Sign in to follow this  
applejaxc

Putting an End to "Can I run it?"

Hello, various people.

There are a LOT of people wanting to know if their computers are good enough to run DayZ, which is an understandable enough concern when it comes to spending real money on a product you aren't sure will work as intended.

Thusly I bring to you game-debate.com's system minimum/recommended comparison features.

http://www.game-debate.com/can-I-run/?EA

Literally click that link, choose any EA game, and then you'll be at a screen showing the box art, a short synopsis, the required/recommended PC specs, and (finally) a 2-option "Is a laptop?" and 2 scroll menus, one for GPU and one for CPU. Put in your GPU/CPU (if you aren't sure, type in "System" in the start menu and hit enter) and follow along. Eventually it'll say

"This is recommended CPU/etc" Rating (1-10)

"This is your CPU/etc" Rating (1-10)

At the top-right there's a search bar. Type in "ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead," hit search, and put in your PC specs as asked. 

This is an example of what it looks like

REQUIREMENTS

Arma II: Operation Arrowhead System Requirements

INTEL CPU
helpFileSmall.png
AMD CPU
helpFileSmall.png
Nvidia GPU
helpFileSmall.png
AMD GPU
helpFileSmall.png
RAM
helpFileSmall.png
OS
Direct X
HDD Space
GD Verdict
GD Adjusted Requirements
2 GB
star4.png
accept.png
Win Xp 32
accept.png
DX 9
accept.png
7 GB

Information I entered

RAM
: 8GB
star9.png
goldTickThin25x26.png
HDD
: No hard drive

computer.png
Premium Member - Game Resolution Analysis
help.png
Width
Height

• Like 3

its a nice attempt man, but typically people posting the 'can i run it?' threads are new account first time posters who don't bother to search the forums before posting. kind of like the global ban appealers but the people making the topics aren't complete douches

• Like 4

Is anyone skilled enough to make a browser based choice by choice program where you just put in your specs and it tells you if you can run it? A mod could make it sticky.

its a nice attempt man, but typically people posting the 'can i run it?' threads are new account first time posters who don't bother to search the forums before posting. kind of like the global ban appealers but the people making the topics aren't complete douches

It's a preemptive for current-users having questions about PCs they plan to buy. 

Can I run it?

Please, put an end to my misery.

No. No you cannot. *pulls slide back* Hold still.

Is anyone skilled enough to make a browser based choice by choice program where you just put in your specs and it tells you if you can run it? A mod could make it sticky.

..that's...like literally...what the website does. For a lot of different games.

I'd much rather the Can I Run It thread. It's not a yes/no thread... It's a thread for people to discuss system specs in a very general sense, how to improve upon them and how it will cope with DayZ.

That is far more valuable than being told by a pre-determined answer.

• Like 1

I'd much rather the Can I Run It thread. It's not a yes/no thread... It's a thread for people to discuss system specs in a very general sense, how to improve upon them and how it will cope with DayZ.

But it can answer based on lots of different games, tell you if planned purchases are a good idea, and if you need to upgrade.

That's a pretty cool site, I used to use something similar.

I do quite like the "can I run it" thread though.  When it's used properly the people that post regularly there often dole out some good advice when it comes to upgrading parts etc.

Personally, I'd trust people's opinions much more than one website's claim to fact.

• Like 1

Good idea, though I notice one hole in your plan to end all "Can I run it?" threads, and it's the same reason we have "wtf im global ban" threads; people do not look before posting.

Despite that, this thread is still pretty handy, so good stuff.

• Like 1

Websites like that are pretty crap.

They check it against the Minimum/Recommended Specs which rarely reflects real life playability.

The one over at www.systemrequirementslab.com is totally useless too.

• Like 2

Also screen resolution in OP link is locked at 1280x1024. You have to register and log in in order to change it.

They check it against the Minimum/Recommended Specs which rarely reflects real life playability.

The one over at www.systemrequirementslab.com is totally useless too.

Exactly, these sites are horribly inaccurate. Only someone with real experience running arma 2 and computer hardware can really answer the question with decent accuracy. Plus these sites don't account for graphical settings either...

On a side note, the question should really be changed to " can you run it effectively "?

Surely any computer can run it, but will it still be enjoyable?

Edited by SomebodyEpic

The one over at www.systemrequirementslab.com is totally useless too.

Hello there

Whilst I might not put it quit like my learned friend here, I too think of these site like a "Holy Book".

They are a nice guide to things but one cannot take them as gospel truth.

There's often more to games than pure specs and whilst a good "guestimate", playing demos and doing research with those who actually play the game will give better results.

Lastly as others have pointed pot many folk will just spam the forum with their post on the subject and then we sweep them into the Can I run it thread to keep the pace organised.

An interesting idea though. Keep em coming.

Rgds

LoK

Also screen resolution in OP link is locked at 1280x1024. You have to register and log in in order to change it.

Well, that's true. But if you're normal and buy a computer with 1280x720 you still get a good estimate. I personally signed up because you can set a "My PC stats" that will auto-fill every game you check, saving a lot of time.

This.

And...

Good idea, though I notice one hole in your plan to end all "Can I run it?" threads, and it's the same reason we have "wtf im global ban" threads; people do not look before posting.

Despite that, this thread is still pretty handy, so good stuff.

This.

As well as providing a place for people to discuss estimated performance and potential upgrades it also gives us a place to merge all of the inevitable Can I Run It? topics posted by people that haven't read the stickies before posting.

I don't think we need to put an end to the topic, just figure out a way of making people notice it before posting.

• Like 1

I don't think we need to put an end to the topic, just figure out a way of making people notice it before posting.

12 foot neon signs?

We'd still get the posts. We just need to keep our brooms handy and manhandle the users to the correct area.

I feel like the Red guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOzTikUdvuU

L

I need to watch Tron again... I don't think I've seen the original since the 90s. xD

Ah yes can you run it?
That is a  question that has been on this island of chernarus for all my time here.
I came on these fourms to ask if my laptop I plan on buying could run it,I was looking into many laptops then I found the one of my dreams I asked and looked into it........ and then I got it and.......IT COULD RUN IT!

It is a question that once you own dayz and you are running it you just cant understand why they are asking it.

well I dunno just let them ask they are not like the GB jerks.

Hello there

Whilst I might not put it quit like my learned friend here, I too think of these site like a "Holy Book".

They are a nice guide to things but one cannot take them as gospel truth.

There's often more to games than pure specs and whilst a good "guestimate", playing demos and doing research with those who actually play the game will give better results.

Lastly as others have pointed pot many folk will just spam the forum with their post on the subject and then we sweep them into the Can I run it thread to keep the pace organised.

An interesting idea though. Keep em coming.

Rgds

LoK

...well, at least you were nice about it. XD

I don't know. I like using it as a comparison. I used to think for a long time that Nvidia card performance was the opposite of what it is now, mostly because I never got a straight answer from anyone in the "Can I Run it?" thread or elsewhere. At the very least it showed me how each one stacked up, and the difference between "M" (mobile) and non-M cards.

• Like 1

Fucking thank you!

You can even just google 'can i run DayZ' and this is like one of the first links. How I helped my buddy shop for a laptop to run this game

• Like 1

"Can I run it?' is very useful for 2 main reasons:

1. It helps people with very poor PCs from having a terrible DayZ experience and slagging the mod off to all and sundry.

2. It helps people with decent PCs figure out which one of the many "make DayZ run like frozen poop" options they have set by accident via the in-game graphics options (and in Catalyst Control Centre).

Fucking thank you!

You can even just google 'can i run DayZ' and this is like one of the first links. How I helped my buddy shop for a laptop to run this game

No problem man! :)