Sign in to follow this  
ThirdSinger

No loot, or do I just suck?

Again, bull shit.

What the mod did was throw you into a game where you had a reasonable chance of finding things if you could determine where you were on the map. It made no distinction on when you joined the server. The standalone does make that distinction. Finding loot is based on the amount of time since the last server restart and the carelessness of players. Supremely realistic but not conducive to fairness in a game.

Perhaps this will get better once this whole hunger, thirst, sickness, etc nonsense is figured out. I don't know. But right now the system is indeed broken.

What you don't seem to understand is people don't want things handed to them. The only thing we want is to have that same level of opportunity. I don't think that's unreasonable. And no, that doesn't make the game any less hardcore. It simply makes things slightly more fair. Of course those who put in vast amounts of time scavenging will be better off, but that's only fair. What isn't fair is someone having a leg up because they were able to wait for a server restart and take advantage of it.

People just want to be cool and "hardcore", so they mouth nonsense about how a system I'm sure Dean himself knows has issues is actually fine and perfect. 

Personally I feel loot should work along the lines of keeping survival basics along the coast, respawning in a way such that you have a fair chance of surviving no matter what time you join the server. And then have the loot scale upwards (firearms, advanced survival gear, car parts later on in the games development) the farther north and inland you proceed, 

People just want to be cool and "hardcore", so they mouth nonsense about how a system I'm sure Dean himself knows has issues is actually fine and perfect. 

Personally I feel loot should work along the lines of keeping survival basics along the coast, respawning in a way such that you have a fair chance of surviving no matter what time you join the server. And then have the loot scale upwards (firearms, advanced survival gear, car parts later on in the games development) the farther north and inland you proceed, 

My problem is I can find decent enough loot. I know a spot where no one ever checks because it's brand new in the game and always has military stuff. But when I get that stuff and start trying to find food, or drink, I always lose consciousness. The few times that I do find food I can't find a damn can opener to use it. It's really frustrating.

You guys crack me up. This is a BETA, and very early Alpha. I'm guessing they though hey we will release it, find bugs quicker, make some money and be able to fix and make the game faster since they could hire more people.  Since its a beta, the servers can get wiped at any time meaning you lose everything, There are and will be bugs in the game. As far as loot, I had no problems last night. almost 90% of the buildings are enter-able you can't tell me that after 1-2 hours after restart someone has  checked all of them and didn't miss a thing. This isn't dayz mod anymore it will take a certain lvl of skill to find items. You can't just walk in and go nope nothing next house, you need to look on things under things, in all the rooms. I found guns, Armor, all kinds of clothing, Masks, like 50 different items and I played for maybe 2 hours last night.

The point of the SA like Dean said was to be harder. Dayz mod was to easy and maybe some of you carebears are gonna find out this game is not for you. When you could go to Cherno and find 10 guns its a little over kill. I like how it is and once things get sorted out in a month or 2 I see this game doing very well. IF you thought you were going to log in and find a chopper and start building your base..... read the notes next time. Probably wont see that stuff for a few months.

If you don't think this loot system is just a placeholder, then you're an idiot. If anything, with the release of the alpha, they're testing their server loads. Pretty positive that the current loot system will definitely be changed, as well as the zed count.

• Like 1

Let's be honest. The mod was a bit of a joke when it came to loot and surviving. It was never a matter of searching for food or drink, you just had to go to a nearest place to pick it up because it would be there every single time. THAT is a broken system for a game that is supposed to be about survival and scavenging in a post apocalypse world. They are obviously trying something new and if it doesn't work out, it will be changed, as simple as that. While I'm sure they appreciate constructive criticism, there is no point in crying about a "broken system" that we haven't even tried yet.

• Like 1

Let's be honest. The mod was a bit of a joke when it came to loot and surviving. It was never a matter of searching for food or drink, you just had to go to a nearest place to pick it up because it would be there every single time. THAT is a broken system for a game that is supposed to be about survival and scavenging in a post apocalypse world. They are obviously trying something new and if it doesn't work out, it will be changed, as simple as that. While I'm sure they appreciate constructive criticism, there is no point in crying about a "broken system" that we haven't even tried yet.

Go to the news section and read Rocket's "known issues", loot system is broken. It'll be fixed and it'll be back to normal where we can actually find shit.

This is how it is in Zomboid, once you cleared  a house, this is it. The amount of consumables left in the world is finite and your only hope not to starve is to start farming veggies. 

I still think some limited re-spawns controlled by the central server at a rate based on player count should occur. 

But I don't want to see the return of the magical run away 200 m to respawn loot farming.  >:(

Edited by ZlobaRUS54
  • Like 1

i have 2 60 rnd mags 1 40 rnd mag and 2 30 rnd mags for m4a1 carbine, just server hop a good location. i just ran into someone at airfield looting barracks and blasted like 15 rounds full auto into a metal grated door it didint hit him aparently.. but i quit fast cause server hopping is so easy, game joins so fast lool. 

Seems to be a semi "I AM RIGHT" debate here... I have noticed that some areas have no loot what so ever. Others have more. And checking wierd spots help finding. Looted barracks at balota just after one dude. He missed ALOT! 1 m4, helmet, vest, backpack, and a mag for a hand gun.. Would be surprised if he is crying about no loot

Go to the news section and read Rocket's "known issues", loot system is broken. It'll be fixed and it'll be back to normal where we can actually find shit.

It won't be back to normal in that they'll change it to how it was in the mod though. The system doesn't work as intended at the moment, It will be changed, tweaked, maybe completely rewritten but they won't just give up on it on the second day of alpha.

I still think some limited re-spawns controlled by the central server at a rate based on player count should occur. 

Yeah, that sounds like the most logical solution if loot scarcity turns out to be a problem even after adjusting server restart spawn rates. I'd really like it if they could somehow make it work with no loot respawning at all. It would force people to check all areas on the map instead of just running to towns with best loot in the same buildings every time.

I have gotten good loot and THOROUGHLY looting four and a half towns.  Check sheds and other spots that people often forget and you will not be disappointed.  

EXACTLY. My friend and I jumped on a random server that had been up for a few hours and still managed to find 2 pistols, a couple m4s, and food and drink. I even looted the elektro firestation RIGHT after someone else, they literally walked out and I walked in, and i found a pistol under a box that you could barely see. People are blind, people miss things, the coastal cities where you can spawn may be looted already, but there WILL be things, and there will only be more things as you go farther inland. Find food and drink, and run north. And to the people passing out after 10 minutes, 10 minutes is a a LONG time to SPRINT. Let go of that double tapped W and walk or jog for a while, and let your character take breaks. This isn't arma, where you can run for hours at a time, your character is only going to be able to sprint for a few minutes.

• Like 1

So bought the game, joined the most populated server, found a crap ton of edible food in the first building I went in, found a backpack in the 2nd and a bunch of ammo, then found stuff in just about every 2nd building after that.

• Like 1

I think the loot system is acceptable as is because of the realism, but if it were to stay this way (which it won't according to Dean) there should be hunting and crop farming implemented so you at least have a CHANCE at eating before you pass out.

Loot system is not final, Rocket said he wants a system that maintains an arbitrary number of items/zombies in the server, and when someone picks up and item or kills a zombie, the server looks for an appropriate place to place new loot.

Also, remember that loot isn't in big obvious piles.  You need to check cupboards, under beds, on top of dressers.  It took me awhile to get used to the new locations but it's not too bad if you go off the beaten path a bit.

Loot system it self is okay, but the time you need new food or drinks is horrible in my opinion.

I got maxed out gear atm, but I don't want to be walking around looking for people to kill because I need to eat/drink every minute..so I just logged off for now and waiting for friends to team up with at Stary lol.

The current system is temporary, but the spirit of it is not.

Servers currently automatically restart every 4 hours. Looking at the metrics, most people are not looking for loot. They are running into rooms and then out.

We will be making balance adjustments in the next update, but the "proper" loot system won't appear until later on.

• Like 6

well reading this and comparing it to my experience with loot it seems to work "quite" good.

i scavanged through kamenka and found a bit of everything. so far i have found enough food to keep me and 2 friends alive for a decent while.

so far 45mins of looting 1 village got me a nagant ( albeit no ammo yet), some decent clothing, various tools and a shit ton of food/drinks in good condition.

when everyone is sprinting to cherno or electro expecting to find everything, while 5-10 people already are scavanging said town its quite obvious you wont get what you came for.

The current system is temporary, but the spirit of it is not.

Is the goal server-restarts not needed anymore?