Karmaterror

Buildings with Security Systems

Heres my idea,

Some buildings have a security system, its an alarm that will go off and attract zombies when you open the door. There could be a way to disarm the alarm but it would require 2 players (maybe some buildings that need 3 or 4). For 2 players you could have an alarm box on the back of the building. If the wire in the box is cut and the door opened within, say, 5 seconds of each other the alarm wont go off. With more complicated systems theres more to be done at the same time.

If you decide to go in alone and set the alarm off, not only will players hear it but it could also attract zombies. Maybe a scilent simulated as50 round (400m audiable range I think) would be good to pull the agro ....imagine what it would pull in a big city.

The alarms could be random, and you have to check the alarm box to see if its active. That way its not always the same buildings with alarms. Might help encourage some teaming up.

Most buildings you open a door and punch in a code, there's no running around etc, and if you cut a wire, it will trip the alarm.

Plus, in the apocalypse, batteries would die, and power would be out. Not very effective.

• Like 2

There would be some believable way they could make us have to split up to open it im sure. I did think about the power thing....if its not that long after the "event" then power should still be up to a degree. Im no expert but I think bigger security systems (like in shops/ warehouses) have backup batteries for the event of power cuts and such. There ya go....one has to cut the wire to shut off the system, and one has to cut the wire for the backup battery. If not done together one would trip the alarm :)

Backups only work for a few days not for a week/weeks nor months. Even larger hospitals are in trouble if they don't get the main electricity running within 3 days or get more fuel for the generators.

If zombies are just infected humans....then they carnt really survive for more than a month without food. So dayz has to be taking place a few weeks after infection...maybe a month but not more than 2. So say it takes 2 weeks before main power fails (though im sure iv seen posts saying the power plants can go for a lot longer) Then everything switches to backup battreys. Im sure the battery could last a couple of weeks.

I want more PvE risks, more things that make us team up to get access to things. Maybe a makeshift alarm, that looks more like a survivor cobbled it together. Maybe a car alarm system quickly connected to a car battery with a tripwire to activate. Bit like the flare trip wires we already have, but something that makes noise and attracts zeds big time, making disarming it the preferred option over taking your chances alone. Dissarrming it would need 1 guy at the battery and 1 at the wire. Maybe the car battery is in some junk out the back of the house....and the tell as to wether its alarmed is some wires going in trough the window.

I don't think battery would die. They don't die until you have used them up.  Plus people have generators.  I have two that could run almost the entire house.  I think generators and certain items needing power would be a good addition to base building in standalone.  Add more reasons to have that precious fuel.  

Also it would be VERY easy to make a alarm system.  Just need some wires and some bells really.  

Edited by harley001

Great idea! However maybe for Epoch or Origins. Can't see this getting put into DayZ standalone any time soon. But maybe for one of the many mods for DayZ.

I don't think battery would die. They don't die until you have used them up.  Plus people have generators.  I have two that could run almost the entire house.  I think generators and certain items needing power would be a good addition to base building in standalone.  Add more reasons to have that precious fuel.  

Also it would be VERY easy to make a alarm system.  Just need some wires and some bells really.  

Crafting an alarm system would be cool.

Being able to craft a zombie distraction device with it would be pretty sweet too. Set it on a timer so it goes off just before you want to loot somewhere.... Or maybe you could gaffer tape your zombie distraction device to another player before sending them on their way or sneak it in their backpack... Cooool

Edited by DoctorBadSign

So say it takes 2 weeks before main power fails (though im sure iv seen posts saying the power plants can go for a lot longer) Then everything switches to backup battreys. Im sure the battery could last a couple of weeks.

Maybe a car alarm system quickly connected to a car battery with a tripwire to activate. Bit like the flare trip wires we already have, but something that makes noise and attracts zeds big time, making disarming it the preferred option over taking your chances alone. Dissarrming it would need 1 guy at the battery and 1 at the wire. Maybe the car battery is in some junk out the back of the house....and the tell as to wether its alarmed is some wires going in trough the window.

Batteries don't hold that long with that kind of power consumption. Keep your lights on over night and see if you can start your engine in the morning, my former boss had something small consuming energy in his car, it was emptied every other day. And backups only work as long as you have fuel to power the generator and if you run a generator for too long you risk damage from overheating and i want to see how many zombies one might attract with that kind of noise...

The battery would have 0% consumption until the tripwire was tripped. Its really simple circuit goes from battery to tripwire with the noisemaker from the alarm system....but the circuit is left incomplete. Then when the tripwire is tripped that's when its completed and there would still only be a small drain on the battery until someone realised what they had done and ran to the batt and disconnected it.

It would also be really easy to use IR sensors to make alarm triggers....there everywhere.....kids science sets, toys, any supermarket that has automatic doors, they also would not drain a battery. No need for generators. Origionaly I did think more large scale, but now it getting smaller batterys would do jus fine.

we could even collect the bits and make stuff like these for our camps, say if you disarm one you can take some of the bits but some were broken when ya tripped/disarmed it. disarm enough you would have all the bits to make your own. Possabilities for uses are endless :)

But id still have them spawn as completed systems on buildings so the challenege is there, not only for the loot in the building, but for the parts to make an alarm if that's what your scavenging for.

Edited by Karmaterror

The battery would have 0% consumption until the tripwire was tripped. Its really simple circuit goes from battery to tripwire with the noisemaker from the alarm system....but the circuit is left incomplete. Then when the tripwire is tripped that's when its completed and there would still only be a small drain on the battery until someone realised what they had done and ran to the batt and disconnected it.

It would also be really easy to use IR sensors to make alarm triggers....there everywhere.....kids science sets, toys, any supermarket that has automatic doors, they also would not drain a battery. No need for generators. Origionaly I did think more large scale, but now it getting smaller batterys would do jus fine.

we could even collect the bits and make stuff like these for our camps, say if you disarm one you can take some of the bits but some were broken when ya tripped/disarmed it. disarm enough you would have all the bits to make your own. Possabilities for uses are endless :)

But id still have them spawn as completed systems on buildings so the challenege is there, not only for the loot in the building, but for the parts to make an alarm if that's what your scavenging for.

you know nothing about security systems, deal with it.

if it was that simple, what would be the point of having one installed on a house?

you know nothing about security systems, deal with it.

if it was that simple, what would be the point of having one installed on a house?

Did you read the thread?....this is an example cobbled together by a survivor using a simple circuit with a car battery and the noisemaker from the alarm. Not a full house install with mains electricity.....seriously kids science sets show you how to make these type of alarm systems, I had one myself when I was younger.

And the use would be to add challenge to looting a house....as I said in OP.

Edited by Karmaterror

Instead of that you know you could just make a combination of probably 4 cans and a string line and make an old fasioned alarm system. It clanks when someone runs through it, or something. I would actually suggest this, considering it's realistic, and smart.

I like the idea of cans on strings, that should defo go in. But to me that's more something you put over the entrance of a building to let you know if you get followed in by something. I think it would be cool with alarms if mass agro came after you if it gets tripped, and every player in the city knows your there, then it would make sense to work with the guy you just bumped into to disarm it ;)

I don't think this would fit.

all the buildings are looted anyway. 

And you are really just scavenging for leftovers.

NONO!! I heard rocket has disassembled a M1 Abrams and scattered all the parts in Chernarus. Just have to find them...and all the screws. :lol: