carbine781 (DayZ)

Base Building - Do's and Don'ts (DayZ Standalone)

I think if they move away from storage options and more to utility things in our base then people may just "visit" your camp. Maybe you have something they haven't built yet, they will just use it and move on. Then they can come back and use it again. Storage items should take a lot of work, then people wont horde as much.

This is actually a pretty solid idea. If some of the conditions could be cured/resolved by things we can end up placing in a "camp" but are not portable, people might just visit your camp, use the facilities, and move on. 

Maybe a comfortable bed/rest area that allows you to regain blood a bit faster than normal or cuts the time off of an injury making you limp. Spend 2 minutes in game resting in it and get a nice return on blood or shorten the healing duration by a good amount. 

A grill/campstove setup that is upgraded and not just the portable stove in SA might make food that is actually more filling or might be needed to make something like flatbread, roasted meats, smoked meat(which takes longer to spoil). I know I would stock up on meat, hit a camp with a "Smoke House" and get that meat smoked up so that it will last me weeks instead of days. 

Water Well/pump, just a small one would give people a new point to gather around, but should require some work to set up. 

• Like 2

I mean , you will only have spare time for base building if the loot is not balanced very well , unlike at the moment where on the average vanilla server you have a back pack full of cans in about 5 minutes .

In my opinion you should be spending most of your time just staying healthy , and out of trouble , and if the game is balanced right , this will take a majority of your time .

You're not going to give two shits about a base , if you have no food or water .

I real life, if you spent 0 time sleeping you would die in less than a week without the zombies and stuff trying to grab your extremely out of it body. I'm not saying we need a sleep mechanic, I think we need maybe a rest mechanic.

Sit by a fire and it would count as if maybe you had a nap by that fire.

Im not saying food should be common, I think maybe having warm food and drinks etc should have extra benefits.

At some point I think it would be good for the levelling to stop relying solely on what you can find from looting, because as I know sometimes you might be searching for hours and never have the luck to find a can of beans.

Its happened to me once, I died of hunger because two supermarkets were empty, as well as over 30 residential and farm loot spots.

Stick your camp/ base by a water source, that makes heaps of sense (boil some water to remove any dangerous infectious diseases).

Grow a couple crops from some very rare seeds/ seedlings, they got rotten fruit... Why not fresh stuff?

A camp simply makes sense for a survivor.

From what I can already see its barely possible to kill a single zombie with a baseball bat without bleeding now, if your bleeding use your clothes for rags low blood no friends with same blood type, your going got be week and cold.

You need a place to keep warm a (campfire) and keep yourself fed.

Camps add a lot to the survival theme in terms of realism.

Rule of 3s.

3 Minuets without Air

3 Hours without Shelter (This is suppose to be for exposure)

3 Days without Water

3 Weeks without Food

Honestly once you get your means of food and water you have a LOT of free time.  Yeah you might be able to fill up a backpack with food and drink after a half hour or so in a city, that's because we tend to horde such things in a city.  Now if DayZ took place completely in the woods with only the occasional hut I'd by the 'just scraping together a living with no time to dig a bunker'.But even then you might find the time once you get your 'basics' handled to make an improved campsite.  What happens you kill a large boar?  Are you just gonna eat your fill and let the rest of the fucker rot?  No, you're gonna find some way to make as much pork jerky as you can.

I feel like the devs saw this and took inspiration from it. To me it seems like we basically got what you wanted.