ace5762 (DayZ)

Morse code?

Would that even be legal?

Why wouldn't it? Not like you can't turn the game off or playing the game wasn't voluntary. Add in a EULA line or two and they would be golden.

An option for servers with text chat disabled and mic always on would be nice and encourage different ways of communication.

-.   - .... .. ...   ... -.-- ... - . --   .- -. -..   .- ..-. - . .-.   -.-- --- ..-   -.-. .- -.   -- .- -.- .   ... . -.-. .-. . -   -- . ... ... .- --. .   .- .-.. ... ---   ..- -. -.. . .-. ... - .- -. -..   -- --- .-. ... .   -.-. --- -.. .   ..-. .-. --- --   --- - .... . .-.   --. ..- -.-- ...   .- -. -..   -- .- -.- .   ... . -.-. .-. . -   -- . ... ... .- --. .   ..-. --- .-.   ..-. .-. .. . -. -.. :thumbsup:  :P

Whilst morse code is a nice idea, in practice, I don't think it's been widely used for many years, so I'm not sure if having hundreds of morse sheets just dotted around would be likely. I worked as a Coastguard for ten years and think I heard something transmitted in morse precisely once.

The occasions that morse is used (at least in a maritime environment) is generally in single letter codes signifying a specific meaning, and are often used in fog or poor visibility  - for example, Morse letter M (dash-dash, I think) means 'I am stopped', or K (dash-dot-dash) means 'I want to speak to you'.

Whilst some of those could be carted across to DayZ and could make for quite an interesting experience, I can't see it being widely adopted - let's face it, we're having a hard enough time convincing the playerbase not to shoot unarmed freshspawns in the face under the guise of 'banditry', so I don't think we'll have much luck convincing them that when someone in the dark flashes their torch in a certain way it means they want to talk. :p

I can't see it being widely adopted - let's face it, we're having a hard enough time convincing the playerbase not to shoot unarmed freshspawns in the face under the guise of 'banditry', so I don't think we'll have much luck convincing them that when someone in the dark flashes their torch in a certain way it means they want to talk. :P

And i must add if you see it flashing for about 10 to 15 times a a second you might want to take cover because that's someone shooting at you :lol:

Getting a bit sidetracked here, fellas.

The suggestion is essentially "make the flashlight turn on and off when I tell it to". Contemporary maritime morse-code usage doesn't really matter. :P

Code-sheets wouldn't be laying around. But they shouldn't need to be. Much like there are no navigation guides or Russian/English dictionaries in game. (though a library could have all these things) (hint, hint, Rocket)

It's up to players if they want to use and learn certain techniques, it's just that they'll only be possible if game-mechanics allow it.

Slightly off-topic, but along the same lines. The absolute best thing that could come out of DayZ development, in terms of balls-to-the-wall survival and improvisation, is for players to be able to use the available functions in handy ways that the devs didn't specifically intend or that they didn't anticipate.

• Like 1

I agree completely, Chabowski - at the very least, the function should be there to use should it be desired, I was simply indicating that the other part that was mentioned (the sheets) would be pretty unlikely.