival with people making their own playstyle, but it was not meant to be easymode. Giving the server 1,000 cars, self-bloodbags, and increased loot turns the game from a survival sim, into a military sim with zombies. You're gonna sit here and argue for your cause with the same ideals over and over again because to you DayZ has become a PvP game. Fact of the matter is that the REAL community that likes playing DayZ for what rocket in-visioned it to be will never support private hives in the standalone. Whether you like to admit it or not, they killed not the playerbase of the mod, but the spirit and atmosphere of it. Like I said, you guys now have a nice and neat little mod to play by yourselves.

Which if they're looking for PvP easy-mode, then that place will always be the mod. Don't get your hopes up for those 24/7 daylight servers, I guarantee you it isn't going to happen. Grow some manhood and get rid of your nightlight.

Someone explain to me how private "Call of DayZ" server affect hardcore servers? The fact is they don't, what nobody seems to want to admin Arma 2 wasn't designed to be DayZ, and look what we have now, why restrict a player, let them experience the game the way they want to.

so far i am very impressed with how smooth and stable it is. i am aware of the standing issues and am not too attached to my loot yet.

• i will die from bugs
  • i will die from ignorance
  • i will die from players with penis envy
  • i will have a great time.

the SA (on day 1) is 1000x better than the mod after a year.

• Like 2

Someone explain to me how private "Call of DayZ" server affect hardcore servers? The fact is they don't, what nobody seems to want to admin Arma 2 wasn't designed to be DayZ, and look what we have now, why restrict a player, let them experience the game the way they want to.

Because then there are no hardcore servers left. Play on a sever with a time set to where it would be day when you play.

Because then there are no hardcore servers left. Play on a sever with a time set to where it would be day when you play.

Your kidding me right? I'm not arguing day and night, and 1000+ weapons, I'm arguing for map edits and player experience customization, how long has the DayZ mod been out, quite a while? How many hardcore servers are there, quite a few? Your argument is invalid, people are willing to pay for servers that cater to the gameplay they want, to me personally i'd like to go from hardcore survival to PVP, maybe throw in some base building, i guess overall I'm arguing for a customizable experience.

thankfully you're the minority as far as server hosts go

Edited by Sickerthansars
  • Like 1

Your kidding me right? I'm not arguing day and night, and 1000+ weapons, I'm arguing for map edits and player experience customization, how long has the DayZ mod been out, quite a while? How many hardcore servers are there, quite a few? Your argument is invalid, people are willing to pay for servers that cater to the gameplay they want, to me personally i'd like to go from hardcore survival to PVP, maybe throw in some base building, i guess overall I'm arguing for a customizable experience.

Its a sad statement when you call what the private hives had as arma pvp

They did because DayZ was/is meant to be the "anti-game" its not supposed to be easy, you're not supposed to be able to "win" alone. What private hives did was change the atmosphere of the mod attracting tons of "cod" kids who now think Dayz is supposed to be a slightly more realistic fps with zombies and some survial stuff added to it. Sitting on the hills over elektro/berzino or one of the highrises in cherno and sniping new spawns with 50 cals etc is not what dayz was supposed to be but thats what the private hives became with the 100000 vehicles, self blood bags etc etc

They did because DayZ was/is meant to be the "anti-game" its not supposed to be easy, you're not supposed to be able to "win" alone. What private hives did was change the atmosphere of the mod attracting tons of "cod" kids who now think Dayz is supposed to be a slightly more realistic fps with zombies and some survial stuff added to it. Sitting on the hills over elektro/berzino or one of the highrises in cherno and sniping new spawns with 50 cals etc is not what dayz was supposed to be but thats what the private hives became with the 100000 vehicles, self blood bags etc etc

Even Arma wasn't spared. They have people screaming against realism now. The very vocal people who want a game to appeal to as many as possible and be as easy as possible and not have any learning or practice involved.

The point I'm making is what the does it matter to you? Your arguing what the game is "supposed to be" if there is the capacity to mod it, why shouldn't we be able to, how is this ruining the game for the people who want to play the game "as intended", you can go play on whatever server you want,  let me build, and play on whatever server that I want. All it takes is a few narrow minded people to ruin it for everyone. I say to each their own, let servers and their owners make it as diverse as possible. I'm not arguing against realism, I've purchased, and played about 8 hours on the standalone, it far exceeded my expectations, but has a long way to go (and don't start giving me shit about it being an alpha, of that I'm well aware) I just don't see what the problem is with having each server owner decide what direction to take the game in their own right.

I'm liking what I've seen (through the unending night) so far

Good:

Decent FPS unless I try and zoom in on Cherno/Elektro from a distance

Zombies (when they appear) are a bit more challenging

Not tons of guns everywhere

Bad:

Its night. Perpetually. Every server running ingame time the same as out of game is obnoxious

Status messages are vague, random, and occasionaly don't pop up until you die.

I got shot in the butt and my cool shades exploded.

I haven't found one server host yet who agrees with your statement, thankfully you're the minority as the player base goes.

If he's in the minority then explain why there are so many customized servers? I too am a server host and the ONLY fuckin' reason I do what I do is because it is MY server.

Really my only issues so far is the unconsciousness thing. Still have no idea how it happens. I actually managed to get a can opener and food/drink and it STILL happened. And the fact that loot only spawns on server restart. It makes it damn near impossible for new characters to spawn and actually make it in the world.

This^

The problem is left to it's own devices, the community member who host servers and have power will generally dumbed down the game and go for the non hardcore PvP ideology leaving few actual hardcore survival servers. We are stuck with mods of the mod now that feature safe trading zones and other features that make the game easier and cater to PvP players. They have the mod for that. The standalone is supposed to be the ideology of the original mod not to convoluted mess it is now. If you like those mods, then go play them on the mod, the standalone while being open to modding needs to prevent certain types like dumbing down and stuff catering to the COD PvP demographic.

If he's in the minority then explain why there are so many customized servers? I too am a server host and the ONLY fuckin' reason I do what I do is because it is MY server.

The dumbed down easy make PvP servers generate more donation cash...