Cap'n (DayZ)

Rarity of guns will change everything

I've been thinking, if guns are as rare as Rocket is toting them to be, banditry and friendliness will change greatly. Instead of having to kill someone, they can't shoot you (if they're armed with melee), so you can keep your distance and tell them to drop their shit. And when approaching someone with melee, just keeping distance could ensure your survival.

You catch what I'm getting at, homie-g's (sorry skat)?

Or on the other spectrum, it makes shooting other players (whether you call it Banditry or proactive self-defense) even more rewarding when they have a weapon of any variety, due to their increased rarity.

• Like 3

Eh, I have mixed feelings about ammo rarity and the melee system.  Neither will be conclusive for me until I actually experience them first hand in the SA.

I understand the concepts behind ammo rarity, and pretty much agree with them.  At the same time, the SA is built off an engine designed to be a 1st person shooter primarily and with no real melee system.  I understand that Rocket and the SA dev team have worked on the melee system.  Still, the engine wasn't designed for it.  So when it comes down to it, I really don't want to experience a primarily melee style game play in the SA that was built from a shooter engine.

I play a lot of shooters.  I like shooters.  I came to DayZ and loved the mod because it was a zombie apocalypse survival style shooter with good hardcore aspects.  I want the SA to end up as hardcore, or even more hardcore than the original mod or some of the harder mods like Redux.  And I want zombies to actually be a threat instead of a minor nuisance used as a player radar.  But I still want it to be a shooter.  If the SA combat experience ends up largely running around spamming a couple of generic axe swinging animations, I'm going to get bored fairly quickly and end up sticking primarily with the mod.

I just hope they find the right balance.

Edited by H4YW1R3
  • Like 3

Stop with these posts.

You're reminding me of the days when 2017 had population.

I'm sad now.

• Like 1

I've made the experience (in other games of this fashion) that lowering the gun count increases the amount of KoS. Players tend to be more afraid of loosing their awesome gun and will make sure no one will take it.

Maybe it's different with dayz, but I have made bad experiences with another game (that was complete garbage anyways)

Weparo out

Well I've been playing aftermath which has a lot less food, guns and more harder zombies

I thought myself it would make people need to work together but I found it's the normal pvp feat on the coast but with crossbows and winchesters

Not met a single person yet that was friendly and the zombies on there are basically headshot only kills and kill you in about 8-9 hits with mass bleeding

I made it up north and left the game running at NWAF to see if anyone would make it that far

Didn't see a single person all day

I wonder how rare everything will become...rare found too often over time equals a lot in my equation. Unless he changes the type of loot locked to a certain area thing you know who will accumulate the most weapons and ammo to do the same they did in the mod.

Well I've been playing aftermath which has a lot less food, guns and more harder zombies

I thought myself it would make people need to work together but I found it's the normal pvp feat on the coast but with crossbows and winchesters

Not met a single person yet that was friendly and the zombies on there are basically headshot only kills and kill you in about 8-9 hits with mass bleeding

I made it up north and left the game running at NWAF to see if anyone would make it that far

Didn't see a single person all day

Well that's pretty normal unless you change the mentality of the players. The mod is a fragfest even with less loot as long as you find a gun and some ammo you can participate in the shoot-outs. You don't need food since you don't plan to do "survival" anyway. I like the less populated servers since you don't step on a sniper every 10m so you can have both, zombies and either friendly or unfriendly players. It's up to you if you want to fight or evade.

Edited by Enforcer

I don't know about you, but I will take advantage of restraining people, instead of just instantly shooting them. It will cause for some really goodo fun, for both parties. I do hope that guns are rare in the SA.

Edited by AsOiX

I will be happy to don't find a DMR on a firestation or a M4A3 CCO SD in the airport tower every day ! :)

This will definitely lower the rate of KoS (I think so) in the big city.

Of course you will still see some douch do it ^^, but it will be more rare I think. And if the ammo are rare as well, I don't think we are going to find a crazy sniper a lot of time ^^  

You have to consider some other points. It is not only about players; there are zombies too. According to what I read - and I'm quite sure you read it too - the dev team is working to make the zombies become the main threat of the game. If this factor is true, then players will probably save their ammo for emergencies, times that they'll need to shoot in order to survive. Otherwise, they will have no ammo when needed, and then die. Maybe it will be a matter of time for the players to learn this.

Another point to be considered is the gear destruction. If you kill players for their gear, then killing may not be the best option (in this case the best would be ally with the player, maybe he has gear to trade with you or you can group up for a while and help each other, this way you would get better gear and in a faster way).

So, if you kill players for the sake of it, then you probably have a LOT of ammo, acquired over a lot of work in the game. The thing is, if you spent a lot of time in getting this huge amount of loot, you'll probably be too scared of risk losing it in a gunfight, this way you'll avoid PvP; you'll also want to save your ammo in case zombies surround you and you have to kill them.

But you can keep your distance from someone with melee and avoid getting killed. It isn't quite that simple when they have a gun.

It's not going to change anything. People will just murder each other with axes instead.

I'm afraid you're right

But you can keep your distance from someone with melee and avoid getting killed. It isn't quite that simple when they have a gun.

That's true, but they'll just end up chasing you forever, and you'll need to stop at some point.

That's true, but they'll just end up chasing you forever, and you'll need to stop at some point.

Not if you lose them.

I think there is this section o the community, who dont really get the survival in dayz... yah supposed to survive the other players as well as the Z's... saying im hard core dayz, but i want pvp stopped, is totally a  contradictory statement. If yah cant handle a few clowns on the hill at electro, yah need to adjust yah play style, and tactics, because yah survival instincts suck... however they do kinda wreak the experience... but only because all yah have to do to gear up, is run up the valley behind the coast, grab a .303 or whiny at a barn, and shoot a few o em in the back, and yah fully geared.

Making fire arms rare, will make players with fire arms gods, no one will waste bullets on Z's, and it will strongly favor players who have survived long enough to gear... new spawns beware. Im sure It will change other aspects o the game, there will be more sucker kills o course ("im friendly im friendly", join yah group, then thwack, axe to back o head first time you start an animation.... like in the good ole days o dayz)  But PvP is a part o dayz. There is always safety in numbers in this game, and a gang with axes is still gonna slaughter an individual with an axe. And eat his beans.

P.S. im not ripping on peoples choices o play styles, but i do rip on people who want game mechanics to force everyone else to play their play style... but rarity o ammo and fire arms wont do that. So im all for it.