Sign in to follow this  
sono8ichi@gmail.com

New(ish) loot system help

I have been playing off and on again for a year or so, and i have been doing just fine in the looting sense. About a month ago, i thought the loot on any particular server was getting outrageous (as in being able to find 8 guns in the balota military tents, and just generally tons of loot everywhere). I was a little glad when i saw that there wasnt as much loot laying around anymore, but ultimately didnt know anything about the new loot spawns. I ultimately thought it was broken when running around as a new character and couldnt find anything along some of the more remote ares of the coast, not even a can of beans. i kept playing, having made it to cherno and found some food and water, but no weapons, which i was fine with. I then traveled up to stary and berezino, checking the good military spawns, and not finding a single gun. This is when i stopped playing, waiting for another patch.

I started playing again last night, finding a new update, and the same low spawn rates. I got one answer on the server i was on about a time based loot spawn, but couldnt get anything else. so i searched google for some vague terms. couldnt find anything. so i searched youtube real quick but stopped after nine out of ten videos were about hacks. and now im here.

TL;DR- I'm bambi again and don't know how the loot spawns work. help please?

• Like 1

There's lots of loot everywhere. Check fire stations, supermarkets, bars and hangars. 

It would be interesting to know, whether you have been playing on one particular server the entire time or tried multiple ones. Because it really makes a difference.

Is it safe to assume that you have been playing actual DayZ (Currently Version 1.8.0.3?)

Basically the way the lootsystem works is that you enter an area and you trigger the lootspawns (Only when approaching on foot, as you do not trigger loot when arriving in a vehicle and then jumping out)

If you arrive in a vehicle it wouldn't work, as loot is actually only triggered when there's someone outside a certain radius, but yet within a slightly bigger radius.

If there's no loot whatsoever (Empty Tin Cans count as loot) you can try running out of the area and about 200-300 meters away and then return.

When you first triggered loot and felt like there's not enough or even pick up a couple of things you need and thus emptying lootpiles you would have to wait 15 minutes since you first approached the area and leave and come back again.

The way it works is you trigger a timer when you first approach the lootspawn making it not spawning loot again within the next 15 minutes.

I hoped that helped, but you have to understand that this is a very complex thing and if you have further questions feel free to ask them at any time.

EDIT: why bother? Someone has written down everything you would need to know about lootspawns already and better than I could ever explain.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 1

It would be interesting to know, whether you have been playing on one particular server the entire time or tried multiple ones. Because it really makes a difference.

Is it safe to assume that you have been playing actual DayZ (Currently Version 1.8.0.3?)

Right, I usually only play on regular dayz hive servers, and usually stick around in the same server for several weeks at a time, and at any point in time have 3-4 servers i like and get good ping on.

as far as i know the servers ive been playing on have all been vanilla, no mods. and over the course of the last several months when i was playing, i was seeing an incredible amount of loot everywhere. and then suddenly a patch hit back in october that made things seem to chill out with the spawns. i was mostly ok with it becase my character has been survival ready for ages. plenty of food, water, guns and ammo.

until 3 weeks ago i didnt need to actually go into town except to get blood bags and other general medical supplies. after making a trip into berezino for the hospital, i found mothing but 3-4 tin cans, 2 bandages, and a couple morphine injectors. i cleared out the loot, and then waited for the stuff to respawn, and only got more cans. I switched servers, and did this on 2 other servers, yielding nothing but cans and bandages. This is when i stopped playing waiting for another update.

i see that something changed with the loot, but couldnt find any explaination as to what.

I am continuing playing, but still on a never ending search for blood bags it seems.

• Like 1

i see that something changed with the loot, but couldnt find any explaination as to what.

In 1.8 the loot has been changed drastically and has been revamped completely. You no longer have trashpiles -there's only generic loot, but the trash is in the generic lootpiles now. That results in having lootpiles with empty tin cans and food in one pile. So you have to search every lootpile to make sure you're not missing anything.

That is basically what was changed and at the same time loot has been reduced drastically, because it was (just like you said) too much in general.

You will still be able to find tons of food and drinks in grocery stores, but I find that hospitals generate WAY less loot than they used to.

In short: What you describe is what I would consider "normal".

In short: What you describe is what I would consider "normal".

Well thanks for your help, it was worth looking into. I guess im going to have to keep hitting up hospitals frequently until i get stashed back up.

• Like 1

Think of it as spinning a wheel to try and win the jackpot. It's really all it is. I myself struggle a lot to find anything. A backpack seems highly elusive.

I did a test last night to see how i as a player affect loot. I found some mty cans and left the scene. Went to another, picked up the loot. I then ate a can and lefy it in the spawn.

After 15 mins i went to the first spawn. Those same cans were still there. At the second spawn mu empty cam was still there.

Basically I didn't trigger another engine-generated spawn.

Basically my conclusion was that I took loot and lefy trash wherever I go, and you come along the same route, all you'll find is mu ttash. You will have to clean it out and amd wait.

Soundz like a dirtu yactic, but effective, so now I play like that. I only clear out if i plan to come back the same way.

And all things beinh random, and so many possibilities for loot, there really is only a small chance for anything to spaw. Like 40% or so.

Just don't hang around too much in one place and weigh the risks. And where yhete are loads of zombies, I found thT there's usually very good loot, with a high chance of dying.

I just saw my horrible spelling. Sorry. Can't wait for a bigger phone.

I haven't played for a year and just started up again today but I'm finding food like crazy. Every house I go to, whether it's some random house in the country or in a city has like 2-3 cans of food and a couple sodas. I liked it before when you were new and barely not starving to death and dying of thirst until you got yourself a canteen and some tools to hunt and what not.

Is surviving now just way easier in general interms of the surival items you need being easier to get or did I just happen to get lucky finding so much food/drinks that fast?

JPK

Hunting through town 30 mins from a restart is pointless on some servers. Bad timing maybe.

Some I've played on seem to choke, get ignored by zeds and only find flares and piles of wood everywhere.

Your talking about trying to farm loot though aren't you? Not really a good thing if the goal is authentic game play

Edited by RogueNZ

Is maybe a problem stemming from mod being detached from BIS and never having, because it didn't need it for popularity, some overall marketing strategy and community relations management. We don't see on the front page some sort of updates or positioning statements allowing uninitiated players some general info. So here I go!

First, we want to remind you that the mod has been community developed for some time now under the general directive to "mix things up". Razor and his collaborators are generally free to try out all manner of tweaking. So the mod has changed quite drastically if you haven't played in awhile. But don't worry, it is still fun. Think of it as a whole new game. Embrace that chance to feel completely lost again. I don't personally enjoy all of the new changes, especially 1.8 related, but I do enjoy them in the spirit of innovation and seeing what kinds of scenarios might be interesting for the SA while incurring no negative cost to the SA. 

Surviving isn't necessarily easier now than it was before; just different. As you notice, cans of food are everywhere. That's because zed damage has increased. Earlier, zed damage was low but zeds quite frequently gave you an infection, which was a near death sentence for most players. I haven't been infected once since 1.8. I used to carry 3 antibiotics with me at all times, all times. 

Surviving is easier with 1.8. I can't deny that. But also most of the hackers are gone! The fact that one can actually walk from Balota to Zelenogorsk without getting thunderdomed is still a fucking miracle. Just remember