HoboWithAGlock

The Importance of CHKilroy

Some people got in contact with DayZ thanks to him' date=' others trough SideStrafe, others from some message boards, word of mouth, websites, etc. Saying that CHKilroy is the reason of DayZ popularity is an overwhelming exaggeration in my opinion.

[/quote']

This. Calling him the 'catalyst' for Day Z's popularity perhaps goes a little too far, and does a desservice to the developers who worked so hard. That's not to say Killroy hasn't had a big impact of course. I imagine anyone who watched those first two videos started downloading Day Z on the spot. Seriously, they're incredible. I like his Mount & Blade stuff too.

That video is the reason why I went out and bought Arma: CO in the first place. He was definitely the reason why I joined.

I have seen many comments saying the videos were more compelling than the walking dead. I honestly think there is truth to that. They will be formally recognized in the game, in some way, yet to be determined.

• Like 1

it would be kind of cool to have bodies where they died with their names, or like the crashed choppers they can be "secret" loot areas that randomly show up.

SideStrafe and Kotaku are why i'm here. I watched CHKilroy's first episode of "The Days ahead" and found him to be unbelievably annoying

CHKilroy's videos were certainly the catalyst' date=' and I'm guessing Rocket would agree with that.

was invited to try out DayZ at a time when it was peaking at 5-10 people accord to Rocket (USEC I assume?), and after posting the first 'Days Ahead', it went wild from there. I have no doubt that
sowed the seeds that caused it to explode from there - it was easy for us to see, having been there before and having watched it progress steadily. The actual DayZ trailer includes footage from that same set of ShackTac sessions, actually - you can hear several of our members talking throughout it.

It worked out very well for ShackTac also - those who have viewed the 'Days Ahead' series tend to check out the other ShackTac-oriented videos from CHKilroy, myself, and other members, and we've seen a surge in quality applicants because of that.

In the end I'm sure DayZ would have taken off regardless of the 'Days Ahead' series, but at the same time, the quality of it, the timing, and the popularity certainly accelerated DayZ's rise to insane heights. Props to CHKilroy for cutting a great event into a very memorable set of videos. Thanks to Rocket for giving us the opportunity to take a crack at it in such an early state, too. :)

Dslyecxi! Haha, awesome. Yeah Killroy's vids brought me here. And this here man was the co-star!

His vids not only brought me here, but got me to buy arma 2 and Operation:arrowhead to play it.

I have seen many comments saying the videos were more compelling than the walking dead. I honestly think there is truth to that. They will be formally recognized in the game' date=' in some way, yet to be determined.

[/quote']

Lol believe it or not playing this mod got me to go watch that series. Now I'm pissed that season 3 hasn't started yet!

I already had CO but I heard of the mod, and thought "Zombies? meh" but then I seen some videos, not sure if it was killroy but the guy was over reacting, very dramatic lol so I downloaded DayZ. I think that counts.

I love the series too, and I try not to call them walkers.. they are sprinters!

never heard about him' date=' nobody I know has either. doesn't mean he hasn't brought in people, but making a thread exclusively about him? wtf?

[/quote']

This.

Rockpapershotgun and Kotaku introduced me to the mod, and I was mildly interested. I scouted Youtube and found CHKilroy, who showed me how fun the game could be with a group. So I showed the videos to some of my friends.

Don't know about calling him the main catalyst, but I know that CHKilroy is indirectly responsible for at least 4 Combined Operations purchases.

CHKilroy is the reason I bought Arma 2, just for this game. Thankyou CHKilroy, thankyou Bohemia, and thankyou DayZ devs!

Not to be rude, but seriously? How about the importance of the Dev team.. Give credit where credit is due. Yes people making youtube videos showcase the mod, but when brilliance of this calibre generates this mod, it will gain recognition almost no matter what.

Not to be rude' date=' but seriously? How about the importance of the Dev team.. Give credit where credit is due. Yes people making youtube videos showcase the mod, but when brilliance of this calibre generates this mod, it will gain recognition almost no matter what.

[/quote']

People are giving credit where credit is due. The vast majority of the exposure of this mod is due to the Dayz ahead video series

I saw his videos on youtube after a friend linked me to it. I watched upto part 6 or something i think, Thought it looked cool and i bought it instantly off steam.

I'm happy to have helped make this mod known, but all credit truly goes to Rocket and his team (and BI). They put in the blood sweat and tears, what I did was nowhere near as difficult as them :)

I'm sure I'm responsible for starving my first character to death. I couldn't log in for a week after uploading the first episode because the old 30 person server was constantly full. That said, DayZ truly exploded as soon as more servers were opened, allowing more people to play, post and create content about their experiences. Buzz generates buzz, and people love zombies. The success was inevitable.

• Like 1

Was wondering what the MOD was about when I reinstalled ARMA 3-4 weeks ago to play some good ol' Domination. All servers on the multiplayer screen only had 5-10 people on then, apart from the 5 DayZ servers that were completely full :huh:

Went to this page to check it out and now I'm totally addicted *woohoo*

A big cudos to CHKilroy, he's videos are very entertaining. And Dslyecxi's videos are filled with educational stuff and extreme piloting. (I hope Eby is doing well mate)

I can honestly say I've watched everything they've posted about ARMA on Youtube.

I found out about the game initially from the Darkfall off topic forums, a MMO with sandbox elements and a PvP focus. Lots of guys got interested, including me, but I wanted to see some action before I spent 30 dollars. I looked it up on YouTube and found CHKillroy's vids, and I instantly loved the game. After spending a night watching his vids and some other DayZ vids, I bought the game.

He was the reason I bought it really.

I think it's great that someone's finally voiced their appreciation of CHKilroy's contribution to the DayZ community's massive growth. His videos were brought to my attention on a forum I visit and I was enthralled, causing me to buy the game.

Kudos to CHKilroy!

I have no idea who this guy is. I don't spend copious amounts of time watching youtube, or "streams". I found Dayz on the first day the mod was hosted, because I've owned Arma for sometime, and I like to try out every mod I see in the server list.

I saw the mod mentioned on a Forum. Went to youtube and found Kilroy's Videos about it. They really got me hooked. Bought the game subscribed to his channel.

I'm happy to have helped make this mod known' date=' but all credit truly goes to Rocket and his team (and BI). They put in the blood sweat and tears, what I did was nowhere near as difficult as them :)

I'm sure I'm responsible for starving my first character to death. I couldn't log in for a week after uploading the first episode because the old 30 person server was constantly full. That said, DayZ truly exploded as soon as more servers were opened, allowing more people to play, post and create content about their experiences. Buzz generates buzz, and people love zombies. The success was inevitable.

[/quote']

Since you are here, when will the next Parts come up of the Series? :D

I have seen many comments saying the videos were more compelling than the walking dead. I honestly think there is truth to that. They will be formally recognized in the game' date=' in some way, yet to be determined.

[/quote']

CHKilroy beer.

I found out about Dayz while playing Arma2 on the 15th meu public server. Somebody was talking about how all the players had gone to play something with zombies. I thought, huh, might as well do a search on youtube. I then saw Killroys videos, and decided to download the mod.