Sign in to follow this  
Bigal123

Melee Damage : StandAlone

Okay, so I just watched some of the Dec, 7 updates.

I was watching this: http://www.twitch.tv/rocket2guns/b/485686449

And I noticed that it took many many hits to even take down one zombie, and that seems unpractical. It took almost 10 hits to just kill one zombie.

The melee itself is outstanding, and far beyond what I expected from a alpha build. But maybe melee damage needs to be improved.

Anyone have any comments on it?

Depends on the weapon in question.

It depends on the weapon and where you hit.

Axe to the head is still a one shot me thinks.  Baseball bats aren't so effective.

It's location based from what I tell.  He said the bat was worn so it wouldn't do as much damage as a good condition bat.  That and he was hitting something that feels little to no pain with his fists.  He also misses a lot.  I find it realistic.

EDIT

and its a friggen blunt object, not a [spiked Mace of +5 Doom] or a sword or ax or sharp object, which would bypass the protection of the muscle and bones to damage internal organs/vitals.

Edited by BigMike

Well. A baseball bat to the head, either way feel it or not. Would kill someone from injuries.

Realistic? Maybe not? But of course they cant make it 2-3 hits. But its around 10-15.

Now a baseball, also would not get worn out within a few 40-50 hits. It should last a durable amount of time. Same with the armor. 

They showed before 2-3 bullets worn out body armor. And you can see it all messed up. Not true.

However, they do what they like, Im just a bypasser commenting my opinion. 

Anyone else?

They can tweak it when it gets released, its not like the values are set in stone.  A blow to the head will not instantly kill someone unless you compromise the skull (aka make the brain go squish), that's not to say they won't be having a bad day, but it won't be an instant kill.  And unless you have whoever your hitting with the bat's head against a solid surface, the head is going to move to in the same direction you are hitting it from.  As we said before the melee weapons are location based hits now, and not cursor based.  So just because your aiming at the head and swinging does not mean your hitting the head, your hitting the arm, or the shoulder, or whatever the weapon runs into first.  Also most ballistics vests can only stop 1-2 rounds of non AP ammo before it's compromised (especially a civilian vest which is what most media/press types would be considered/able to afford).  It's not an EOD suit that can take a point blank impact from a grenade.  Again this can all be tweeked or retextured later on for balance.

Surely a baseball bat to the head could easily knock a person out, to the torso it might not be so useful.

But surely a single baseball bat hit should be a knockout hit to the head.

Especially if you can knock somebody out with your fists.

And if you're gonna be team bashing zombies you should probably have some sort of helmet anyway.

To make head protection slightly easier to get, while being realistic some simple bicycle helmets would be nice.