Sign in to follow this  
Gdaddy22

Night and forest

Hi, I think we should work on night time in DayZ. We should make something unique about night, other than freezing and being unable to see anything. So what about 

-some kind of animals that spawn only at night, because they're animals that hunt or go outside only during night, that makes alot of sense. Those animals would drop uniqe loot like skins or claws or something (trophies?)

-also, the range of zed's vision should be decreased much during night, that's a must-have for me.

-kind of zeds that only spawn at night because they're unable to roam around during day because sunlight is harmful to their brain. 

and also I really want something that would make the woods more cool, like putting this kind of thing into the forest, it would be really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdIJ2x3nxzQ

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 3

i like the night time better then day time, and would love if there was night only animals in the forest.

Maybe some cats , owls, fox  or wolfs?

Agree completely that night needs some features that make it different to daytime play. The idea you mentioned about skins, could they be made into cloaths maybe??

However it seems to me that the zeds already have decreaced sight at night....my perfect time to loot busy places is at night in the rain....that way you have visibility and audiable advantages :)

Zombies aren't increased in any way except for their rage.  As stated they do have decreased vision at night (which is how it should be since they're infected humans) but think their hearing stays the same.  Rather than have animals or zombies that only spawn at night (since in Mod they'll all be spawned in at server start) have them (animals, not zombies) be more active at night.  I would hope that they have the full lunar cycle in SA like the mod used to have, rather than full moon nights only.

I wish night in DayZ was like the night in 7 Days to die, extremely hard and a pain in the ass. That would be amazing and i may consider playing on night time only servers, a challenge is always fun. Also maybe make it extremely cold so you would have to warm up every once in a while, but then again, that would be just annoying as hell.

I would hope that they have the full lunar cycle in SA like the mod used to have, rather than full moon nights only.

ArmA and Vanilla DayZ does have full moon cycles, except the majority of the server have full moon nights in an attempt to keep their player count as high as possible.

Animals like the amur tiger which was mentioned in another thread. Grey wolf packs. Badger. Owl. Skunk. Bats. Red fox. All would be great. But I would like to see some prey for the predators, so you don´t just see an owl in a tree and it just sits there. They should hunt rats or mice. And bats should inhabit caves during the day, or the attic of some farm house etc.. Badgers and skunks with their burrows. And if ya get too close to a skunk what happens? hehe

Anyways, just more animals in the game period.. animals which make sense for that region and climate etc..

The thing I have wanted to see at night for DayZ is..

• Fireflies to illuminate an area out the field.
  • Ambience such as owls, crickets, wolf howls, etc.
  • Possibility of seeing shooting stars in the night sky.
  • Moon/weather patterns affects behavior of animals at night, including fish when it comes to fishing.
  • Like 1

i forgot! fishing (of course this must have come up before). maybe there are not actual fish in the water. but crafting a basic fishing pole seems like something that would for sure be done in a zombie apocalypse. maybe the best times to fish are realistic also, being dawn and dusk. so to be most successful at fishing, you would be putting yourself at risk given that zombies are more powerful when it gets dark. maybe fishing also requires you to dig for worms (while not actually making holes..) to use as bait. so anyways, this gives the player another thing to do while it is getting dark, or light out. plus the travel time while it is dark, to and from where the fishing takes place. maybe there would not be more zombies around fresh water, but there for sure would be more animals.

I did not find a thread dedicated to fishing.. so put my thoughts on it here.

On the topic of fishing, while it would probably be calming and relaxing to don some hip waders and fish in the middle of Toploka or Black lake with a pole, it'd be more efficient from a survival standpoint to set up fish traps and do other things than stand in the middle of a lake waiting to get sniped from the treeline hoping for a bite from a non human/zombie.

Ambient noises can be simply added in as 'sound track' set to random intervals, or should they actually add a large amount of animals then from the animals themselves.  Shooting stars while pointless would still be pretty cool, like watching fireworks in a game.  Never thought about it for game but yes, the phase of the moon and weather does affect animals and fish and would be a welcome mechanic to the game. (I have a Hawaiian moon calender that lists the best and worse days to fish/plant/harvest/ect).

• Like 1

It would be nice if sounds were played from a soundtrack that differs from one location to another.

I'm meaning things like going close to short field shrubs would play many cricket sounds where's the middle of Elektro might only have a couple.

I'm thinking with that wire fence rattle that plays from the soundtrack in the middle of the forest, that's the sort of thing I wanna get rid of.

Each town could also have its own background theme aswell if you choose to have the theme music on.

Would be cool if they could make the animals a threat in the night. Wolfs attacking you, possibly getting infected from snakes, Wild fierce boars. It's called the wilderness for a reason isn't it?

It would be nice if sounds were played from a soundtrack that differs from one location to another.

I'm meaning things like going close to short field shrubs would play many cricket sounds where's the middle of Elektro might only have a couple.

I'm thinking with that wire fence rattle that plays from the soundtrack in the middle of the forest, that's the sort of thing I wanna get rid of.

Each town could also have its own background theme aswell if you choose to have the theme music on.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was the way it works currently. :S

Example - in forests I only ever get the twig snap and a few other ambient sounds but in small towns I get wire rattling and the sound of a creaky door blowing shut in the wind etc.

• Like 1

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was the way it works currently. :S

Example - in forests I only ever get the twig snap and a few other ambient sounds but in small towns I get wire rattling and the sound of a creaky door blowing shut in the wind etc.

Maybe so, but I still get fence rattle when there isn't a fence in any sort of proximity.

I would prefer some ambient animal sounds for animals you can't see like crickets or distant wolfs.

But twig snaps and stuff should be triggered by actual players/ zombies and animals just like fence rattling.

Ya got a point there BigMike. Fishing with traps. This idea brought me to another. Crayfish. It is something easily caught in clean fresh water. No not all are found in Louisiana lol. They are eaten all over the world and in a survival situation, they would be an easy source of protein. Catch´m and boil them up..

In regards to ambient sounds. They are great. But sounds from actual animals in the world, even better. Like hearing an owl. Could search around and possibly find two glowing eyes up in a tree. The howl of a wolf from a distance, or close by? Anyways.. we shall see.

Whoever said fireworks....YES!. Surely they wouldn't be too hard to impliment, maybe some variation of the m16 with noob tube's flares Then have the god old Eat/drin/refuel/everything animation to set it. They could spawn in residential and markets as jus single rockets to signal people with, or even shoot at eachother....firework fight in Cherno!!!

I want to see flares (ones shot from flareguns/grenade launchers) and fireworks (Several types) as well in game too, as a zombie distraction as well as for general purpose or even as (weak) weapons.  I'd be funny as well to see bandits force a pair of survivors to get into roman candle fights, or even them just doing it themselves for fun, or even flaregun duels.  Using a fountain or pack of rockets to attract zombies to the edge of town or away from where you want to loot.  Or just setting up some fireworks out in a field for your friends and friendlies to watch.