philbottle

DayZ Mod - who still plays?

I've been playing for a year or so. I remember the spring of 2012 when I first started to hear about DayZ and I found some footage on youtube.

At the time I was still mostly a console gamer and only had Civ 5 on my laptop. I badly wanted to play DayZ but didn't think my laptop would be able to handle it.

I spent months drooling over DayZ videos and got really excited when Dean said he planned to make a standalone. I watched and waited for info, I then joined the forum and then my impatience finally won over and I tried installing the mod on my laptop.

Best decision I ever made. My laptop handled DayZ really well on low settings and I could get 30 - 40FPS (outside of cities) but I started hankering to play on a desktop. A nice chap called BF John and another, Aitchy, would educate me on things PC related while playing DayZ and I decided to save up to get a decent rig. John even showed me around a motherboard and how things work so I had a good idea of what I wanted.

So, I'm getting off point, here I am a year or so later and I'm still playing DayZ at least once or twice a week. I just have this need to log in.

I play on a few servers, I have a Takistai warlord on Musty Epoch, a ghillie in the mist on DayZ vanilla public, and various characters on various other mods depending on which map I fancy playing.

How about you guys? What brought you to DayZ  Do you still get on much and if not, why not?

• Like 6

Still jumping on once or twice a week :) Ran around last night with my partner for about four hours...and didn't even get shot  :huh:

• Like 1

im pretty rare ingame now due to work&family, and for me, DayZ is not a game to jump in for twenty minutes.. but i was in more often recently, and enjoyed it totally

• Like 2

Yeah I forgot about that. I often decide which server depending on how long I think I have play-wise.

I do a lot of skulking between the airfields mostly, haven't been to Elektro in ages!

I still play, but only to admin the Musty servers.

Would have probably stopped playing a while ago if it weren't for that and the friends at musty inviting me for fun.

Don't get me wrong! I still love it!

I just want to take a break and make it feel super fresh in DayZ standalone - like Michaelvoodoo25 said.

• Like 3

I get that I suppose but until the SA comes out there's not a lot to compare.

I know a lot of people have been put off by the cod mentality pervasive in many servers and I suppose there's just that fatigue of playing the same game too much and for too long :)

I dunno, I suppose I still get some of that early excitement even now, on those evenings where I'm really engrossed and not being disturbed by the sounds and sirens of hackney via the open window :D

don't get to play often at all anymore due to work, relationship and band commitments, as e47 says above it's not a game i find i can just spend 20 or so minutes playing, if i'm playing i want to play for at least a good few hours. started back in july 2012 when a friend of mine was playing for about a month solid and rarely around on our shortwave IRC group - so i decided to join him and see what this obsession was about. needless to say i was addicted instantly and spent months playing on it all night every night alongside him, only ever stopping to hide in bushes every 20 minutes or so while we roll a joint ^^ magical days that will not be replicated, i ween.

EDIT: oh i should point out, i only like vanilla DayZ - not into all this epoch or overwatch or whatever

Edited by Gwraspe
  • Like 5

wish i could play it because i haven't in a very long time but dayz SA should be like my first time playing dayz

cwarling in the dirt avoiding zeds and shooting anyone who kos people. the good old days

• Like 1

Still play most nights, try to dabble in other games but always come back to dayz, nothing else comes close.

• Like 3

Back in June 2012 a friend told me about it. The next day I watched devildoggamers first episode, shit my pants, bought it and have never looked back.

Like Flux said, I've been playing other games lately, but I always fall back to DayZ.

• Like 2

Still playing once or twice a week with a really good friend of mine, Man I want to be a noob again. I remember not looking dayz up at all and just jumping right in because my friend wanted someone to play with. I remember the sense of fear, not wanting to move because I had no knowledge of anything in the game. Best feeling I ever had in a video game.

Haven't played it in months because it became stale, I'm not excited for the standalone either, just looks like any of the other dayz mods.

Still jumping on once or twice a week :) Ran around last night with my partner for about four hours...and didn't even get shot :huh:

From Deans recent video, looks like you've been playing the real deal...

Haven't played in months. I got sick of my crappy pc. I was fine in low pop servers and in fact it made player encounters even more intense because they were much rarer. But as soon as there were 10 or more players my poor pc just got slower and slower and as we all know, its not fun dying cos you get 10 fps. So now I'm saving up, and waiting for SA.

• Like 1

I play every now and again. Either vanilla or various mods.

Spent a few hours this weekend on a Origins server bandit hunting and eating copious amounts of beans.

BTW, Fallen_ guys, if you read this. When someone starts shooting at you you should probably move.

• Like 1

I'm still all over it administrating and developing this and that. But because of what I'm doing now I rarely get the chance to actually play it and maybe that's good.

I really do still enjoy vanilla and I believe a lot of additions with 1.8 were extremely good and it's unjust of the playerbase to say that there's nothing to do now that crafting was added.

While I understand people that want to test new things out I think most of them went way off track with most of the mods and other mods like Despair go in the right direction. Now - if only it wouldn't be night all the time.

• Like 2

I've tapered off a bit lately but I've been hittin' it hard last six months or so since the hackers left. Been a blast, straight up.

• Like 1

I've tapered off a bit lately but I've been hittin' it hard last six months or so since the hackers left. Been a blast, straight up.

and they told me hackers were miths

• Like 1

i played vanilla dayz on hardcore hives mainly on byrgesen, mydayz server, those were closed and nowadays there are no real good vanilla dayz server that are hardcore or at least kinda full 30-40 players without crosshairs etc. ( i detest crosshairs), so i play the only server i know thats left so far dayzero se2 from time to time, i dont play as much as i used to but as said thats because of the server settings, i dont like to play on an empty server with myself.

epoch etc. i cant get myself to play it, no real dayz feeling,t rading post everyone has night vision etc. nah thx

• Like 1

Haven't played in awhile because no time.  Probably will pick it up again once the weather starts getting crappy.

• Like 1

Usually on friday nights, weekends and days off work. DayZ needs time. Can't jump in for like an hour.

• Like 2