Sign in to follow this  
Phate4219 (DayZ)

Blood Types - Adds realism and dynamism to DayZ.

tl;dr - Change blood bags so each player spawns with a blood type, and there's a type of bag for each type. Players can refill blood bags after use to transfuse other players with a set amount of blood (4000). Blood returned from food reduced from 800 to 200, and from 200 to 50, for meat and canned food respectively. Added 1 blood per minute regen, even while offline, as long as you aren't starving. The change adds realism and dynamism to the game without making it more or less difficult significantly.

I'd like to propose a change to the way blood bags currently work. I think this change will increase the realism of the game, but also make the game slightly smoother to play. Let me explain the system I've come up with:

1.) Blood Bag item removed. This is of course to be replaced with the new blood bags.

2.) 4 New Blood Bag type items added, Blood Bag (A), Blood Bag (B), Blood Bag (O), and Blood Bag (AB). Blood Bags now only restore 4000 blood instead of automatically going to 12000.

3.) On character creation, each player is assigned a blood type randomly. No need for positive/negative specification, just letter type. These would be based on the real world percentages of each blood type: http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-types

4.) Players can only receive a transfusion from a bag of the same type as their own. No system for "Universal Donor" or "Universal Recipient" types, so O bags don't work for everyone, only O type players.

5.) New Blood Bag items receive functionality similar to water bottles, when they are used for a transfusion they create a new Empty Blood Bag item.

6.) Use on Empty Blood Bag to reduce your blood by 4000, creating a new Blood Bag type item that is of the blood type of the donor.

7.) Blood now increases by 1 per minute, even while offline, as long as you aren't starving. Blood gained from eating meat reduced from 800 to 200. Blood gained from eating canned food reduced from 200 to 50.

Now some explanation of what I think this would do to the game:

There are actually two ways to do this all in all. The first is the solution proposed above, the second is to have the blood bags found in hospitals top you to 12000, and have re-filled blood bags only return 4000, and remove the 1 per minute regeneration.

Either way, this will add two broad things to the game:

**Realism**

This solution would clearly increase the realism in the game. It wouldn't be perfect by any means, but it would be more realistic then now. Many players who enjoy the game for it's realism would enjoy this change.

**Dynamism**

This would also add more complexity to the game, without actually being harder to understand. Most people are already familiar with the basics of blood types, so the concept would be quite simple. This would add more dynamism to the game, allowing people to have more reasons to group up. People might be slightly more ready to group up with people if they might share a blood type, allowing them to re-use blood and not have to come to a hospital as often, possibly reducing the bandit issue just a bit (without actually hindering banditing at all, which we shouldn't do, bandits are an important part of the game).

**Difficulty Changes**

I think this would actually not appreciably change the difficulty of the game for most people.

There are a few ways this could affect difficulty:

- Trouble finding blood bags

People might say it would be harder to find blood bags after this change. I respectfully disagree. When you go to a hospital these days, you almost always find more blood bags then you can even carry. There's always a chance however, that the hospital will be mostly or completely out, since players were just through there. With multiple blood types, there's less of each type of blood bag, but also players won't pick up bags that they don't need, so players won't clean it out as completely.

- Refilling blood bags means you don't have to go to cherno.

I think this is pretty obvious why it's wrong. Since your partner has to lose the blood to give you the blood, you're still keeping the total blood of your group the same, you're just balancing it out so people aren't totally unconcious or something. If you go around getting hit by zombies, you're going to eventually run out of the ability to safely transfuse eachother, which means you'll have to go back.

- Blood Regen is OP/UP.

This would only happen if one of the solutions (probably the hardest one to code) was implemented. Some people have argued that blood regen should be in the game, and I agree that it should. Some of those people talking about it basically want it as a crutch so they don't have to worry about combat. I don't want that. I'm a realism guy.

I've heard proposals of 5 or even 10 blood per minute, with keeping food regen as it is. I think this would make combat trivial, and make it so players would never need to go to a hospital, which would reduce the strategy and fun of the game.

I think 1 blood per minute, even while offline, is a good medium. It's 3x the real bodies rate of producing blood plasma (not including red blood cells which take much longer), yet it isn't so much more that it's totally unrealistic.

I think with 1/min regen and the ability to refill blood bags, you no longer need that extra boost of blood from food to save you if you fall below 3000, so reducing it makes sense, since in reality eating a steak doesn't produce nearly a pint of blood in your body.

**Conclusion**

So that's all I have to say. I'd love to hear everyone elses thoughts/ideas on this. The two parts I'm not really set on as the best ideas are the amount of blood per refill (currently 4000), and the returned blood reduction on food (currently 800/200, 200/50 for meat and canned respectively). I feel that the refill should always be more than 3000, since you don't want to encourage players to do it too often. I feel like the food should be reduced significantly, since 1 blood per minute even while offline will add up to a significant amount of regen, and where you don't have that, you have transfusions.

I don't know where you are playing but it's already annoying enough to get blood. More often then not there are players camping the hospitals with snipers.

it doesn't add realism when you flaw your idea with

4.) Players can only receive a transfusion from a bag of the same type as their own. No system for "Universal Donor" or "Universal Recipient" types, so O bags don't work for everyone, only O type players.

Just keep the system as it is, if we wanted realism you'd also have to keep the blood in the fridge...

People would just keep respawning until they get an AB blood type, rendering the whole purpose of the addition useless.

OFC. doing it you way and not letting players use A/B/O on AB would solve that, but that wouldn't be realism either.

Just leave it as it is.

There is absolutely no need for this... There are not that many hospitals in the game, crawling all the way up to one risking getting shot etc only to find a bloodbag that isnt your type, yea count me out. BTW there would be no reduction in the number of bandits, there would either be more people who pretend to friendly till you transfuse them and then shoot you, or hospitals being camped/server hopped because of people that didn't find the bloodbag they wanted.

TL;DR makes game a lot harder with no added benefits. nope

Why don't we just assume that hospitals are well stocked with O blood, and leave it at that?

Edit: If you wanted to make it work though, have blood types work as expected, but also make it so that using a blood type different than your own is less effective, which is true.

Also, make O the most common, and AB the least common.

AB would be able to use any type, but unless they find the rarest bloodpacks, they will only go to 9000 or something instead of the full 12000.

I'd rather see the whole transfusion stuff get tossed. It's amazing enough that we can patch up gunshot wounds and broken bones in the field. Carrying around bags of blood in our backpack is sillyness.

Make eating and drinking the only way to get your blood back up and make it capped, so you couldn't just eat eat and eat some more until it was 12000, you'd have to wait until your hunger gets red before you'd get the blood bonus. Or something like that. Drinking should help too.

And of course you couldn't just change that and boom it's great, there'd have to be some balancing of blood level bonuses and stuff like that.

slow constant blood regeneration and refillable bloodbags are good, but Blood-types?

We should add allergies and random mistakes like losing stuff from your inventory while running then.

Also the speed which with i usually lose blood makes me think that

the only people who survived are the ultimate blood receivers.

slow constant blood regeneration and refillable bloodbags are good' date=' but Blood-types?

We should add allergies and random mistakes like losing stuff from your inventory while running then.

Also the speed which with i usually lose blood makes me think that

the only people who survived are the ultimate blood receivers.

[/quote']

Often, canon for infection-type zombie apocalypses is that a certain blood type is immune to the infection. If we assume that AB is immune to the infection, problem solved :D

I especially like the idea of refueling blood bags. Hate free-for-all Cherno.

I think that would be a bit too much. U can go far in making the game harder and more realistic but this would be a bridge too far imo..

tl;dr - Change blood bags so each player spawns with a blood type' date=' and there's a type of bag for each type. Players can refill blood bags after use to transfuse other players with a set amount of blood (4000). Blood returned from food reduced from 800 to 200, and from 200 to 50, for meat and canned food respectively. Added 1 blood per minute regen, even while offline, as long as you aren't starving. The change adds realism and dynamism to the game without making it more or less difficult significantly.

I'd like to propose a change to the way blood bags currently work. I think this change will increase the realism of the game, but also make the game slightly smoother to play. Let me explain the system I've come up with:

1.) Blood Bag item removed. This is of course to be replaced with the new blood bags.

2.) 4 New Blood Bag type items added, Blood Bag (A), Blood Bag (B), Blood Bag (O), and Blood Bag (AB). Blood Bags now only restore 4000 blood instead of automatically going to 12000.

3.) On character creation, each player is assigned a blood type randomly. No need for positive/negative specification, just letter type. These would be based on the real world percentages of each blood type: http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-types

5.) New Blood Bag items receive functionality similar to water bottles, when they are used for a transfusion they create a new Empty Blood Bag item.

6.) Use on Empty Blood Bag to reduce your blood by 4000, creating a new Blood Bag type item that is of the blood type of the donor.

7.) Blood now increases by 1 per minute, even while offline, as long as you aren't starving. Blood gained from eating meat reduced from 800 to 200. Blood gained from eating canned food reduced from 200 to 50.

Now some explanation of what I think this would do to the game:

There are actually two ways to do this all in all. The first is the solution proposed above, the second is to have the blood bags found in hospitals top you to 12000, and have re-filled blood bags only return 4000, and remove the 1 per minute regeneration.

Either way, this will add two broad things to the game:

**Realism**

This solution would clearly increase the realism in the game. It wouldn't be perfect by any means, but it would be more realistic then now. Many players who enjoy the game for it's realism would enjoy this change.

**Dynamism**

This would also add more complexity to the game, without actually being harder to understand. Most people are already familiar with the basics of blood types, so the concept would be quite simple. This would add more dynamism to the game, allowing people to have more reasons to group up. People might be slightly more ready to group up with people if they might share a blood type, allowing them to re-use blood and not have to come to a hospital as often, possibly reducing the bandit issue just a bit (without actually hindering banditing at all, which we shouldn't do, bandits are an important part of the game).

**Difficulty Changes**

I think this would actually not appreciably change the difficulty of the game for most people.

There are a few ways this could affect difficulty:

- Trouble finding blood bags

People might say it would be harder to find blood bags after this change. I respectfully disagree. When you go to a hospital these days, you almost always find more blood bags then you can even carry. There's always a chance however, that the hospital will be mostly or completely out, since players were just through there. With multiple blood types, there's less of each type of blood bag, but also players won't pick up bags that they don't need, so players won't clean it out as completely.

- Refilling blood bags means you don't have to go to cherno.

I think this is pretty obvious why it's wrong. Since your partner has to lose the blood to give you the blood, you're still keeping the total blood of your group the same, you're just balancing it out so people aren't totally unconcious or something. If you go around getting hit by zombies, you're going to eventually run out of the ability to safely transfuse eachother, which means you'll have to go back.

- Blood Regen is OP/UP.

This would only happen if one of the solutions (probably the hardest one to code) was implemented. Some people have argued that blood regen should be in the game, and I agree that it should. Some of those people talking about it basically want it as a crutch so they don't have to worry about combat. I don't want that. I'm a realism guy.

I've heard proposals of 5 or even 10 blood per minute, with keeping food regen as it is. I think this would make combat trivial, and make it so players would never need to go to a hospital, which would reduce the strategy and fun of the game.

I think 1 blood per minute, even while offline, is a good medium. It's 3x the real bodies rate of producing blood plasma (not including red blood cells which take much longer), yet it isn't so much more that it's totally unrealistic.

I think with 1/min regen and the ability to refill blood bags, you no longer need that extra boost of blood from food to save you if you fall below 3000, so reducing it makes sense, since in reality eating a steak doesn't produce nearly a pint of blood in your body.

**Conclusion**

So that's all I have to say. I'd love to hear everyone elses thoughts/ideas on this. The two parts I'm not really set on as the best ideas are the amount of blood per refill (currently 4000), and the returned blood reduction on food (currently 800/200, 200/50 for meat and canned respectively). I feel that the refill should always be more than 3000, since you don't want to encourage players to do it too often. I feel like the food should be reduced significantly, since 1 blood per minute even while offline will add up to a significant amount of regen, and where you don't have that, you have transfusions.

[/quote']

a lotta thought behind this... good thinking...aside from one thing...who wants to make this game a combat medic game? I mean its hard enough with the whole apocalypse and everything..your proposing we run around pretty much ONLY grabbing blood bags?..nah...good try though...