Sign in to follow this  
jonnplays

Servers in SA?

I know that at first we will get pub hives, but will we ever get private hives? I think that plain ones are good.. not with 10000 vehicles spawn with DMR ect.

Will we get priv hives at all?

The devs have expressed that they will consider allowing private hives at some point down the line, but nothing has been confirmed.

Ninja'd by a mofo^

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

I like pub hives, but fixing ghosting and stuff.. server hopping for loot needs to be fixed, honestly

I like pub hives, but fixing ghosting and stuff.. server hopping for loot needs to be fixed, honestly

I agree and would hope that the devs are doing something to counter these known issues.

• Like 1

Simple solution: Only update player locations and player inventory once a day, or once every so many hours.

This would mean your "player progress" would still be saved on a daily basis, but it would remove the possibility of people cycling loot spawns on various different servers, and it would remove the potential for people to ghost.

Just make it a 15 minute timer if you change servers.

The devs have expressed that they will consider allowing private hives at some point down the line, but nothing has been confirmed.

I surely hope it will be a very long time after Version 1 that they decide to do this.

Server admins will try to find ways to remove the difficulty to attract people to their server who can't accept the real DayZ experience.

Now as I have said before. I would like if the "engine" behind the game could be made available for the community to make those experiences. But don't allow them to call it DayZ in my opinion.

I surely hope it will be a very long time after Version 1 that they decide to do this.

Server admins will try to find ways to remove the difficulty to attract people to their server who can't accept the real DayZ experience.

Now as I have said before. I would like if the "engine" behind the game could be made available for the community to make those experiences. But don't allow them to call it DayZ in my opinion.

In all honesty I'd rather the game was left 100% non-modable forever. Completely ruined the mod IMO.

• Like 2

In all honesty I'd rather the game was left 100% non-modable forever. Completely ruined the mod IMO.

Since I pretty much responded on this in a separate thread about modding the SA, I'm going to shamelessly paste my response from there out of pure laziness, so here it goes...

I could care less, really, if the standalone is moddable, since most mods seem to dumb the game down to easy mode with far too much military loot and vehicles.  The only mods I've enjoyed have been mods like Redux and DayZ+ which tended to introduce better features while keeping the game hardcore or making it even harder.  Unfortunately, the masses want easy mode, so mods like Redux and + didn't do that well while dumbed down mods from Lingor and Namalsk to Epoch and Overwatch kept high populations. So I really don't care if the standalone is moddable if the mods are primarily just going to be designed by and for the easy mode crowd.

But I DO want to see support for private hives.  If it weren't for private hives, I wouldn't have played DayZ beyond the two months it took the public hive to drive me away from the game.  I'll give the public hive a chance since I really have no choice on release of the SA, and because of the SA's new architecture.  But I've heard nothing about measures taken to prevent server hopping and ghosting exploits in the standalone.  Exploiters are only marginally better than script kiddies in my book, and the public hive is riddled with both.  I'll take a good private community with good admins anyday.  At least on the private hives I play on, there is no server hopping or ghosting, and glitching or combat logging earns a temp ban that progresses to perm ban on multiple offenses.  And if a script kiddie kills you, you can post in the forum topic that appears after the script kiddie's ban, or contact an admin in the community's live chat or teamspeak to have your character rolled back to before the script kiddie killed you.  No more losing hours, days, or even weeks of gameplay to scripts.

...and I'll add that I DO hope, since we will be forced to play on the public hive on release, that they have indeed added measures to address server hopping and ghosting by the release of the first public version of the SA.  It will go a long way toward showing the improvement of the SA over the mod, and the merits of the public hive if they do.  Otherwise there will be plenty of players like myself asking for private hive support.  Personally, I'll most likely stick to the mod primarily until the SA does support private hives, or until issues like these are resolved on the public hive.

Edited by H4YW1R3
  • Like 2

oh public hives how I miss you, the ghosting, loot cycling, the hacking. 

I really hope either they allow private hives or fix the mess that once was called public hives.

kind of how dayz ruined arma 2? 

DayZ should forever be unable to be modded. However the engine powering it should be licenced and made available as long as they create their own maps and art assets and do not call it DayZ in my opinion.

Let's be honest. Some people simply wont "Get it" Look at the upcoming Mario game where if you die a few times you get a free powerup that makes you invincible for the rest of the level. The players who would like that will never like DayZ and will forever whine for the return of "5000 choppas!!11 Self blood bag!!"

Once the engine work is done. Let it be like the Source Engine. Let it loose. Make some money from that and let those players be someone else's issue. That way everyone is happy.

kind of how dayz ruined arma 2? 

In what way?

The DayZ and ArmA II communites are more or less completely seperate. It's not like DayZ came along and made ArmA II unplayable, is it?

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the increased funding BIS received from the surprise sales of A2 also helped them towards releasing A3 too.

Before DayZ came along A2 was on it's last legs and only being played by the hardcore fans.

Yep, Dayz has pretty much guaranteed BI's survival for many, many years to come.

Hardcore Arma fans should be very grateful for what Dean has done for their favorite game company indirectly with his mod, he's made them millions, and set to make millions more too.

Hardcore Arma fans should be very grateful for what Dean has done for their favorite game company. 

Sadly though it just fuels their hatred.

I've been an Arma fan since OFP and DayZ reinvigorated my interest in it along with becoming a fan of DayZ itself.  Imo the Arma fanbase liked that Arma was a glitchy/buggy hard to access game, it made them feel superior to the average gamer because you had to be fairly computer literate and have the patience of a saint just to get the most out of it.

Well they can't have their cake and eat it, they need to accept that BIS NEED a certain level of success/popularity to keep the franchise going and DayZ has given them just that.

I'm looking forward to the day that Arma starts taking from DayZ.  I honestly think that if they ever consider making Arma 4 in the future that they'll be looking to Dean and much of the work being done on the DayZ engine and using their work.  There's going to be some very awkward meetings at BIS and the Arma fans will throw a fit even if it's in the interest of making Arma a better game, I can't wait =)

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

Sadly though it just fuels their hatred.

I've been an Arma fan since OFP and DayZ reinvigorated my interest in it along with becoming a fan of DayZ itself.  Imo the Arma fanbase liked that Arma was a glitchy/buggy hard to access game, it made them feel superior to the average gamer because you had to be fairly computer literate and have the patience of a saint just to get the most out of it.

Well they can't have their cake and eat it, they need to accept that BIS NEED a certain level of success/popularity to keep the franchise going and DayZ has given them just that.

I'm looking forward to the day that Arma starts taking from DayZ.  I honestly think that if they ever consider making Arma 4 in the future that they'll be looking to Dean and much of the work being done on the DayZ engine and using their work.  There's going to be some very awkward meetings at BIS and the Arma fans will throw a fit even if it's in the interest of making Arma a better game, I can't wait =)

I would imagine that alot of these haters that exist now, loved Dayz in the early weeks when it was first released and was still niche and they felt special being the only ones that knew about it.

• Like 1

Yeh exactly.

It's like people that follow bands when they're all underground and cool but call them sell-outs when they finally make it and everyone else finds out about them.  I love their rage.

Just make it a 15 minute timer if you change servers.

Hell no, thats way to fucking long, what if i d/c by accident? 15 min timer to get back into the game for bugs, crashes, etc, i dont think so.

Im thinking something along the lines of a teleport to different random (but nearby) location, if logoff and logon is within the spawn loot timer so if you wanna change servers quickly youre going to be somewhere else when you log on instead of where the loot is, if after the so many minutes it takes from loot to spawn on its timer then you go into the same spot, because if you kept waiting where you were in the other server you could have just got the spawned loot there so it makes no difference....I may have overexplained that a bit.

I think what they're intending to do to stop people ghosting/sever hopping etc is to use algorythms of some sort to spot patterns.

So if you're playing legitimately and occasionally lose your connection or change servers to join friends etc then everything will be cool.  If they detect a pattern in your playstyle that shows a certain behaviour (eg: loot farming) then they'll start to punish you by giving you a delayed log-in that increases in time the more you abuse the system.

That's what Dean said about it quite a while ago, sounds good in practice.  Like everything else we'll see I guess.  Ghosting was a bit of a gamebreaker for me when everyone played on public hives along with combat logging so if they can eventually deal with those two things I'll be a happy bunny.

Edit - I think they've got a fairly simple fix for combat logging.  When you log-out, your character stays on the server for 20 seconds (for example) so if you try to avoid getting killed by logging you'll still get killed, happy days!

Edited by Fraggle

In what way?

The DayZ and ArmA II communites are more or less completely seperate. It's not like DayZ came along and made ArmA II unplayable, is it?

The opposite. 

The same way much of the loyal community of dayz dislike how dayz was ruined by mods arma 2 was ruined the exact same way by dayz. (Not being able to find servers in arma 2 because all of them are dayz vs not being able to find vanilla dayz servers because all are epoch. Core game of arma 2 being masked by unwanted mods like dayz vs Core motives of dayz being masked by those 50000 helicopter servers. ect)  

Being an arma 2 fan way before dayz was even thought of I have seen how dayz affected the arma 2 game and community, and the (unwanted) mods that dayz has evolved to has affected dayz in the exact same way. I for one enjoy the creativity of dayz, I find it is an amazing game with a great concept. However there is no denying that arma 2 was almost rendered unplayable after dayz picked up. Domination and insurgency severs disappeared and using the server browser was impossible for anyone looking to find something other then dayz. 

Hop onto arma 3 and ask anyone playing their opinion on dayz and most will say it completely ruined everything arma 2 was. 

As much as everyone hates the 1000 helicopter servers, that's what keeps the game alive, as much as everyone hates all these new mods that's what keeps the game varied, as much as everyone hates all the new maps that's what keeps the game fresh.

Remove all that, and your not left with much. If those weren't in dayz right now I doubt there would even be a quarter of the active players.  

The opposite. 

The same way much of the loyal community of dayz dislike how dayz was ruined by mods arma 2 was ruined the exact same way by dayz. (Not being able to find servers in arma 2 because all of them are dayz vs not being able to find vanilla dayz servers because all are epoch. Core game of arma 2 being masked by unwanted mods like dayz vs Core motives of dayz being masked by those 50000 helicopter servers. ect)  

Being an arma 2 fan way before dayz was even thought of I have seen how dayz affected the arma 2 game and community, and the (unwanted) mods that dayz has evolved to has affected dayz in the exact same way. I for one enjoy the creativity of dayz, I find it is an amazing game with a great concept. However there is no denying that arma 2 was almost rendered unplayable after dayz picked up. Domination and insurgency severs disappeared and using the server browser was impossible for anyone looking to find something other then dayz. 

Hop onto arma 3 and ask anyone playing their opinion on dayz and most will say it completely ruined everything arma 2 was. 

As much as everyone hates the 1000 helicopter servers, that's what keeps the game alive, as much as everyone hates all these new mods that's what keeps the game varied, as much as everyone hates all the new maps that's what keeps the game fresh.

Remove all that, and your not left with much. If those weren't in dayz right now I doubt there would even be a quarter of the active players.  

But that's just not true, is it?.. ArmA II was on it's last legs before DayZ. DayZ brought a heap of new players and actually made it easier to find populated servers for the vanilla game.

All it did was make the ArmA hipsters a bit less hip, because now everyone has heard of their super secret game.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 1

But that's just not true, is it?.. ArmA II was on it's last legs before DayZ. DayZ brought a heap of new players and actually made it easier to find populated servers for the vanilla game.

All it did was make the ArmA hipsters a bit less hip, because now everyone has heard of their super secret game.

easier to find a populated server for a vanilla game?

I don't have to explain to you how the situation was with arma 2 and dayz because you're living it right now.

How easy is it to find a vanilla dayz game? Not to easy. Its overshadowed by all of its submods, exactly how arma 2 was overshadowed by dayz.