Sign in to follow this  
Mikeloeven (DayZ)

Idea to improve survival odds

i have a simple idea for starter gear that will fix the obvious flaw of players not being able to fend off a single zombie due to lack of unarmed attacks.

get rid of the cheesy yellow flashlight and replace it with one of those long handled mag lights used by police officers. this will allow a viable melee attack with the flashlight while not particularly powerful it can provide a basic means of defense against a solitary zed. it would also be balanced and realistic starter gear.

I've got one of these lights... I would imagine it would have to be 3-4 hits to the upper cranium to use efficiently.

• Like 2

Don't like this. Spawning with no weapon at all makes you really appreciate the first hatchet/crowbar/bat you find. Also spawning with any kind of police/military gear makes no sense.

• Like 9

if thats your way of thinking any survival kit from any vehicles would probably have a hunting knife which can be used as a weapon and those mag lights are really freaking common you can get them at any wal mart

also you have no right to say that it makes sense to start with nothing untill survivors are given unarmed punches otherwise realism is tossed out the window because a single zombie can be fended off fairly eaisly and any survivor could easily pick up a stick or tree branch off the ground and deal a killing blow. in all starting with some kind of weapon or at least allowing improvised weaponry is nesicary otherwise you end up with a pointless handicap due entirely to a limitation of the game engine rather than a balanced realistic simulation

Edited by Mikeloeven

if thats your way of thinking any survival kit from any vehicles would probably have a hunting knife which can be used as a weapon and those mag lights are really freaking common you can get them at any wal mart

also you have no right to say that it makes sense to start with nothing untill survivors are given unarmed punches otherwise realism is tossed out the window because a single zombie can be fended off fairly eaisly and any survivor could easily pick up a stick or tree branch off the ground and deal a killing blow. in all starting with some kind of weapon or at least allowing improvised weaponry is nesicary otherwise you end up with a pointless handicap due entirely to a limitation of the game engine rather than a balanced realistic simulation

What he's saying is if players spawn with any sort of weapon that they don't have to loot (fists being an exception) it just gives them an extreme boost. I love the idea of the player being helpless, and not being able to go balls deep because he can smash zombies to utter Jesus with his flashlight.

If you watched the development of the mod you would realize that melee was never part of the game. It was added "using" a very short range weapon. They will eventually add a "push and shove" function to the SA, i wouldn't add it in the mod if i was rocket, that would give away his advantages he would have over the mod, so noone would actually buy the SA. And i don't recall having survival kits as basic equipment in caes...maybe a first aid kit. And Walmart doesn't exist in Chernarus..a petrol lamp would be more authentic to this region. :P

to be realistic..i wouldn't hit a crazy ass infected running at me with a flashlight..even a heavy one..i'd run! and that's what we do ;-)

• Like 3

to be realistic..i wouldn't hit a crazy ass infected running at me with a flashlight..even a heavy one..i'd run! and that's what we do ;-)

Yeah. It's like having multiple Mike Tysons running after you. I would want a gun in this case not a light.

No ones gonna try fighting a zombie in an open field.

You need somewhere to use environment to your advantage.

Like a staircase so you can kick them in the face, or over a countertop where you can use your weapon to get distance and still hit him.

• Like 2

Hmmm. Even though I would like to see a mechanic like this - which will come eventually if not in the initial release - how many Z's do you think you will be able to fight with your fists? Have you ever seen a movie where they're saying: "I've got me fists. I'll be perfectly fine against these 3 Z's."

You want to have them at range and a Baseballbat does that already, but using your fists will just make matters worse and get you killed anyway.

• Like 3

Oh yeah. How about we all spawn with an AS50 TWS, and a l85 thermal silenced in our backpacks.

We also need a grenade launcher as a secondary, infinite food and water, and a portable jet.

4 cerealz, I like the idea of spawning with a weapon, such as a pistol with 1 bullet or something. But, it'd have to be civgear. I don't get the idea of spawning with military shit either.

i have a simple idea for starter gear that will fix the obvious flaw of players not being able to fend off a single zombie due to lack of unarmed attacks.

get rid of the cheesy yellow flashlight and replace it with one of those long handled mag lights used by police officers. this will allow a viable melee attack with the flashlight while not particularly powerful it can provide a basic means of defense against a solitary zed. it would also be balanced and realistic starter gear.

You used to play WarZ didn't you? I can already tell you did...

• Like 2

Is this an idea for the SA? In the SA you are able to fight unarmend, so there is no need for any weapons at the beginning. If a zombie follows you, well you can atleast protect yourself, it shouldn't be too easy.

• Like 1

I like it, maglights are fairly common and are not a piece of "military" equipment. Many UK taxi drivers carry them in the door sills as protection. If it took a few swings to finish a zed, say 3-4, and maybe more for viral zeds its would seem pretty balanced. With item degradation aswell, you would still have to avoid zed contact as much as possible. If it was night and you broke your flashlight by clubbing too many zeds round the head with it you'd be screwed lol.

i see unarmed melee like being able to push to avoid being cornered by a single zombal or maybe two..not as a resource..resources have to be found..

OP; , that's kind of what they did in War Z isn't it? You used your torch as a melee weapon? I dunno, I agree ANYTHING, could be useful to uses a weapon, for example a tin of Beans, but I dont personally have  problem with having to be a bit careful as a fresh spawn.

Our server spawns you with nothing but a bandage - you just got to be quick on your feet and be very stealthy (old skool style!) to get your gear for the first half hour or so and it really helps build the immersion!

So in my opinion it's not really a problem to address but yea, would be nice to be able to use most items/tools as melee weapons!

Don't like this. Spawning with no weapon at all makes you really appreciate the first hatchet/crowbar/bat you find. Also spawning with any kind of police/military gear makes no sense.

While I like spawning in with no weapons you can buy a large maglight at a GAS STATION around these parts. Not military gear. ;)

While I like spawning in with no weapons you can buy a large maglight at a GAS STATION around these parts. Not military gear. ;)

Well, since you are the second person to mention that let me clear this up. Personally I know anyone can buy a maglight and it's not restricted to military/police use, but if you read the OP you'll notice he made this connection, I didn't make it up.

Secondly, think for a second what items we spawn with, where we spawn and why. A bandage, a set of flares and a bright coloured flashlight (or was the flashlight removed from vanilla? anyhow doesn't matter). So we spawn with these things at the coast, being castaways. Now, in a low end life raft one would find flares (check), a medikit (check), a bright coloured flashlight (check) and a whistle. But no maglight in any case. Can you see my point now?

Of course a high end life raft would also have water collecting balloons, fishing gear, a flare gun, more medical gear, mirrors, space blankets etc. But still, no maglight. Too heavy, too expensive, too bulky, too useless in such a situation.

Edited by h3l1x

Well, since you are the second person to mention that let me clear this up. Personally I know anyone can buy a maglight and it's not restricted to military/police use, but if you read the OP you'll notice he made this connection, I didn't make it up.

Secondly, think for a second what items we spawn with, where we spawn and why. A bandage, a set of flares and a bright coloured flashlight (or was the flashlight removed from vanilla? anyhow doesn't matter). So we spawn with these things at the coast, being castaways. Now, in a low end life raft one would find flares (check), a medikit (check), a bright coloured flashlight (check) and a whistle. But no maglight in any case. Can you see my point now?

Of course a high end life raft would also have water collecting balloons, fishing gear, a flare gun, more medical gear, mirrors, space blankets etc. But still, no maglight. Too heavy, too expensive, too bulky, too useless in such a situation.

I agree that we shouldn't spawn with it, I believe I stated that, I was only pointing out that it is not military gear which your post makes it sound like you think it is. 

I agree that we shouldn't spawn with it, I believe I stated that, I was only pointing out that it is not military gear which your post makes it sound like you think it is.

Cool, let's keep on playing with words. First, let me show you exactly what I said.

Don't like this. = Don't like this idea.

Spawning with no weapon at all makes you really appreciate the first hatchet/crowbar/bat you find. = No starting weapon at all is good.

Also spawning with any kind of police/military gear makes no sense. = ALSO, ANY KIND of police/military/tactical/professional/high end gear would make no sense being in the pockets of a castaway.

Get it? No? I'm not talking exclusively about the maglight in that last sentence. That's why I'm using "any kind". You lost the whole point of the thread, you misinterpreted my last sentence, you tried being a smartass, all that for what?

Lastly, anyone can buy professional grade (hinged smith&wesson) handcuffs. This means they are not police gear by your logic, right? Sweet.

Cheesus, maglights can be bought in my countrry ( eastern europe) only through interwebz. And its fucking expensive. You cant do starting kits. You want to piss on the first part after spawning? Oh no baby. You wont.

The most common melee you would find would be some metal pipes in cities, hatchets and other tools in the countryside.

Damn, 'muricans piss me off with their "we haev supermarket with guns so every country has it too!". When I hear walmart on the dayz forums, my blood just boils.

Be honest, would you fucking think a zombie would stop in front of you and started swinging his arms? No. He would fucking ran you over and bite you till your bones are shining. Your mugfuck light would do shit to him even if you managed to hit him.

So please, use organs mother nature gave you (such as brain) aand dont post that kind of ratshit.

Your mugfuck light would do shit to him even if you managed to hit him.

Apparently you don't understand what a mag-lite is. 

maglite_chart.jpg

The 4 D-Cell to 6 D-Cell is often used by law enforcement as an alternate to a baton. In some locations you can be fined for carrying larger thant he 2 D-Cell ones because they make such good clubs. 

not being able to defend yourself in anyway is completely unrealistic