Sign in to follow this  
TheWizard14

Is grass and bushes in SA renderable at long distances?

I'm just wondering about this because if you are hiding in the grass trying to sneak up to someone, but the grass doesn't render at long distance, then they are going to see you. How far will things like this be see-able on screen because I know it's pretty lag intense if there is a lot.

As for sniper scopes, I know some games make the debris render in when you scope in. Will it also be like that?

They haven't even got past the "look at the characters in their underwear and helmets" part of the development stage yet, they've really got to sort that out tbh it's starting to make me feel uneasy.  I reckon you'll get answers to this kind of question sometime after 2015, when they're most probably 50% ready for release.  

After Rocket has finished snowboarding and rock climbing that is.. You know, this shit takes time..

But no, I don't know.. Sorry :)

Edited by urbanskaters
  • Like 2

I seriously hope this isn't going to be one of those games that goes into developers hell for like 10 years straight, and then next gen computers come out so they have to rework their whole game and upgrade it.

• Like 1

I seriously hope this isn't going to be one of those games that goes into developers hell for like 10 years straight, and then next gen computers come out so they have to rework their whole game and upgrade it.

I used to be a huge fan of Torchlight. Then they delayed the last release by over a year, think it was more actually, but anyway all that waiting eventually killed it for me.  By the time I got the game I'd lost interest and had already started doing other stuff , like going outside and shit.  Did you know there's like parks n stuff in London? I didn't!!!! 

I'm with you on that sentiment though, lets hope they get their act together and produce at least a beta release we can all try :)

• Like 1

They haven't even got past the "look at the characters in their underwear and helmets" part of the development stage yet, they've really got to sort that out tbh it's starting to make me feel uneasy.  I reckon you'll get answers to this kind of question sometime after 2015, when they're most probably 50% ready for release.  

After Rocket has finished snowboarding and rock climbing that is.. You know, this shit takes time..

But no, I don't know.. Sorry :)

I'm actually pretty sure SA is just around the corner. They've thrown a lot of hints these past few weeks.

• Like 1

No, it's the other way around. Bohemia makes the games for the PC's of the future now. Besides "next-gen" is a console term. It doesn't apply for PCs

Have a look at these benchmarks : http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page1.html

In 3 to 5 years you will be able to get a good performance out of the game. At the moment you need something around 1.5k EUR to make it happen.

I'm actually pretty sure SA is just around the corner. They've thrown a lot of hints these past few weeks.

Very true :)

How far will things like this be see-able on screen because I know it's pretty lag intense if there is a lot.

Lag has nothing to do with render distances....

Hello there

Well, we've strayed off topic have we not?

Grass rendering has been discussed and is something they are aware of along with many other issues. Whether anything will be implemented in the future alpa, well we'll have to wait and see.

It's not something thats they've "missed" though. Many issues plaguing A2 have been considered.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

I have a quick question, though:

At what point does it actually matter whether grass renders in at 1,000m or not? Never - it just eats performance and you wouldn't be able to make out the grass anyway.

And as SA is not the mod and there are no AS50's I wouldn't worry about grass being rendered in long distances at all. If anything I would worry more about performance.

It is still in Alpha-state - why would anyone bother with grass in the distance? That's got to be the last point on the last.

Well, it's not about the grass tecnically, but it's bullshit that you can be seen like a black dot on a piece of white paper when you are further than 300m away. Rendering grass would eliminate that but be waaay to performance eating. There are better solutions.

Well, it's not about the grass tecnically, but it's bullshit that you can be seen like a black dot on a piece of white paper when you are further than 300m away. Rendering grass would eliminate that but be waaay to performance eating. There are better solutions.

No need to have that. You "sink in the ground" on ARMA 2 already. I'm assuming that is going to be the same way in Standalone.

And like I said: there's no need to have grass at that distance anyway, as there are no über-snipers, which would elminate the point of having to have cover at that range.

• Like 1

No man, that sinking in the ground sucks, trust me! What before mentionend guy suggested is to tamper with the textures at long range, similar to the way millitary patterns break up your outline. I'll try to show a screen of how well players can be spotted at long range here in a second

http://imgur.com/a/bm3xP

Here, hope this works. First time I upload pictures to that site :)

Distances are roughly 0 then 140 then 280 meters/yards. In full HD the soldier is always well visible.

Edited by Weparo

Theres a mod on armaholic that lets you play with grass draw distance, maybe a variation on that could be used for SA. Just because there are no .50 dosent mean we don't need cover from range. A friend got a 645m kill with a cco, he woulda liked some grass cover....plus there will be other snipers capable of firing well over that distance.

No man, that sinking in the ground sucks, trust me! What before mentionend guy suggested is to tamper with the textures at long range, similar to the way millitary patterns break up your outline. I'll try to show a screen of how well players can be spotted at long range here in a second

http://imgur.com/a/bm3xP

I really hope they will fix this crap and that they are aware of the problem. False feeling that you have some kind of cover in  the grass, while the other guy is laughing as you approach...

• Like 1

And like I said: there's no need to have grass at that distance anyway, as there are no über-snipers, which would elminate the point of having to have cover at that range.

Its not the point can he snipe you or not, problem is that he see you or your squad as they approaching. 

Its not the point can he snipe you or not, problem is that he see you or your squad as they approaching.

Remove zoom...One spotting help gone. You can hide in the distance quite well if you know how to blend in. Lyingin bright grass with a dark ghillie is an example. A lot of players use camo equipment the wrong way. I was standing next to a bush with civ clothes and one fix passed me about 10m. He saw a dot turned to me but didn't see me. I shot him and got ghosted by his buddy 10 mins. later.

Edited by Enforcer

Remove zoom...One spotting help gone. You can hide in the distance quite well if you know how to blend in. Lyingin bright grass with a dark ghillie is an example. A lot of players use camo equipment the wrong way. I was standing next to a bush with civ clothes and one fix passed me about 10m. He saw a dot turned to me but didn't see me. I shot him and got ghosted by his buddy 10 mins. later.

Read the thread. The OP is talking about grass not rendering in at long distance. You literally just talked about camo at 10 meters.......