Sign in to follow this  
Þolveremorta

Very basic questions from someone both new to arma2 and dayz

Hello there. I had the will to try out this simulator from a long way as of now, and guess what, I believe I'm even more interested into exploring this mod first, rather than the base game. I'm a huge fan of the zombie genre and realistic stuff, and I would like to have some easy answers about the matter if possible. Thanks in advance.

1) arma 2 needs to be patched to the latest update?

2) What's the best way to download the mod (and keep it up to date) - and why? - from your point? play with six or dayz commander?

3) Are there any roleplay servers?

Edited by Þolveremorta

1.  You need Arma 2 Combined Operations

2.  DayZ commander all the way.  Easiest to use and find servers

3.  Yes there are several RP servers.  Check out the private hives section on the forums.  You'll find one there.

Edited by Skat3rat
  • Like 2

1.) You need Arma 2: COmbined Operations, which includes Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead. You can also get some DLC's which mainly provide better textures for the DayZ mod. (and some cool SP missions!)

2.) DayZ commander, it includes all popular and some lesser known mods and is easy to use.

3.) Yes, there are some, but they won't give you the proper DayZ feeling. I'd recommend you to start playing on official hive or vanilla private hive servers (use the filters of DayZcommander to find the servers you want.)

• Like 2

NO! IT ALWAYS TELLS ME "BAD VERSION CONNECTION REJECTED" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! IS THAT WHAT I PAYED 40 BUCKS FOR?! REALLY?!!?!?!?!?!!??!

NO! IT ALWAYS TELLS ME "BAD VERSION CONNECTION REJECTED" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! IS THAT WHAT I PAYED 40 BUCKS FOR?! REALLY?!!?!?!?!?!!??!

Hi.  Please don't hijack somebody elses topic.

Browse the forums and refer to the troubleshooting area for help with your issue.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

What do you mean, more precisely?

DayZ is supposed to be an open-world sandbox game/mod, there should be no rules. If you want to, you can play on these servers, I'm just stating my own opinion, which equals to the one of many others though.

Also, in the beginning, just start playing, don't look up any tutorials and stuff like that, you will never have the same feeling of your first 50h in DayZ again.

• Like 2

1.) You need Arma 2: COmbined Operations, which includes Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead. You can also get some DLC's which mainly provide better textures for the DayZ mod. (and some cool SP missions!)

Which DLC provide the better textures?

Thank you

• Like 1

Thank you

Private military company, and British Armed Forces.

• Like 1

Thank you

Private Military Collection provides better textures for the hero and survivor skin.

The British Armed Forces provide better textures for the camo clothing, and ghillie suit. 

• Like 1

Thank you, I am buying as soon as I get my new pc, these can be purchased from bohemia websit still I hope. Or steam?

these can be purchased from bohemia websit still I hope. Or steam?

Looks like its available on either.

I've downloaded dayz commander. More questions:

1) I can see there are various Dayz mods on the search filter what does that mean?

2) So - as far as I got it - there's one official server made from the authors of the mod and then many more private servers right?

3) I can see various roleplay servers using the filter, is there a list or a dedicated thread on these boards for them?

• Like 1

The sloth said it best. p.s. id start on vanilla server, its the "real" DayZ experience so to speak.

Yes I would agree with that, for a newcomer to the game its your best chance of 'interaction' with other players, as you all begin unarmed. Met some cool characters on the coast playing vanilla & had a wee chat with them before going our seperate ways, if PvP aint your priority, go for vanilla. Theres a small but better chance of meeting proper 'friendlies' than elsewhere.

Well, in order to understand how the whole server thing works first you must understand the concept of server hives. A server hive is a group of servers, spread around the world possibly, all sharing the same database. That's where your character gets saved, all your gear, all your stats. So when playing on a server which is part of a hive, if this server goes down you can instantly join another one also part of that hive and you'll keep on playing from the point you logged off the previous server.

The official DayZ mod servers (called vanilla usually) are part of the public hive. There are hundreds (or thousands) of them, all around the world, all sharing the same database. They are not owned by the developers, BIS or any company. They are owned and maintained by normal people/communities/clans, as long as they obey some rules. No modifying, not adding vehicles/weapons, no admin abuse etc. You can read how server naming shows its location/features here.

Private servers on the other hand are servers not part of the public hive, usually not part of any hive (there are some private hives though), each one having its own database. So if you are playing on a private one and it shuts down because the owner ran out of money or time to maintain it then you are instantly losing your character/progress/gear. Of course there are pros too when it comes to private servers, this way you can be playing with the same people if you like coop, you can have multiple avatars/characters (you can be playing as a hero on one and as a bandit on another) etc.

Private servers can be either vanilla DayZ mod, DayZ mod with tweaks and additions (scripts, addons, extra features), another mod based on DayZ mod, another map etc. For more info on different mods of DayZ mod and different maps you can go here and scroll down to "DayZ Mods" and "Additional Maps". It's a bit outdated but you'll understand the difference of mods and maps. You can download all of these extra mods and maps with DayZ Commander.

I know nothing about roleplaying.

Edited by h3l1x
  • Like 1

2) So - as far as I got it - there's one official server made from the authors of the mod and then many more private servers right?

Not quite - there's a single public official "hive", which all non-private vanilla servers connect to.  This public hive tracks a single character, his position, equipment etc, across all of the public hive servers.  Now things like vehicles or tents that you build are tied to that specific server, but anything you can carry can be moved from server to server on the public hive.

Private hives run their own set of data, so they're their own little world, where everything you collect while playing there exists is only on that server.  Private hives can also enforce various rules like no PvP or make extensive modifications to the gameplay experience that public hive servers aren't allowed to do.  All of the various and sundry "mods of the mod" you can see in DayZ Commander's "Install/Update" window also run on private servers

To find only servers connected to the official public hive, click "Hide unofficial" in Commander's server filter

edit: arrgh ninja'ed by hours :( that'll teach me to open a thread, play DayZ for awhile and then reply without refresh

Edited by Toku

1. You can use either arma 2 combined operations or you can do a combination of Arma 2 Free and Arma 2 operation arrowhead.

Note: DayZ Standalone has appeared on the DayZ database, and it will be out very soon! If i were you, I would wait!

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/23/dayz-standalone-in-steam-database-hall-says-progress-very-good/

2. I recommend DayZ commander. It's simple to use, and it is very easy to install all versions of the DayZ mod using it. You can also update your arma 2 versions. Additionally, you can find servers easily and add certain ones to a favorites list. It's great.

3. There are roleplaying servers.

Edited by carbine781

Hi, Polvermorta, welcome to the forums.

H3 gives a pretty good explanation above. 

Some servers are linked so when you join any of them you have the same character in the same place with the same stuff, and as you do stuff all the servers on that "hive" save your information to the same database.

Whereas some servers are individual or part of private hives and you will have a different character on each of those, or across any shared ones.

Basic dayzmod maps are called Chernarus.  There are other mods such as Epoch and Overwatch (my personal favourite because it has lots of loots, weapons and vehicles to collect.)  There are many others too. 

I suggest you experiment.  Make sure download the relevant versions of updates and check on dayz commander to ensure you have the right one for the servers you want to try.

I won't say which ones I prefer or I'll end up with another post being hidden. Good luck and ask if you have more questions. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

H3 gives a pretty good explanation above.

h3l1x, not H3, I'm not a robot yet :P