Sign in to follow this  
ThirdSinger

No loot, or do I just suck?

The current system is temporary, but the spirit of it is not.

Servers currently automatically restart every 4 hours. Looking at the metrics, most people are not looking for loot. They are running into rooms and then out.

We will be making balance adjustments in the next update, but the "proper" loot system won't appear until later on.

I like the idea of stuff respawning as it is looted in random locations throughout the map, although I really hope it doesn't end up like the mod where it is EXTREMELY easy to find loot. Keep the loot hard to find but yet always there, you just need to know where to look, and people will be happy. You cant say its not there because it is always kept at the same amount, but yet you can't go raid cherno and find everything you need because the big cities will still be emptied while the loot moves to less popular locations so people who actually know how to loot will find it :)

I think the problem is people are just playing like in the mod and now there are a lot more places to loot so ppl should move to small towns instead of cherno\electro.

Rocket - can you explain why I just lost all my gear and got respawned at the beach as I was trying to relog from a break to a different server?

The loot isnt lacking, it's not spawning. If you stick around the same buildings for 10-15 minutes a lot of stuff will start spawning.

My buddy and I found mutiple axes, gas cookers, gas lanterns, two mosins - one for each of us -,a fuckton of ammo, scopes, medpacks and food and drink to last for days and those huge backpacks

Guess what we did?

WE WENT AWAY FROM THE CITIES WHERE EVRYBODY ELSE IS

Jesus man, what the fuck

Edited by Elo

My buddy and I found mutiple axes, gas cookers, gas lanterns, two mosins - one for each of us -,a fuckton of ammo, scopes, medpacks and food and drink to last for days and those huge backpacks

Guess what we did?

WE WENT AWAY FROM THE CITIES WHERE EVRYBODY ELSE IS

Jesus man, what the fuck

So did I, but guess what, I found shit all. This is because Rocket himself has stated there is a problem with loot

Oh my god it's a fucking alpha calm down.

Things are subjected to change!

hasnt it been an alpha for life a decade already?

Again, bull shit.

What the mod did was throw you into a game where you had a reasonable chance of finding things if you could determine where you were on the map. It made no distinction on when you joined the server. The standalone does make that distinction. Finding loot is based on the amount of time since the last server restart and the carelessness of players. Supremely realistic but not conducive to fairness in a game.

If memory serves, it didn't seem we had a reasonable chance of survival back in the days when we were given a pistol and painkillers along with our flashlights. It seemed ridiculously hard until we acclimated. After they took away the pistol, it seemed unreasonably hard again.

Perhaps the difference is that I don't view DayZ as a "zombie game" so much as a survival simulator that has a side of infected people (I would argue that hostile, armed AI would be better). This was Rocket's original intent, and this is why the program drew me in. Dark was fucking black, blood was precious, and life was nasty brutish and short. It was fascinating to learn from very simple mistakes.

If you want a "fair game" and I want an "unfair training tool" then it's not wonder you keep saying "bullshit" to everyone who disagrees.

Hell, I'd randomize the game even more than it already is; you might start on the beach with a rifle and a broken leg, or perfectly healthy and butt naked.These are the situations that force us to think outside the box.

[edit: I really don't care for zombie games, or about zombies at all. I'd love to see a pure survival simulator without the zombie bullshit. Pilots downed behind enemy lines, or SHTF with roving gangs of AI looters and such]

Edited by 032125

Thank fuck.

Good job Rocket, stick to your guns. Less loot is what DayZ needs.

Okay. I mean, I get it. It's cool and hardcore and that's great, and it's a bonus that people can't just sprint into Cherno and be geared up in 10 minutes, but can we also not pretend that loot only on server reset is actually a workable solution? That's impossibly restrictive and grants server administrators an unacceptable amount of power over loot distribution on their servers (i.e., they can choose to restart only when their friends are online and prepared to raid high-value targets).

There must exist a middle-ground between the mod and this where loot respawns at a reasonable rate - especially food and basic necessary tools.

I made my way in land, searched towns throughly, nothing. Eventually, I came across some poor sod. Mosin, bullets, shotgun shells, hoodie, backpack, canteen, can opener, hand cuffs, loads of foot. Just lying dead. No zombies around either. I assume the poor sod died of thirst.

I like that things are more scarce, but I can understand how the appeal of running around and constantly dying of thirst gets old. I imagine once the wells get fixed that might improve though.

Edited by Dares

I made my way in land, searched towns throughly, nothing. Eventually, I came across some poor sod. Mosin, bullets, shotgun shells, hoodie, backpack, canteen, can opener, hand cuffs, loads of foot. Just lying dead. No zombies around either. I assume the poor sod died of thirst.

I like that things are more scarce, but I can understand how the appeal of running around and constantly dying of thirst gets old. I imagine once the wells get fixed that might improve though.

Pretty much, I spent an hour scrounging around and managed to find handcuff keys, some aviators (whoo, lookin stylish now) and scraps of cloth. I see bodies littering the roads everywhere, but they all just have a flashlight. I have yet to see a single zombie in four towns. My first assumption was that a bug was causing loot and zombies to not spawn and that everyone was dying of starvation/thirst. Turned out I was right. It seems like if you can make it inland that you'll be ok, but right now as it stands the game is incredibly unintuitive, because if a player wastes time scavenging on the coast they won't have enough energy to make it inland where there might be loot. Hopefully in the meantime, someone will make a listing of restart schedules so I can log on right after one boots up.

This isn't exactly the apocalypse I imagined with this game. There's nothing out there to kill you. Right now we're not playing DayZ, we're playing Starving Simulator 2013.

Servers currently automatically restart every 4 hours. Looking at the metrics, most people are not looking for loot. They are running into rooms and then out.

We will be making balance adjustments in the next update, but the "proper" loot system won't appear until later on.

Nobody has a problem with loot being scarce the problem is it only spawning at restart so when you get home after working a 10 hour shift and all the servers have been up for 4 hours already you can't find anything and die from thirst before you do as the unemployed high-school dropouts are server hopping at reset loading up on loot they're never going to use.

I personally have had no problem finding loot but I know this is going to start happening. Especially as more and more people start getting the game.

Edited by Weedz

I found the secret, it's called Balota... found more there in under five minutes than I did after spending over two hours around Elektro and environs. Not just weapons either, food, drinks, clothing, boots, backpack, medicine, masks...

I killed a man for a can opener...

Ate all of his food and mine. Went unconscious five minutes later. :(

To be fair, it is VERY hard to see certain pieces of loot on the ground. I'm not asking for a Baldur's Gate type system where you just hold a button and all of the loot is highlighted, but perhaps make them a little easier to see on the ground.

Oh, and putting stuff under beds in those military buildings sucks. What would be nice is if you could get right up on the bed, hit tab and actually be able to take the things that are under/above it.

I've not had any problems myself, http://s22.postimg.org/7a62gosmp/221100_screenshots_2013_12_18_00001.jpg all kitted up, got so much loot on me. Probably because I spawned in Stary somehow, I dunno if you can spawn anywhere on the map now, but I spawned there and ran to NW airfield and just got so much gear. I've spent a couple hours running on these train tracks, got lost, ended up at NE airfield, loads more gear and now heading south and I'm at Factory fully kitted out and ready to kill some bandits... though I dunno if you can tell in SA? Maybe if they shoot at you is a good sign lol.

My friend keeps spawning down South though, those seem like the most popular spawns, so no wonder why people complain about loot, especially since you pass out fast without food and drink. I think spawns should be more balanced tbh, that would fix the loot problem. 

If anything I think stuff spawns too much, everything is far too common, it would be really nice if the helmets and masks were rare, but I'm carrying spares lol, you find so many. 

This^

I would say there could even be too much loot.

There is not to much loot man, enough gear yes foods NO

There is not to much loot man, enough gear yes foods NO

QFT

Plenty of gear, not enough food. And no can openers.

If memory serves, it didn't seem we had a reasonable chance of survival back in the days when we were given a pistol and painkillers along with our flashlights. It seemed ridiculously hard until we acclimated. After they took away the pistol, it seemed unreasonably hard again.

Perhaps the difference is that I don't view DayZ as a "zombie game" so much as a survival simulator that has a side of infected people (I would argue that hostile, armed AI would be better). This was Rocket's original intent, and this is why the program drew me in. Dark was fucking black, blood was precious, and life was nasty brutish and short. It was fascinating to learn from very simple mistakes.

If you want a "fair game" and I want an "unfair training tool" then it's not wonder you keep saying "bullshit" to everyone who disagrees.

Hell, I'd randomize the game even more than it already is; you might start on the beach with a rifle and a broken leg, or perfectly healthy and butt naked.These are the situations that force us to think outside the box.

[edit: I really don't care for zombie games, or about zombies at all. I'd love to see a pure survival simulator without the zombie bullshit. Pilots downed behind enemy lines, or SHTF with roving gangs of AI looters and such]

That would be the best case scenario for DayZ in my opinion, I love a challenge that makes me think outside the box. Will DayZ ever be like that? Probably not, there are too many people whining about how it is too hard. If we're lucky we will get someone who mods the game and sets up his own servers with the intent of making the game as you described.

I ran around Cherno and Elektro when I spawned on a server that hadn't restarted for a few hours. There was no loot of course, I headed north a little - LOOT GALORE.

People complaining that early birds will steal up all the loot obviously never leave the coast....

Also, I am yet to die/pass out from lack of food or water - how is this a common problem?

Well, i think that they should be spawning a little more, because think about it this way. If an actual zombie apocolypse were to happen, the first place that would be hit would most likely be the cities, therefore the cities would have almost no loot and there would be the core of zombies. Now places out in the middle of no where, would have a quite a bit of loot, almost every house in real life has more than a couple cans of food and other things, now i know this is just a game and they don't want to just throw loot everywhere, but since they wanted to go for a more realistic feel, i think they should spawn a little bit more loot inside the country houses.