de4dcert

Interview with Origins development lead Kinghunt

Shouldn't it be "lead thief of community made mods and money whore" or "the man who killed of Taviana by blocking Hicks from releasing Taviana 3.0" ?

• Like 17

"the man who killed of Taviana by blocking Hicks from releasing Taviana 3.0" ?

What? I think I'm missing a few details mind filling us in?

Martin who created the map Taviana is now part of Gamers Platoon (Kingcunts group) and they refuse anyone permission to use the map, Hicks who released Taviana now can't release any new versions, Taviana is now stuck on version 2.0.

There's a huge post over at opendayz.net about it and includes the false DMCA they sent to opendayz.net host threatening legal action, the host took it seriously and threatend to block opendayz.net as they tried to release a new taviana update, in the end Hicks gave up and is now part of the survivor games series.

Sending false DMCA notices is also against the law, so not only are they money grabbing arseholes, they are also criminals.

• Like 1

I didn't have time to watch the interview but did he ask any pressing questions about some of the many issues people have raised over the last few months?

I'll try and watch it later,,,,

• Like 1

I just have a lot of fun playing the mod. Like many other mods out there. I even believe there are now other mods also being tied to hosting providers.

I'm only interested in asking questions in my mailbox and luckly I only had ones from people wanting to know about new features. This is why I left reddit because I was sick of people trolling about stealing code when every single mod out there is based on different people's code and ideas.

Its a shame it always comes down to this and not about the innovations and ideas going into it. As I said before DayZ is evolving, this is not just a strap on an old map mod. It's working here to use now features. I wish more DayZ mods had a story to follow. My friend Cave writes the story for Origins. It's a real team effort but what people need to realise is most trolling is done by people who want a slice of the pie. I have never had to pay anyone but Bohemia cash for my copy of arma 2 to play origins. So just enjoy the creativity as this is hours of people's hard dedicated work for the community to enjoy.

Edited by De4dCert
  • Like 1

I wasn't having a dig at you btw, I just found it strange to have an interview like that with the lead dev of a popular mod (you're friend?) and completely ignore the elephant in the room.  Just makes it seem like more of a promotional thing as opposed to a legit interview.  It'd be like me interviewing Rocket and only wanting to talk about the cool stuff while ignoring the broken zeds etc.

Just my opinion though, maybe it was all dealt with over at Reddit, I rarely visit there so have no idea.

• Like 6

I liked origins but I thought 1.7 made it ridiculous, still glad to see they're trying to innovate with all the stuff in the new update, the new bit of the map, new guns etc.

Is there much of a story now? I myself once sent kingfish a message offering my services as a writer because I pretty much sent a message to every living being in such a position if they needed one, and he replied with a really confusing one in broken English about god only knows what. Still, I don't hold a grudge......

Edited by IrishHugo

Interview highlights alternatives to pvp, video highlights pvp.  Whilst I don't dabble in politics I can see not a bean has been given.

• Like 2

I wasn't having a dig at you btw, I just found it strange to have an interview like that with the lead dev of a popular mod (you're friend?) and completely ignore the elephant in the room.  Just makes it seem like more of a promotional thing as opposed to a legit interview.  It'd be like me interviewing Rocket and only wanting to talk about the cool stuff while ignoring the broken zeds etc.

Just my opinion though, maybe it was all dealt with over at Reddit, I rarely visit there so have no idea.

Its cool my post was not a reply to one person it was a general response. I tend to look past rubbish bickering about who has access to what, its a mod so expect the unexpected! What I do admire Origins for as a player is they always take something that is said cant be done and then go and do it. This is pushing the boundaries of what we thought could be done I think.

I think every mod makes an attempt to make its mark on the scene. I don't think we should be bashing the hard work that is all. Everyone seems to get along until hosting providers get in on the PR wars because they cant make money off something successful. But now other mods are doing the very same exclusive thing its ok....

Regarding the interview itself I wanted to do it for the emails I got from viewers. I don't get paid to "promote" anyone. What goes on my channel is what I enjoy playing so I thought I could get some extra details that were not currently known and constantly being asked. The whole point of the interview was about the new update. I don't see why I am meant to address anything else when most of the issues are drummed up troll, the valid ones were long talked about. The same people keep on through like a stuck record.

With respect to Rocket which all of these mods are based on Arma2/DayZ. The community have been overwhelmingly creative and I enjoy having such an amazing selection to play.

Vote by playing or not playing I think is the best way.

Interview highlights alternatives to pvp, video highlights pvp.  Whilst I don't dabble in politics I can see not a bean has been given.

The video highlights cooperation against a common enemy "yet to be revealed". When your forced up against something much greater than you can take on, maybe people will team up rather than both sides at each others throats.

Vote by playing or not playing I think is the best way.

Yeh, that I agree with although a large chunk of the playerbase isn't very well  informed about behind the scenes stuff which put's the mod developers in a position to get away with all sorts of shit.  I don't think "trolling" should be confused with people that have legitimate concerns either.  

I don't think I'll be playing....

Good luck with your vids though =)

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

Mods like these are keeping people dialled into a fantastic Arma infused world. I think like many of us we were all expecting to be playing the standalone already. Even the big youtubers to my amusement shut up shop on DayZ mod saying it was broken expecting its imminent release, didn't that's soon change :). My guess has always been May 2014. I do see more benefits to closing the doors and say its out when its done though, keep new ideas a surprise + wow factor. On the latest blog it all looked very good indeed. But you now have mods that are developing so fast they are adding some very compelling and game changing ideas. I always think if you could get the DayZ + Origins + Epoch people into one room hammer out some insane new functional survival ideas what a damn cool game that would make. The guys that don't make the noise who spend countless hours creating these worlds should be making the reddit headlines.

There are lots of places nickel and diming new users to DayZ mods right now with pay to play custom load outs which trash survival gameplay. Its always too easy to point the finger at the most popular mod to hurt its reputation and bring in new customers for yourself. Choose your poison wisely I guess. 

Long live DayZ!

Hello there

Without being trollike, Origins does have a somewhat tarnished reputation in the community, deserved or not.

I personally wonder about some issues that have been raised.

A video giving a clear breakdown and insight into all those "difficult" issues would well serve the mod and would put folks doubts and concerns to rest.

Also, it would be easy to point detractors to if it were legit and contained well reasoned info, your closeness to the mod might make impartiality difficult though.

Worth thinking about IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

Such as, may I ask?

If you don't see what these mods have done and are doing to the evolution DayZ then you need to try them out. For one Origins started off building construction and home ownership, Epoch has now added a modular construction system both are hugely popular. These are in real-time on the map and make direct changes to the map which makes each experience different. Crafting and currency systems which promote trade and player interaction. Salvation City an AI controlled areas vital to finding the plans to build clan strongholds which required teamwork to complete. Vehicle modification and fortification. The list is very long. You take this away from DayZ now and I am not sure what the future holds. Being able to sterilise your water is one thing and practical to survival but owning, improving and protecting something you or your clan have built up is not only totally awesome but it promotes teamwork well above getting gunned down with overpowered military hardware on the coast. Last but not least of quite a few changes has to be give people a compelling story to follow with a bread crumb trail that fits survival.

If you don't see what these mods have done and are doing to the evolution DayZ then you need to try them out. For one Origins started off building construction and home ownership, Epoch has now added a modular construction system both are hugely popular. These are in real-time on the map and make direct changes to the map which makes each experience different. Crafting and currency systems which promote trade and player interaction. Salvation City an AI controlled areas vital to finding the plans to build clan strongholds which required teamwork to complete. Vehicle modification and fortification. The list is very long. You take this away from DayZ now and I am not sure what the future holds. Being able to sterilise your water is one thing and practical to survival but owning, improving and protecting something you or your clan have built up is not only totally awesome but it promotes teamwork well above getting gunned down with overpowered military hardware on the coast. Last but not least of quite a few changes has to be give people a compelling story to follow with a bread crumb trail that fits survival.

Oh.

I suppose one could call them game changing for they literally are, but whether they are good is the question.

Aside from vehicle modification/fortification, I do not like the majority of said features. Especially homes and such; nothing should be safe in DayZ. 

No safe zones. Nothing.

If these features do not make the "game" [or mod] very difficult [so, "hardcore" one could say], then I do not see it to be what DayZ should be.

Besides, basebuilding and such is nothing new. The idea of it was around long before the inception of Origins and co.

• Like 7

Its always too easy to point the finger at the most popular mod to hurt its reputation and bring in new customers for yourself

Yeh see that's where it's all gone a bit wrong for me tbh.

As soon as people have had a sniff that there's money to be made by riding on the coat-tails of a popular mod it's all gone a bit wrong imo.  I agree that the sub-mods have kept DayZ going while they work on the SA but that can't be used as an excuse for some of the less than savoury stuff we see going on involving making money out of other peoples work.

Edit - Oh and soz if it looks like we're ganging up on you, we're not =)

It's just the forums are stupidly quiet atm and it's interesting to see what somebody close to the dev team thinks about these things.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

Hello there

I agree with Fraggle, and we really are not ganging up on you, but these issues are something we (many in the wider community) would like to see addressed.

When cash starts to get involved then for me things get difficult, Ill get outta the thread now and leave it in Frangs and Incy's capable hands.

Rgds

LoK

Origins was designed solely to generate income for GP and Kingcunt :( they stole other peoples scripts and gave no credit.

All other Dayz mods were designed to be given freely to the community, the mod devs get a little bit of fame and recognition.

Where are the server files they promised to release ? you can't get them unless you pay them money to become an official partner.

What about all the mass banning they've done ? so many legit players banned for nothing.

Please don't see this as an attack on you De4dCert, it's not, but if you interview the devil it will recieve negative comments.

• Like 2

and beans from Hicks confirms what i said was true :)

Off topic - Glad to see you're well Mr Hicks, I was always a fan of your work and still continue to play Taviana 2.0.

• Like 1

Edit - Oh and soz if it looks like we're ganging up on you, we're not =)

It's just the forums are stupidly quiet atm and it's interesting to see what somebody close to the dev team thinks about these things.

Its cool I did not think that, I enjoy the debate. I have a feeling this is called the combined effect of BF4 and GTA. I can ask but not promise an interview raising issues or rumours people talk about. I try my best to keep the focus on the games.

• Like 1

To be clear - several issues came up that prevented me from releasing 3.0. When those issues went away, it just didn't make sense to release it. I just can't justify the work versus how many people would actually play it.
I still have project oversight on the Survivor GameZ, but a lot of the work is now done by Soma, Lou, Shannon, and Andy.
I've moved on to the Producer role for DayZ Standalone over at Bohemia Interactive.

• Like 6

Origins was designed solely to generate income for GP and Kingcunt :( they stole other peoples scripts and gave no credit.

All other Dayz mods were designed to be given freely to the community, the mod devs get a little bit of fame and recognition.

Where are the server files they promised to release ? you can't get them unless you pay them money to become an official partner.

What about all the mass banning they've done ? so many legit players banned for nothing.

Please don't see this as an attack on you De4dCert, it's not, but if you interview the devil it will recieve negative comments.

First off its quite disrespectful to change someone's name for effect like that. Saying all other mods are freely given is wrong. Ill pick just 2 Aftermath and DayzRP. Both mods are exclusive to their respective servers one is a pay to play application system, the more you pay the quicker you get whitelisted. The other is locked down to Vilayer. Both are decent mods and fun to play they just employ different methods to generate money to cover development costs or maybe go on a nice all expenses paid holiday. People pay $100's to do this, Origins charges the end user nothing. So its not just happening to one mod.

The mass banning well do you honestly think that this is at all done for fun? The people that were banned exploited the game in one way or another. Why would you ban a chunk of your user base its like shooting yourself in the foot? The reason is protection of the legitimacy and integrity of play. Myself I am on the same cd key I bought last year so why am I still on there? Everyone who gets banned claims they were playing legit. The cheaters are the ones kicking up most of the troll. When a mod gets a sizeable user base its more of a incentive to generate hacks.

My interview got very positive feedback because most people realise it was intended to pull some more information out of an imminent release.