Sign in to follow this  
Spot (DayZ)

Friends are taking a brake.

My friends that play Day Z with me are discouraged from playing anymore. They are telling me that installing and updating the mod has become to much work.

Once the mod is in working order, the next day, and in some cases in the same day, there has been updates.

By the time some of them finally get 1.7.1 working and then log out for sleep, the next time they log in, its 1.7.1.1. By the time another friend logs in to play, its 1.7.1.3... no 4.

The very next day, I'm patching up to 1.7.1.5 ... I think. And now theres more confusing steps involving the download and modification of Beta files.

My friends have told me that they are unwilling to keep up and have decided to stop playing Day Z until things slow down so they can play more and install less.

Is there a way to make it easier to keep up and install updates so I can get my friends back into the game?

I'll admit getting Day Z running (prior to six launcher) required a couple of minutes of work, but once you have it running, is it really so hard for you and your friends to update? You've already done the hard part.

Try Six Launcher. If your buddies can handle one mouse-click it should work for you.

First update I had to do took me like 5 hours with all the figuring out files, versions, beta versions etc.

Pain in the ass but you know what? Totally worth it.

Its true, with or without automatic updated all these quick and new updates cause problems( like servers not updating properly, having like 80% of servers on a previous patch and when most update a new patch is out...)

I understand its in alpha and changes will be made quickly but i do think Rocket should consider properly testing updates( like doing small scale testing like what was done on patch 1.7 was a good idea)

It's totally difficult to download 4-5 files, unpacking them and pasting them on DayZ folder.

Like... 2-3 minutes ?

Yeah. Your friends are just lazy.

It's totally difficult to download 4-5 files' date=' unpacking them and pasting them on DayZ folder.

Like... 2-3 minutes ?

[/quote']

Actually, manually downloading files takes much longer as there's huge traffic. US server is always offline for me and the only other option, the Sweden one has huge traffic. When there was the Germany server it was fine.

Downloading a ONLY a 25 mb file takes around 10 minutes ( the same time it takes for me to download above 2 GB of a game on steam, which does limit your download speed)

Even manually, what's the problem? Copy files into @DayZ\Addons directory. Are you retarded?

Actually' date=' manually downloading files takes much longer as there's huge traffic. US server is always offline for me and the only other option, the Sweden one has huge traffic. When there was the Germany server it was fine.

Downloading a ONLY a 25 mb file takes around 10 minutes ( the same time it takes for me to download above 2 GB of a game on steam, which does limit your download speed)

[/quote']

Try using the torrent?

Try Six Launcher - it updates the game automatically upon launching the actual application, and there is no downloading/moving files - as the six launcher does it all for you. Very convenient and allows for easy updates.

My friends that play Day Z with me are discouraged from playing anymore. They are telling me that installing and updating the mod has become to much work.

Once the mod is in working order' date=' the next day, and in some cases in the same day, there has been updates.

By the time some of them finally get 1.7.1 working and then log out for sleep, the next time they log in, its 1.7.1.1. By the time another friend logs in to play, its 1.7.1.3... no 4.

The very next day, I'm patching up to 1.7.1.5 ... I think. And now theres more confusing steps involving the download and modification of Beta files.

My friends have told me that they are unwilling to keep up and have decided to stop playing Day Z until things slow down so they can play more and install less.

Is there a way to make it easier to keep up and install updates so I can get my friends back into the game?

[/quote']

obligatory they should know what they're dealing with its alpha. it takes all of 1 minute are they really that friggin lazy?

Its true' date=' with or without automatic updated all these quick and new updates cause problems( like servers not updating properly, having like 80% of servers on a previous patch and when most update a new patch is out...)

I understand its in alpha and changes will be made quickly but i do think Rocket should consider properly testing updates( like doing small scale testing like what was done on patch 1.7 was a good idea)

[/quote']

They do test each release with a small group, even the hotfixes. It's just that 50 people testing a few fixes for 24 hours isn't going to net you near the bug results as 200,000 people testing it for just 30 minutes.

Also, updating servers isn't an easy process. You have to close the game, which generally requires making sure every current player is out of harms way. Plus, a lot of servers haven't been updating and sticking with the older code due to the problems with the last few updates.

As has been pointed out in many threads, there is one person working on this mod, and he has a lot more important things to do than create an installer and he certainly doesn't have the time to monitor hundreds of servers.

It's totally difficult to download 4-5 files' date=' unpacking them and pasting them on DayZ folder.

Like... 2-3 minutes ?

[/quote']

Actually, manually downloading files takes much longer as there's huge traffic. US server is always offline for me and the only other option, the Sweden one has huge traffic. When there was the Germany server it was fine.

what i think you need is a little of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEzuC5UoM8g

Even installing manually was easy. I don't understand how everyone had such a hard time.

Manual since I discovered the mod.

It's easy, for some.

Perhaps come back for actual release? We'll be enjoying the alpha and beta.

If you don't like the six launcher there is a torrent with an archive that you can extract straight to your ARMA directory.

Also, are you seriously complaining that there are too many updates and bug fixes?

Come on. The guys not complaining or lazy.

He's just not used to modding I guess and simply asking what he can do to get his friends who unlike him are lazy gits back into the game.

As said before. Six updater. Use the six launcher and it works like steam. Updating everything with one click.

If they can't handle that they prob' shouldn't be messing with their PC at all and sticking to retail.

Once the mod is in working order' date=' the next day, and in some cases in the same day, there has been updates.

[/quote']

All you do is copy and paste. How hard is that?