Sign in to follow this  
ryan__mc__@hotmail.co.uk

Zed behavior

Just thought id ask something.

In the current mod when you shoot no matter the distance (as long as zeds can hear the shots) zeds run straight to the person that shot and disregard everything in its path and its very unrealistic to say the least. But with standalone and the increased distance that zeds can hear gunfire....would you guys prefer that zed behaviour is changed (if possible) so that when for example...someone shoots their gun inside a town that zeds don't disregard everything in there path as they run towards the person that shot such as other players that are clearly visible to the zeds ? Also shouldn't zeds take much more random paths as they run to the person that shot as lets be realistic ...how could zeds possibly pinpoint the gun shot especially from large distance?

This would make it so that zeds although first triggered by the gun shot ...that if they encounter other players (increased chance they encounter players if they go random paths) that they disregard the gun shot and chase the other player instead ?

This is just off the top of my head and by no means in depth.

Edited by Massicor
  • Like 1

Same with satchels in the mod. If you blow one up, the zeds run to the trigger man, not the actual explosion.

Edited by Statik
  • Like 2

you make me think about my last game..cherno apartments..i see them slowly coming in my direction..forced to fire to exit they all aggro and i waste a lot of bullets to get out.

they are more sensible to footsteps or what? i walked all the time...

about your topic: i'd make them go in the sound's direction but switch aggro if they see a closer player.

i think a general direction would be balanced between straight line in the town and random direction,

ofcourse in a field they'd run straight.

they should also have a condition between their silly patrolling and aggro, like an interested mode.

I would really love it ..id love being able to possibly also "flush" out other players by taking a few shots forcing a player to have to run away as they see a swarm of zeds run in there direction :D he would be like awwww fook me lol.

Edited by Massicor
  • Like 1

you make me think about my last game..cherno apartments..i see them slowly coming in my direction..forced to fire to exit they all aggro and i waste a lot of bullets to get out.

they are more sensible to footsteps or what? i walked all the time...

about your topic: i'd make them go in the sound's direction but switch aggro if they see a closer player.

i think a general direction would be balanced between straight line in the town and random direction,

ofcourse in a field they'd run straight.

they should also have a condition between their silly patrolling and aggro, like an interested mode.

For future reference If you climb up the ladder and prone out on the roof for a while the zeds will lose interest and you can leave in peace, lol.

Also, I'm pretty sure they already have an investigating mode (added in 1.7.7, I think?). This is why when you're looting a supermarket or somewhere similar zeds will keep walking in.

• Like 1

It would be great if there was just a chance that they took notice of a gunshot, diminishing the further away they were, and if they noticed it they looked around for it's source. That way other players who were hidden or hadn't been noticed would remain out of threat but a player who was running in plain view of zombies in earshot would probably become their target, regardless of whether they fired or not.

Gunshots could be used to drag them away from areas too perhaps, if they sauntered off towards roughly where it came from.

• Like 1

Same with satchels in the mod. If you blow one up, the zeds run to the trigger man, not the actual explosion.

Yes a fucking stupid feature of arma and really annoying when you're playing proper arma missions and your compeltely hidden yet somehow the AI knew exactly where you pressed that button from. I'm not even sure they fixed it for arma 3

My experience: walking in the fields around cherno with a friend of mine, he got the aggro from a pair of zeds; we ran in a forest trying to outrun those two. After 5 minutes of running we still had a zed on us. I gave up and shot the zed. Then we noticed a pair of zeds allerted by the gunshot, so we tried to hide in the bushes. Apparently the zeds AI looks for the player, and not for the place where the noise came from, so we ended up dealing with two more of them. It'd be nice to correct the zed's AI and the way they move. This is annoying expecially in cities: whenever i'm trying to loot in elektro, it happen to startle a zed, so i quickly hide in a building with different floors. Even if i hide, for example, in a room of the third floor, the zeds will go exactly where i am. This kinda screws up the reality of this game, and so does my patience.

I hope they'll fix this, because this problem with the add of the zeds constantly spawning (doesn't care how many of them you killed) make looting cities in stealth neraly impossible

Zeds are messed period.  Glad to hear they are doing a complete overhaul in the SA.  I hope they get rid of the silly zig zag pathing garbo. lol....

That's because their natural AI wants to kill you but they do not have a fire-arm, so they make a bee-line for you because they can only melee you. They need to majorly re-work how zeds detect you through sounds and sights, in the SA & the mod.

Edited by Dr.Duff
  • Like 1

That's because they're natural AI wants to kill you but they do not have a fire-arm, so they make a bee-line for you because they can only melee you. They need to majorly re-work how zeds detect you through sounds and sights, in the SA & the mod.

I heard that zeds follows your path when you run avay from them. That means when you're running from them, and you turn for shooting, they'll zig zag following your previous movements. By the other hand when you startle a zed, he'll run in straight line. That's why when you try to outrun a zombie in a city, even if you manage to dodge between buildings, he'll find you. The trick of entering a building with at least 2 entrances works because the zed in the building is forced to walk slow; so he's still chasing you following your path, but you can get far away from him.

It'd be nice if tincans could be used for startle a group of zeds simply by throwing it on the ground. Too bad i tried that and the tin can just glitched through the floor xD

In 1.8, when you fire a weapon, the zeds run toward the sound and not the player. This is the first time this has been the case and this is a tremendous improvement. I'm not sure if the do sight checks on the way... I thought they did. Either way, zed behavior will be changing again in the hotfix, according to the changelog. It will be interesting to see how this new more dynamic system will work.

It may address the OP's issue to some extent, because not all of the zeds will be aggro'd toward the sound. Some will simply change their path toward it and may aggro on players they see on their way.

Edited by entspeak

In 1.8, when you fire a weapon, the zeds run toward the sound and not the player. This is the first time this has been the case and this is a tremendous improvement. I'm not sure if the do sight checks on the way... I thought they did. Either way, zed behavior will be changing again in the hotfix, according to the changelog. It will be interesting to see how this new more dynamic system will work.

I can confirm this works, my pal had a huge conga line chasing him and I was on a tower, so I fired my DMR and they instantly went bat-shit, more than half the hoard breaking off to try and find me. Unfortunately, he then ran into a building with only one door and was promptly ripped limb from limb.

How I laughed.

It would be great if there was just a chance that they took notice of a gunshot, diminishing the further away they were, and if they noticed it they looked around for it's source. That way other players who were hidden or hadn't been noticed would remain out of threat but a player who was running in plain view of zombies in earshot would probably become their target, regardless of whether they fired or not.

Gunshots could be used to drag them away from areas too perhaps, if they sauntered off towards roughly where it came from.

Take a look at the changelog. This type of behavior may be included soon.
  • Like 1

What about the use of throwable stuff as a distraction for the zeds? Sometimes that could get you out from a building sorrounded by zeds without waiting them to go away

I can confirm this works, my pal had a huge conga line chasing him and I was on a tower, so I fired my DMR and they instantly went bat-shit, more than half the hoard breaking off to try and find me. Unfortunately, he then ran into a building with only one door and was promptly ripped limb from limb.

How I laughed.

Well, that's nice and zombie-like.

"Chasing chasing chasing HEY A NOISE!"

Well, that's nice and zombie-like.

"Chasing chasing chasing HEY A NOISE!"

Zombies should and do have some cognitive ability. Their urges are base and primal, I think it was refelceted well in that only a select group were distracted, whilst others were too intent on the current prey.

What about the use of throwable stuff as a distraction for the zeds? Sometimes that could get you out from a building sorrounded by zeds without waiting them to go away

You can throw tin cans, bottles and flares to distract zeds, but it only works if they haven't seen you already.

Smoke grenades can be much more effective.

You can throw tin cans, bottles and flares to distract zeds, but it only works if they haven't seen you already.

Smoke grenades can be much more effective.

I have no idea why zombies hate smoke grenades so much.

I mean, I've been indirectly killed by a guy who threw a smoke grenade at me in Stary and summoned the population of half the landmass to eat me.

• Like 1