Sign in to follow this  
dgeesio

rocket wants feedback on server tools

okay rocket says he wants/wanted feedback on Standalone server tools.

please add what you want to know about and see if any of the devs or the man himself will help us find out what may or may not be included.

heres 3 questions i would like to know about.

so basic questions that should be answered about tools -

Q- Can admin see your place on map live ?

Q- Can admin give gear or spawn gear for him or others (including vehicles when in ) ?

Q- Will other server tools be allowed ? so say a server group/hosting company makes a 3rd party viewing tool will that be banned or stopped? some companies have made server tools that show 24/7 positions and many admins use this currently.

lets keep this about questions and not i dont abuse tools or this or that just questions or feedback on what you would like to know about the " server tools " when added.

• Like 1

I say truth

if admin tool exist like you saying dgeesio I don't buy SA

I feel SICK of the abuse I seeing is legal HACKING BULLSHIT!!! >:(

is give too much power too much temptation and is ruin servers same like script bitches is make game joke on guys who play honest way >:(

here is question

will admin have power for teleport? >:(

Edited by KoS
  • Like 3

To answer your questions in a classy and mature way:

I have posted a video before somewhere on here.. how an admin could even see the path you took to where you are now with 30sec updates, he could see your inventory, where the vehicles are on the map and spawn himself with any type of gear(thats now impossible with the new MMO architecture). 

My perfect DayZ experience would have official servers only. Or people who will just host a server with no tools at all. Not even an off /reset switch to flip when they are butt hurt about being killed. Edited by PXXL
  • Like 3

thing that really is bothering me is say he says no exploits by the dev team tools will be allowed then a 3rd party makes a tool like now for eg and that is just used by most admins. what is to stop this happening few months after release for eg?

will servers get black listed if they use 3rd party tools ?

basically dont want to be sold on a no exploit rule so buy game on that promise then a 3rd party group make a tool because someone will guarenteed ! then ive paid for the same shit all over again ! it may not of been done by the dev team and there word and promise is kept  but the game will still be screwed because of the 3rd party ap or tool/s.

this needs to be commented on here not reddit ! we are here ! this is Dayz Official Forums. :D

• Like 1

okay rocket says he wants/wanted feedback on Standalone server tools.

Give the source or I call:

• Like 1

give the source it was on reddit ages ago and he wanted our opnions on server tools and what we wanted. im not linking to reddit as this is the official place not reddit ! .

give the source it was on reddit ages ago and he wanted our opnions on server tools and what we wanted. im not linking to reddit as this is the official place not reddit ! .

Yeah, right.  <_<

If it's ages old anyway why would you bring it up again in the first place? It's out of date, unnecessary and as long as you don't have a source noone will even believe you.

• Like 1

Yeah, right.  <_<

If it's ages old anyway why would you bring it up again in the first place? It's out of date, unnecessary and as long as you don't have a source noone will even believe you.

20 days ago http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1qemns/i_dont_think_pc_gamer_really_understood_what/cdc5t1b?context=3

• Like 1

Admin tool yes, as modifying the zed spawn, weather, time, lock (or not), reboot, kick and ban.

Its normal for an admin to have a some control on your server I guess. We had a private server on the mod and we were 5 active admin and we were playing fine. Without teleportation or live map or other admin abuse.

We had the anti-hack tool The silent warrior and that all.

If we can have the guaranty to don't get any cheater as tp, item spawn and stuff, I don't see the point to have a live map or the inventory view.

But sometimes, bug can happen (a lot in Dayz ^^) so, a tp or the possibility to give some gear would be nice. But something like a red message is display on the server chat to show to all the player that the admin is doing some stuff to someone. And give the explanation about it, and player will be able to blacklist or not a server for admin abuse after showing a lot of display message for admin abuse.

Something like that.

My perfect DayZ experience would have official servers only. Or people who will just host a server with no tools at all. Not even an off /reset switch to flip when they are butt hurt about being killed.

What is the point of hosting and paying for a server if you can't do shit on it ? oO there will be always admin abuse, but if rocket make a system to prevent those abuse, so it could be fine to have some setting. :)

Thank you very much kind sir. Wasn't too hard after all. :)

Now - I don't think dgeesio understands what rocket means by that. I can't see any of this happening:

Q- Can admin see your place on map live ?

Q- Can admin give gear or spawn gear for him or others (including vehicles when in ) ?

Q- Will other server tools be allowed ? so say a server group/hosting company makes a 3rd party viewing tool will that be banned or stopped? some companies have made server tools that show 24/7 positions and many admins use this currently.

As these tools were ultimately a reason to distrust every administrator in the community. It currently is on a level that any player usually suggests that any administrator having these sort of tools will abuse it leading to a point that people like me can't really enjoy playing on the servers anymore.

If I would play normally they would accuse me of abusing my powers to kill people or to find vehicles / spawn items in. While I understand where it is originating - as the DayZ playerbase has seen too many of these things happening not only by scriptkiddies who usually share the same powers with admins these days (as many admintools are simply taken off hackscripts and executed serverside) - I believe the only thing coming out of this is that players are poisoning their minds with disbelief and distrust against the administrators of the servers they're playing on.

It is easy to call "HAX" or "ABOOSE" these days and if anything like this will have a place in Standalone I will have to think about retiring, as I wouldn't be able to play the game anymore.

This will only lead to communities being leaderless because of tools that shouldn't have a use anywhere, but have to be on any server these days in order to protect it from the imminent threat of the scriptkiddies (that are still out there.) This shouldn't be the case in SA and thus there's no use in any admintools like that.

Back to my first point: I am fairly certain that rocket only meant they haven't developed a usable interfact for Administrators yet so they can restart their servers / set up the name of the server / host servers in general without having the ability to alter anything, as this would require an Administrator Control Panel, possibly web-based and someone has to develop that.

• Like 4

only tools admin need is 'restart server' button

I don't understand what more tools is need :huh:

problem is TOO MANY ADMIN DO ABUSE, IS FACT AND SAD TRAGEDY OF THE MOD >:(

is sad for honest admin, I know kichilron look like 100% honest admin :thumbsup:  :)

but why put something to make abuse possible?

is making no sense

tools for abuse hurt everyone honest player, honest admin :(

admin tools only help only bad admins >:(

Edited by KoS
  • Like 2

just want to play a fair game and not have people have the powers to watch 24/7 whatever you doing. is that too much to ask for ?

you shouldnt have this power whether you own run the server at all ! if someone did this via a hack they would get banned ! yet you can do it legit because you run te server :rolleyes: . its a joke.

there are hundreds of games that are multiplayer and none do this explotation 24/7. its not make believe there are lots of well known videos showing the admin abuse and the reason alot of hacks actually just rent there own servers as its basically unbannable and you can do whatever you want.

tie lock stuff down and just have a anticheat that works like any other mp game not give people extra stuff for being in charge.

• Like 2

What is the point of hosting and paying for a server if you can't do shit on it ? oO there will be always admin abuse, but if rocket make a system to prevent those abuse, so it could be fine to have some setting. :)

Whats the point you ask? Well for the community right? At least that's what admins advertise in here all the time.

It should be the only reason to host a server. 

• Like 2

dayz mod is mod for arma  ;)

all admin abuse is possible because BIS make tools for community so is easy for create new mission and new experience for Arma   

is beautiful thing :thumbsup: :) for arma

but when you have a game is about survive with limit resources but 2 - 3 guys have access to everything what they want and also power for find player and see gear of player etc?

is destroy spirit and integrity of game :(

SA is not Arma, is not design for guys to create mission, mission is survive ;)  only this

is no place here for admin tools

Edited by KoS
  • Like 2

Hi, I would like to have very limited server tools.

I think there should be no tools that can give  an admin advantage over other players.

The tools can be things like, third player view on/off, or something like that.

I think server tools shouldn't include anything regarding player/loot/vehicles location, being able to spawn items teleportation and any kind of tools that can give an administrator advantage over other players.

Edited by Wili

maybe im totally wrong, but either me or some of you slightly misunderstand the purpose of admin tools. though i have not admined DayZ, i did so for other games, thus, what i would like to see from an admin tool (in general), from the top of my head, would be:

- obviously the default functions: start, graceful shutdown, kill, restart, maintenance mode etc.

- CPU (Core) Load monitoring

- GPU Load monitoring on a second thought, probably irrelevant for the SA as the server app probably wont utilize serverside GPU acceleration

- Network Load/Bandwidth monitoring

- HDD Load/Space monitoring

- secure user management incl. granular user priviledges (regarding admin interface access, not players)

- File Management

- Profiles for conf files

- update manager

- detailed log management incl. the ability to create custom filters (regex!), save logs for a customizable amount of time or space

- granular player access control: provisions for multiple access lists based on diverse parameters: GUID, IP range, Client version, latency etc.

- ideally a secure scripting API to enable custom-written 3rd party plugins/tools like for example status monitoring/emergency shutdown/restart from mobile OS

those are a few that come to my mind..

as for those features cited above as "power tools" prone to be abused: those are sometimes the same tools to empower server admins to fight exploits. but as i have not the slightest idea how the servers in the SA actually work, i cannot make any prediction in this regard

Edited by e47
  • Like 1