SmashT

September Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, PAX, GDC China

I wouldn't be too sure of this.  The server combined with the economy server will be keeping track of thousands upon thousands of objects already.  I am they will be able to track a few items that you picked up stored somewhere else without issue.  

Since the items are still in the server, they will be factored into the economy, more wouldn't start spawning out of proportion.  

I see no reason that they would need to be deleted after a mere ten minutes.

But what's to stop the 100+ people dropping a handful of items each in their little 'building bases'? For instance, one of the little shack things in the Elektro industrial section, someone could drop 10 items in there and hope nobody finds them. The server would then have to track those 10 extra items, make a note of their co-ordinates, make sure they're the same quality as when dropped and it they get damaged swap the skin and contextual text on the items(and maybe the loot inside the items).

It would be easier to track them if they were in stashes in a segregated part of the server protocols. 

But what's to stop the 100+ people dropping a handful of items each in their little 'building bases'? For instance, one of the little shack things in the Elektro industrial section, someone could drop 10 items in there and hope nobody finds them. The server would then have to track those 10 extra items, make a note of their co-ordinates, make sure they're the same quality as when dropped and it they get damaged swap the skin and contextual text on the items(and maybe the loot inside the items).

It would be easier to track them if they were in stashes in a segregated part of the server protocols. 

You and I know nothing about programming.  I'll let Rocket figure it out. 

I have a feeling when DayZ is released as a standalone, the servers are going to be unstable like how GTA Online is.

I have to laugh every time I hear this. Although superficially you have a point, people don't play DayZ for the zombies... The zombies have been the biggest source of controversy ever since the mod was launched. The majority of the player base hate them.

They're shit and completely broken, yet the game is still extremely popular. It's the human interaction that makes the game special..not the zombies.

**Disclaimer** - I'm not saying I want, nor expect the game to be released without zeds, but in fairness you're throwing your toys out of the pram over a "non-feature"; "minor annoyance" is the preferred term I think. Again this isn't about how the game should or could be, simply how it is in it's current iteration; you know, the one that got so popular a standalone version was ordered?

I hear what your saying but I'm not here for the Mod, dont care about the Mod , was an original player of the Mod and soon as SA was announced I and some 20 + of us from our Group all stopped playing .

I'm here to play a Zombie Survival MMO that is being developed, when it's finished I dont care.

I have a feeling when DayZ is released as a standalone, the servers are going to be unstable like how GTA Online is.

I don't doubt it, when DayZ first hit the Kotaku feed back in March/April of last year, the servers were clusterfucked into oblivion. I wasn't able to even log in to a server for more than five minutes for a few days.

I think, unfortunately, people in general just need to sit back and deal with rough launches as commonplace. I miss the days, which arguably never existed (but they did to an ignorant child throwing in N64 cartridges and having them work 100% of the time as intended), where games simply worked when released. I could've just been ignorant, but I don't remember crippling launches pre-2003. The first one I remembered was SWG, and that's just my own anecdotal experience. Yet, I played that game for eight years afterward... so I think I could live with SOE's first three days being unplayable...

Either way, so long as a launch isn't hindered by purpose-built, hyper-restrictive DRM (i.e. SimCity and Diablo) then people should just recognize that it'll always be rough the first few days. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a game, even established ones, which release smoothly into the online realm. Black Ops was unplayable for the first day if I remember correctly, likewise with BF3 (which still has circa-launch bugs to this day).

Watching my son play GTA Online as I type, Runs fine no Lag. PS 3 based in Australia   ( personally to me it's just a shoot on sight game , but he's enjoying it )

I have to laugh every time I hear this. Although superficially you have a point, people don't play DayZ for the zombies... The zombies have been the biggest source of controversy ever since the mod was launched. The majority of the player base hate them.

They're shit and completely broken, yet the game is still extremely popular. It's the human interaction that makes the game special..not the zombies.

**Disclaimer** - I'm not saying I want, nor expect the game to be released without zeds, but in fairness you're throwing your toys out of the pram over a "non-feature"; "minor annoyance" is the preferred term I think. Again this isn't about how the game should or could be, simply how it is in it's current iteration; you know, the one that got so popular a standalone version was ordered?

I think you have a good point, there's more to the success of DayZ than zombies. And I'd agree with you that zombies have been broken since the mod came out, and thus haven't really affected the evolution of DayZ. But they have been there since the beginning...

There is also the issue of DayZ being designed within the framework of a zombie apocalypse. Both in terms of the actual in-game setting and the fictional lore of DayZ. Granted, the "lore" as a traditional term is sort of flimsy, as they haven't -really- fleshed out the backstory. But the gist that "a zombie apocalypse happened" is central to the current concept of DayZ regardless of what people play it for.

"The majority of the player base hate them", here I'm assuming you're referring to the broken state of zombies, not that the majority of players hate them as a concept. Please feel free to correct me if I'm being presumptuous.

If one acknowledges that zombies are broken in the mod, it implies that were they fixed (or were they never broken), one would have a more complete "DayZ experience". So in this light, one can see how they become a significant area for improvement (as you can't really call your game a "zombie survival" game without zombies). It doesn't really matter, in the end, whether or not people play it for the zombies or for the player interaction (in most cases, I believe it's both). Zombies are a crucial and fundamental aspect of DayZ, even the nomenclature of DayZ itself is reliant on the zombie genre.

Personally, if DayZ wasn't set in a zombie apocalypse, I doubt I'd be playing it as regularly if at all. People, nowadays anyway, tend to marginalize the setting/genre of games in favor of citing so-called "gameplay" aspects as being more worthwhile. To me, it's extremely important. I don't think (nor am I saying this is what you were getting at) that marginalizing zombies to any degree is warranted with DayZ, they need to be improved and revamped for the very reason that they've been broken for a while and they are a central concept of DayZ (albeit a poorly executed one).

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

wo, dont get ahead of yourself, base building and car customisation are a LONG way off.