Sign in to follow this  
kevinthegreat

How can I make my own mod?

Hello,

I have taken interest in making my own DayZ mod...

I have tried to search up on the internet a guide to make one, but no dice. (Or I may just be a bad searcher...) I have been told that you need to make the map in editor first (Which I have done), but I don't know what to do from there. How can I edit code? How to I make exclusive features? Are there any specific programs I should use for developing my mod? Please reply with helpful answers. I have seen another post on this forum regarding a similar situation. (And yes, I did take a look at Bohemia Interactive's website, but didn't find much useful information other than the terrain editor, which I won't really be needing (At least I think  :huh: . As you can probably notice, I'm new to this kind of stuff.)

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

SugarFreek

Hello there

Check you tube for editor tutorials and the forums at BiS are very helpful indeed.

Using the Map editor is only the beginning part of editing a mission. Dayz is "essentially" a very very complex mission.

Start learning the advances aspects of the mission editor ant that will lead you to the places you need.

One step at a time. It's not a quick or easy process, but stick with it the rewards are plentiful!

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

You need to understand how to make arrays interact, you have to learn ArmA code (which is simple but unlike anything else), how to compile .sqf's and .sqm's, you have to know the differences between them, how to make a function in game call for one of them to be activated without a giant HUD pop up for it... 

Long story short, you aren't going to make your own DayZ mod. I've been doing it off-on for 3 years (ArmA modding, not DayZ modding) and I can hardly make working guns.

Long story short, you aren't going to make your own DayZ mod. I've been doing it off-on for 3 years (ArmA modding, not DayZ modding) and I can hardly make working guns.

I feel that if I have enough patience and the knowledge to accomplish my goal, I think I can do it. Just because you can't, doesn't mean the same will apply to me.

I think the easiest way to start is probably to start a map in editor-mode and play around there a bit. 

Next step would be reading at BI-Forums. They have awesome tutorials there. But be aware that it's nothing you just do for fun. you will probably have to dedicate a lot of time into it until you are able to do really good stuff and most likely you will specialize in some part of the mod-making-process, finding others who will do the rest. Doing it all by yourself is a pretty huge task. 

Download the mod maker for arma.

click on what mod you want to make, then click create,

Voila!

That's not really an easy question.  I can't do it but I found studying the DayZ code itself, the basic file structure, arma file formats, and a bit of tinkering here or there has certainly opened my eyes.  Figuring out how someone else did it can certainly help you gain an understanding and even a higher appreciation for what we all take for granted. 

If you can install the bitools, and all the related programs recommended by the giants that blazed the modding trail, then you're about 1% there.

• Like 1

Download the mod maker for arma.

click on what mod you want to make, then click create,

Voila!

What is this "Mod maker" for arma you speak of? Is it just called Mod Maker?

It seems useful  ;)

Thank you all so much for your helpful suggestions. I really appreciate you guys helping me out.  :)

Hello there

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 2

Download addons for editor. Go to main menu on arma 2 oa.

Ctrl + e Then select what mod you want to make.