Ok so im new to the forum, hi.

I've got most of DayZ down except how the map works, i always seem to get lost. Any tips on how to not get lost and the like?

shift click when you have a map and it will give you a blip to follow in game

But if your a immersive person, just try and land navigate.

Thats how I did it back in the day.

• Like 1

Welcome Mitty-friend. Enjoy the feeling of getting lost while you still can. When everything is new and scary the game is at its best.

Learn the gist of where the main places are on the map and remember - clouds always travel to the east.

Edited by Mayuyu
  • Like 2

Find the coast, open your map. If the coast is on your right, you're facing east... or north... (I haven't played in a while). Find landmarks and go from there. Play a lot in the editor (without DayZ) and get familiar with landmarks in Chernogorsk/Elektrozavodsk (two major loot centers) and how they look on the map. (IE, if you see the International Hotel, you know you're in Cherno)

• Like 2

Welcome Mitty-friend. Enjoy the feeling of getting lost while you still can. When everything is new and scary the game is at its best.

This.

Learn the Russian alphabet. Seriously. 

I took a few Russian language classes in college and knowing what the signs say made my traveling as a noob with a map fairly easy. A lot of them are easy to guess if you don't know the alphabet as a lot of letters are the same but some of the town names are beyond guessing. Every town has a sign on the road into town with it's name. Even if you don't have a compass, if you can read the town names, you should be able to walk into any town, compare the surrounding land features and buildings to the map and find your way to whatever destination you want. 

If you do have a compass even better. If you find yourself in the middle of the map and can't get your bearings down, just pick a direction and keep moving. Eventually you will find a road and that will always lead you to a city if you aren't at the far north of the map.

When I first started playing I randomly decided that the area between Gorka, Gvozdno and Krasnostav would be my home base. Every time I died I would mark one of those cities on the map and head out. Once I had that small area memorized where I could navigate without the map I picked the area between Lopatino and Zelenagorsk and started hanging out there. I kept doing that until I could spawn any where and know exactly where to point my guy in order to make it to any city on the map. 

One final thing I would add is learn where all of the markets are. If you are running around the middle of the map you can easily find yourself starving or suffering from dehydration and knowing where the markets are can be life saving knowledge.

• Like 2

Yeah, if you're SUPER serious about getting good at DayZ I'd recommend learning Russian.

In all seriousness, though. You will be dying a lot so you will begin to recognize the entirety of the coast soon. If you're desperate, abuse the waypoint system on maps with shift-click.

Oh, and welcome to the community. Feel free to PM me for anything you want.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 1

You can use waypoints in the map (shift clicking) or use street signs to figure out where you are. The map is in English but the signs are in Russian so it helps a lot to learn how the alphabet sounds, from there you can quickly sound out and eventually learn the Russian names of places. This helped me a lot http://masterrussian.com/russian_alphabet.shtml 

Good luck  :)

• Like 1

Welcome.

As some have said the best moments are when you are lost and have no clue where you are or what you are doing.

• Like 1

Learn the gist of where the main places are on the map and remember - clouds always travel to the east.

Luck son of a gun

Yup, remember my first day of being lost, didn't know how to use the waypoint blimp. I decided to go North, got a Lee Enfield. Then started to brag in chat how good I am for finding that gun, shot a lot of zombies, bragged about my zombie count, then after I moved so much up north, I figured out the blimp system and found myself at the most top left corner of the map, and died. ;(

Starting off with a controller, I didnt have enough buttons to map out in order to use the Waypoint option. Too many other important buttons. By the time I switched to m+k I had learned navigation by terrain so I didnt really even think about using waypoints.

Does it make a marker pop up in game for navigation. Like Skyrim, for example, that gives you a navigation marker?

Edited by electricfuneral

Does it make a marker pop up in game for navigation. Like Skyrim, for example, that gives you a navigation marker?

Edit:

sahbdahsd

Yes. It appears in-game and points the direction as well as shows how far left to travel.

Edited by Mayuyu
  • Like 1

If the server you are playing on doesn't start you with a map (most don't), then check out the grocery stores. That's probably the most likely place to find a map, then set waypoints (If they are enabled on the server), as others suggested. Eventually you'll know the lay of the land so well you won't even need a map to get around.

nothing works right I got killed by the blood not working right I never even seen the map mate

• Like 1

nothing works right I got killed by the blood not working right I never even seen the map mate

Blood not working right?

people don't talk about this but here is the old school way to do it.  If you have a map and a compass here is what you do.  Place the compass on the map over where you think you are and then look at the degree line you would need to take to get to the town or base you are heading.  When you close the map open up the compass and walk in the direction of the degree heading you got from looking at the map.  You do need some common sense to look for land marks and road ways but doing that will get u there 90% of the time without issue and when you get good at it, it will be second nature.

• Like 2

people don't talk about this but here is the old school way to do it.  If you have a map and a compass here is what you do.  Place the compass on the map over where you think you are and then look at the degree line you would need to take to get to the town or base you are heading.  When you close the map open up the compass and walk in the direction of the degree heading you got from looking at the map.  You do need some common sense to look for land marks and road ways but doing that will get u there 90% of the time without issue and when you get good at it, it will be second nature.

Exactly this.  There's a reason why the game puts your nav tools over the map screen.  I'm always suprised to find out how many people don't know there's more to a compass than just the cardinal directions, and how to use the degrees to navigate or call out locations of things.  Honestly, the compass is one of the best tools in the game.

I would say though, most important of all is finding yourself on the map.  Use landmarks such as buildings, roads, powerlines, lakes, hills/mountains, and even the more subtle things like the shapes of the land and treeline locations.  This is pretty easy while still on the coast as it severely narrows down where you could be, then just keep a sense of direction and contantly double check this with landmarks as you move along.  Thankfully when you log in, you get a pretty good idea of where you are, unless it's "wilderness", in which case HAVE FUN!

This is how you navigate with a map and compass in real life I believe.

If you do not have a map or compass, put your back to the water and run till you see high power lines.  Does not matter which way you go, they all have good loot locations at both ends.  One even runs you right past Stary.

I used to do the shift click thing on the map but if the water is on your right, youre facing east or north, if on your left your facing south or west. Youll get realll farmiliar with the coast soon enough.

Everything comes with time. After so long I still dont know the villages in the middle... I have a trick for the roadsigns. It almost always work with me. You read the sign. Count the letters and then try to match it with the english name. You should know the english names well though. Knowing your whereabouts also helps. With a bit of practice, it becomes quite handy.

Well, I guess it all comes to knowing the map.

You had your post, it got closed for a reason... leave it alone. When you have learned how to be polite and maybe how to provide the right information so that people can at least try and help you then please come back and we would be happy to do so.