neosky5k

DayZ Community afraid of the Dark?

No chance. If I sat at home and did nothing but play 24/7, I'd be fine with the cycle. As having a real life and only playing for a few hours a day at most, typically after the rest of the family is in bed, that would leave me playing at night 90% of the time. That's why I play 24/7 daytime servers. I don't have a set schedule for when I can play, and if I can jump on the game for a quick bit, I don't want to spend it playing in the dark. In my mind, it's night time the whole time I'm logged off.

Then play in a different time zone? There you go.

so he should have to play with a bad ping?

hahah..

sure go on forcing your own play style on others, thats cool.. you'll fit right in here..

That's what i did at first. Then realized that I then was stuck playing in the dark on weekend mornings. I play on average 10 hours a week. It's not too much to expect to be able to play those 10 hours during day time in game.

I actually don't mind playing at night when I have a huge chunk of time I can dedicate to it. if I could choose when it's going to be night in game, I'd play it every now and then, but as it is, it's a better game for me as a 24/7 daytime game.

Ideally, there'd be caves, sewers, or an under ground military complex to give a night time type experience at any time.

so he should have to play with a bad ping?

hahah..

sure go on forcing your own play style on others, thats cool.. you'll fit right in here..

Am I forcing him to do anything? Jesus the stupidity of people these days. If you get that bad of a ping living on the east coast on a west coast server, you shouldn't be playing dayz, because your internet sucks that bad.

In case you hasn't noticed, I have "fit in here" for the past 9 months. Don't give me the shit people try to give new forumites, it ain't gonna fly bubs.

Get yourself an avatar FFS. No wonder I have no clue who you are.

That's what i did at first. Then realized that I then was stuck playing in the dark on weekend mornings. I play on average 10 hours a week. It's not too much to expect to be able to play those 10 hours during day time in game.

I actually don't mind playing at night when I have a huge chunk of time I can dedicate to it. if I could choose when it's going to be night in game, I'd play it every now and then, but as it is, it's a better game for me as a 24/7 daytime game.

Ideally, there'd be caves, sewers, or an under ground military complex to give a night time type experience at any time.

Its a survival simulator, night time is meant to be part of the game. Its supposed to scare you, you aren't supposed to like it... That's part of the game. People shying away from it because they don't like it, gets on my nerves, lol. You don't, HAVE TO play at night, but you conforming to my playstyle its just a much me conforming to yours.

The ignorance of simple biology astounds me. First people think anti-biotics will cure viral infections now they think animals see exactly the same as humans. I'm dumbfounded. My 11-year-old knows this stuff.

Before you act like a total smartass, you should read carefully what I wrote.

Oh, and again this is not a bad design feature for a "HORROR ZOMBIE SURVIVAL SIM". Running around in the dark wondering if you are going to die seems like a really good thing for that game. 

Totally, that is why Dean is changing that in the SA, because it is such a good design decision. You just don't get what game designing is about and I don't think you will. Just because something is realistic, it doesn't mean it is good. There is a reason for people not playing it and now I will explain to you why it is a bad design:

Nights could be a very core part of the game, if people would play it. However the night in DayZ is so ridicilous, that nobody wants to play it. No matter if it fits into the survival setting or not, it is not good implemented. Nobody says that darkness is a bad thing, but in DayZ it is just awful. Look at it, you can not see what is immediatly infront of you. Even if you run against a tree and run for 1 hour on one spot, you just won't notice because it is pitch black. Sure, it should be dark, so you can't see a player from 50 meters, but comon, everything black even within 5 meters? That is just bad for a game.

Even in Arma 3 the nights are way brighter, don't tell me it's supposed to be pitchblack.

Edited by Wayze

I totally agree with the OP, in fact was thinking about making a similar thread. I don't know why people hate on night time so much, it's still completely playable. In fact I find it to be more fun and challenging, especially on those pitch black nights where you can't see directly in front of you. It brings chemlights, flares and flashlights into play and makes it heaps riskier/more fun. It's a complete game changer. 

Also, zeds can see fuck all and it's hella easy to lose them if you do aggro them. Another handy thing is a lack of snipers and griefers at night time. 

A friend and I were playing in Elektro when it was pitch black, there were flares and chemlights being hurled everywhere and some bandit kept trying to shoot people with an AK from the firetower, but he could see shit all unless you were walking straight through a flare. It's just fun, people should give it more of a chance. I just find 24/7 daylight servers to be boring.

The problem I have with night is that I join a server local to me and it's dark, every fucking day I play so I join a US server and it's nice and daylight. The cycle is wrong - everything else in the game is accelerated (starving, infection, wear and tear (in the SA), etc) and yet the days are real days. It's not hard to find a night server either. Somewhere on the planet one will be night - your ping may not be great but you'll still be able to join one and all night servers have practically nobody on them so ping isn't that much of an issue anyway.

The game needs a 7 hour cycle say so we all get to appreciate the different times of day but keep the nights down to no more than 2 hours (so 30 mins twilight each side and 1 hour pitch black perhaps).

• Like 1

The problem I have with night is that I join a server local to me and it's dark, every fucking day I play so I join a US server and it's nice and daylight. The cycle is wrong - everything else in the game is accelerated (starving, infection, wear and tear (in the SA), etc) and yet the days are real days. It's not hard to find a night server either. Somewhere on the planet one will be night - your ping may not be great but you'll still be able to join one and all night servers have practically nobody on them so ping isn't that much of an issue anyway.

The game needs a 7 hour cycle say so we all get to appreciate the different times of day but keep the nights down to no more than 2 hours (so 30 mins twilight each side and 1 hour pitch black perhaps).

I agree with this. There should be some sort of accelerated time cycle.

1 hour pitchblack? Well, that's one hour all the players will play on another server.

Pitch black my arse.

I pretty much exclusively play during in-game night time.  There has been almost no complete darkness since 1.7.7 introduced moonlit nights, just to pander to anti-dark crowd.  Even in 1.6.x.x and before, ArmA 2's day/night cycle has always been completely satisfactory and plausible by any game standards, providing a believable mix of moonlit and cloudy night cycles dependent on the environment and calendar. 

With the excellent implementation of day/night and weather for a game, plenty of light sources to use in game, and with correct monitor and room light settings, the only problem that exists is with the player, their preferences, will to deal with challenge and ability to play in the most beneficial room environment.

• Like 1

Sure, it should be dark, so you can't see a player from 50 meters, but comon, everything black even within 5 meters?

Live in the backwoods, go outside on a no moon night, and say that again.

• Like 1

Totally, that is why Dean is changing that in the SA, because it is such a good design decision. You just don't get what game designing is about and I don't think you will. Just because something is realistic, it doesn't mean it is good. There is a reason for people not playing it and now I will explain to you why it is a bad design:

Nights could be a very core part of the game, if people would play it. However the night in DayZ is so ridicilous, that nobody wants to play it. No matter if it fits into the survival setting or not, it is not good implemented. Nobody says that darkness is a bad thing, but in DayZ it is just awful. Look at it, you can not see what is immediatly infront of you. Even if you run against a tree and run for 1 hour on one spot, you just won't notice because it is pitch black. Sure, it should be dark, so you can't see a player from 50 meters, but comon, everything black even within 5 meters? That is just bad for a game.

Even in Arma 3 the nights are way brighter, don't tell me it's supposed to be pitchblack.

Rediculous is your opinion. I for one think it is a reasonable facsimile of real nights and love that there are times when it is pitch black. All those other games that made it night but then made it so easy to see that really it was not worth it. DayZ gives you not just one tool to deal with the darkness but half a dozen and really turned it into a gameplay feature that is pretty wild. The problem is that a lot of people give up without trying it because it doesn't meet their immediate expectations and miss out of this awesome feature. 

People want self-bloodbags too so they can be anti-social KoS griefing asshats too, but that doesn't mean that requiring another person to bloodbag you is a bad design decision. 

Rediculous is your opinion. I for one think it is a reasonable facsimile of real nights and love that there are times when it is pitch black. All those other games that made it night but then made it so easy to see that really it was not worth it. DayZ gives you not just one tool to deal with the darkness but half a dozen and really turned it into a gameplay feature that is pretty wild. The problem is that a lot of people give up without trying it because it doesn't meet their immediate expectations and miss out of this awesome feature. 

People want self-bloodbags too so they can be anti-social KoS griefing asshats too, but that doesn't mean that requiring another person to bloodbag you is a bad design decision. 

Yeah, it is rediculous xD

You realise that you liked that comment:

Pitch black my arse.

I pretty much exclusively play during in-game night time.  There has been almost no complete darkness since 1.7.7 introduced moonlit nights, just to pander to anti-dark crowd.  Even in 1.6.x.x and before, ArmA 2's day/night cycle has always been completely satisfactory and plausible by any game standards, providing a believable mix of moonlit and cloudy night cycles dependent on the environment and calendar. 

With the excellent implementation of day/night and weather for a game, plenty of light sources to use in game, and with correct monitor and room light settings, the only problem that exists is with the player, their preferences, will to deal with challenge and ability to play in the most beneficial room environment.

Here it is written that it is not pitch black anymore. And on the other hand you say you love it to be pitch black? Well, kind of paradox don't you think?

You call people who kos anti-social asshats? Well, I have to remind you that this is a game. You know, like not real and stuff? To discriminate people who do not play like you, that is intolerance at its best!

Nobody hates the night, it is just that the night in DayZ mod is (or was, I don't give a sh*t) just weird to play. It doesn't feel authentic. I mean, I understand when people complain about something like third person, because it effects every game mechanic in the game. But why should nights be pitch black? Atleast see something like in a 5 meter radius, it doesn't have to be bright, but shapes maybe.

Also pitch black nights are very MP-unfriendly, because people who are able to get a brighter view have an huge advantage. That is why people just turn brightness to full when they play in dark, because otherwise they just don't see sh*t.

Now tell me, if I want to play on a nightserver, but I have no flares or flashlight, what am I going to do? Nothing, because I cannot go anywhere, not even like 5 meters because I just can't see anything.

Yeah, it is rediculous xD

You realise that you liked that comment:

Here it is written that it is not pitch black anymore. And on the other hand you say you love it to be pitch black? Well, kind of paradox don't you think?

You call people who kos anti-social asshats? Well, I have to remind you that this is a game. You know, like not real and stuff? To discriminate people who do not play like you, that is intolerance at its best!

Nobody hates the night, it is just that the night in DayZ mod is (or was, I don't give a sh*t) just weird to play. It doesn't feel authentic. I mean, I understand when people complain about something like third person, because it effects every game mechanic in the game. But why should nights be pitch black? Atleast see something like in a 5 meter radius, it doesn't have to be bright, but shapes maybe.

Also pitch black nights are very MP-unfriendly, because people who are able to get a brighter view have an huge advantage. That is why people just turn brightness to full when they play in dark, because otherwise they just don't see sh*t.

Now tell me, if I want to play on a nightserver, but I have no flares or flashlight, what am I going to do? Nothing, because I cannot go anywhere, not even like 5 meters because I just can't see anything.

Just about every server I've played on starts you off with road flares at least, and it's usually not completely pitch black. There's often enough light for you to make out buildings and whatnot. Finding more flares, chemlights and a flashlight wouldn't actually be that much of a challenge.

The thought occurs to me, maybe pick up flares, glowsticks, and/or flashlights when it is daylight? Maybe not drop the flares you start with? I try to always have an option for nighttime on me even if it is just glowsticks in my backpack. Then if I ever do log in during a dark period I can at least use those until a better option comes my way. I've also ran around with a G17 as my secondary because of the flashlight or even stuck a Rem 870 into a stash I know I can find later if needed. 

a moment before I read that "urban legends"-thread...

So night could be a great element of this game, if some of these legend stories are true...

Green Mountain... Black Forest... etc...

I would definitly play more in night :D

Nighttime brings a new tactical element into the game...do u light up a whole town with flares and go for a quick lootrun...but risk being spottet easly...or do u go for a more subtle approach with a lightstick up ur ass, easly detectable too...but not as easy as the flares. Or just black death ninja crouching tiger style and maybe take out the guy with the lightstick up his ass?

If u want eternal bambi style, go play 24/7 daytime...its that simple.

Edited by svisketyggeren

The thought occurs to me, maybe pick up flares, glowsticks, and/or flashlights when it is daylight? Maybe not drop the flares you start with? I try to always have an option for nighttime on me even if it is just glowsticks in my backpack. Then if I ever do log in during a dark period I can at least use those until a better option comes my way. I've also ran around with a G17 as my secondary because of the flashlight or even stuck a Rem 870 into a stash I know I can find later if needed. 

I don't think you will spawn with flares in the standalone and I don't think flares will be common either. So, how am I going to see? And there you got the second problem, if I had a flashlight I would attach it to my weapon or just hold it in the other hand. That is not possible in the mod which is destroying the whole concept.

If u want eternal bambi style, go play 24/7 daytime...its that simple.

If you want eternal bambi style, just play any mod on any server.

Edited by Wayze

I don't think you will spawn with flares in the standalone and I don't think flares will be common either. So, how am I going to see?

If you want eternal bambi style, just play any mod on any server.

Where exactly did u get the information that flares will not be common in the standalone??

Common in that same degree as in the mod I mean.

No, if u wanna treat urself with eternal disney bambi style...u log on to that happy place with 24/7 daylight, selfbloodbag, 3rd person, custom loadout, 5000 cars and helicopters and a personal asian dude to play ur character when u feel tired in ur fingers because there is no autorun.

If u have big manballs u play on hardcore servers with very low bambi population

Where exactly did u get the information that flares will not be common in the standalone??

Common in that same degree as in the mod I mean.

No, if u wanna treat urself with eternal disney bambi style...u log on to that happy place with 24/7 daylight, selfbloodbag, 3rd person, custom loadout, 5000 cars and helicopters and a personal asian dude to play ur character when u feel tired in ur fingers because there is no autorun.

If u have big manballs u play on hardcore servers with very low bambi population

Why do people never read what I write?

"...I don't think flares will be common either..."

It just would be unauthentic if there were flares everywhere and ofcourse kind of useless because nights in SA are not going to be pitch black.

Hardcore servers? xD

Oh man, I want to see the faces of the people playing DayZ SA the first days, thinking the mod was ever hardcore.

Edited by Wayze

Why do people never read what I write?

"...I don't think flares will be common either..."

It just would be unauthentic if there were flares everywhere and ofcourse kind of useless because nights in SA are not going to be pitch black.

Hardcore servers? xD

Oh man, I want to see the faces of the people playing DayZ SA the first days, thinking the mod was ever hardcore.

Why would flares not be common? Why would it be unauthentic? Do you know how many emergency road kits contain road flares? Both my cars in real life have them. In addition I can actually pick them up from just about any gas station not to mention any car parts store, Walmart, and so forth. 

Notice in SA we are looting broken down cars, finding road flares and a first aid kit would not be unusual. Hopefully we will be given an option to have a pistol and flashlight in hand together and or craft torches and other light sources.

Why would flares not be common? Why would it be unauthentic? Do you know how many emergency road kits contain road flares? Both my cars in real life have them. In addition I can actually pick them up from just about any gas station not to mention any car parts store, Walmart, and so forth. 

Notice in SA we are looting broken down cars, finding road flares and a first aid kit would not be unusual. Hopefully we will be given an option to have a pistol and flashlight in hand together and or craft torches and other light sources.

Where do you live?

Where do you live?

Minnesota U.S.A 

I also have a hatchet, candles, waterproof matches, blankets, bandages and such in my car, I was a First Responder for many years. Getting dumped in a ditch in the middle of a winter blizzard can be life threatening. I've done the 8 mile walk to the nearest civilization bleeding with a concussion with only one glove because the other vanished somewhere in the middle of the crash from the passenger seat. 

However, emergency kits are very common around here and emergency flares are not only good for being spotted during white out or foggy conditions but also can be used to get fires started if you lack other means. 

Minnesota U.S.A 

I also have a hatchet, candles, waterproof matches, blankets, bandages and such in my car, I was a First Responder for many years. Getting dumped in a ditch in the middle of a winter blizzard can be life threatening. I've done the 8 mile walk to the nearest civilization bleeding with a concussion with only one glove because the other vanished somewhere in the middle of the crash from the passenger seat. 

However, emergency kits are very common around here and emergency flares are not only good for being spotted during white out or foggy conditions but also can be used to get fires started if you lack other means. 

USA, why did I know that? ;)

Well in my country there are no flares in every car (never saw a flare in my life to be honest) and you cannot just go and buy one in the supermarket. You are talking about emergency kits in every car, but even that I have never seen in my life in a car and I have never seen an emergency kit with flares.

Probably there are flares in chernarus, but you could most likely count that number on the fingers of one hand.

Edited by Wayze

USA, why did I know that? ;)

Well in my country there are no flares in every car (never saw a flare in my life to be honest) and you cannot just go and buy one in the supermarket. You are talking about emergency kits in every car, but even that I have never seen in my life in a car and I have never seen an emergency kit with flares.

Probably there are flares in chernarus, but you could most likely count that number on the fingers of one hand.

How many M16A2s have you seen in firehalls?

If UN troops hit the ground there will be flares with them. Heck, ALICE packs are obsolete U.S. equipment.

Road Flares are not uncommon in Europe. In fact, there was an incident in 2012:

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/6/15/3089576/euro-2012-soccer-tournament